Page 1 of 1

In Media Res - The Hive (Threshold of danger)

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:12 am
by Dave Syrinx
Chapter two - upcoming briefing and recap.

All players

Enter

The team assembles at the end of the line. At the end the grey walls of the tunnel gets tiled with orange squares of polished metal. At a gap in the wall, a crystal clear, solid sheet of glass covers a hallway in to the Hive.
Inside the glass, two cameras almost undetectable follow the activity on the platform.
The sound from hidden speakers come from the square lighting fixtures embedded in the metal tiles to the left and right.

Collins moves the scanner over everyone in the party:

Johnny
Kim
Heather
C.L.
Larsen
Crawford
Hale

Collins then monitors his own vitals...
Collins only (ImpInTraining),The civilians [b]Johnny [/b] and [b]Kim[/b] have three hours left before they turn in to a comatose state. [b]Heather[/b] is affected at a ten times higher level. But she is, as it seems from the reading - immune to the virus. [b]C.L.[/b] is bad, he´s in the last stages of the respite before coma. He seems unaware of it and is not wearing his mask. A cigar sits nailed between his lips as he covers the tunnel from pursuers. According to the reading he should feel acute fatigue and sensory loss of his arms and legs. His heartbeat is alarmingly elevated. [b]Larsen[/b] shows no signs of being affected by the virus. [b]Hale[/b] and [b]Crawford[/b] neither have been infected. As [b]Collins[/b]... Checking his own readings again, Collins is sure that according to the machine - he´s safe. The prognosis for C.L. and the two civilians are bad if not critical. The girl... is another matter, she should be dead ten times over. Even though she has been running for a good spell, she´s hardly breaking a sweat. No abnormal levels in her system. Just the toxin from the virus. And that is not affecting her.
Heather heaves herself up on the ledge by the subway platform and lets herself be monitored by the medic.
She feels safe and calm as she´s been saved by this group of people. Maybe the world can be saved after all?

C.L. stays on the tracks and bites his cigar and aims down the tube with his MP5, flashlight off.

Larsen Lets Collins check his status. As do Hale and Crawford while watching the odd entrance to the Hive.

Kim takes a seat by the little girl and puts an arm around her. "Don´t worry, we´ll be right out. These officers are really good at what they do." At least, she hopes they are...
Johnny (Kabukiman),Johnny knows how he got out by this hall, however there was no glass barrier here then.

Re: In Media Res - The Hive (Threshold of danger)

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:16 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Update posted.
OOC: I need a CONx5 check due to the ordeal of the last couple of hours. At this time, fatigue might set in. Should you fail to roll below CONx5, you´ll act with half value on your skill checks.

Welcome back!

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

In spite of the grueling ordeal, Larsen's adrenalin is still surging. He is relieved that he has been reunited with the rest of his team and that his suit had not been breached. "Once the scans are done," he says, "we'll have to see about getting inside. I can try to interface with the Hive's systems with my laptop and see what I can find out."
OOC,Invisible Castle is still down, so I rolled real dice and got a 58. My CON x 5 is 75.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:34 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Kim looks at Collins as he surveys her status. What had he said earlier?
Knowing she´s probably in no good condition, having no mask to use and having been unconscious she shrugs and decides to help with figuring out a way to get inside. She still feels alright and has some knowledge of opening doors...
She gets up on the platform and moves closer to the glass entrance. As she steps closer the message from the speakers stops abruptly. By her feet, the tiled floor she just stepped on recessed slightly. There are two rows of black marble tiles.
The lights in the fixtures creating a checkered pattern fade away, leaving the platform slightly darker than before. Only the lights from inside the corridor spill out on the platform. Kim stops at once.

Larsen checks the laptop. He gets up an overview of the Hive.

A blinking icon indicates their position at the bottom of the conical structure. Then the image flickers and the hardware goes offline. -No Signal- CHECK WIFI!
Spoiler:
Roll attempt #1 @comunidad umbria.
:mrgreen:
- Tiradas (1)

Motivo: CON check @50 [10 x 5]

Tirada: 1d100

Dificultad: 50-

Resultado: 18 (Exito)
Notas de juego

External dice rolling for PLAY@YSDC

CON x 5 check for Kim in "In Media Res"

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Dammit," mutters Larsen. "I had a map, but my connection just went down. I don't know if the Red Queen cut me off, or if there's some other cause. I'll try to reestablish it." He tinkers around, doing his best to find a way back in.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:46 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Trying to hook up to the Umbrella network again shows being fruitless. Larsen attempts to access some of the logged files from the previous session... However the image is jumbled and no specification data can be regained. From memory Larsen can recollect that there was a mention of a control room, a dining hall and the Red Queen chamber - all at the bottom of the Hive structure.
This entrance is probably leading to all three of these locations.

Crawford checks her tracker. "I can only access the mall from this... Eh, what used to be the mall."

With the mall partially blown up, the radio scrambling is down. Now, the team gets all kind of reports from the emergency area surrounding the mall. From those reports, they hear that a couple of teams are sent down in the rubble to look for the terrorists who set this plan to work.
By that it is evident that using the comms from now on is a bad idea.
Crawford motions to the others to shut the comms off. Then shouts in her mask "Shut down!!" She makes a horizontal movement with her right hand at her neck.
Con-status C.L.,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3187457/]Passed[/url]
Con-status Hale and Crawford,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3187465/]Passed[/url]
Con-status Heather,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3187468/]Passed[/url]
Con-status Collins,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3187472/]Passed[/url]

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

Larsen nods and disables his comm. "From what I remember of the map," he says, "the control room, dining hall, and the Red Queen's chamber are all at the bottom of the Hive, where we are now. We'd have to go up to get back to the surface and any exit from the Hive, but the Red Queen isn't about to let us walk out of there. I think once we get inside, we'll need to deal with her. Her defenses will be strongest there, however. She is programmed for self-preservation, so it won't be easy to shut her down if it comes to that."

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:39 pm
by Dave Syrinx
OOC:
Spoiler:
You are actually entering at the bottom level via this entrance you are at. That is if you gain access.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:47 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Thanks, I've edited my post above.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:48 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Kim senses the urgency for them leaving this place. She gauges the sheet glass and picks up a break-glass-hammer from her tool bag. "Might work for opening this door as well..." She takes one step closer to the glass.
As she does, a red line start to shine around the rim of the opening in the wall.
The red line moves inwards towards the center of the sheet glass, creating a square pattern of light inside the thick glass.
Then at the far end of the corridor a similar pattern shines up.

A hissing sound can be heard and suddenly the air between the two doors is filled with red laser light. A maze of red shining lines make her face looks as red as her hair.

"Maybe not." She mutters and takes a step back again. The hissing stops and the lights abruptly disappear.

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Some kind of pressure plate," says Larsen, examining the floor carefully. "We'll need to find some way to neutralize it - or the lasers. Smoke blocks lasers. Does anyone have any smoke grenades?"

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:38 pm
by kabukiman
Johnny was feeling very tired.
-I really need to go to the gym. If I survive that crazy HAL.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:07 pm
by Dave Syrinx
C.L. tosses two smoke grenades Larsen´s way. "Here, L" His breathing is getting a bit heavier.

The mechanic stands still and waits for Larsen to get the grenades.

From the tunnel, they all hear rubble being moved as if a rubble plow or tunnel drill were moving it forward.
In the comms the UBCS officers hear a feed get clearer. "Get down! Those beams. Not lasers - cutters!!! Aaaaah. Hssssss - peeeeep."

The speakers hidden within the metal tiles come to life again. "Sector 2F secured."

Johnny
feels that the weight of the gun sack he´s carrying will slow him down even more than the fatigue. If he is to vacate this platform he better drop it and pick a favored weapon for the last bit of this journey.

"Get those doors open!!" Crawford shouts.

The girl named Heather turns towards the glass entrance and pulls her sweater tighter as if seeking some kind of comfort.

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Everyone stay down!" says Larsen, dropping low. He retrieves the smoke grenades and speaks into his radio. "This is Larsen of the UBCS. Who's in there? Can you let us inside?"

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:29 pm
by kabukiman
-Anyone need a extra weapon and ammo? Cause I'm getting tired of having it at my backs.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:38 pm
by Dave Syrinx
The radio sputters. "Ah, ahhh...This is UBCS ALPHA team. Redfield here. We´ve been cornered in the dining area. Z-3. One of the corridors leading to the queen´s chamber was trapped. The team got minced by laser cutters. I´m injured and retreating through Z-3. Where´s your location? Over!"

Kim helps Johnny with the bag and picks a shotgun from the it and slings the rest over her shoulder. She takes cover behind the ledge of the platform as Larsen ordered and pulls Heather with her.

From the tunnel comes four blue light beams, scanner lights that flickers and a crashing sound comes as something breaks free from the rubble.

"Keep a steady aim!", Hale shouts. C.L. nods and spits his cigar out. "Come on baby.."

While down on the tracks, Collins uses the med scanner to verify what´s coming their way. It reads: Processing data...

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We're Bravo team," replies Larsen, "and we're just outside the underground entrance to the Hive. We came through the subway from the mall. There's some sort of pressure plate that activates a whole slew of red beams that look like lasers in the entrway, probably more of those cutters you mentioned. Something big and probably dangerous is coming up behind us, so we need to get inside fast!"

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:22 am
by Dave Syrinx
"Can´t assist... wounded...I´ll let the door to the dining area stay open. I´ll block it with a table." Redfield reports.

From the subway tube comes the thing in view that shines the scan lights. A mechanized evac module with recording devices. It is shaped like an armadillo with a large drill as a nose with sensors and prods on the sides. Two of the four scan lights feel their way towards the end of the tunnel and the UBCS members´ position.

Collins looks up from his device. "It´s remote controlled. Unarmed - just a scavenger drone."

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Remote control, eh?" says Larsen. "Sounds like it could be useful to us. If we can take control of it, we could use it to take point. Let it set off the traps instead of us." He tries to establish a connection to the drone with his laptop so that he can take it over. If that doesn't work, he'll go up to the drone and try to interface with it manually.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:14 am
by kabukiman
-Drones? Are you sure you can be smarter than the bitch queen?

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:08 pm
by Dave Syrinx
The laptop link doesn´t work, so Larsen goes at it with help of Kim who gets a service hatch open.

Mr Handy:
Spoiler:
An electronics check @ 66%, please.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Kate[/b]? I think you mean [b]Kim[/b]. ;)

Larsen fiddles with the drone's innards, but he can't quite find his way through its systems. "Apparently not," he says. "I'm not even smarter than this thing. Anyone else want to give it a try?"

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:33 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Kim joins Larsen and works for a good five minutes. "I´m afraid I can´t fix this rodent. I understand the gears and maneuvering via a direct cable from the laptop interface. But I can´t get the wiring to connect correctly. As I see it this is too advanced for my know how."
She pulls off her work gloves she had on while digging around inside the armadillo. "It´s not beyond repair. I just can´t find a way around the remote connection."

Kabukiman:
Spoiler:
Johnny has 01% in Electrinics, 10% in electrical repair and 20% in mech repair. Should he succeed in on of those he´ll be able to find the wire that´s causing the trouble.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I haven't tried Electrical Repair or Mechanical Repair yet. Can I attempt them too?

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:37 pm
by kabukiman
Johnny was looking with interest. And now was regreting that he didn't had pay attention to his brother that was a mechanical.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3225604/

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:25 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"Preparing counter measures...Ksshhhhh...peeep!", the hidden speakers let out. "Evacuate area within...thirty seconds. Thank you for visiting Umbrella Corporation. Have a nice day.!

Heather looks at C.L. and Crawford, "You.. were going to get me out!"

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Larsen, unable to get the drone working, ducks behind it. "Everyone take cover! Can we breach that door in time? A frag grenade might take it out, and then maybe a smoke grenade can interfere with the cutters." He speaks into his radio. "Redfield, this is Larsen. Counter measures are being activated, and we have less than thirty seconds."

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:51 pm
by kabukiman
Johnny tried to help a bit more, but he nearly left everything even worst.

OOC: I think it was asking too much to get less than 10%. Seems we will be "expendable" characters.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:35 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Heather walks up to the glass barred entrance and walks on the pressure plates. She holds up the palm of her right hand at the cameras up in the ceiling.

"Stop!"

The lighting changes again inside the corridor and the laser beams are activated.

Heather says, "Open rear entrance."

The sheet glass starts to rise letting out a sound from the corridor. A high frequency humming sound, as from a giant dentist´s drill.

OOC: Expandables:
Spoiler:
I´ll try to get you out. But this will be a tough one.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"How did you do that?" asks Larsen as he hurries to join Heather. Not waiting for an answer, he takes his smoke grenade, pulls the pin, and rolls it under the glass into the entryway where the laser beams are, hoping that the smoke will block them enough to make it safe to pass through into the Hive.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:40 pm
by Dave Syrinx
The canister spews out a dark grey smoke in the corridor. Heather stands still and says, "I remembered..."

C.L., Hale, Crawford, Collins and Kim line up after Larsen and Heather. Johnny leaves the armadillo crippled and joins the others. Out of breath but alive.

The high frequency sound still is on. The corridor soon is full of smoke. From the subway comes no sound.

Heather stands still and lets the smoke wisp past her legs.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Before we run through and possibly get sliced to ribbons," says Larsen, "I'd like to make sure it's safe. Anyone got a long, useless object I can stick into the fog and wave around? Maybe a piece of scrap metal in your toolbox, Kim?"

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:59 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Kim digs in her box and quickly duct tapes five tools together creating a prodder of sorts. Then hands it to Larsen...

He takes the makeshift staff and feels away inside the corridor. The shrill sound continues and after a hesitation the red laser lights cuts through the smoke - creating blurry reddish wisps around the core beams. As they connect to the tools, they avert and the shrill sound stops.

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Larsen pulls his "ten-foot pole" out of the smoke and looks to see if the lasers were able to damage it through the smoke.
OOC,Were the lasers deactivated when they hit the tools, or are they still going? If they're off, then we need to run through while we can.

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:09 pm
by kabukiman
OOC,Can we shoot the machine that fire the laser?

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:00 pm
by Dave Syrinx
The laser beams are off.
Heather, Larsen and Kim start to hurry down the corridor. At the end of it they see it ends in a t-junction. To the left is a heavy door with a key pad and eye scanner. To the right is a small corridor ending with a set of glass sliding doors. On the other side of the doors is a figure waving at the three. He wears an UBCS uniform. He manually force the doors open. He has his mask on.

Collins and Crawford start after the first three. C.L. shouts to the rest "Go! I come later...gotta make sure we´re not followed." Hale kisses him on the cheek and whispers. "Forever..."
Then she dons her mask and hurries after the others. As she leaves C.L. she catches a glimpse of the demolitions expert lighting up a cigar.

OOC:
Spoiler:
Firing at the other side of the corridor could take out the security system, but not for certain. A grenade would do the trick for sure. Both options would probably raise the security measurements by the computer.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Larsen waves back at the UBCS man. "I'm Larsen," he says. "Are you Redfield? Is this corridor safe?"

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:37 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"Yes, Redfield. Correct. The dining area here is secure so far. I´ve smashed all cams and barricaded the two doors leading out of here. We ant to get out up top, right? I sure as hell want to, my entire team got minced in one of those laser corridors." He ushers the Bravo team in to the large dining area.

The room is fifty times fifty meters to each side. The room is in no way a dining area full of tables and chairs. Instead it has cryo tanks with valves on top. Each tank is tagged with a serial number. In all, the tanks count to three hundred. An elevator is located between the two doors in the far wall from where they entered.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, we want to get up to the surface and out of this place," says Larsen. He introduces the other members of his group. "How far up does that elevator go? Seems like it might be a risk, though. Might be safer to take the stairs. You never know what the Red Queen will do with the elevator. We also noticed a strong door at the other end of the hall with a keypad and retina scanner. Any idea what's behind it or whose eye we need to open it? And what in the world is in these tanks?"

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:25 pm
by kabukiman
Johnny starts coming near the tanks in a very cautious way...