IC-OMAHA-Suppertime(Everyone else)

Darkness now shrouds the zombie-infested land. At Warren Air Force Base, various survivors and USAF personnel try to hold out against the hordes, but will internal division tear them apart? In western Nebraska, most of the captive women have found their freedom thanks to the rangers' intervention, but two of their captors have gotten away with one of them as a hostage. Can they escape from a new horror and find a way to rescue her? And in Omaha, though the zombies are no longer a threat, danger still abounds. A large group of survivors has holed up in a school, but a band of violent juvenile delinquents, a drug-dealing gang, and others may prove a greater peril than the dead. Who will suvive the night, and who will never see the sun rise again?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-OMAHA-Suppertime(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 6:10 PM Central Time - Brooks High School, Omaha, Nebraska
In the kitchen-
Amelia Delacroix had been preparing the main course, featuring spicy fried chicken and other Cajun delicacies. She had done a better job than she had on the appetizers, as evidenced by the delight she had heard from the diners in the cafeteria. She was making sure there would be enough for anyone who wanted seconds, as all of the perishable food had to go. Better to eat it than to waste it. Once that was done, she would have to get dessert ready. She had managed to keep the ice cream chilled, but the freezer wouldn't stay cold for much longer. The power had gone out nearly an hour and a half ago. Soon everything that they didn't eat would melt.

In the cafeteria-
The gathered students, faculty, staff, and guests all ate their chicken, which was excellent, as those who were familiar with Amelia's cooking had known it would be. Tariq al-Tikriti carried a tray with a few plates of food to bring to Megan and Kyle in the security office and Dr. Helene Saunders on the roof, as well as some for himself. He headed out into the hallway.

The scientists sat at the table nearest to the kitchen. Dr. Brigetta Hausmann and her assistant Stephanie Bridges had flown in from Cheyenne. After surviving terrible events on their dangerous journey, they had managed to arrive in Omaha just in time with the data they needed to save the city and perhaps the entire world. Seated with them were Dr. Edward Singh and Dr. Liz Somerville, two CDC scientists who had been at the school for a while now, along with their technician Adam Donnelly and their security chief Rachel Cohen. Missing was Dr. Helene Saunders, who was keeping watch on the roof. The EMP device there would ensure Omaha's continued safety, at least from the dead. The living were presenting problems all their own.

Chuck Lubachek had been locked up in the security office for a murder committed on school grounds a couple of nights ago, Kyle Rogers was there after being disarmed when he was caught with guns and bombs in his locker. Doug Marley was there for trying to kill Chuck, who had been arrested for killing his uncle. Less than an hour ago a gang of juvenile criminals led by Darnell Jones had gone after the prisoners. Doug had joined them, and they had murdered Chuck and nearly done the same to Kyle. Jerry Law had been powerless to stop them. When the police finally broke through the barricaded door, they knocked out Trooper Erica Spears of the Nebraska State Police and took her hostage, escaping in one of the few cars that still worked despite the EMP device.

The faculty and staff sat at the second table. Prinicpal Lawrence Adler was at its head, and on either side of him were Vice Principal Sharon Kaplan and his secretary, Laura Shelley. Also seated with them were school nurse Michelle Marquez, Jerry Law, Becky Clarke, Donald Woodridge, Chester Johnson, Julianne Landers, Declan McLeod, and Enrico Santini.

The students sat at the third table - or at least the ones who weren't locked up or running around loose doing God knows what or the ones who had gone after them. They included Japanese exchange student Michiko Watanabe, Teresa Vazquez, Elijah Smith, Diana Forester, Kelly Cameron, Ali al-Tikriti, and Sunny Kwon.

Everyone else was at the long table closest to the hallway door. There were Dr. Bernard Smith and Lucy Armstrong, who had flown in with Dr. Hausmann on Erica's helicopter. Also with them were Lori Desmond, homeless veteran Alvin Drummond and his four-legged friend Murray, Chinese journalism student John Lee, Tariq's wife Erin Halloran, and his friends Rashad Sadiq and Samir Hossein.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-Suppertime(Everyone else)

Post by Tabs »

Rachel Cohen says to no one in particular.
"Quite a gathering to dinner."
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Alvin looked up as he ate dinner secretly feeding pieces of chicken to Murry. "The CO must want us to be fed well as we need to go out on patrol tonight," he said loudly.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

-I'm full says Michiko after some time.- Aliens or no aliens, I won't get a husband if I get fat- she says joking.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Donald picked at his chicken. He had thought he was hungry, but finally sitting down allowed him the opportunity to run through what had transpired over the past day. He could scarcely believe it. "So where do we go from here? Sit tight until the world fixes itself, or go about fixing other places one at a time?"
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Rashad forked more chicken into his mouth.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

-We need to knew how the city survive. I have the bad feeling that zombies must have created a carnage, so propbably we should try to reunite the survivers. - says Jerry
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvin said, "Zombies? Who cares about Zombies. What about Charlie and the VC?"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Donald laughed... unexplicably. He wiped a tear from his eye and looked at the others saying apologetically, "I'm sorry. It's not funny. But I find it a bit peculiar when someone at the table is asking about 'Charlie' and the 'Viet Cong'. I thought we were done with that conflict."
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvin said, "Done? What unit you with private? I have half a mind to report you to your CO!"
Handy,Am I playing Alvin correctly? I know he went insane a while back so he does think he is in Vietnam again right?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alvin Drummond,Yes, you're playing him right.
In the east hall, ground floor-
Tariq carried the tray of food into the lobby.

In the kitchen-
Amelia kept preparing more food, humming as she worked.

In the cafeteria-
Nobody paid it any heed when Alvin fed Murray. In fact, he had been given an extra-large portion, so perhaps they had intended that he do so.

"That's a good question," said Stephanie to Donald. "There's no reason we can't do both. We need to get Omaha back on its feet, but we also have to make sure that the rest of us can benefit from what we've learned here. If we could let Warren Air Force Base know that it worked, they could blanket the whole country with an EMP. One high-altitude detonation would do it. The loss of electronics would be very painful, but I think having the dead roaming around eating everyone is more painful. Convincing them to do it wouldn't be easy. The first part of the problem would be getting the information through to them. Communication isn't easy, so it would require someone going there in person."

"Don't even think about it, Stephanie," said Dr. Hausmann. "I know you want to help, but you've already done plenty. We barely survived the trip here. Going back would be very dangerous."

"We'd need a vehicle before we can even think of it," said Becky Clarke. "There is that old school bus out back, but it's broken down."

"If it's old enough, that might work," said Stephanie. "Any vehicle made in the last thirty years or so would have an electronic ignition that would be ruined by the pulse, but if it's older it should still run."

"This bus dates back to the seventies. That's why it broke down. Early this morning the National Guard commandeered all of our school buses for evacuations - all the ones that worked. The one we have left wasn't going anywhere."

"Let's consider what we can do for Omaha, too," said Principal Adler. "Gathering survivors is a good idea, Jerry, and this school makes a good gathering place."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Donald eyed Alvin with some compassion when he realized the man had taken a dive off the deep end. "Civilian... no unit. I work for the boss-man here," he said jutting a thumb over to the principal.

He listened as the conversation continued, then between bites offered, "I might be able to do something about that broken bus. After I'm done, I'll head out and take a look-see." He looked to the others and suggested, "Might consider sending a team down to the metal shop class to find stuff that we might be able to use. Old car parts, and lots of sheet metal to reinforce the bus. We could make a mobile tank out of the thing."
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvin perked up, "Tank? I used to be a tank man before the grunts grabbed me. I will be glad to show you my expert skills civilian."
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Rashad eyes Alvin sideways. He shrugs and takes another bite of his soup. Uh, I'm sorry I don't know your name. Principal... ? Um, regardless, the national guard was here this morning? Are they still in the area or did they move somewhere else?
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Donald peered at Alvin and shrugged, "Sure ... the more the merrier."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ImpInTraining wrote:"Might consider sending a team down to the metal shop class to find stuff that we might be able to use. Old car parts, and lots of sheet metal to reinforce the bus. We could make a mobile tank out of the thing."
Rachel perks up.
"I'll come along-- Protect those who fetch the sheet metal-- I can carry stuff too--"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the lobby-
Tariq went into the security office.
OOC,[b]Tariq[/b] is moving to the thread linked below. His player should stop reading the current thread at this point, and should not read any posts above the one in the link.
Detention

In the kitchen-
Amelia stayed busy working.

In the cafeteria-
"Yeah, we've got that stuff in the workshop," said Declan. "I can help with that after dinner."

"Maybe we should concentrate on getting the bus running first," said Becky. "Then if we have time we can put armor on it."

"The National Guard was here," said Principal Adler, "but it was before I even got in. I'm Principal Larry Adler, by the way."

"They came around 7:00 AM," added Becky. "Took all the buses and just left. Well, except the broken one, 'cause that one wasn't going anywhere. Haven't seen hide nor hair of them since."

"We should also build a second EMP generator," said Stephanie. "Not only is it good to have a backup, but we could mount it on the bus once we get it working and take it with us. That'll be good protection against the zombies wherever we go. They'll never get close to it without keeling over."

"Yeah," said Adam. "You and I can work on that after dinner."

"And Dr. Saunders could help too. I'm sure Chester Johnson and some of his students can lend a hand as well."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvin stood up, saluted Adler, and said, "Private Alvin reporting for duty Sir!"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Finishing the last of his meal, Donald pushed his tray away and looked at those volunteering, smiling and nodding. "Looks like we have a god-damned plan. I'll get to fixing that bus."

He stood and grabbed his tray to dispose of it properly before heading for the doors.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Yeah, we've got that stuff in the workshop," said Declan. "I can help with that after dinner."

"Maybe we should concentrate on getting the bus running first," said Becky. "Then if we have time we can put armor on it."
Rachel forks the last of the gumbo on her plate and shovels it into her mouth.
"I can't fix a bus, so I'll go to the workshop with Declan."

Return to “Chapter 6 - Dead by Dawn”