Never Cry Wolf (Alrik, Berger, Weoulf, Sigfurd)

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Never Cry Wolf (Alrik, Berger, Weoulf, Sigfurd)

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Jarrl looked at the five Vikings standing below him and grinned devilishly. The Frost Giant held a giant-sized furry leather sac that looked like it was made from a half dozen polarbears, skinned and tanned with expertise skill for such a barbaric creature such as Jarrl.

In the sac! There's no other way!

The Vikings had quested this far into the perilous mountains of Helluland to retrieve one of the most famous weapons in the history of man.

Gungspir.. "The Odin Spear"

Orm had drove the spear deep into the belly of the Fenris Wolf and sent him toppling over a cliff face hundreds of feet to the rocks below. The Frost Giants had taken the wolf and the spear back to their own lands for whatever purpose.

Berger had used his crytaline skull he had stolen from the tomb of Tyr (Viking god of War) to scry the location of the Odin's spear. The Frost Giants had taken the wolf and the spear to the top of mount Odin. It was scarcely guarded, but the Vikings would have to pass through an entire Frost Giant Keep in order to access the temple Berger had seen through the scrying skull.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Now Sigfurd, Orm, Berger, Alrik and Weoulf,the Ijiraat Gregrigg and the Frost Giant captive Jarrl all sit around the campfire a few miles south of the Frost Giant Keep and discuss their plan.

Jarrl leans in close and smashes his fist onto the snow sending a small cloud of cold powder into the air, nearly extinguishing the fire.

If we're seen I'm dead and my brothers will pick their teeth with your bones. So in the sac!
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Re: Never Cry Wolf (Alrik, Berger, Weoulf, Sigfurd)

Post by Piano man »

Alrik shakes his head, and squeezes the bridge of his nose between his thumb and finger. He looks back up to Jarl with a steady look of anger that could melt the ice. I have already told you giant. That is not an option. Now I suggest you wrack that brain of yours and come up with another way to the edge of the camp. We'll kill the sentries if we have to, but that is only a last resort. Now I suggest that Jarl and I lead the way, and the rest of you follow, but not too closely. With the magic I got from the Temple of Tyr I should be able to sneak in and retrieve the spear. Then we can get out of hear, and on our way with the quest.

He looks back to Jarl knowingly, searching the giants eyes for deceit. Just get me close and I'll do the rest. Your kinsmen will never even know you were here.
Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

-Can't we just go at night? We are small, so we should pass easier.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by zielonobrody »

Weoulf
I'll gladly hitch a ride. Nothing warms my bones better than a little treachery. He stares down the giant and laughs in his face.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

See! Little man knows best. There are too many sentries for even giant slayer to kill.

Jarrl flashes Orm another frightful glance. Orm had found the giant slayer in the tomb of Tyr and the sword had been used to press Jarrl into Alrik's service.

Odin's peek is too steep for us to climb. The only entrance to the temple of Odin is through our keep at the base of the mountian. We have kept it since the gods abandoned this place and will keep it still if they return. The wolf and your spear is at the top.

Jarrl then looks to his massive sac and then back to Alrik.

I will do as you wish Al-rik, but if we are seen, then we all die!

Sigfurd grins at his friend Weoulf. Orm just sits with his sword on his lap and stares darkly at Jarrl. Orm had never been a talkative oarsman, but since he had heard new of his wife in Valhalla, he had grown even more inward than before.

Why don't we tie ropes to the giant's back. We could hide under Jarrl's furs and spill the traitor's guts on the snow if he gets any ideas, eh Weoulf?

ooc- Berger see pm.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Weoulf
Treachery and gut spilling! Count me in.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrik smiles at Sigfurd's suggestion. That is very wise. We will do as you say giant, but at the first sign of deceit you will know what it feels like to be run through by a giant slayer. Keep that in mind.

He glares at the giant to make sure he gets the point before turning to the men. I'm afraid though that I must insist on going in alone. I alone have the means to approach unseen, and as I've said before we were brought here for more important reasons than this spear. If I should fail consider it my final order to continue on and find the witch. Aid her as you can and be careful she is more powerful than any of you can imagine. Though she is despicable she still acts in the name of our people at least to some point.

Alrik walks over to Orm and places a hand on the man's shoulder. His gesture seems awkward and a little forced, but still sincere. At least as sincere as anyone here has ever seen him. Do not worry. If I fail I will be standing in Valhalla. I will sing to the gods of your glorious deeds, and you will not be denied entry. It is more honorable for a viking to follow his duty, and live as you do.

He turns to Weoulf, and Sigfurd and addresses them next. The two of you are mighty indeed, and with the power of the weapons you wield behind you there is little that can stop you. But with power must come wisdom to temper it or you will be as much of a harm to us as to our enemies. He holds their gazes for a few seconds as if weighing each of them individually. I believe you each have the honor and wisdom to do as you are commanded. So I will not ask for your word on this. You will leave me if I fail and continue on for our people.

Lastly he looks at Berger and wrinkles his nose in disgust as the man's stench wafts in Alriks direction. He begins to speak saying the man's name and then stops. He studies the warrior for a little longer and then shakes his head before starting again. Berger...just try not to get everyone killed. You are a drunken louse, and cannot be trusted with the simplest of tasks. Fail in this and I promise your lips will never touch another drop of alcohol. Stick with the others and do as you are told, and there will be endless amounts of spirits in your future.

Once all of his men are addressed he turns back to the giant. Alright Jarl. We'll do it your way. Get us past the sentries, and find some out of the way place for us to plan our next moves. Remember though that the tip of Weoulf's sword will be pressed against your back and if I get the slightest sense of treachery you will be run through.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

ooc - I'm gonna wait for Kabukiman for a bit then assume he's drunk and going along with the plan. lol
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Berger starts going with a strange look to the other side...
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

As Orm and Sigfurd begin to strap ropes around Jarrl's neck and back to brace themselves beneath his heavy cloak.

The group quickly notices Berger walking in the opposite direction of the Frost Giant Keep along the eastern side of Mount Odin.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Weoulf
I guess endless amounts of spirits aren't to his liking, he says and continues on with his work. He establishes a position for himself on the left side of the giants back and tries to feel out the giant's ribs so as to be ready to stab between them straight to the heart.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrik watches the drunken viking move away with surprising steadyness. He's seen the man sober before, and he almost seems more capable when he's drunk. Not to say he thought the man was respectable, but steady, fearless, drunk Berger is better than a shaky one, or no Berger at all for that matter. Berger. Where are you going.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

He look strangely and then says.
-I was trying to run from... nevermind, it's probably better this way. Why don't we go sligthly west of the mountain?
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrik looks at Berger for a while weighing the man and his words. He thinks of the skull, and of the spirits the man has consumed, and is not sure which of those might be influencing him now. If you know something we do not then now would be the time to share. If not then get in the sac.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-I'm going to the sac. And the gods if they trully exist may be merciful of us- he mumbles
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Weoulf
Let's get a move on, shall we? I don't fell like riding a giant all day.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

With Weoulf holding a blade to Jarrl's back the frost giant heaved the sac of Vikings over his shoulder with an unanimous grunt from all those within. The stench of Berger's spirit stale breath plays havoc on Orm and Sigfurd's stomachs. Alrik pulled his white fur cloak over his head and seemed to vanish into the falling snow.

The group walks for a short while through the mountains and then Jarrl stops suddenly. Everyone hears heavy footsteps before another giant calls out to Jarrl in a loud obnoxious tongue.

ooc - Alrik roll Hide.
ooc- Berger and Weoulf roll luck.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Luck (1d100=61)
ooc: now where do I have my stats... I'll let the GM look it up, I'm sure you have them tucked away under a pile of books neatly somewhere...
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alirik hide roll 85
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Return to “Chapter 5: The Good The Bad and the Eskimo”