IC-OMAHA-Law and Order(John Lake/Gretchen/Jack Brunner)

Darkness now shrouds the zombie-infested land. At Warren Air Force Base, various survivors and USAF personnel try to hold out against the hordes, but will internal division tear them apart? In western Nebraska, most of the captive women have found their freedom thanks to the rangers' intervention, but two of their captors have gotten away with one of them as a hostage. Can they escape from a new horror and find a way to rescue her? And in Omaha, though the zombies are no longer a threat, danger still abounds. A large group of survivors has holed up in a school, but a band of violent juvenile delinquents, a drug-dealing gang, and others may prove a greater peril than the dead. Who will suvive the night, and who will never see the sun rise again?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-OMAHA-Law and Order(John Lake/Gretchen/Jack Brunner)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 6:10 PM Central Time - Near Brooks High School, Omaha, Nebraska
In the street-
While he had been eating dinner, Captain Rochelle Blake had brought in Detective Gretchen Ehrlich, a narcotics detective for the Omaha PD. She had been assigned to join him on his assignment to Brooks High School, and he already knew her from the interagency task force they worked on together. She also knew the undercover detective at the school, who was her partner, so she was a natural choice to send with John.

The two of them had walked most of a mile to the east, heading for the school. They were only a couple of blocks away now.
OOC,[b]John[/b] and [b]Gretchen[/b], please roll 1d100 against your Spot Hidden skills.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-Law and Order(John Lake/Detective Gretchen Ehrlich)

Post by Steerpike »

John Lake,Checking spot hidden (1d100=14) Success!
[/url]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the street-
About a block ahead, John saw an RV stopped in the middle of the road. A strong-looking man about forty years of age was nearby, armed with a pistol and shotgun. He saw John and Gretchen and took cover behind the vehicle.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Steerpike »

He motions for Gretchen to get behind cover and to cover his approach to the RV, standing slighthy to one side to let her have a clear line of sight to the target. John then walks for a little while, his fire arm holstered, his hands clearly in view, then stops calling out

"You at the RV, we're federal officers....do you require assistance?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: IC-OMAHA-Law and Order(John Lake/Gretchen/Jack Brunner)

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the street-
John and Gretchen carefully approached the RV. They had to get very close to get within pistol range. Gretchen kept behind cover, using parked or stopped cars. She stopped when she got within about fifteen yards of the RV.

As John came near, Jack called out loudly from behind the RV: "Who are you?" At that point John replied "You at the RV, we're federal officers....do you require assistance?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
pfarland
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by pfarland »

Jack leaned out a bit and replied "You're a bit late, they're all dead now, those things and my family. Do you have any badges I can see? And before you get near me, none of those things bit you did they? If they did, stay back."
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Steerpike »

"I am reaching into my pocket to get my I.D. and I am going to come closer so as you can see it...ok?"
pfarland
Layman
Layman

Post by pfarland »

"You haven't been bitten have you? If you have, PLEASE stay away!" On seeing the badge Jack relaxed and asked "Are we the only ones left? What happened and why did it stop like that?" Taking a breath he continued, "Where is your partner, I saw two of you." Jack started looking around obviously concerned for his own safety.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the street-
Jack saw that John's badge identified him as Special Agent John Lake from the Drug Enforcement Agency.

Gretchen came forward, her own badge in hand. "No, we haven't been bitten, sir," she said. "I'm Detective Gretchen Ehrlich of the Omaha Police Department. We're not the only ones left. There are many police officers still operating out of my precinct."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
pfarland
Layman
Layman

Post by pfarland »

"Ok, so what now? Anybody else alive or just the police?" Pausing for a moment, obviously holding back tears, Jack said "Sorry, I just don't know what to do. My whole family is dead and my life is just GONE. If you all need help I'm pretty handy at building and fixing things, if you'll excuse my failure on getting this thing running again." Pointing at the RV. I have a good bit of food and some more tools in here. Plus, all sorts of cookware and dishes." Pausing again "We, I, had to learn how to be pretty self sufficient on the farm."
pfarland
Layman
Layman

Post by pfarland »

"I'm sorry about my manners, the name's Jack Brunner." "If you guys want a bite to eat, I have some food here, and some perishables in the RV. Just please stay out of the back bedroom. That's where my family is. Anything you can think anyone needs or wants, just grab it. I don't want to go back in there."
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Steerpike »

"I'm John Lake DEA, & my partner back there is Detective Ehrlich. We've come from a police station about a mile from here. We're on our way to check out the school. Could be we could help fix up the RV...but I have to ask...your family are dead inside the RV is that correct?"

He motions for Ehrlich to come forward
pfarland
Layman
Layman

Post by pfarland »

"Yes, you did hear me right. We were attacked and swarmed. They're how I figured out about the bites starting the process and head shots ending it. It started with two breaking into the RV and turning my family into those things. It ended with me on top of the RV ready to take out as many of those things as I could before ending my own life. Before it got to that point, all of them you see here, just fell over at once. After that the RV wouldn't work. The electrical system is utterly dead. I've been wondering if they aren't somehow connected, but can't figure out how." Pausing to gather his strength, Jack said "So anyway, yes they are in there, just the bodies mind you. After it was all over, I wrapped them in spare sheets and put them in the back bedroom." Tears were now running down his cheeks, "We had a lot of good times together is this old thing. Now it's a mausoleum for them." Jack then put his face in his hands and tried to control his sobbing.
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Steerpike »

"I'm sorry for your loss Mr Brunner...we're on our way to a local high school to see if there are any survivors...I think it'd be safer if you came along with us...would you mind if I checked inside the RV?"
pfarland
Layman
Layman

Post by pfarland »

"I'll go, not a problem with that. I'll help out in any way I can. Like I said before, you're welcome to whatever is in there. Mostly food and cookware inside. The tools and all are in the bottom storage compartments on both sides of the RV. Just let me know whenevr you're ready to go."
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Steerpike »

John nods to Brunner and then taking a deep breath he heads inside the RV
pfarland
Layman
Layman

Post by pfarland »

Jack Looks to Gretchen, "So other than the police station, how is the rest of the city holding up?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Gretchen[/b] came forward and introduced herself already in the last update.
In the street-
Gretchen put a comforting hand on Jack's shoulder. "I'm sorry, sir," she said. "We've only just started to scout out the neighborhood around our precinct in the last hour and a half or so. The other nearby precincts have all fallen, but we did find scattered pockets of survivors along the way. No groups were anywhere near as big as ours, though. We're hoping we'll find a lot of people alive at the school. It's pretty big. We're only a block away from it now, in fact. It's over there." She pointed to the east.
OOC,[b]Jack[/b], roll Spot Hidden.
In the RV-
The first thing John Lake noticed when he stepped into the RV was the stench of death and decay. Shell casings, blood, and broken glass made it obvious that a fight had taken place here. The lights inside the RV were all off, and nothing would make them turn on. All of the doors to the various rooms were open except for one at the back, which was closed. That must have led to the back bedroom that Jack had mentioned.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
pfarland
Layman
Layman

Post by pfarland »

Jack looked where Gretchen pointed, but his eyes were still blurry from the tears. He then smiled wanly and said "At least it's good to know that some people have made it. What are you telling the survivors to do? Go to the precinct? Do you all have enough food and water? Have you been sending out groups to gather supplies? What about..." Jack paused then and looked at Gretchen. "I'm sorry, I got carried away. I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out. I'm kinda lost without my family, I'm so used to everything being centered around them."
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Steerpike »

l John heads into the back of the RV and looks around to see if there is anything useful &
Spoiler:
then sneaks over to the locked door and tries it. He is not keen to go against Brunner's wishes, he does feel that he needs to make sure himself.

Return to “Chapter 6 - Dead by Dawn”