The Chieftain's Spear (Faroo, Kinaktok, Unulaq)

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

The Chieftain's Spear (Faroo, Kinaktok, Unulaq)

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Faroo, Thorrin, Kinaktok and Unulaq quickly pack their belongings onto their sleds. Faroo had lost a number of his dogs to an undead plague, but Arrluk offers his own sled dogs to replace them. Just as they are about to leave, Three of the Elders approach. Elder Pamiruq is holding the chieftain’s spear in both his hands. He straps it to his son’s sled and then smiles at Kinaktok.

We have decided… One of you three will be chief to the Dorset people. Unulaq has already slain an Ijiraat bear but we all agree that Faroo and my son should be given a chance to best him.

Pamiruq eyes pass from Faroo to Unulaq and then back to Kinaktok.

Take the spear… We leave it to you three to decide who returns with it!
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Re: The Chieftain's Spear (Faroo, Kinaktok, Unulaq)

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq frowned and muttered quietly, "Now is not the time to test our friendships and loyalties with this. We have enough to worry about." He nodded and forced a smile to his face, then called out to his dogs to get moving and gave a quick shake of the reins. He headed onward in the direction where he remembered hiding the dagger.
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Midnightlight »

Kinaktok nods to his father before mounting his own sled and having his dogs take after Unalaq quickly. "It would be nice of you to realize that I do not care about becoming Chief, Father." escapes from his mouth in a whisper as he leaves.
Ash
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by Ash »

I will be Cheif, if you so wish it of me.
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Kinaktok only nods before focusing on the broad horizon.
Ash
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Ash »

Let us leave this place and begin our quest.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq let the cold air rush at his face once more. It always served to wake him up and keep him alert in the past. He looked down a moment at Thorrin riding within the dog sled and knew that despite the head start he had, Kinaktok and Faroo would have no trouble catching up to him because of the extra 200 pounds on his sled. He hoped that the knife was still there on the beach where he left it, but he doubted it would be. If it were not, perhaps Sedna would see it in her will to leave a trail to find where Tornuaq had disappeared to.
Ash
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Ash »

So where exactly did you leave the knife Unalaq?
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The three sleds ride heavy into the darkness of the snowy plains. Their only guide was their memory of the Thule fishing grounds where Tornuaq and Unulaq had originally found Thorrin and the Viking knife. By the will of Sedna, a hundred Beluga whales had beached themselves on the shore along with the Viking bard Thorrin. Why the goddesss took such a vested interesrt in the Norseman…. no one knows. Thorrin had betrayed his people and stolen the one thing that could lead them to the Odin’s rune.

Unulaq caught Thorrin’s eye as he turned to make sure the others were still following and he could see the weigth of the world on his shoulders. He was truly frightened. Whether for himself or his friends, the Dorset Hunter could not be certain.

A blizzard begins to fall heavily on the hunters, but time was of the essence so they pushed on through the thick cold and snow.

ooc- Everyone roll Spot hidden and Sled
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

dice roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2385118/]Spot (78) ; Sled (49) (1d100=50, 1d100=20)[/url] - success in both
Unalaq called out over the winds rushing past them, "It is on a beach, Sedna willing, laying where I left it buried under some stones. I had originally led Tornuaq into believing I threw it in the icy waters. Even then, he tried to retrieve it nearly freezing himself to death. You can see the importance of hiding it from him. It has some sort of call upon those who come into contact with it, beyond the point of self-preservation." He shook his head and frowned as he said "I had assumed the pull was over later and made the mistake of telling him it wasn't in the waters after all. I had no idea it still called to him. I hope he didn't find it."
Ash
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Ash »

Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

rolls,[urlhttp://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2387962/]Spot Hidden[/url] [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2387966/]Sledding[/url] Both succeed.
"He was that desperate for it?" Kinaktok calls back, urging the dogs to pull closer, Unalaq's words barely heard past the howling winds.
Ash
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Ash »

Spoiler:
1d100=53

Sleding along hopefully
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Moving at top speed, Unulaq and Kinaktok bring their sled teams to a skidding stop as they react to the danger in front of them. Thorrin tumbles off the front of Unulaq's sled and draws his sword. Just meters ahead of them, hidden in the thick blizzard walks a host of Viking. In the moonlight both Unulaq and Kinaktok catch a glimpses of the enemy before them. Horrible twisted faces and rotting flesh clothed in the metal rings and scales of the Viking warriors all turn and stare blankly at the Dorset hunters. The stench of the undead is overwhelming. The evil power that raised such creatures washes over Unulaq and Kinaktok like a thick malevolent sea.

ooc- Unulaq and Kinaktok make Sanity checks. If you pass, post normally. If you fail, you are overwhelmed with fear and cannot act.

Faroo however failed to notice the hoarde of Viking zombies. His dogs charge through the mass of writhing horror. Faroo expertly guides his team to the otherside. A short but terrifying sled ride through the center of the undead Viking army. His sled comes to a skidding hault on the other side of the hoarde.

From all around all the hunters hear the zombies groaning...

MELKOOOOOORKAAAAA! MELKOOORKAAAA! MELLLLLKOOORKKAAAAA!

ooc- The zombie hoarde is 20 feet wide and 50 feet long continuing on either side of the blizzard beyond the party's view. In this 20 foot by 50 ft square there are close to 20 zombies. Unulaq, Thorrin and Kinaktok are on one side of the zombies and Faroo is on the other. Faroo has encountered these creatures before and does not need to make a sanity check. Go!
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

As Kinaktok's eyes lay upon the horde of the undead, he drops from his sled and stares at the creatures, stunned.
Ash
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Ash »

Faroo reaches for his spear and knife and begins to hack through the horde
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,Sanity failure: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2404805/]Sanity (53%) (1d100=94)[/url] :P
Unalaq blinked, maintaining his hold on the reins as he stared at the hord of undead creatures. He had seen some strange things in the past week, but this took the cake - and his rational mind. His eye twitched and his jaw dropped in horror.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

As Faroo leaps into the hoarde the zombified Vikings directly in front of him stop moving forward and regard the Dorset Hunter. A ferocity Faroo had seen before on the plains with Mannitok washes over the two directly in front of him. The rest of the zombies ahead in the twisted marching band continue walking leaving 10 or so to stand between Faroo and his Dorset brothers.

ooc- Faroo, combat rolls please. Strike, parry, damage, damage bonus (1d100, 1d100, 1d8, 1d4)
ooc - Kinaktok and Unulaq. Roll Sanity checks to act. (Thery lose 2 Sanity each) I will adjust character sheets.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2412753/]Sanity (51%) (1d100=35)[/url] - whoo-hoo... I can act!
Unalaq pulled out his spear and charged the closest zombie creature, thrusting fiercely and squarely into the midsection of the beast impaling it in what should be a very painful attack. "What sort of creatures are these?" He asks in further disbelief... hoping someone can explain it to him in a manner he can better accept than what seems more obvious.
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
1d100 → [19] = (19)
I can act, right? If not, I'll edit my post after. How would I attack?

Kinaktok readies his bow and searches frantically for an arrow. "All I know is they smell horrid!"

Return to “Chapter 5: The Good The Bad and the Eskimo”