IC-GOLD-Ladies' Night(All other female characters)

Darkness now shrouds the zombie-infested land. At Warren Air Force Base, various survivors and USAF personnel try to hold out against the hordes, but will internal division tear them apart? In western Nebraska, most of the captive women have found their freedom thanks to the rangers' intervention, but two of their captors have gotten away with one of them as a hostage. Can they escape from a new horror and find a way to rescue her? And in Omaha, though the zombies are no longer a threat, danger still abounds. A large group of survivors has holed up in a school, but a band of violent juvenile delinquents, a drug-dealing gang, and others may prove a greater peril than the dead. Who will suvive the night, and who will never see the sun rise again?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Re: IC-GOLD-Ladies' Night(All other female characters)

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Letting go of Cynthia´s hand after walking to the women´s ward, Kathryn takes a seat on a chair against a wall, checking the girls out. "We can dream, right? For now we can feel safe. But when things turn ugly again, and they will. We have to face it again. We´re sitting ducks here! Surrounded by guards, sure. But what good did that do at the fence earlier? We need to be prepared for trouble. I suggest we all find something we can use to defend ourselves with, should someone turn out to be infected." She looks at Emily. "We can´t rest just yet, can we? This is very close to normal, here in the ward. But it´s basically a way to put us away till they know we´re no threat... We know we´re no threat, but they sure are nor sure." She looks at Amanda. "I´m Kathryn, by the way. Scuse my paranoia, but this day has been a bitch." She draws her hands back from her forehead and rests against the wall behind her. "At least it´s not me."
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Post by ryansommer »

"Thank you so much" Emily said. She took a cot next to Lauren and laid down, facing her daughter. She extender her hand to Laurens cot and stroked the side of her face. "We're safe, sweetie. Let's get some rest."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the women's isolation ward-
"Somehow, I don't think this will turn out to be a hoax like that War of the Worlds radio show," said Amanda to Melinda, sadly. "No, I'm not quite that old to have listened to it in 1938, but my parents did when they were little. I've seen far too much today to believe for a second that it isn't really happening." She smiled at Kathryn. "It's a pleasure to meet you, dear. I'm Amanda Deeds. I know how you feel. Everyone's afraid, terrified, and for good reason. Yes, we're in quarantine until they decide we're not 'infected.' The staff here found out the hard way that the dead are rising, but the brass won't listen. They think we're all crazy. A lot of us probably are by this point."

Lauren pressed herself against Emily and hugged her. "I love you, Mom," she said, her eyes welling up.

"You're welcome," Claire told Emily before speaking to Kathryn. "I'm sorry, but civilians are not allowed to be armed in the clinic. After you're cleared for duty, your weapons will be returned. In the meantime, you can rely on us to protect you. Airman Catherine Rourke here has an M-16, and she's very good with it."

"Thank you, ma'am," said Catherine.

"In an emergency, I'm sure we could use improvised weapons," said Beth, "but that's not always a good idea. Robert grabbed an IV stand when Simon Crane died and got back up, but he slipped and accidentally hit Major MacPherson with it. She died, but she had already been badly wounded by stray bullets. He's still beating himself up over it. That zombie didn't hurt anyone directly, but people died anyway because we overreact and give in to fear."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Emily laid down next to her daughter and closed her eyes in an attempt to sleep.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Lauren curled up in her cot and closed her eyes. Cynthia went into her own alcove and lay down on the cot there.

"Are you going to be okay, Kathryn?" Barbara asked her with concern. "Do you need anything?"
OOC,There's a very good chance that something interesting will happen later on, depending on what happens in a different thread, so I can't move things along here yet. You may need to wait a while for that. When I am ready to advance to the morning, that will mark the end of Chapter 6. Feel free to talk or interact with each other and/or the NPCs in the meantime.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"I´m fine, thank you, Barbara. I´ll turn in now." She puts her head on the pillow of her bunk and starts to drowse off. "Where did I leave that camera...?" Is what goes through her mind as she plays the recent events in her head. Where did I have it last? The memories bubbling up makes her having a hard time actually going to sleep. She keeps her ears open for any conversation between the others. Especially the ones she hasn´t met before,
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kathryn recalled that she had left the camera in one of the pockets of her vest, which had been taken back at the gates.
OOC,[b]Kathryn[/b], please roll Listen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

-But I don't know what is worst. The situation in itself of the dead rising and attacking, or own stupidity. By the way, anyone has any idea how is the rest of the country if there is a country still?
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Pulling the cover over her head, she shuts out all sound around her and listens to her mother singing her favorite lullaby. Before drifting into sleep, Kat promises herself to update her report on the digital.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're right dear," Amanda said to Melinda. "Human stupidity has killed far more people today than the dead have. I just hope those of us who are still alive are smart enough to learn from their mistakes."

"The motel had working communications gear," said Lt. Rebecca Doolittle. "It was so old that the problems with the satellites weren't affecting it. We were using it not only to talk to Warren AFB, but to places all over the world. We know that there were survivors in Omaha holding out at the CDC's Crisis Response Center and at CDC HQ in Atlanta, at least as of early this afternoon before we had to flee. As far as we can gather, the same things have been happening throughout the country and the rest of the world. We were speaking to NATO headquarters in Brussels, Belgium as well as Diego Garcia. There are probably scattered groups of survivors all over, but without communications each group is on its own."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Emily continues to sleep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

-Survivors. So civilization really crumbled.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kathryn falls into a deep sleep, long overdue.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amanda put an arm around Melinda. "We can rebuild," she said. "You and Keith are part of humanity's future now."

"We'll make it," said Catherine. "We will adapt and overcome."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

A bit later, Kat wakes up, shaken by a nightmare. She was back on the airfield. The memories springs back to her as she gets lucid. "Eh, Barbara..." She looks for the psychiatrist, and gets up. "I...I.. wonder if you have had any meteorological disturbances here the last 24 hours? We had some back at the airfield." She rubs her forehead, squinting with her eyes. "I think I need to speak with someone in charge. Something just came back to me. A repressed memory." She looks at the girls next to her. "Please..."
Spoiler:
Read through the background for Kat and realize she knows more than I´ve revealed. Time to share as the other players have no clue :oops:
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Mr Handy:
Spoiler:
I had a look though the old posts and saw that Kat mentioned the meteorite when talking to Sgt / Cpt Bloch. But to brief the officer in the ward of what has passed could be vital. I made a small chronological post of what happened.
Recap:

At an airfield 10 miles SW of Kearney, Nebraska

Z-DAY

This morning at the airfield has been chaotic to say the least. There had been over a hundred people and several aircraft at the field.

11:40 (AM) (11:40) Airfield -10 miles SW of Kearney, Nebraska -
A meteorite came down on the field. The captain in charge of the National Guard unit assigned to secure the field eventually ordered a squad to investigate, with disastrous results. The meteorite split open at their approach, and scores of mosquito-like creatures emerged and attacked. The men in the squad were all stung and fell, and the insects moved on to attack others.

Many of the survivors fled, taking all but one of the aircraft: a broken-down crop duster stored in Hangar 1 awaiting repairs. The rest, some thirty in number, holed up in the control tower. Those who survived the swarm then were attacked by the people who had been stung. They grabbed and began to eat the survivors, who then became like them.

The humans prevailed after a tough battle, but less than half of the people in the tower came through it alive. The only officer, 2nd Lt. George Sullivan, turned into one of the creatures too and was shot in the head, which is the only known means of quickly killing them. There was a brief struggle for control of the airfield, followed by an uneasy truce. The Nebraska State Troopers and two civilians retreated to Hangar 1, while the National Guard troops now led by Corporal Anthony Gardner kept control of the tower. I as only civilian was permitted to remain in the tower since I´m an air traffic controller. Neither group was allowed in the other group's building, but the other buildings and the outdoor areas were “neutral ground”.

00:10 PM (12:10) Central Time - Control Tower -
The last aircraft that attempted to land at the airfield was a passenger plane low on fuel that had around fifty people aboard. There was some kind of scuffle on board as it made its final descent, however, and it ended up crashing into the lake north of the airfield. That was a little past noon, and no other aircraft have come near...until the helicopter with Erica Spears arrived.

2:10 PM (14:10) Central Time - Control Tower -
Helicopter NSP 78R, a Nebraska State Police Bell Jet Ranger arrived to the airfield. NG Gardner made make them think they could refuel but he only wanted to hijack it to get to safety. The place he intended to fly to was here. To WAFB, he had intercepted radio traffic from you and knew you were up and running.

I´ve got some proof to my story in my digital camera you are keeping along with my clothes – well, none of the clothes are mine…. I…I had to borrow – steal from a farm to have anything to wear…What I have now, I´ve taken from the dead. They no longer needed their clothes or weapons.
All those people who tried to save me from him are also in the video journal I made. Is making, I mean. It´s mostly dialogue but it helps when trying to put the pieces together.

Listen, I´ve lied, I´ve stolen and I´ve killed. But only because I had to. I´d be dead otherwise.

If you can get me the camera, I´ll show you.

Kathryn McCoy continues her recap of events.

2:48 PM (14:48) Central Time – Outside the Control Tower –
The helicopter with pilot Erica Spears and a bunch of scientists left the airfield. I don´t know where to…I tried to get away from Gardner by then. Only to get caught and thrown into a police cruiser, get taken hostage and raped.

4:37 PM (16:37) Central Time - 26 miles west of Holdrege –
I was rescued by Jack Montrose, with the aid of airmen Flynn and Alvarez from the airfield. That is from the farm I was held at by Gardner. We left that place in The Montrose´s RV, with Jack was Emily, his wife, and Lauren their daughter.
We came up on another farm, later that day.
That´s when things got complicated. Some infected had trapped a boy up on the second floor. It was Kyle, the boy who came with us here. Through the trouble at the farm we ended up with all soldiers being killed as well as making Lauren fatherless.
We drove away from the farm in Kyle´s pick up truck. The one that´s abandoned outside your gates.

6:56 PM (18:56) Mountain Time - Big Mac Road, 1 mile south of Ogallala, Nebraska -
We tried to get to this base and needed to find a bus stop where some soldiers from WAFB should be according to Gardner who spoke of that place before he died.
Three women and a boy.

8:05 PM (20:05) Mountain Time - SaveMart Convenience Store, 2 miles south of Ogallala, Nebraska -
We must have taken a wrong turn somewhere because we never found that bus stop. We ended up at a grocery store. That´s where we joined up with Joey and the store keeper, Ho. They´re all in the men´s ward.

10:30 PM (22:05) Mountain Time - Northwest of Warren Air Force Base, west of Cheyenne, Wyoming –
After leaving the store in two cars we drove and ended up short from here. We established radio contact and the rest you know.
Is this information known to all the characters or are they playing in the dark?
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Good thinking. Most of that information was not known to the others, as [b]Kathryn[/b] was the only character from the airfield to survive to reach Warren AFB. Some of that information isn't quite accurate, but your thoughts are probably jumbled after everything you've been through anyway. There's also more than you've mentioned here. Don't forget that it was you who spoke to [b]Erica[/b] late in Chapter 2 on the radio as she was approaching the airfield. You do know where the scientists were heading: Omaha.
Barbara waved Captain Claire Kelleher over so she could hear too. Barbara held Kathryn's hand as she described her harrowing ordeal, sorrow on her face.

"We did have a meteor fall within the base perimeter during last night's meteor shower," said Claire. "It was left alone, as we were too busy to bother with it, but this afternoon some SFs were sent to investigate, and all hell broke loose. A swarm of giant mosquito-like creatures emerged from it and slaughtered them. Then some of them came this way, attacking the snipers on the roof and the guards at the front door. This was before we had our defenses up, and there was a major breach. It sounds a lot like what happened at the airfield near Kearney."

Barbara nodded. "It was horrible," she said. "I thought we were all going to die, but we managed to hold out."

"It wasn't a bus stop," said Lt. Rebecca Doolittle, "it was a truck stop, about forty miles east of here. I know, I was there."

"So was I," said Zorie Spooner, "but we had to evacuate early in the afternoon when our position was overrun. It wasn't just the dead coming after us. There was this huge worm-like thing that burrowed up out of the ground and attacked us. It massacred so many of us. Rebecca and I were two of the few survivors. We somehow managed to kill the creature when it tried to get us in the command room. Enough firepower and it went down, but the damage was done. The dead were closing in on us, and we barely escaped with our lives. Erica Spears was there too, but she got out of there in her helicopter before the monster came, along with two scientists - Dr. Brigetta Hausmann and Stephanie Bridges - and a couple of others. They wanted to go to Omaha. They believed they could help save the world if they got their data there."

"Your clothes have all been incinerated," said Claire. "If your camera was in a pocket of that Kevlar vest you were wearing, though, it's probably still there. I don't know what the guards at the gate did with it, but I'll let someone know and see if it can be recovered by morning."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

The new information makes Kat sit silently. Then she recollects herself and says, "That´s right they were headed to Omaha. They wanted to try the other airfield next to ours, but Gardner told them it was down. Did you get any word from the helicopter? They must have tried to contact you as they left the airfield... Did they get to Omaha?" Falling silent again she hesitates, "Worm? Like in Tremors? What is this are we being invaded by aliens?"
She keeps her voice down and whispers, "Fuck me sideways, twice." She shuts her eyes hard. Then opens them and looks back at Zoorie and Rebecca, "How do you cope? This is unreal... I´ve faced the walking dead and some creeps, but I thought it was some crazed experiment by the government. Something like mass hysteria stuff. Induced by some drug in the water supply. It´s all happening - for real." She cradles her knees in her arms and looks past the two women. "What will happen now?"
Clearly she will not be able to sleep at this time. "I need something to do. I just can´t sit here. All the towns and farms we passed on our way here were all overrun. Have you sent out scouts to see if there are more survivors or are you planning to sit here till the bullets run out?" She starts to look more determined now. "I had an idea when I was in the police cruiser. If the infected are gathering in towns and populated areas, and there as you say, are burrowers who eat us as snacks - we should find an island and use the resources there. If any infected are there, we get rid of them. That´s my best suggestion. Better than a fence, at least. Can I see some maps over this region, please?"
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We don't have any maps here at the clinic," said Claire. "I'll see what I can do about getting some ready by morning, but they're not going to deliver any supplies to us before then. By that time you may be cleared to leave quarantine. You'll most likely be assigned to air traffic control in Operations. They'll have maps there, including computerized ones, and you'll be able to talk to Lieutenant Colonel Carmichael, who is third in command of the entire base. You might want to be careful about mentioning certain things that seem outlandish. He doesn't believe that giant worm thing is real or even that the dead are rising. I didn't either until I learned the hard way. I don't know if there are any more like that creature, but it wouldn't surprise me."

Zorie shivered. "Yeah, that thing did remind me of a graboid," she said, "but it was different. It wasn't very fast, for one thing. To be honest, I'm not coping so well. I just try not to think about it." She paused in thought. "It's interesting that you mention aliens. Stephanie was convinced that aliens were behind this, and maybe she was right. Now she knew how to cope. No matter what happened, nothing fazed her. She just did what she needed to do. I wish I knew her secret."

Rebecca nodded. "I'm not doing so hot either," she said. "I just want to get back up in the air again. I can't stand being grounded. I can't stand thinking of those things underneath us, ready to pop up and..." She winced.

"Senior Airman Roger Coltrane is always going on about aliens too," said Claire, "but he's...well, his mind is pretty much gone now. We didn't hear anything by radio from the helicopter, so we don't know if they made it to Omaha. Our only communication was through the truck stop, and that ended early in the afternoon. An island might be a good idea, but we're not going to abandon this base. We have to hold out for as long as we can. Supplies will be a problem, as eventually we will run out, but we can at least last for long enough to acquire more. We haven't sent anyone out of the base to scout by land, as we don't want to risk bringing the infection back inside, but we have done some aerial scouting of the surrounding area. We've lost a few helicopters today too, not to mention their crews. One of them crashed trying to pick your group up outside the gates.

"Evacuating the base simply isn't feasible, except as a last resort in the event the base is about to be overrun. We have thousands of personnel here, and no means to transport everyone, not even close. And that's not even counting our supplies, most of which we'd have to leave behind. Traveling overland would be extremely dangerous, as you've discovered, and we're far from any islands. Besides, we have standing orders to hold the base as long as possible. This base also commands a sizable nuclear arsenal, and we can't take it with us." She looked around nervously before lowering her voice and continuing. "If we did have to leave, I'd worry that the CO would be tempted to fire the nukes off rather than lose them. He's probably tempted to do it anyway."

"He already used one this afternoon," said Zorie, "against everyone's advice. One of our missile bases was getting overrun, and he nuked it. It was a disaster, as we predicted. The radiation made things worse. It killed anyone who was left alive, and then they rose up. It did nothing to the dead who were already walking. Now they're hungry for human flesh and radioactive. Only those close to ground zero would have been destroyed by the blast. At least he's learned his lesson from that...I hope."

"I was there," said Rebecca. "I was the co-pilot of the chopper that flew the survivors out and to the truck stop. That one crashed too, because we had someone aboard who turned out to be infected and attacked the pilot. I should have been able to put us down safely, but I just lost it..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"Then you´re pretty much trapped here." She keeps the rest of her thoughts on that topic to herself. "I´d like to check those charts tomorrow and bring a group of civilians to a lake that fits the profile with an island. There we can set up a radio station and keep in contact with this base. If nothing else you will have eyes and ears at a location not compromised by a large number of inhabitants. And natural moot of water will hinder any of the infected to cross. It will be beneficiary for the base as it will have less mouths to feed. Right? With every added civilian or military to this base, the food will last shorter. It´s a dangerous task to move overland, but to stay doesn´t seem safe either. Look at what happened to the helicopters. And with the uncertainty of what happens around us the mental stability of all those here at the base will be faltering. That paired with guns make an equation summing up to trouble." She looks at the women and raises her eyebrows. "We´d need a couple of cars or trucks, some supplies and our gear back. Then we´re on our way. That is if anyone thinks my idea is worth trying out."
TVblog

Return to “Chapter 6 - Dead by Dawn”