Page 1 of 1

Welcome to Glendale

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:11 am
by ImpInTraining
Glendale is a quiet Cumbrian village that relies on tourism as its main industry. The visitors are mainly ramblers. The village and immediate surroundings have, at intermittent periods in recent history, been renowned for fairy sightings.

In Victorian times it was famous for a short time in fairyhunter circles for its population of "little people." Arthur Conan Doyle is alleged to have stayed over as part of his quest to prove that fairies really do exist.

There are a number of Bed-and-Breakfasts in Glendale; the investigators have been set up with accomodations at "Molly's Bed and Breakfast", courtesy of Martin Richardson, a college of four of the investigators (Laurence, Petronella, Stephen, and Nicholas) and former member of the secretive occult group Club Nyctopia (Due to past experiences with the Mythos, Martin Richardson had experienced severe damage to his health. He is, to all practical purposes, house bound.)

It is Friday 06 July 2001. You all arrived in the Cumbrian village of Glendale earlier in the afternoon. You are all tired and hungry after your respective journeys. It is now early evening and you have had time to freshen up. You are staying in "Molly's B&B." Molly Brindle is in her forties, has a portly build but seems energetic and full of the joys of life.

Molly sees those who enter, obviously brought to the dining room by the lingering scent of dinner drifting throughout the house. "Oh, hi again. Go ahead and take yourself a seat. I'm just finishing up the preparations and we're about ready to eat."
ooc,At this point, go ahead and introduce your character and give the others a description of how he or she looks. Please double-check your private message sent to you to see what you know of the others prior to starting.

Re: Welcome to Glendale

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:15 pm
by Andrew
Spoiler:
OOC: I just copied and pasted my post from Dark and Moody.
Nicholas walks in and smiles and nods at Molly and then takes up a seat on the side of the table. After he's sat, he puts his camera on the table, flips it on and starts looking at the pictures he'd taken through the day.

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:56 am
by ImpInTraining
Molly sneaks a peek at what Nicholas is doing and spots the images he's sifting through. "Oh, hobby of yours?" she asks as she moves a pot off the burner of the stove top. "There's some wonderful scenery around here. Don't blame you for taking pictures."

There is sound of other people moving about the house as they make their way to the dining room.

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:50 am
by Andrew
"Hobby? No my dear Molly, it's what I do for a living." Nicholas states and then added, "Why whatever it is you are preparing smells divine. My wife isn't a cook so we have takeout more often that I or my waistline care to admit." He stated with a small laugh.

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:48 am
by ImpInTraining
"Oh really?" Molly said with a sly look. "Pity. I've always found the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach." She takes a wooden cooking spoon full of her stew and carries it over to where Nicholas sits, her other hand cupped beneath to catch any falling stew droplets. "Have a taste, tell me... enough salt?"

Molly wasn't an unattractive sort. She had dark red hair that hung down to the middle of her back - it was currently pulled back in a pony tail. Her eyes were green as grass. And this close, Nicholas could tell that beneath the musky scent of a woman cooking over a hot stove, she wore a hint of vanilla like perfume. She was a little heavier than average, but not so much that one might call her fat... just well rounded. She wore it well.

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:17 am
by yockenthwaite
Samantha enters the room, and sits down beside her husband. "Any good pictures?" she asks him. She looks towards Molly, and smiles briefly, wondering what is on the menu tonight.

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:29 pm
by ImpInTraining
Molly recognized Samantha from when the two checked in... and like a mouse caught playing with cheese, she quickly put the spoon of scalding hot stew into Nicholas' mouth and turned away back towards her stove and the food cooking there. "Salad will be ready in just a moment."

The clock on the wall says 5:56 PM.

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:15 pm
by yockenthwaite
Samantha raises her eyebrow, but says nothing directly about what she has just seen. "I'm tempted by salad, but what is the stew tonight Molly?"

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:47 pm
by Andrew
"Lava!" Nicholas stated as he spit it out into a napkin. "Oh by the Gods of old, that is scalding! Sorry Molly, I couldn't taste anything but pain." He then turned to his wife and smiled, "Good pictures? Why they're always good." Nicholas chuckled and added, "Anything great... No."

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:42 am
by ImpInTraining
"Oh!" Molly exclaims as she rushes back over to the table and grabs the glass in front of Nicholas with one hand, and a pitcher of ice water in the other to pour Nicholas a tall glass of liquid relief. "How careless of me. I'm so sorry," she says as she sets the glass in front of him. Placing the pitcher back in the center of the table, she then answers Samantha's question, "It's beef vegetable, nothing too fancy. But we're following it up with steak and potato."

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy
Laurence Hickman strides into the room, sniffing the air. "Something smells good," he says. "Good evening, Molly. Did you just say steak and potato? Sounds smashing!" He nods to Nicholas and Samanatha as he joins them at the table. "Evening, Mr. and Mrs. Hollis."

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:15 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Evening Professor," says Samantha, looking up as he sits down at the table. "I think I'll try the steak and potato too, for a change, though I will pass on the stew. Are you okay dear?" she asks her husband, turning to him with some concern.

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:17 pm
by Andrew
After taking a drink of water, Nicholas smiles at his wife, "Yeah I'm fine dear, it was more a shock than actual damage." He laughed, took Samantha's hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Good evening to you Professor Hickman. I can tell you from experience that the stew is very good... Hot but very good." He laughed again and turned towards his camera which he had left on during the stew incident. "Suppose I should put this away for now."

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:54 pm
by ImpInTraining
Molly has prepared several bowls of salad and places them about the table, filling up six places. Laurence knows Paul is still upstairs, and on his way down... he's not known to miss a meal. Molly would certainly take one of the spots, but the last spot remained a mystery. There was no ring on Molly's finger, so no husband presumably. He hadn't heard or seen any children in the bed and breakfast house.

Once the salads were all in place, Molly asked, "What brings you all to Glendale?" The salads are a delightful mix of vegetables with some parmesan cheese and a homemade dressing blended in. She set a few other pitchers around the table, providing milk, coffee, and tea to go with the ice water, but allowing everyone to pour themselves.

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:21 pm
by Thorn
Petronella enters the dining room, and glances about for an empty seat. Finding one, she nods to the others present and sits down. Looking at Molly, she smiles. "Hello again. What you got for us tonight?" She smiles a little at the others at the table, her blue eyes seem distant through her gangly black hair. She combs her strands away from her face with her fingers, then looks at Nicholas' camera. "Photographer? I'm Petronella...Waters...Journalist. Sort of."

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy
"I shall have to try the stew as well, then," says Laurence. He smiles at Molly as he helps himself to a cup of tea. "I've come to look into all these stories of fair folk and supernatural happenings in the area. Are they genuine, or is there a more rational explanation? I hope to settle the question definitively."

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:36 am
by yockenthwaite
"Surely it's nonsense," says Samantha, pouring herself a glass of water. "Isn't it far more likely that there is some sort of rational explanation, or that people are just making up the stories? I doubt that there is anything in it."

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:11 pm
by Thorn
Petronella turns her gaze to Samantha. "How can you be sure? We can't just dismiss all of these accounts as lies or crazytalk. That would be...arrogant."

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:29 pm
by yockenthwaite
"I can't be sure," replies Samantha, taking a sip from her water, "though I have firm religious beliefs, and would have great difficulty squaring those alongside the presence of faeries and such like. Perhaps I am arrogant. Maybe I'm wrong. But I'm incredibly sceptical about these claims. Sorry."

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:30 pm
by ImpInTraining
Molly regarded the conversation as she finished setting the table and asked, "Where is that other fellow off to? He does know it is dinner time, right?"

Shrugging, she sits down at one of the two empty places and says "The whole area has been riddled with folklore and 'sightings' of these strange fairy folk. But if you ask me, they're nothing more than spirits..." she says this as she makes a drinking motion with her hand and rolls her eyes. "I haven't seen anything of the like, personally. Them who've had a few too many of an evenin' talk about certain places being 'aunted. Don't believe it myself. But it does make for good stories for the tourists."
ooc,Ha, just found out you're supposed to be eating steak & kidney pie with boiled & roast potatos, carrots, spring cabbage, and broccoli. I gave you the cheap meal version. Sorry. Beats McDonalds, though. Molly is a source of information for you ... she will lead you to other parts of the investigation, so feel free to delve deeper into local folklore.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'm skeptical myself," says Laurence, "but I do have an open mind. It's possible that there is something to the stories after all. If it weren't, I don't suppose I'd be here. I'd be keen to hear some of the local stories if you have the time, Molly." He looks around for Paul. "I'm not sure where my manservant's got off to. He must be around somewhere."

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:47 pm
by Andrew
"I'm not really sure what I believe but I plan on trying to capture it. Funny because there is a movie out there that was made from a book, both titled Photographing Fairies. The main character, Charles Castle learns of this old tree in which little fairies fly around and goes to investigate. It was actually quite a good read and movie, so when I heard about Glendale... Well, being a photographer myself, I just couldn't resist." Nicholas spoke up, his attention on his camera apparently wasn't to absorbing.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ah, yes," says Laurence. "I'm familiar with Photographing Fairies. Essential background research for me. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was also convinced of the existence of faeries and sought to prove it. Did he once visit Glendale? I seem to have heard about it before, but I'm not quite sure where."

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:17 pm
by ImpInTraining
Molly poured herself a drink of water and took a long pull at it. "Didn't realize just 'ow thirsty I am." Taking up her cloth napkin, she dabs her mouth, then unfolds the napkin and places it in her lap. "It'said Arthur Conan Doyle, 'im 'oo wrote them Shrlock 'olmes stories, came 'ere once. Lookin' for faries'e was. Don't know if 'e ever found any. There is a small wood just outside the village. A young man goes there ev'ry day looking for these 'Little People'. Wastin' 'is time if you ask me..." She stuck her fork in her salad and moved bits and pieces about as she added, "And then that there Martin Richardson, e's interested in elves, goblins, and such-like. If you's want to know more 'bout ghosts and goblins, go speak wi''im."

Laurence, and Nicholas know of Martin... he is a member of the exclusive and secret Club Nyctopia and arranged to have them come for an investigation... although the details were choppy and hurried. Laurence undoubtedly had a mind to pay him a visit for more details. Petronella also knew of Martin... when she was looking for a good story, he was the one who suggested she might find all sorts of fantastic creatures in Glendale. She needed a good story, and proof of fairies or ghosts... well, that'd put her right on the front page, she was sure of it.

After swallowing a quick mouthful of salad, Molly mentioned, "Well, if you think you will be seeking the fairy folk, good luck to ya. At least you ain't comin' around trying to capture no ghosts like they 'ave been tellin' about."

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:44 pm
by Thorn
Petronella's ears perks up. "Ghosts? Who's seen ghosts? I've only heard there was rumours about fairies?"

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:57 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you," says Laurence. "I intend to visit Mr. Richardson tomorrow. I too would be interested in hearing about these sightings of ghosts. Have they always been associated with Glendale, or is this a more recent phenomenon?"

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:26 am
by ImpInTraining
Molly rolled her eyes at the notion of some ghostly spirit hovering over the floor and shaking chains. She cleared off the salad and brought about the stew, steak and potatos as she filled in the group about their most recent interest in conversation. "People say the Cranborne 'ouse is 'aunted. Owned by George Tennison, it is. 'E's a factory boss or something. retired 'ere last year, 'e did. Not sure when though. 'E doesn't like visitors much. Never even clapped eyes on the man. Sounds creepy if you ask me." She shrugged and took her seat again, taking up her fork and knife to cut up her steak into little pieces.

"If you want more about ghosts, you should visit 'The Goat', the pub at the centre of the village. Some say that the previous owner visits on some afternoons. Bill 'e was called, Bill Tarney. Load of codswallop is what I think! Probably Ted, e's the one that took over, probably Ted making up tall tales to get the ghost 'unters into 'is pub!" Molly offered, sticking a nice, juicy piece of steak in her mouth and chewing at it laborously.

About this time, Paul Chaplin entered the dining room. Molly motioned to the empty space at the table, "Sorry, we didn't wait for you. But you're in time for the steak and stew." She stood and got Paul's food from the stove, placing it in front of him.

Paul had actually just been in the other room next to the dining room tying his shoes and tucking in his shirt and overheard most of what Molly had to say about the local folklore.
Paul,In other words, feel free to backread through this thread and all info gained here is considered in-character knowledge. Just seems easier than having one of the other characters paraphrase for Paul's benefit.

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Glad you could join us, Paul," says Laurence. He waits for Paul to sit down and then begins cutting his steak and eating it. "Ah, most excellent! My compliments to the chef."

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:28 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Has anyone else investigated the reports of ghosts here before?" asks Samantha. "Has the local vicar been involved at all for example? Or is it just Martin Richardson? I must admit tales of ghosts alarm me even more than faeries, though, as you say Molly, some of them may be fabrications to drum up trade." She picks up her knife and fork and starts to eat her steak and potatoes, cutting the steak up carefully and eating slowly.

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:40 am
by ImpInTraining
Paul nodded to Laurence respectfully, took his seat and started eating, trying to gather where the conversation was going. He personally didn't didn't know what they were doing there other than Laurence asked him to come.

Molly shrugged and finished chewing a mouthful of food. "I don't know who all has been 'unting the spirits. Not really my cup o' tea." Looking to Laurence, she smiles and nods, "It is pretty good, even if I am a mite biased."

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:27 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Are there any other visitors in Glendale besides us?" asks Laurence.

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:29 pm
by ImpInTraining
Molly responds, "I don't know. They don't 'ave to check in with me. But I'm not the only Bed and Breakfast in town."

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:28 pm
by Mendolin
Paul gives his full attention to the meal in front of him.
In spite of the obscure things he has seen since he was paid by Laurence, he'd never consider believing in elves and goblins.
Heck, we're in the 21th Century, damnit.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:15 pm
by Thorn
Petronella asks Molly: "Do you know where these spirit sightings have occurred? Do you have a map of the area, so you could point out the "hot spots"?"

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:37 pm
by ImpInTraining
clever,Nice way of having me summarize, Thorn.
Molly nodded and wiped her mouth, then got up from her chair. She said, "I'll be just a moment."

From her office, she obtained a local map. Returning to the dining room, she laid it down on the table in next to Petronella, but centrally located so that everyone could see. "Cranborne 'ouse 'ere, The Goat is 'ere... 'aunted. Over 'ere is where people look for the little people. And Martin Richardson's 'ouse is um... right 'ere."

For dessert Molly brings to the table a large bowl of spotted dick and a large jug of steaming hot custard. There is just no way…

She smiles and says, "I have out the kettle on. I'll have a steaming hot pot of tea for you. Do any of you take sugar?"

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:06 pm
by Thorn
"Two sugars and milk, please," Petronella answers while she studies the map. "This is very helpful, thank you."

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:31 pm
by yockenthwaite
"I just take milk, thanks Molly," says Samantha, peering over at the map as well, while she eats her dessert.

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy
"One sugar, please," says Laurence. "My, this looks scrumptious!" He helps himself to some custard.

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:51 pm
by Mendolin
No milk or sugar for me!

Paul replies with a grin.
He pulls out his own map of the Lake District and carefully notes the locations given by Molly on his own map.

This could prove useful later.

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:31 pm
by ImpInTraining
Molly, having finished her dessert, starts cleaning up the table and left-overs. This gives the rest of the people at the table some privacy to determine what they want to do next during their stay in Glendale.

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:36 pm
by ImpInTraining
NPCing Paul for the time being,Andrew is currently involved in other things at the moment, but I hope to see him return to the game soon.
Nicholas looked over to Laurence and asked, "So what are we here to investigate, really? Is it the ghosts... or is it the fairies? Or maybe... maybe if this place is so active it's the bigger picture?" He taps his camera as he says "Whatever it is, I'll be sure to have some film ready when the time comes."

Looking over to his wife, Samantha, he says "Honey, I know you just hate this sort of thing. If you want to curl up with a book, or take a nice hot bath while we go explore, I'm perfectly ok with that."

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:50 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Oh that's quite a tempting suggestion," says Samantha, squeezing Nicholas's hand, "but - honestly - I'd rather come along to keep an eye on what happens. And I'd like to spend time with you, even if it does involve looking into things like this."

[assuming you meant Nicholas in previous post - he's Samantha's husband, the photographer, not Paul]

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:05 am
by ImpInTraining
laughing,Yeah... friendly group here. LOL. I'll edit the message to be correct. Sorry Paul and Samantha.

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:34 am
by Andrew
Spoiler:
Wait... I thought it was Nicholas and Samantha. Damn I get dumped in real life, don't need it in the game!
Nicholas smiles and nods, "Good, I'm actually glad you'll be coming along. Let's us spend sometime together, contrary to popular belief... I love to spend time with my wife." He leans forward and kisses her on the cheek.

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy
Laurence nods when he sees Paul writing on his map. "Yes, good idea," he says. Then he addresses Nicholas. "I think we should talk to Martin Richardson tomorrow morning as our first stop. I'm sure he'll have more information that will be of use and will be able to direct our investigations. I'm interested in examining any and all unusual local phenomena, so, yes, the bigger picture. Let's see what Mr. Richardson has to say and then take our next steps accordingly."

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:10 pm
by Mendolin
That's fine by me, Professor.

Paul replies while studying his map for the best way to Richardson's place.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:45 pm
by Thorn
"I agree," nods Petronella. "We should investigate all occurrences. At least I will." She stirs her tea, and loos out the window.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:27 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc question for everyone,The night is still young, only a bit past 6PM. Did you have any intentions for tonight? Or do we just jump to the morning?
Petronella had seen some strange things in her time on the journalism racket, but to catch something like this happening ... ghosts, goblins, fairies... any proof of that would skyrocket her career for sure. She knew the rest of the people at the table were acquaintances to each other... some were friends... but none of them owed her anything. She also knew instinctively that none of them were competition. They seemed to know Martin Richardson also... so she's curious as to what their interest is in this sort of thing. It might be in her best interest to convince them to allow her to tag along. Together, they could cover so much more ground than if she were to go about it alone. And if there was trouble, she'd certainly appreciate the extra muscle on hand.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I don't have anything planned for tonight, unless I know that [b]Martin Richardson[/b] wouldn't mind receiving visitors in the evening.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:58 pm
by Thorn
Petronella turns back to the others around the table. "So....I know my own interest in this...But what about you all? What brought you here? If I may ask, that is..."

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:22 pm
by Mr. Handy
"As I said earlier," says Laurence, "I'm here to investigate the claims of supernatural occurrences in the area to determine once and for all whether they are genuine or there is some other explanation. Paul here is my manservant, and he goes where I go."

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:43 pm
by Andrew
Nicholas smiled and laughed, "Seemed like the thing to do, you know? I've always been fascinated with the occult and supernatural. I'm just hoping that it can actually be filmed and not like those fuzzy UFO photos those Americans take. I want clear pictures with perfect clarity. Let people try and rip it apart. No photoshop, no alterations. There is the proof."

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:23 pm
by yockenthwaite
"And I'm here to spend time with my husband," says Samantha, "though as I've said my views on the occult and supernatural are somewhat different from his."

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:51 pm
by Mendolin
Mr. Handy wrote:Paul here is my manservant, and he goes where I go.
Smiling at this statement, Paul nods.
He's actually amused, that the Professor keeps introducing him as his valet. No offense taken.

Why don't we pay this Richardson a visit now? It's not that we have anything else important to do.

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:47 pm
by Andrew
"I could go for stretching my legs a bit and you never know what photographic opportunities lie in wait. I'm for going to see him." He turned and looked at Samantha, "What do you say my love?"
Spoiler:
OOC: Is his camera a professional grade SLR? The type where you take the lenses off? Also this is modern times as well correct? His his camera digital then?

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:35 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Why not?" says Samantha. "It's not too late is it? And it might be nice to see some of the surroundings on the way there, though we won't see as much as we will in the daytime."

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:14 am
by ImpInTraining
Nicholas,A professional photographer? He can have a nice 35mm with all the lenses and whatnots... and a digital camera as well.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, capital idea," says Laurence. "I don't think he'll be too put out by evening visitors. I am acquainted with him, and I'm confident he'll see me. If for whatever reason he cannot, we can always return in the morning."

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:58 pm
by Andrew
Spoiler:
Just didn't want to take anything for granted was all.
"Excellent! I think I'll bring my small digital for this outing. I don't think I'll need anything better for just a friendly visit. Besides dear, you'll get to see the nightlife here." Nicholas stated.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:49 pm
by Thorn
Petronella smiles sweetly at the photographer. "Mind if I tag along?"

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:22 pm
by Mendolin
Standing up, and revealing he ate too much fast food lately, Paul says:

Well let's go then, I pretty much figured out the fastest route to our friend.

And with a inviting gesture he adds:

Would you mind coming along, Professor?

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy
"Of course," says Laurence, rising from his seat. "By all means, lead the way."

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:41 am
by ImpInTraining
Grabbing some jackets (and hats if desired), the party leaves Molly to clean up after dinner and make their way to Martin Richardson's place.

Go to this thread to continue.