IC-SWORD-In Harm's Way(Lara Voronova/Steve/Caitlin/Sven)

Darkness now shrouds the zombie-infested land. At Warren Air Force Base, various survivors and USAF personnel try to hold out against the hordes, but will internal division tear them apart? In western Nebraska, most of the captive women have found their freedom thanks to the rangers' intervention, but two of their captors have gotten away with one of them as a hostage. Can they escape from a new horror and find a way to rescue her? And in Omaha, though the zombies are no longer a threat, danger still abounds. A large group of survivors has holed up in a school, but a band of violent juvenile delinquents, a drug-dealing gang, and others may prove a greater peril than the dead. Who will suvive the night, and who will never see the sun rise again?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Re: IC-SWORD-In Harm's Way(Lara Voronova/Steve Bell/Caitlin)

Post by SSior.27 »

Caitlin tries to take comfort in the other woman's words, but she was still alone. Some little hope gleamed because she was not by herself. Slowly getting up, she walked back a little before finally turning away from Steve. Seeing Lara trying with the tire, she approaches the man huddled on the road. Tears still wet in her eyes, she reaches a hand to him and does her best to calm him. "Sir..." she says haltingly. "We need to get you out of here." Perhaps it was the emotion as opposed to her words, but it seemed to possibly help.
Seeing Eihort - 1d6/1d20 Sanity Loss
Seeing Cthulhu - 1d10/1d100 Sanity Loss
Seeing 'Twilight' - Automatic Permanent Insanity
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
Lara got the spare tire, jack, and tools out of the back of the truck, but she wasn't very mechanically inclined and didn't really know how to go about changing a tire.

The man sniffled, taking some comfort from Caitlin's words and actions. He sat up and faced her, his eyes glistening. "Th-thank you," he said. "They ate Clara. I couldn't save her...I just kept running until I couldn't run any more. They would have eaten me too if you hadn't been there. My name is Sven. Sven Petersen."
OOC,[b]Caitlin[/b], you may now try a Mechanical Repair roll to try to change the tire. [b]Sven[/b] will help too. [b]Lara[/b], you can't roll again just yet. Wryce, let me know if you'd like to play [b]Sven[/b]. I haven't drawn up his stats yet, but I'll try to do that later tonight. Don't forget that you also have two other characters. You haven't posted for [b]Dr. Edward Singh[/b] in ages.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"Hi, Sven! Lara Voronova - not mechanic." Lara drops the jack. "Where´s that shotgun?" She checks the mud for the shotgun and go over the truck to look for shells for it. The few rounds left in the 9mm wouldn´t last for another encounter.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Wryce
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by Wryce »

Sven looks around hesitantly.

"I- I can take a look at the truck..."
SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SSior.27 »

Caitlin offers to help Sven up and guides him over to the truck. "I'm Caitlin. They ate my father, too..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: IC-SWORD-In Harm's Way(Lara Voronova/Steve/Caitlin/Sven)

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
Lara found the shotgun where Steve had dropped it. Searching his body, she found an open box with sixteen shells remaining. She broke open the shotgun, loaded both barrels, and closed it up again.

Sven jacked up the pickup truck and set to work changing the tire. He clearly knew his stuff, but it would take him some time working by himself.
OOC,[b]Caitlin[/b], you haven't tried a Mechanical Repair roll yet. The base skill is 20%, and you may try it if you want to help [b]Sven[/b]. If you succeed, the time required to change the tire will be shortened considerably.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Lara having put the 9mm in the lining of her jeans, with the safety on keeps the shotgun at her waist pointing forward. Should some other monster come running at them, she´d be prepared. She moves a few steps away from the dead Steve and the car and asks Sven, "Where did you come from? This or that way?" She listens to see if she can discern any noise over the two mechanics behind her.
Spoiler:
I guess, Lara doesn´t know Steve will awake pretty soon. She will believe the skinheads got bit and were infected. Steve is dead and that´s that. Sounds fair?
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SSior.27 »

As Sven works, Caitlin offers, "Would you like a hand?" though she knows the most help she can be in this state is holding the lugnuts to keep them from rolling away.
Wryce
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Wryce »

"We... I came from the radio station, back to the south. Clara and I we... We were broadcasting how to bring down those things. You have to get them in the head, you know? But it's harder than it sounds... They got Clara..."

Sven falls silent and begins working intently under the car, hiding the tears streaming down his face.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Actually, [b]Sally[/b] did tell [b]Lara[/b] that the dead were rising back at the end of Chapter 4, in Planet Terror. However, [b]Lara[/b] found it hard to believe and has never seen it happen herself...and she still hasn't.
On the road-
It took Sven half an hour working in the dark, but he managed to change the tire. He discarded the flat by the side of the road, lowered the jack, and put all of the tools back in the rear of the truck. Nothing had disturbed them while they worked, and the area seemed completely deserted.
OOC,[b]Lara[/b] and [b]Caitlin[/b], if there's anything else you want to do while [b]Sven[/b] was busy changing the tire, you may do so while he was working.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Spoiler:
While Sven is changing the flat, Lara asks Caitlin if there´s more shells for the shotgun in the truck. And maybe more weapons. She checks the ammo for the two handguns. She divides the ammo so it´s the same number of bullets in each gun. Are there any axe or blade in the truck?

Lara
, content with the quietness checks the truck for more weapons. "Sven, you have a gun? Or you can have mine.. Not many bullets." Having found a hunters coat along the things on the truck, she puts it on and pours the shells from the box in the two front pockets.
TVblog

Wryce
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Wryce »

"I've never even held one before... I'm not really much of a fighter. Make love, not war, you know? See how much good that did me..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Lara[/b]'s pistol has 5 bullets left, and [b]Caitlin[/b]'s has only 2, so it's impossible to make them even (unless you want to waste a bullet). Which gun gets 4 bullets, and which gets 3? There are no more shotgun shells in the truck. The only sharp object in the back of the truck is a hatchet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Spoiler:
Lara gets the one with three bullets. A novice might need more attempts to actually hit something. During the reallocation of arms, she decides that it´s better if Caitlin hands the shotgun. It was her father´s and she should have it.

"Sestra,take your father´s gun. It´s your prize. Use it good."
Lara weighs the pistols and hands the lighter of them to Sven. "No more love, just pain." Having done what she can, she gets behind the wheel and says, "The farm?"
TVblog

SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SSior.27 »

Caitlin numbly takes her father's shotgun and holds it almost as if she does not recognize what it is, somewhat like River Tamm in the final episode of 'Firefly'. Lara's question brings her back to her senses. She helps Sven into the truck when he's finished and pulls out the map again before nodding to Lara. "Let's go."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
Everyone got back into the truck again, with Lara behind the wheel, Cailtin in the shotgun seat, and Sven seated between them. Lara started off to the north again, following Caitlin's directions to reach the ranch. They had been delayed for quite a while, but Caitlin estimated that they would still arrive a little before 6:00, shortly before sunrise - as long as there were no further delays. Right now it was about a quarter past three in the morning.
OOC,Feel free to talk to each other during the journey. Let me know when you're ready for me to move things along. The two pistols are identical except for the number of bullets they contain. The lighter one would actually be the one with three bullets as opposed to the one with four.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

After driving at a steady pace for a couple of minutes, Lara breaks the silence. "Sad for your families. Really sad. We like family... almost." She extends her right hand to Caitlin and presses hers. She glances at Sven right behind her. "Right?"
TVblog

SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SSior.27 »

Caitlin takes the offered hand before allowing Lara to return her hands to the wheel. "He was all I had left... Until you showed up... How... how did you manage to get to us?" she asks, trying desperately to get her mind off the events of the past few days.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,There is no back seat. The only seats are in the cab of the pickup truck, and it seats three. [b]Sven[/b] is in the middle seat, so [b]Lara[/b] would be reaching past him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Lara gets back to driving the pick up with both hands. The 9mm is kept in one of the front pockets of the coat.
"I... got involved with some bad people and was a slave. They fled from the bad things. I and some of the skins, you say that? Skins head... They...they kept me in a room. And used me..." She reflects on what had happened.
"I got away and followed the road to your farm. Without clothes."
"In Russia I was a student in Archaeology."
"Now, I wish I was GRU."
She tries to laugh at her own story.
"No use crying. Best to laugh."
TVblog

Return to “Chapter 6 - Dead by Dawn”