Page 1 of 1

Got Your Goat

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:42 am
by ImpInTraining
Once the tea is done, Martin bids the group good night and lets them usher themselves to the door, preferring not to stand if he can avoid it.

The sun has gone down now, and the night air in Glendale is cool and damp, with a hint of fog off in the meadows. There are still a few villagers wandering here and there, and offering the visitors (you) smiles and friendly nods in passing. Getting directions to The Goat isn’t hard. It is the center of the town and very popular by the locals. People laughing, talking and singing can be heard from blocks away.

(Paul – look in your private messages.)

Re: Got Your Goat

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'm concerned about Martin," says Laurence softly. "I didn't want to say anything in front of him, but it sounds like he may be suffering from either Alzheimer's or Mad Cow Disease, which have similar symptoms."

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:47 pm
by Thorn
Pet looks to Laurence when he expresses his concern. "Could just be old age. Seniors do tend to forget things more easily. It's obvious he's suffering from something or other, though, I agree with that. Same thing could be affecting his memory." She looks to The Goat, and runs a hand through her hair to make sure everything's in place before entering the local club scene.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:47 pm
by Mendolin
With a waving gesture Paul wants to stop the party for a moment, because he has to take a closer look at something curious.
Catching eye-contact with Laurence, he expresses a strange kind of urgency.

Approaching the small alley where he saw "something", he says:
Excuse me Sir, may I ask you for light?

He produces a cigarette from under his jacket.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:34 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Of course," says Laurence, playing along. He takes out a lighter and ignites it, holding out the flame for Paul.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:43 pm
by ImpInTraining
As Paul looks back to and speaks to the obviously empty alleyway, people start to wonder about the man's state of sanity.
Paul,Roll sanity, 1d3/0 please.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:04 pm
by Mendolin
Thank you, Boss.

Paul takes a deep breath of smoke and relief. He silently rubs his eyes and smiles at Laurence.

Lets go on. Sorry to interrupt, but man have their vices.

What the heck?! Paul half expected that it was a trick of the shadowy alley. He muses about some connection between the romans and lake district, imagine that the empire once occupied countries even that far from Rome.He couldn't point it out though.

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy
"Any time," says Laurence, wondering what that was all about. He puts away his lighter and heads into the pub, intending to ask him at a later time when nobody else is around to overhear. He knows his servant must have had his reasons for his action and that Paul was most likely concerned for his safety, but there doesn't appear to be any danger at the moment.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:14 pm
by ImpInTraining
Following the slight distraction, the group finally made their way to The Goat. The aroma of fish and chips, beef stew, and more flowed freely outward seeking to lure more people in. Were it not for the fact of the large meal they had earlier, the investigators might find their stomaches growling. There is a lot of talking going on inside. Peering in through the windows, you can tell the place is very busy. Looks like perhaps everyone in town comes here to socialize. In the back by the bar there are some men singing folk songs.

There is a hearty fire burning away in the large fireplace that warms the room.

The landlord is stood behind the bar pulling a slow pint of a very dark and frothy evil-looking concoction called "Devil's Eye" for one of the locals. Other hand pumps are labelled with equally mysterious brews: "Bishops Dingle", "Old Speckled Hen", and "Ted's Shank".

The landlord is a portly gent with a large, red and pockmarked nose. He is sporting a large bushy mousy beard that is tinged with grey. He finishes pulling the pint and hands it over to the customer who joins a group of his fellow villagers at a table.

He noticed the investigators enter and with a smile calls out, "Greetings to ya strangers. What can I get for ya? Do you want a real ale or one of your wussy town-beers from a…bottle?"

The party detects no animosity amongst the pub dwellers towards themselves. Everyone seems rather cheerful and accepting to the visitors.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:25 pm
by Thorn
Pet smiles and makes her way over to the bar. "I'll have some of the local brew, thanks."

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:44 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'll have a real ale, of course," says Laurence, also approaching the bar.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:03 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Can I have a glass of white wine?" asks Samantha.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:42 am
by ImpInTraining
The bartender smiles when given such an open order. He pours the strongest of the local brews on tap and passes the mugs over to Laurence and Pet, then pours a glass of red wine for Samantha. "What brings you all to Glendale?" He already suspects he knows the answer, but uses this common phrase as an ice breaker.

Laurence thinks he sees Martin's sister off in the corner, very cozy with some man.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy
Laurence takes a swig from his ale. "Thank you, it's quite good," he says. "We're in Glendale because of the stories we've heard about the Little People and hauntings. In fact, this very establishment is said to be haunted."

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:35 pm
by ImpInTraining
"Stories? Oh, lads and lasses... there are plenty a story to tell. Trust me on that. Why it is indeed true that even The Goat is the common pacing ground for a ghost." The barkeep straightens and absently grabs a mug and dishrag and starts to clean it as he mentions, "Same thing happens ev'ry time. Ol' Bill Tarmey comes back. He has been back what, four - nay... five times. He is always workin'. Wiping the tables, emptying the ashtrays, or pulling a ghostly pint. His favorite was 'Black Goat'. Made it himself 'e did. Bastard took the recipe to his grave..." A cross look passes the barkeep's face for an instant, but gone as quickly as it shown up. "But these fine patrons..." he waved his dishrag toward the crowded bar, "they'll be more than happy to chew your ear with their tales."

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy
"Did you know Bill Tarmey personally?" asks Laurence. "How did he die?"

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:30 pm
by ImpInTraining
"Aye, I knew Bill Tarmey. He died twelve, nay - thirteen months ago. Doctors said it was a massive 'eart attack," the man behind the bar confesses. "Could be 'e seen a ghost o' his own." He shrugged, then leaned back. "With Bill gone, and no successors, the pub was up for sale. I moved quickly, seeing this lucrative business for what it is - spent every last dime I 'ad saved to purchase The Goat outright from the city."

The rest of the pub continues to go along with their merry ways. Not an angry sod in the joint. Bar songs continue to lift up from one of the corners. Linda Brown continues to feel her way through the crowd from man to man. She seems very promiscuous. Paul stepped away from the group, intending to mingle.
ooc,Going to try to find a replacement player for Paul. Poor lad, must be shaken up from that vision he had outside the tavern.

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Laurence notes Linda's pattern of movement through the pub and positions himself so that he'll be in her path, giving him the perfect opportunity to talk to her.

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:52 pm
by Thorn
Petronella sips her drink, and turns to look at the bar's patrons, noticing Linda.

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:50 pm
by yockenthwaite
Samantha sips her drink, for a moment looking disapprovingly at the wrong type of wine served, but deciding not to complain this time. She looks around the pub with interest, taking the chance to people watch, and listening to snatches of conversations.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:08 pm
by ImpInTraining
The time passes, and the group takes some time getting to know some of the regulars in here. A right cheerful lot, definitely friendly to tourists, welcoming, and all too eager to share their own stories once asked.

Laurence does eventually intercept Linda and she mistakes him for someone trying to pick her up. Linda is middle-aged but has kept her looks; she appears youthful for her age. However, dry lines at the corners of her eyes betray her true years… She is a buxom woman with long straw-coloured hair that she is wearing tied in a ponytail. She is wearing a necklace with a silver pendant the dangles in her cleavage.

With a laugh, she says "Sorry buddy... I'm not that drunk yet. You're as old as my father." After a little awkward explanation, Laurence manages to inform Linda that he is good friends with her brother. She apologized at the mistake, and admitted ignorance on the goings-on in and around Glendale. "That's Martin's past time. Oh sure, plenty of people seeing things, but have a few more of those brews you're drinking, and you'll be seeing things too," she laughed. "Excuse me," Linda said as she spotted a younger, more handsome man looking her way. "I think I know that bloke." She moved on.

The stories gathered from the tavern folk ranged from classic ghost tales, to spritely fairies happing from flower to flower.... goblin-like creatures taking household pets, to visions of large roman armies marching along the countryside. Nothing seemed to be isolated to any particular spot, nor reliably repeatable for first-hand experience.

With only a few brews in their stomach, heads started to swim as the strong alcohol content started to take effect. It wasn't long before the group agreed to turn in for the night and pick up the investigation in the morning.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:18 pm
by ImpInTraining
OOC: Post

As a reminder, the group has uncovered several areas in which they could continue their investigation.

1) There is a student who frequents the woods looking for 'little people' according to Molly.
2) Cranborne House (owned by George Tennison) is allegedly haunted according to Molly. George Tennison, according to Martin, has a liking of Victorian period artifacts and furnishings, and a fascination for fairy-folk and maybe some pictures as well.
3) You could revisit The Goat for further information.
4) You could do some investigative background checking on Martin Richardson if you so desire.

Let me know where you wish to go in the morning.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:10 pm
by yockenthwaite
OOC,I think Samantha would favour the Cranborne House option, as much as anything. It's directly relevant (even if she will still think it's a load of nonsense), and better than hunting around the woods looking for a student type, or similar.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm for heading to the Cranborne House too. I also wanted to mention to [b]Linda[/b] that I'm concerned about [b]Martin[/b]'s health and to ask her about it.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:13 am
by ImpInTraining
Linda returns Laurence's concern for her brother's health... and his unnatural aging. She is not sure what the cause is, but Martin absolutely refuses to see a doctor over it. Quickly, she puts it out of mind and continues with her frolicking.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:42 pm
by Thorn
Petronella wants to go to the woods to look for the student, or even the little folk herself. After a modest breakfast, she excuses herself and asks Molly for a map of the woodland area so that she won't get lost. She also asks for a packed lunch and a thermos of tea.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:44 pm
by ImpInTraining
Though you don't have to, I would suggest keeping everyone in one group. Naturally, Pet came here alone, so she's within her rights to go solo like that. But the difference of plans would come up during breakfast... and give everyone a chance to nail down a coordinated plan of attack on this investigation.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:33 am
by Andrew
Nicholas nodded to his wife's idea, one sounded just as good to him as the other.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:02 am
by Anatomist
ooc:,Hey all. Seems im taking over Paul Chaplin and will do my first post now. As far i can tell,Paul is following Laurence (his boss) around doing his job. To GM: Is the breakfast over? Petronella seems to have moved on. Just abit confused on that one. Ill post as the breakfast is not over and correct the post if told so.
Paul awakes with a headache from the brew drinking and arguing with and old girlfriend the nigh before. He washes his face with cold water and drinks a large glass of the cold water before he goes to the common breakfast room at the B&B.

'So whats the plan then' he asks Laurence when the man appears in the room 'I dont mind going and pay Cranborne House and George Tennison a visit and hear what he has to say about this ghost/fairy/alien nonsense' Paul grabs a toast and starts chewing.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 pm
by Thorn
"Allright," Pet replies when everyone seem to want to go to the Cranborne house. "Guess I'll tag along, then."

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:39 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc: I was just trying to assess where everyone was going before opening the next thread. Breakfast scene would have been filled with PC small-talk, which we've handily stepped around in the interest of pushing the game forward. So... with thanks to Pet who's decided to be a team player... we're off to the Cranborne House...

Please go to this thread to continue:

http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtop ... 181&t=2574