IC-GOLD-Fresh Blood(Everyone else)

Darkness now shrouds the zombie-infested land. At Warren Air Force Base, various survivors and USAF personnel try to hold out against the hordes, but will internal division tear them apart? In western Nebraska, most of the captive women have found their freedom thanks to the rangers' intervention, but two of their captors have gotten away with one of them as a hostage. Can they escape from a new horror and find a way to rescue her? And in Omaha, though the zombies are no longer a threat, danger still abounds. A large group of survivors has holed up in a school, but a band of violent juvenile delinquents, a drug-dealing gang, and others may prove a greater peril than the dead. Who will suvive the night, and who will never see the sun rise again?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC-GOLD-Fresh Blood(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the intake area-
Captain Nils Johansen and Senior Airman Tom Wu entered from the double doors leading to the operating room. They saw that the men's and women's sections were curtained off, and they could hear voices from both sections. They entered the men's section.

In the women's area-
"But I like my clothes," complained Cynthia. Still, she undressed and put her clothes in her bag.

"My mom's got her own radio show back in Chicago called 'Ask Emily,'" Lauren told Sara Evans. "Well, she had one, anyway. I'm sure once this is all over she'll be able to start up again, and in the meantime she'll be a great help." Lauren took off her own clothing and placed it into the bag she had been provided.

"I'm glad to hear it," said Sara. "It's nice to meet you too, Emily. We can use all the help we can get."

"We have a shortage of medical personnel here," said Captain Claire Kelleher, "especially those trained to deal with mental health issues. We've had more than our share today. I'm sure you'll be a welcome addition to our team."

Barbara Ellison looked at Kathryn with compassion and read between the lines. "I'm so sorry, Kathryn," she said to her. "I can help you. I'm a highly skilled counselor, and my specialty is helping women who have been through the sort of thing you have. Right now I need you to take off your clothes so we can decontaminate you, but I'll be here if you need to talk."

"My dad saved her from that maniac," Lauren said. "He was so brave. He...he died not long after that, protecting Kathryn from the zombies." She lowered her head.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Lauren. Your father was a real hero." Barbara turned back to Kathryn. "We have had quite a few civilians try to get into the base, but most of them weren't allowed entry. Beth here was part of the first group that was let in." She indicated a young civilian woman with long dark hair.

"Hi," said Beth. "I got here in the early afternoon with my friend Robert and an old man we met along the way, Simon Crane. Simon died while he was here and rose up, and all sorts of madness followed."

"That's how we lost two of our doctors," said Barbara. "The only other group granted admittance came shortly before that happened, and I don't think they'd have been let in if they hadn't had Air Force personnel with them. Zorie Spooner and the other civilians here were part of that group." She indicated a woman who looked like she was from India or thereabouts in an orange Racal suit, as well as a woman in her sixties and two younger women with her.

"I'm Amanda Deeds," said the old woman. "I'm a nurse with decades of experience going back all the way to Vietnam. My son Keith is over in the men's section, and this is his main squeeze Melinda." She put her arm around one of the younger women, this one with red hair. "And this is Lisa Crow, the love of my other son's life." She put her other arm around the other one. "He didn't make it. Neither did my husband." She looked at Emily with empathy. "I'm sorry for your loss."

"Can everyone please move to the far wall once you finish taking off your clothes?" said Claire Kelleher.

In the men's area-
Joey Milano and the men with him also took off their clothes and put them in bags, as did Derek Morrison and Kyle. After they finished, Captain Johansen and Senior Airman Wu arrived.

"Thank you," said Lt. Oscar Gomez. "All of you, please move back against the far wall so we can decontaminate you." He saluted the captain. "Good to see you on your feet, sir."

Airman Gary Simpson picked up the end of a hose and stood ready.

Billy Roberts stood off to the side so as not to get in the way.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Post by ryansommer »

In the womens area-
Emily looked down with tears welling in her eyes: "Thank you. He was a great man and he will be missed...... Thank you for letting us in. I can't imagine if you hadn't...." Wiping away the single tear that rolled down the her face she straightened up and put on a brave face. "Come on Lauren, sweetie, let's get cleaned up." She walked with Lauren over to the wall.

In the mens area:
Keith scooped up the bags of clothes and disposed on them.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kat gets rid of her clothes and put them in one of the bags, leaves it and walks over to the other side. "I´ll get back to you, Barbara. Got to get cleaned up. And I mean I really got to." "I wonder if clean is the right word. I need to be made new. Be born again. This shower better be good." She faces the far wall and leans against it with her elbows and palms flat against it as she waits for the water to make her anew.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Wryce
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by Wryce »

Airman Winters patiently waits as Keith disposes of the contaminated clothing. When the man returns, Winters leads him over to the equipment they will be working with.

"Here we are. This is our medical equipment. I'm going to give you a quick run through on what we have and what each machine does, then you can give them a look and make sure everything is in proper working order."

He then begins rattling off information on the various machines, monitors, and electronics that they are equipped with. He demonstrates how each is used and their purpose medically.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Handy,what should I roll to inspect the machinery and make sure they are in working order?
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Captain Johansen returns the salute. What's the situation, any wounded?

Ho moves to the wall, sheepishly covering himself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Keith Deeds,You should roll Electrical Repair.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Keith listened and watched intently as Airman Winters showed him all the equipment. After he was done, he looked over the machines. "These all look good to me" Keith said.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

Melinda was thinking that people were actually nicer than the other team. But being nice wasn't a very good weapon against the creatures...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the women's area-
Barbara nodded. "We'll talk later," she said to Kathryn.

"You're very welcome, ma'am," said Sara to Emily.

"You should thank Lt. Colonel Carmichael," said Captain Claire Kelleher, "when you get the chance. He's the one who convinced the top brass to let you in after all the chaos that resulted when the last group was admitted. We're not taking any chances this time. We've really stepped up security here since then, so we'll all be safe here."

"It was Lisa Crow here who got through to him when we needed to get in," said Amanda Deeds. "Her speech really moved him, and I think that's why he argued so strongly in your favor too."

Lauren went with her mother to the far wall, and Cynthia also joined them and Kathryn there. Captain Kelleher nodded to Airman Catherine Rourke, who took up a hose, pointed it at the four women, and turned on the water. The jet washed over their bodies, rinsing them clean. The force of the water was strong, but it was also soothing in a way. Kathryn tried not to think about what she had gone through earlier today, though the shower couldn't help but remind her. She knew she would never forget her ordeal, but perhaps she could get to the point where it didn't come to mind and her pain would be dulled. Reaching what felt like safety would help, as would Barbara and being here with her friends. It might not happen overnight, but she now had real hope of recovery. She may never be the same again, but she could be better.

After a while, the water turned off. The nurses distributed towels to the women, along with thin white hospital gowns. "Dry yourselves off, ladies," said Claire, "and then get yourselves dressed. We'll give you a full health screening."

In the men's area-
The bags with the clothing were set aside. They would be taken to the incinerator later, but for now everyone needed to stay here.

"Staff Sergeant Morrison was severely wounded, sir," said Lt. Oscar Gomez to Captain Johansen, "but he's already received expert treatment." He indicated Kyle. "This young man has only minor injuries, but a couple of the others look like they've received gunshot wounds." He glanced over at Joey Milano and Duncan Jergens. "They've already received treatment as well."

Gary Simpson hosed the men down, running the powerful stream of water over them to make sure they were completely cleaned. When he finished washing them off, he shut off the hose. Then he and Lt. Gomez handed out towels and hospital gowns. "Get yourselves dried off and dressed, gentlemen," said Oscar Gomez. "Then line up for screening."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kathryn accepts the proffered towel and dries herself methodically then lets her skin dry in the fresh air of the room. She puts on any clothes provided by the staff and waits for directions to go from there. "How many people are here? And what´s the plan to end this nightmare?" She asks the staff surrounding the women drying themselves. She can´t help it but this place seems to have a solid chain of command but the movie Chindler´s list keeps coming up in her head as she puts on her new clothes.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Emily dried off with the towel. In a weird way, the shower, despite being rather rough, was soothing and nice to have.

"I'll be sure to 'THankl' Carmichael when I see him. Is he around?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the women's area-
Lauren and Cynthia put on the provided hospital gowns too. They were made of thin white linen with a V-shaped neckline, comfortable enough if a bit flimsy. They didn't leave much to the imagination, but Cynthia didn't seem to mind one bit.

"We've got a few dozen people here at this clinic, including snipers on the roof and perimeter guards," said Claire Kelleher to Kathryn. "If you mean the base as a whole, we have a few thousand personnel, but that number includes civilian employees and relatives of base personnel, so we're not all combatants. Still, we can all do our part. I don't know if there's any plan to end all this. Warren Air Force Base is now completely cut off from the outside world. Our helicopters can do aerial recon of the area, but we've already lost a few of them today. We used to be able to communicate indirectly to various locations by means of an old Cold War communications outpost nearby. That primitive network was still functioning, but it failed early this afternoon. There was a scientist there who had some theories about what's going on and what to do about it, but I don't know what's become of her. Right now our first job is to survive. We'll worry about saving the world after that." To Emily she said, "Colonel Carmichael isn't here, he's in the operations room in the base's headquarters. You might get to meet him tomorrow, depending on if you can clear quarantine and what your assignment is." She then addressed all of the women. "Okay, everyone. Time for a full medical and psychological evaluation. The nurses and I will get to each of you in turn."

Claire Kelleher headed over to examine Emily, while Sara went to Lauren and Barbara rejoined Kathryn. Another orange-suited woman approached Cynthia. "I'm Tech Sergeant Jessica Valdez," she said. "The others will need to give you a medical exam, but you don't look like you've been injured, and I can handle the psych portion of the exam."

In the men's area-
The men donned their hospital gowns and lined up to be examined. "There's only a few of us capable of doing the exams, sir," said Lt. Oscar Gomez to Captain Johansen. "Airman Winters is qualified medically, but I don't know how he'll do with the psych evals. We have more male patients than we do females, and less staff. Who should we examine first?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

In the women's area -
"Nice to meet you, Sgt. Valdez" Emily said, extending her hand. "Let's get on with it. Once I am cleared, I am sure I can help as I am a trained psychologist."
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Huh, males first. Get the majority out of the way. Captain Johansen addresses the assembled men in the room. Attention, we will be taking you off to be screened for any injuries. The more severely injured first.

Ho dons the hospital gown and shuffles his way into line.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Actually, the plan is to screen everyone here in the intake area.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kathryn sits down with Barbara for a talk. The fact that the base personnel had divided the men from the women made her feel more at ease than if they hadn´t. Still, the sense of labour camp lingered in the back of her head. Intellectually, she knows that with all the things going on outside the base, there was no real threat here. But then again, wherever men roams, trouble also rooms. "So, hi again Barbara. I´m a certified traffic controller and could probably be of use in a comms room or similar. I also know my way around photo equipment. Surveillance detail, maybe? I gather you assign the civilians who seek shelter to tasks, right?" She leans closer to Barbara. "I´d prefer not being teamed up with any men at this point. I´ve had my share of that kind." She corrects the ill fitting garment and relishes in the cleanliness of the fabric and her own skin. Like being newborn, she decides. A new life.

"Shortlived"
, her pessimistic angel snickers and brings her back to the psych evaluation.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the women's area-
"I'm not the one who actually assigns anyone," Barbara told Kathryn. "Lieutenant Colonel Carmichael will probably be the one to decide that, since he's the Operations Officer. My guess is that you'd be assigned to work in air traffic control. Some of our controllers have broken down today, and you seem to have held up extremely well considering what you've been through. I understand how you feel about not wanting to work with men, but there may not be any choice. More than half of the personnel on this base are male, and we have to work with who we've got left. Casualties have been heavy, and this has just been the first day." She slid the gown off of Kathryn's shoulder to examine her wound, removing the bandages, cleaning the wound, and then putting on a fresh dressing. "There's nothing more I can do for your arm, but it looks to be healing well. You should be fit for duty after a good night's rest. Don't give up on all men because of what one of them did, Kathryn. There are good ones out there."

"That's true," said Cynthia. "I thought Richard was the right one for me, but he didn't make it. I won't stop looking, though."

"I'm sorry for your loss," Jessica told her. She was getting a good feel for the dancer, but there was something on which she couldn't quite put her finger. "I think we've all lost someone we cared about today."

Lauren nodded. "My dad was a good man," she said. "He was the best."

Sara put a comforting arm around her. "I know how you feel," she said. "I don't even know if my parents are alive or dead. There's someone on this base I care about, and I don't even know what's happened to him." She looked Lauren over. "You're going to be just fine."

Claire smiled at Emily. "You're holding up better than I am," she said. "You're in good physical shape too."

After several minutes, the examinations concluded, and the medical staff conferred. "I'll examine you myself in a minute, Cynthia," said Captain Kelleher. "The rest of you have clean bills of health, both mental and physical. If you like, you can stay here until I've had a chance to finish with Cynthia. Otherwise, Barbara can take you back to the women's ward now with the rest of the civilians."

In the men's area-
"Sir, Captain Kelleher wants us to examine everyone here," said Lt. Gomez. "Nobody goes back to the wards until they pass the initial screening, and only in an emergency do we bring someone to the OR. This gentleman is the worst off." He motioned to Staff Sergeant Derek Morrison. "I'll examine this one." He went over to Joey Milano. "Airman Winters, see to that fellow." He pointed at Duncan Jergens.

Captain Johansen examined Derek Morrison. The helicopter crewman had been very badly injured in the crash and was lucky to be alive. His poking and prodding caused the sergeant pain and reopened one of his wounds, but he managed to stop the bleeding. Derek seemed all right mentally to him.

Oscar Gomez inspected Joey's leg wound and cleaned and redressed it. "Definitely a gunshot wound," he said. "How did you get it?"

"Some asshole name of Richard Saxon took a shot at me," he said. "It was completely unprovoked. Luckily Alfredo here was quick on the ball and plugged him before he could finish me off."

"You seem okay enough to me. You'll be all right, sir."

Airman Winters looked over Duncan Jergens carefully. "Did he shoot you too?" he asked.

"No," said Duncan, "that was Marcus, this big bruiser that worked at the store. When the shooting started, he opened up. He's just lucky Joey wanted to let him live. Later he ran off on his own, the big coward."

He shrugged. "My name's Marcus. Hope you won't hold that against me."

"Nah, you seem all right to me."

After a while, they had finished examining the three men, but several others remained.
OOC,[b]Captain Johansen[/b] and [b]Airman Winters[/b], you may each choose another patient to examine. Please roll Medicine and Psychology. The men remaining to be examined are [b]Kyle Perkins[/b], [b]Ho Nguyen[/b], [b]Alfredo Bocelli[/b], [b]Harvey Bennish[/b], and [b]Hector Salazar[/b].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Wryce
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by Wryce »

Marcus moves to examine Kyle Perkins, medically at least.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

In the women's area
"Thanks" Emily said to Clair with a warm smile. "It's hard, but I have to do it for my kids." As tears brimmed in her eyes, Emily looked down, wiped them away then looked back up: "So, now that I have a clean bill of health, how can I help?"

In the mens area:
Keith stood around, waiting. 'Let me know if there is anything I can do, sir"

Return to “Chapter 6 - Dead by Dawn”