OOC: Chapter 2 - LONDON, Starts 28th Jan 1925

At long last the Stars are almost Right. Soon Nyarlathotep's plans will come to fruition. Then the world will be changed irrevocably -- but not quite yet. Pesky human investigators have learned much, but can they survive long enough to make sense of what they know?

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

OOC: Chapter 2 - LONDON, Starts 28th Jan 1925

Post by Raiko »

There's a nice hotel, just called the 'Station Hotel,' right outside Euston Station during the 20s.

London's most famous hotels, eg the Ritz, are mostly in the Mayfair District - particularly on Park Lane. Obviously there are cheaper hotels throughout the city.
London Clues:

The Penhew Foundation – Archaeological organisation founded by the late Sir Aubrey Penhew. Based at 35 Tottenham Court Road, according to business card found at the scene of Jackson Elias’ murder,

Sir Aubrey Penhew – Co-Leader of the ill fated Carlyle Expedition to Africa of 1919. Believed to have been murdered in Kenya. Founder of the London based Penhew Foundation. Owned several stately homes, including a large house in London.

Edward Gavigan – Current director of the Penhew Foundation, according to the Penhew Foundation business card found at the scene of Jackson’s murder.

Inspector James Barrington – Scotland Yard detective leading the investigation into the so called Egyptian Murders, mentioned in Jackson Elias’ scrawled London Notes.

Nethaniel Moore – London based researcher, close friend of Jackson Elias, may be in danger according to Miram Atwright of Harvard University.

The Scoop – Weekly London tabloid newspaper, mentioned in Jackson’s London Notes.

The London Notes of Jackson Elias – Crazy scrawled, handwritten notes written by Jackson Elias during his visit to London, shortly before his murder in New York.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Re: OOC: Chapter 2 - LONDON, Starts 28th Jan 1925

Post by Raiko »

I'll be moving all of the the chapter one threads into the 'previous chapters' sub-forum in another 24 hours time.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I've added a quick summary of 'London Clues' to the first post of this thread, I'll try to remember to keep updating that post as the chapter progresses, so that you always know where to look for the list. :)

I'll be updating character sheets at lunchtime.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I've now moved the chapter one threads into the 'Chapter One' sub-forum in the previous chapters area.

Here's a hyperlink to them

If you missed the updates over the weekend, don't forget to read them for the details of chapter one's skill checks.

I still need details of the two 'discretionary skill increases' from a few players, and also the single skill increased aboard the ship.

@Trixie: Locksmith is fine, hope Timour wasn't trying to intrude on Andrei's grief! ;)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

I shoulda upped Maks' drive again! Seems to be the main thing he does.

Ah well, with a Persuade of 85% and an APP 17 he'll never want for female company again!

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Ok, as far as I can tell, I've updated all character sheets to be correct for everything that's been posted so far.

Imme: You haven't made a roll to heal Elizabeth's sanity during the voyage (+1d6)
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Oooh, free San! :)
san gain (1d6=4)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

imme wrote:Oooh, free San! :)
san gain (1d6=4)
Thanks, I've updated Elizabeth's sheet.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Elizabeth wrote:"Should we stay here or go to the Ritz or ...?"
Apparently as well as extremely fashionable, the Ritz was very 'forward thinking' for the time, they even allowed unchaperoned single women to stay there.

Imagine the scandal of it! ;)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Caroline isn't unchaperoned! :D

imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

No, but Elizabeth is. :(
Or has been, since Andrei started locking himself up on the ship.
(Yes, I know, Johnny is technically the chaperon.)
Last edited by imme on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Maksim does have two elbows on which to hang the ladies! :D

trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by trixie »

imme wrote:No, but Elizabeth is. :(
Or has been, since Andrei started locking himself up on the ship.
(Yes, I know, Johnny is technically the chaperon.)
Timour would gladly offer his arm! :D
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

One thing that’s still outstanding from chapter one, is my long awaited (:oops:) summaries of those books from the safe in the Carlyle library. Since you’ve all been so patient with me, I’ve included a summary of all four books, and not just the three that you examined during Erica’s party.

Perhaps the ‘Guardian’ of The Pnakotic Manuscripts is one of the reason’s that Andrei locks himself away.
The Books in Carlyle’s Safe:

Selections de Livre d’Ivon: A French commentary written in 1240 by Gaspard du Nord of Averiogne, France. Gaspard claims to be a sorcerer of great power, and that this work is based on his interpretations of a Greek book called The Book of Eibon - itself supposedly translated from earlier Atlantian and Hyperborean works. The original tome was reputedly penned by the Hyperborean wizard Eibon, and was found amid the ruins of his blasted tower.

The Pnakotic Manuscripts: An Old English translation by an anonymous translator. The first portions of these manuscripts are written in a curious sort of cuneiform and dot-group glyphs, which is possibly a cipher. Later portions are mostly commentaries and efforts at translation by a succession of translators, each of which have been translated in turn into Old English. Again claims are made by the author that the manuscripts have been handed down since hyperborean times, and indeed that the original ‘fragments’ predate human civilisation. The translated portions of the manuscripts carry the warning that ‘A Guardian’ will be extract a price from all who read from them.

Note: Professor Cowles also mentioned The Pnakotic Manuscripts.

The People of the Monolith: Volume of poetry by Justin Geoffrey. A rare prepublication draft from 1919. Includes such poems as “People of the Monolith”, “Dark Desires”, “Mirror of Nitocris”, “Out of the Old Land”, “Star Beast” and “Summer in Darkness.”

Life as a God: A handwritten diary by Montgomery Crompton, an English artist who travelled to Egypt in 1805 and claims to have became a minor priest of a cult calling itself the Brotherhood of the Black Pharaoh. The work appears to be bound in human skin, and narrates all manner of unspeakable acts committed for the ‘Pharaoh of Darkness.’
Obviously one or more of these books could contain important clues, and Thomas still has access to them all. I’d like you to decide between you which one he attempts to study first (I don’t think he can read French though). Any information that he can extract from the books will eventually be forwarded to you via Paris. 8-)
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Forgot to put Caroline's name in there:
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1329680

First Aid +6
Library Use: +4

Yea! She's better at Band-Aids.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Laraqua wrote:Maksim does have two elbows on which to hang the ladies! :D
I'm not sure the Ritz is *that* forward-thinking.

Plus, you don't want to blow our cover. :oops:
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by coffee demon »

I'm rolling for Andrei in Cthulhu Mythos* and Occult - the majority of his time in Chapter One was spent reading Jackson's Notes, and any other literature they picked up.

Occult +3% Cthluhu Mythos +6%

*If I can't do Cthulhu Mythos, I'll change that roll to Archeology or Anthropology. Keeper's choise of whatever's most appropriate. If Cthulhu Mythos will take down my SAN by 6, I'm willing to take the hit!
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I'd prefer that you don't gain Cthulhu Mythos skill through these increases, there'll be plenty of opportunities to boost that skill through the campaign though.

Of the two alternate skills that you listed, I'd recommend Archeology, but either would fit in with Andrei's reading.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by coffee demon »

I'll do Archeology then - adjusting Character Sheet now.

Return to “Raiko's Masks of Nyarlathotep Game”