Page 1 of 1

Masks Chit Chat.

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:23 pm
by Raiko
I’ve created this thread as the adventure is going to branch out a little. Mr.Handy will be playing Detective Sergeant Jones of Scotland Yard, and Zielonobrody will be playing his partner / boss Detective Inspector Barrington. :)

They aren’t currently allies, strictly speaking, so I’ll need separate OOC threads. Hence a chit chat thread; it’ll never rival that thread of Laraqua’s, but we do need somewhere for non-game chatter. :)

So this is a good time to welcome Mr Handy and Zielonobrody to the game. I’ll try to have a private “Scotland Yard” sub-forum up later today, and hopefully the police game will running by the end of next week. This is something that I had planned to do from the start of this chapter, but the player who was supposed to play Barrington never returned.

BTW: The cops are allowed to arrest the others if they like. :twisted:

Hmm, more threads for me to keep in sync. :rolls:

Hey Trixie! Look another chat chat thread for ya. :lol:

Re: Masks Chit Chat.

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:23 pm
by Raiko
Since this is mostly for non-game chat, and since we really should probably know each other a little better by now (and I really don’t have time to read all of Laraqua’s chit chat threads), here’s some stuff about me.

My real name is Gary, but you already know that cus I put it in all my PMs. ;)

I live in rainy Lancashire in the north west of England, and work as a software engineer for BAE Systems (formerly called British Aerospace).

Other than CoC, which I never get to play face-to-face, my favourite RPG is Shadowrun which I’ve played since it first come out. The nice thing about Shadowrun is that it’s easy to add Cthulhu type horror between the cracks, so my players who don’t want to play CoC end up playing it anyway! :twisted:

Shadowrun’s been on hold for the last year or so, as we’re playing Paizo’s excellent Savage Tide adventure path for D&D 3.5. On the subject of D&D/Paizo I love Pathfinder (another game that’s really CoC behind the scenes) and hate 4th Edition.

Other than RPGs, I’ve got loads of kids so I don’t have much time for other hobbies or an (offline) social life (:cries:), but I love watching football (both the English and American versions). In the English league I support Manchester United, I had a season ticket until a couple of years ago. In the NFL I support the Raiders (:().

That’s contrast, one is possibly the best team in the World at the moment, and the other is one of the worst!

Oh, and I’ve got an Xbox 360, love GTA4 and I’m looking forward to trying Resident Evil 5, and possibly the new Silent Hill (might look for a review from Laraqua).

BTW: Don’t feel obliged to volunteer personal info. This game’s been fine so far without a ‘lounge area.’ But I thought I’d kick things off for those who were interested. :)

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:24 pm
by Raiko
One more thing.

I think that everyone has posted except for DSIGFUSS, so I'll try to move the game along ASAP.

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
Hi, everyone! I'm glad to be aboard.

How much leeway do we have for character creation? Do our characters have first names and backgrounds already established, or are we free to choose them? Do they already have stats and skills determined, or should we follow the character generation instructions in the thread in the General Information subforum?

I've played Shadowrun before in college and also enjoyed it, but it's been a long time. My only problem with the system is that certain numbers (multiples of 6) cannot be rolled. I like that it's open-ended so you can keep adding dice as long as you roll a 6, but the probability curve should be smoother (for instance, by adding the next die to 5 instead of 6 and adjusting TNs accordingly). Maybe this was fixed in later editions. In a game I made myself I had an open-ended d10-based system where 0 counts as zero, and you get to roll another die and add it as long as you keep getting 9s. It's very easy to calculate probabilities that way.

The last time I played D&D was 2nd Edition. I've played some non-D&D d20 variants that are similar to 3/3.5, but I prefer BRP to d20 any day. From what I've heard, you're right to hate 4th Edition.

Games are pretty much my main hobby too. These include not just RPGs, but also computer games, board games, and gamebooks. I also make my own games when I have the time, which isn't often. One reason for that is that I'm busy running Zombie Apocalypse (which everyone is welcome to join), which is probably the only game on this site that's been running longer than this one - it started on another site, though. That one's even more of challenge when it comes to keeping threads in sync.

I don't know much about English football, but I do watch American football and I'm an Eagles fan. As cruddy as the Raiders are now, they've still won the Super Bowl, which the Eagles haven't done (yet) - the Raiders even beat them back in 1981.

I have a PS3 in addition to my PC. RE5 looks good to me too, but I haven't even played RE4 yet. I've got it, I just haven't had time to play it (or Silent Hill 4, for that matter).

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:09 pm
by Laraqua
I run a Vampire: the Masquerade LARP in the Camarilla official chronicle where the bungled attempts to be clever by the PCs led to the building they were gathering in being cordoned off, evacuated (except for the basement floor they were in) and then being overrun by STARS. Some surrendered straight away, were processed and released. Some shot back. A couple were torpored. Some fled through tunnels connected to an underground trap door. LOTS of fun! Lots of hard work. I'm a VST for around 25-30 PCs at a game.

I used to run Demon: the Fallen but it's on hiatus as it's hard to get players who are interested in a Call of Cthulhu-type investigation game, even when it's a higher powered one where you get to play the supernaturals.

I've been running a fiendish campaign of D&D with a church that sends out teams of captured fiendish PCs against the Apocalypse.

I run too many games on here :P

I love Fall Out 3 and am currently immersed in it. I play WoW on occasion. I'm Job Searching and hating it. I miss being a university student. I'm deeply in love. And I wish I could have a pet cat in my flat but am sadly allowed no pets.

Also, Silent Hill rocks, as does Resident Evil (at least from 4 onward when it comes to RE). Try Forbidden Siren. It starts on Hard Mode and just gets harder but the plot is so much more surreal and awesome than anything else's. Project Zero (a.k.a. Fatal Frame) also has an awesome plot that is creepy in an urban legendy sort of way (not like the movie, but like those stories that get under your skin).

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:26 pm
by Mr. Handy
I played Vampire: the Masquerade back in college (and a little in grad school). I only played tabletop a couple of times, but I've been in a few LARPs.

I'd like to run more games on here, as I've got lots of cool ideas, but Zombie Apocalypse is taking up way too much time to allow me to run anything else - it's like running four games at once! Maybe once the cast of characters gets whittled down to something more manageable or during the break between Chapters 4 and 5 (there shouldn't be much additional prep work required) I'll have a chance to get something else started. One idea I had a couple of years ago is a relatively short adventure called "The Devil's Right Hand" set in modern-day Phoenix, Arizona. A notorious serial killer has just been caught, but there are some aspects of the case that don't make sense. Is the nightmare really over? There's also an idea I had even before that I call "Alexander's Possession" set in Greece in the early spring of 1941, where an Allied expedition is racing against time, rivals, and the impending German invasion to discover an artifact once owned by Alexander the Great that some believe could tip the balance of power in the war. The one I want to run the most I just thought of a few days ago. It's called "Space Oddity" and involves parallel investigations in July 1969 and 2009. This one would probably be set in Philadelphia. I don't want to give away too much about it, but it should be quite a trip!

I haven't played Fallout 3 yet, but you'll probably love Fallout 1 and 2 a lot better. The graphics might not be as impressive, but the gameplay is top-notch. You can pick them up cheap, for only $6US each (which is a lot less than I paid for them, and even that was well worth the price). I've never played WoW, but I've heard it can be addictive, so good for you for not letting it dominate you. I've played Silent Hill 2 and 3 and enjoyed them (2 moreso than 3). I haven't played 4 yet, but that's next on my playlist after I finish Space Quest 6 already. I've got Resident Evil 2 and 3 on my PC and have played and enjoyed them a bunch, but it's been years. I've got PS2 versions of Code: Veronica X, 4, Outbreak 1 and 2, and Dead Aim, but haven't had time to play them yet either (notice a pattern here? ;) ). I don't think I've ever seen Forbidden Siren or Fatal Frame, but I've heard about them and will keep my eyes open for them.

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:31 pm
by Decrepit
I'm Jim, living in southeastern Iowa, U.S.

Pretty much all of my current gaming, apart from this, is board gaming. In my younger days, I played a lot of AD&D 1e, a very little 2e, and a fair bit of 3.5. I used to like to get RPG books that I'd maybe read, probably wouldn't play. Shadowrun was among them. I tend to clam up in face-to-face games; I'm a bit more frothy here, though I still tend to defer to others and play characters who aren't exactly central to the missions. I've got a couple kids (9, 7), a wife, and a cat I keep trying to give away. None of them really likes gaming much, including the cat, although he'll paw at the boxes if I let him. I have a Wii but the wife and kids use it more than me; I got a fairly high-end PC a few years ago, after a series of Macs, thinking I'd really play some games but only ended up playing KotOR (which admittedly was excellent). I'd hardly associate the GameCube with hardcore, but that was the phase when I was more into video games than now.

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:47 pm
by Mr. Handy
I've got KoTOR I and II and have played both of them through once each, though I'd like to play them again if I ever have time and try different things. The first game is indeed excellent. The second one is less so, but still enjoyable. I hope there's a third one, and that its designers focus on the things that made the first one great.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:48 pm
by Raiko
I’m a little busy today, so it’ll probably be tomorrow before I move things on.

I’ll try to put the Scotland Yard sub-forum up today though.

Shadowrun 4 dropped the old ‘reroll 6s’ rule for one where sometimes rolling a 6 gives you an extra die. Things have kind of gone full circle, because whereas the original World of Darkness games were very similar to Shadowrun, but using d10s, the latest edition of Shadowrun is like a copy of “New WoD,” using d6s.

The new system means that results are more linear, and there’s no ‘dead spots’ anymore, but it has lost a little of it’s charm.

I played 1st Edition AD&D at school ages ago, and we eventually started using various different systems for fantasy games (WFRP, GURPS and Ars Magica mainly). I owned 2nd Edition, but I don’t think we ever actually played it.

We switched back to D&D when third edition came out, as Feats looked like a fun idea, but we adapted our long running existing game to D&D and started at level 4.

My Savage Tide game is an experiment as much as anything, it’s a well designed level 1-20 adventure so it’ll hopefully show us all the good and bad sides of D&D at various levels. I already know that Pathfinder RPG is better than 3.5, but I’m determined to stick with vanilla D&D right through the campaign.

This weekend I’ve also been talked into starting another game via VTT software (Maptool), as one of my players can’t play face-face anymore. :( I’m planning to run Paizo’s Rise of the Runelords AP, which is excellent. I’ll be trying out Savage Worlds rather than 3.5 or Pathfinder as I’ve heard very good things about it. Between the tabletop and vtt fantasy games I’ll know which way to go in future (if Savage Worlds is as good as I’ve heard then I’ll use that for future fantasy settings, otherwise I’ll use Pathfinder RPG as a replacement for 3.5).

I like BRP, but I think it’s a little too brutal for fantasy games. Personally I like realistically lethal combat systems, but I know from prior experience with WFRP, GURPS and my old Shadowrun 3 house rules that my players don’t really feel the same way. Barring any ‘save or die’ effects, D&D normally gives you a round or two to realise that you are in over your head, so that your precious character can bug out. BRP, WFRP and GURPS don’t. One second you’re bravely drawing your longsword to face down the minotaur, the next you’re laying in two halves in the middle of a pool of blood! :twisted:

Savage Worlds is somewhere in between I think.

I’ve got Fallout 3, but I haven’t played it much at all yet. I never tried 1 & 2, which is surprising as I loved Baldurs Gate 1 & 2.

I’ve not played RE since RE2, as my 360 is the first console I’ve owned since my old PS1.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:49 pm
by Mr. Handy
No rush, take your time. I'm pretty busy during the week anyway.

I didn't know that Shadowrun had lost its way, as I haven't played it in over a decade. I recently bought the Shadowrun PC game since I now have a computer that can run it and it dropped in price to $20, but it looks geared mainly to multiplayer battles. it can be played solo against bots, but it doesn't look like it's got a story-based single player campaign.

I've heard good things about Savage Worlds too, and I've also read through the Quick Start rules. It's a very intuitive yet powerful and versatile system.

I also like combat systems that are realistically deadly. In epic heroic fantasy, you might want to avoid that, but I've always found it rather silly that as a 10th level fighter (or even 2nd level) you can just laugh off someone threatening you by pointing a crossbow at your back. In Call of Cthulhu, a lucky shot from a .38 can kill anyone, no matter how tough, which encourages finding solutions other than combat. GURPS is actually more of a middle ground. It's easy to knock someone down to 0 HP in GURPS, as HP totals are similar to BRP, but actually killing someone through raw damage is a lot tougher. In BRP, you're mortally wounded at 0 HP. In GURPS, you can go to -HT before you even have to roll against HT to survive. If you have an HT of 12 or higher, that means you're likely to survive after taking massive damage, and you can even stay conscious and keep fighting through sheer force of will. If you have an HT of 16 or more, you're nearly impossible to kill or knock out unless you've taken at least 96 damage. Sure, you may be in a coma for months afterwards, but you'll probably survive.

You'd love Fallout 1 and 2. I have Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, but haven't played 1 much or 2 at all (again, lack of time). I did like what I played of Baldur's Gate, but I think Fallout is better.

My PS3 is the only console I've ever owned. It's backwards compatible, so it could play old PS1 games, but I haven't been lucky enough to find the original Resident Evil or Silent Hill, both of which I've heard are excellent. The vast majority of my games are PC games, collected over the last 16.5 years. Now that I've been working full-time for the last seven years and change, I have enough money to afford the games I want, but I no longer have the time needed to play them.

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:16 am
by Decrepit
I remember when I briefly switched my high school players from D&D to Top Secret: SI and found it interesting that they found getting shot was kind of, well, deadly.

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:53 pm
by trixie
I find it amazing that in live campaigns I die more often than not....and yet on here, I've yet to lose a character. *knocks on wood*

Perhaps all the keepers are afraid of losing their players on here, whereas your presence is taken for granted of in a live campaign because...well...where are you going to disappear off to...the laundry room? LOL

Still, I love all my characters but wish a few of them would die of natural causes. It happens so often in tabletop but in two years I still haven't lost anyone on here. Weird!
Raiko wrote:Hey Trixie! Look another chat chat thread for ya. :lol:
Oh dear....my reputation precedes me. Or is that I have it advertised in my signature! :lol: On a personal note, my real name is Karin and I'm a mom of two in suburban greater Vancouver. I game a lot on here, and Saturday nights in tabletop. Other than that, I'm not a video game fan or anything, just really love to write and this gives me the chance. Plus I'm a social butterfly, so this is a good outlet for that flitting and fluttering I naturally need to do. LOL I'm a huge fan of the muppets and play on Dark and Moody Forums as well, where I play Miss Piggy and get to abuse the ranks and be completely self involved. Nothing like me! *bats lashes innocently*

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm
by Laraqua
The latest Silent Hill game ... I want.

End of story.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:12 am
by Mr. Handy
Trixie, you did lose a character in a game on this site. Remember Shilo, in Ash? If you really want to have a good chance of losing characters, you should play Zombie Apocalypse. I haven't lost a character yet in any games on this site, and I love all of mine too. I don't mind that they've all survived so far, though. I also am planning to run Space Oddity, the game I mentioned that's set in 1969 and 2009, if you're looking for something groovy and less deadly (which is not to say there's no risk of death).

Last week I bought a used copy of Silent Hill 0rigins (that's a zero, not the letter O), the prequel game on PS2. Don't know when I'll have time to play it, though. There's also Silent Hill Homecoming on the PS3, but I don't have that one yet - I'm still waiting for the price to come down. Is that the one you're drooling over, Laraqua, or is there an even newer one?

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:30 pm
by trixie
Handy, I have bad news. Shilo was doomed from the beginning. She was set up to die, created to die, and told to die by her puppeteer. So I don't think she really counts. LOL

I guess you're right though, I can't claim no one's died now. But don't you really want to give Shilo a kiss?

I have too many games, so until someone bites the biscuit I have to pass on rolling anyone new. They must die! I need BLOODSHED! :lol:

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Well, that explains her recklessly suicidal behavior. Now I don't feel so bad about not being able to save her.

I'm in too many games too, so I know what that's like. While none of my characters have died yet, some of the games I've been in have. Good luck with the, uh, getting killed thing. :D

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:14 am
by trixie
Yur right of course....she was a little obsessed with walking OUT the doors of the big comfy building....why would anyone leave a cinema anyhow....popcorn, pop and gummy worms galore? Heat and warm water and crazy flying things outside?

Except for the dead lady in the bathroom it woulda been quite cozy. LOL

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:25 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Hey Raiko...

Are we starting up again in the Spice Shop with the burgling and the Hey Hey?

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:38 pm
by trixie
Yes I'm also wondering about the belly dancer and the Hey Hey. While we're talking hey hey anyhow ;) ....LOL

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:21 am
by Mr. Handy
That's right, Nethaniel, you keep breaking the law, and I'll keep practicing saying "You're nicked!" with a suave British accent. :twisted:

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:37 pm
by Raiko
Sorry I've been dead busy again at work. :mad:

I should be able to post in each thread sometime today - and also start the private forum for the cops.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:47 am
by Mr. Handy
That's okay, I've been busy lately too. I do have the next week off from work, so I'll have some free time coming up.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:09 pm
by Raiko
Good news. The project that has taken up all of my time at work for the last six months or so is finally complete, so hopefully I can now resume a more leisurely schedule – giving me time to run my online games again. :)

I’ve really missed being able to regularly post here, so I hope everyone’s still prepared to play this game.

I’ll send everyone a PM today, to check who’s still around, and I’ll be reading through the last few IC posts today to try and remember exactly where we were.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:00 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, Raiko! I'm still ready to start when you are and looking forward to joining.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:09 pm
by trixie
No worries about the break, from my perspective at least. I'm still here when you're good to go again. Cheers

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
Am I allowed to read the threads on the main board, or should I wait until they're moved to the Locked Threads forum before reading them?

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:40 pm
by Raiko
I’d prefer you to avoid the other threads from now on, as potentially neither Jones nor Barrington will ever be truly allied with the existing investigators. A common enemy perhaps, but PC behaviour is often criminal. :)

There is also obviously the possibility that one or both of the cops are actually bad guys. I’ll going to create the OOC thread at least in the Scotland Yard forum now. Unfortunately Zielonobrody is now too busy to join us, but I’d still prefer a player character Barrington to an NPC one. Otherwise your thread will be a solo one, and I don’t like that much.

I’ve invited one player to take on the Barrington roll, if he turns it down then I’ll advertise the position.

One more bit of happy news:

Grafster will be rejoining the game. :)

Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:59 pm
by Raiko
Everyone has been in touch with me now, except Jtull (who was already missing anyway), and Coffee (who I wasn't really expecting to hear from). A couple of the players mentioned that they were busy at the moment, but they're still able to post. So only Andrei and Gwen are currently NPCs.

I'm still not sure who'll be playing Barrington, but that won't hold up the main threads.

I've encountered a couple of fresh problems this week, namely the death of my trusty scanner and the fun-police at work blocking every RPG related website that I can think of including this one.

I've resolved the dead scanner by purchasing the Masks PDF (and the new PDF version of BtMoM), I didn't use my old scanner for anything else anyway.

The forums being blocked at work is a pain, but I can still get the RSS feeds, write posts at lunchtime and email them home. I'll try to post here every evening, which will hopefully get me back into a routine of posting from home again. :)

So hopefully I'm still good to go.

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:48 am
by trixie
Ok, but sometimes it's nice to aim for every other day. I've become more relaxed in the every day posting. Am I lazy? Self admittedly so! But maybe I just have a lot of games to keep up with.

Anyways no worries if it turns out to be every other day....I'm pretty easy going. Or maybe it's Canadians in general. I'd like to think that, until I drive in rush hour traffic on the Port Mann again. LOL

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:24 pm
by Raiko
I'm still aiming to post everyday myself, although I'll allow each thread to progress at the pace the players set. Hopefully I'll keep everything in sync.

It's taking me a little while to get back into a routine with these games, but I'm very excited to be active on here again. I love both these campaigns, and I'll never get to play CoC as a tabletop RPG (not without disguising it as a different RPG anyway), as a few of my regular tabletop players dislike CoC too much.

Thanks for the PM Trixie, I'll NPC Nethaniel until DSIG gets back.

We now have a player for Barrington; he'll be run by Ghost_1971, who plays Callum McDonald in my BtMoM game and is also part of my tabletop RPG group.

Ghost doesn't have a lot of experience with CoC apart from the Mountains of Madness game, and doesn't own the rules, so it'll probably take a few days to sort out his character. I'll see him tonight though, so hopefully I'll be able to start off the Scotland Yard part of the game early next week. :)

Depending on how the parallel thread go with the Scotland Yard characters, there are a few similar things that I might try out later in the campaign, forum games give some really good options that aren't available in a tabletop game, and I'm keen to make this adventure as epic as possible for you all. :D (or should it be :twisted:)

I'm also hoping to knock together some nice floorplans, lots of important areas don't have plans in the book, and those that exist are pretty basic.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:18 am
by Mr. Handy
Cool beans! I'm looking forward to getting started.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:07 pm
by Raiko
Sorry, I messed up.
I've written the next set of posts at work, but forgot to email them home. :(
I think I should be able to post them when I arrive in work tomorrow by emailing the text home and then using my phone to make the actual posts. Otherwise it'll be 24 hours from now before I'm home again.

This won't happen again, I'll make sure I email all post text home immediately, rather than saving the document.

I the meantime I'll finally take a look at Mr Handy's character!

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:11 am
by Grafster
hey!

Glad to see everybody is up and talking about there gaming experiences.
For the present I'm going to focus on keeping Johnny posted/updated; don't mean to be anti-social but I've struggled before and I'm solidly in KISS territory right now.

Also very happy that we're gonna have people playing different actors in the story. That sort of pushing is, I think, where PbP really excels.

Looking forward to seeing this great game go forward!

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:37 pm
by Raiko
Hmm, I'm pretty sure my games are cursed - I get back into the swing of it and the forums go offline!

Anyway, Lee's got the board going again, so I'll get posting again - it'll probably be tomorrow as I need to remember what my next posts were going to be. :?

BTW: Please can anyone who wasn't in communication with me during the outage please PM me their email address. If anything every does go permanently wrong with this forum, then I do intend to continue the game somewhere, but I was worried that I might not be able to reach every player.

I've got contact details for Decrepit, and also for Imme (assuming you got my email when I resumed posting last month), and I was in touch with most of the rest of you. But I couldn't contact Laraqua or Jtull.

BTW: Laraqua I'm waiting on Maksim in the Soho thread.

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:24 pm
by Raiko
Sorry for the slow posting guys, I've been really, really busy at work
for a couple of weeks.

That job's finished now so I should be able to pick up the pace again
now.

I'm assuming that everyone knows the forums are back up now, but I'll
email anyone who's inactive for a couple of days after I resume posting.

Laraqua's been offline for ages, so I'll NPC Maks for the time being.

@Trixie: That means I'm counting on you to keep Timour and Maks
alive! :twisted:

@Mr Handy: Sorry to take so long getting the Scotland Yard stuff
going.

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:26 pm
by Mr. Handy
That's okay, I've been busy myself. I'm still here and ready to go when you are.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:54 am
by trixie
Oops just saw this sorry....yes I'll keep Timour going on his belly dancing....er.....information pursuits. LOL

Dsigfuss is sick as a dog...no posts from him til next week.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:58 am
by Raiko
Damn, I can't believe it how long it's took to resume this!

Sorry, I was all geared up to resume as soon as the forum reappeared,
and then a slightly busy schedule (no where near as bad as before
either) hits me and the weeks just start rolling past. :oops:

@Trixie: No worries, I wasn't waiting for you, the delay is
entirely my fault.

@Laraqua:
Good to have you back! :)

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:11 am
by Grafster
Looks like RSS got turned back on, will make it easier for me to know when stuffs up.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:15 pm
by Raiko
I'm still checking this thread everyday for new posts, but it's looking ominously dead now. :(

I know that Grafster is still active.
I know that Mr Handy is still keen to join, as is Ghost1971 (although I
keep forgetting to help him generate his character for Inspector
Barrington).

Trixie posts as long as I remind her.
DSIGFUSS was on his vacation the last I heard.

But what of the others?

Imme and Decrepit haven't logged into the forums since before the big outage. I've emailed them both, but to no avail.
Laraqua is much quieter on the forums in general these days, hopefully she'll continue with Maks if I prompt her.
Jtull's been online, but Gwen's on her own just at the moment anyway.

I really don't want this game to stop, but what does everyone want to do?

I'm sure that I can post most days now, so long as there's something to respond to, and I'd really like the game to gather pace again.

Please post here to let me know:
a) are you still interested in playing this game?
b) how often per week or day you think you can post?
c) what you think we should do?

I'm thinking that, as I'd hate to loose Imme and Decrepit, I'd rather wait a couple more weeks to see if they return, but I don't want to loose any more players. I can make use of the time to get Mr Handy and Ghost started, and to get my BtMoM game going again. :)

Trixie and Laraqua, I'd equally hate to loose you two playing the Rukovs, but you both seem really busy at the moment.

I'd estimate that I can post 4-5 times per week at the moment, and I'd have time to post in each of the necessary IC threads every time. I think that as the campaign is so long, it needs everybody posting at least 3 times per week to get anywhere.

I'm going to sent a PM to each player as well, to give the best chance of everyone knowing the game is active.

I actually love this campaign enough that I'm prepared to keep it going, even if only a couple of players remain - Welsh has reinvigorated his
Lure campaign a few times since he took it over, so I'm quite prepared to do the same thing if I need to, but I'd much rather keep the same
players if possible.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:27 pm
by Mr. Handy
I still want to play, of course. I can post every day (or two), though on weekdays I can usually only be online in the evenings (eastern U.S. time). I think we should definitely keep this game going.

DSIGFUSS is done his vacation, but from what he and Trixie have said he'll be up to his eyeballs in strawberries until September.

Retaining players is the main prolbem with long campaigns on play-by-post (well, that and retaining the Keeper). Zombie Apocalypse has been running since 2006 as well, and we have none of the original players still with the game - except for me, but I graduated to Keeper. Players will come and go, but the game can live on. We're wrapping up Chapter 4 right now, with Chapter 5 set to start in early September, along with the likely introduction of new players.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:35 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Ahem, I´m willing to put my two cents into the bowl and charge in as a player, if I´m still allowed to play. I was thinking of building up a campaign on Miscatonic Campus, but this takes precedence. The masks can´t come to a halt.
The scene is the green isles, still?
Give me some small directions and I´ll fill a pair of boots and set off up north, right? Or are the characters still roaming the streets of London?

That is if you will have me in multiple campaigns, Raiko.

/Dave

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:28 pm
by Grafster
still here.
still want to play.

Happy to give Imme and Decrepit a bit of time.
Can post a few times a week, and possibly daily.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:41 pm
by Grafster
To my thinking, nothing says "the game has restarted" like doing a bit of restarting.

IIRC, Johnny is at the docks, trying X near/onto the Y while Imme and Andrei are nearby with the car; maybe we could say "they drive around the block" while Johnny does a bit of snooping. That way if Imme gets back she can be back in the action.

Just a thought...

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:15 pm
by imme
Hey all. I'd like to continue the game, but am really busy now. This week I'm traveling for work and so may be MIA (and I was missing before that because of pre-trip work). I'm guessing I could post about every other day once I get back home, so count me (still) in. :)

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:24 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm willing to wait as long as needed before I start.

Welcome back, Imme! Laraqua was looking for you too, hoping to continue Ash, but she hasn't been around that frequently. I've also been taking care of Dr. Heather Kilgore in Reboot over on Dark and Moody. She's still nuts, but she's become quite the hero! Of course, she had to do everything herself. Nobody ever listens to the crazy person... :roll:

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:23 pm
by Raiko
I'll make some posts this weekend - just trying to grab a free hour sometime so that I can write them! :roll:

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:38 pm
by Raiko
I've heard from everyone now, except Decrepit - so I'm going to try to
post as many times as I can to get the game moving. I'll try to contact
Decrepit again, via email or IM.

I might need to NPC Caroline and Nethaniel until DSIG can post again, in
order to allow Jtull to post.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:54 pm
by Raiko
Syrinx wrote:Ahem, I´m willing to put my two cents into the bowl and charge in as a player, if I´m still allowed to play. I was thinking of building up a campaign on Miscatonic Campus, but this takes precedence. The masks can´t come to a halt.
The scene is the green isles, still?
Give me some small directions and I´ll fill a pair of boots and set off up north, right? Or are the characters still roaming the streets of London?

That is if you will have me in multiple campaigns, Raiko.

/Dave
I'll take you up on that actually. Thanks.

You can join Mr Handy in the Scotland Yard thread. :)

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:39 am
by Dave Syrinx
That´s settled! I´ll set up quarters in the capital of the world.

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:47 pm
by Raiko
I'm planning to kick things off again in the next day or two.

One or two players said they'd be busy until September, so I'm hopeful that there will be enough of us now to run every thread smoothly, without the need to recruit fresh players (other than our two intrepid detectives).

@DSIGFUSS: Thanks for the PMs - Don't worry, I won't let the game die. :)

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:56 pm
by Raiko
I've heard from Decrepit now. :)
He'll be back running Caroline which is great - especially for me, I
hate NPCing player characters.

I think that we've probably got everyone again now.
I'll try to post everyday in every thread, to get the game moving again.
If players are absent for more than a couple of days, I'll temporarily
NPC their character to keep things moving along.

From home tonight I'll PM anyone who hasn't posted yet (PMs are too
awkward from my phone).

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:59 am
by Grafster
Should I just post for Johnny without the map? I think I'll do that...

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:51 pm
by Raiko
I'll post a quick post from my BtMoM OOC Thread. As per that post, life at work is busy, busy, busy, but things are due to calm down for a long period.

Look for an update in about a week.

I should be kicking off both games again 1st November. :D
Raiko wrote:
Raiko wrote:Sorry, been crazy busy at work.

Will attempt to post again this weekend. :(

The good news is that things should be much quieter at work for me after the next week or so. I should have a more relaxed schedule for the next 18 months or so before the next major busy period kicks in.

Hopefully we can get this campaign done during that 18 months!
Quick update.

Things are still busy at work; the project is scheduled for delivery on Friday though, so I'm still confident that life is about to return to normal.

I shall post another update at the end of the week. I've not had time to think about my online games at all during this busy spell, so I'm going to aim to restart the game on November 1st. Then as promised I should have about 18 months before the next really-really busy period at work...

..plent of time to drive all your characters insane. :twisted:

This year has been a disaster for my online games, but I'm very much looking forward to resuming both games.

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:53 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, that's good to hear! I'll be here the first couple of days of November, but I'll be going on vacation from November 3-16 and almost certainly won't have Internet access. I'm leaving late on the 3rd, so I should be able to post on that day, but I'll be returning late on the 16th, so I won't be able to post again after I leave until the 17th. I'll be very busy in late November, but I should still be able to post.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:10 pm
by Grafster
Dull unchanging person that I am I am still here and still ready to play (though posting speed will be slow. Busy period right now...)

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:43 pm
by DSIGFUSS
I'm still here and ready to play my favorite British book worm

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:16 pm
by trixie
ho hum....still waiting.....

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:33 am
by Laraqua
While I may come and go, Masks being my first will be the game I play even if no other. Maksim is still my top fave pbp PC.

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:39 pm
by Raiko
Hi guys, sorry to be away for so long.

The completion date for the project that I was working on was actually
last Wednesday, rather than a week or two earlier as I'd originally
thought - I confused a deadline on for my own work with the project
completion date.

So unfortunately I had other tasks given to me after I'd finished my own
main job.

I've spent the last week catching up on some other stuff, and now I'm
psyching myself up to resume my three online campaigns.

I'll try to make some posts tonight to get the game moving again. Here's
the plan:

Despite one or two of your characters being in tricky situations, I'm
thinking of just posting a narrative to end each individual thread
(hopefully with some clues), and to get you all back together near to
the Penhew Foundation building - where you planned to rendezvous prior
to breaking in and/or trailing Edward Gavigan.

The reason that I'd like to do this is that my last couple of attempts
to restart the game stalled, so I'd rather get everyone together again.

As mentioned in my previous post, I should have a more relaxed schedule
at work for the next 18 months or so, so I should be able to post
regularly again now. The only problem is lack of internet access to the
forum from work, but hopefully I can use my phone to get around that! :)

@ Mr Handy & Syrinx: Sorry I'll probably still need a day or two to get
my head around starting the police thread. It WILL happen this time
though!

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:48 pm
by Mr. Handy
That's okay. I've been busy myself lately and was away for the last couple of weeks. Things will be slow for me, as I have a lot of catching up to do and I'm moving in December, but I should be able to keep up. I will be away this weekend without Internet access, but I plan to get back Sunday night and can post then.

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:49 pm
by Raiko
Wow, welcome back Decrepit! :D

It's great to have you back.

I've been busier than expected at work, even with the big project finished (so many things to catch up on), but I'll try my utmost to reread recent posts this weekend and get things moving again. :)

I'll post something by Monday evening, even if it's just more excuses... :oops:

Hopefully we can get the game moving along again by the end of the holiday period (I'm in a much better position to make New Years resolutions this time).

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:03 pm
by Decrepit
Haha. Nice to be wanted somewhere. 2009 has been just that kind of year. But consider me tanned, rested, and ready to go. Between now and 2010, Caroline and Nethaniel will be "hanging out" at the spice shop. Turns out Caroline sort of likes danger, if you know what I mean. She surprises even me sometimes.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:47 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Righty-O lad! Let's hop to it!

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:40 pm
by Raiko
Happy new year everyone - back at work tomorrow. Will try to kick off this game again. :)

Sorry the Christmas hols were too busy with the kids.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:06 am
by trixie
I hear ya! Get em all out of school and you actually expect to have down time?? Think again!

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:24 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Like you do anything at home when the kids are away Trixie!

Munch!!! Squish!! Click! Munch!! Crunch! Hrmmm! Click! Slurp! Munch! Click!

Oh what's that aweful sound?

That's just the sound of Trixie feverishly eating Bon Bons while she watches her "stories" on five different chananels. 6 If you count BBC. lol

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:30 pm
by DSIGFUSS
What is a bon bon anyways?

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:18 am
by trixie
As if! You're the one with the obnoxious book on the cd player in your car.....omg.....complete with sound effects! hahahah!!!!

Bon bons are dam good just for the record. :D

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:41 am
by Raiko
Sorry for the additional hold up, still figuring out how to get the show back on the road. :rolls:

It's tricky after such a long break. I think I'm about ready though. :S

@Mr Handy: I need to decide what to do about the "Scotand Yard" thread. Syrinx is dropping out to concentrate on his own games, and with the difficulties I've had running the game recently , I'm not so sure that I can handle an ambitious sub-game at the moment. Would you be happy to look after one of the existing characters for the moment? I'm pretty sure that we'll be a couple of players down, at least. And I could for a logical opportunity to introduce Jones as a player character at a later point (not too much later).
Bon bons are dam good just for the record. :D
Damn right they are!

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:53 am
by Mr. Handy
I couldn't really do justice to the existing characters. I've read very little of Chapter 1, and what I did read I've forgotten (it was over three years ago). I still want to play Jones, and I'm willing to wait as long as you need. I've waited this long, after all. Maybe you can find someone else to play Barrington at a later point. too.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:40 pm
by Raiko
Fair enough, I'll try to run the Scotland Yard thread if I can, to get you straight into the game. If I can't, then I'll bring in Jones ASAP.

I'm going to try posting in the IC threads tonight - even if it means not sleeping :lol:

I've scrapped the plan to immediately reunite everyone, as I was struggling to find time to write the long posts necessary!

Instead I'll kick off each IC thread again, see which PCs are active, and once some of the PC groups get back together, I'll quickly wrap up any remaining threads to get everyone surviving into the same place!

I think I just need to get into the habit of posting from home again, I can easily spare an hour or two a night if I just resist the XBOX! 8-)

That firewall at work is a real pain in ass though... :(

BTW: I emailed Imme today, but did it from work - forgetting that I'm not back there until Monday! Imme, if you're reading this please PM me, rather than replying to the email. :)

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:54 am
by Raiko
Posted now!

Trixie & Laraqua:
don't forget that the Rukov twins are active in a private thread: here

DSIG & Decrepit:
Sorry I'm actually waiting on you two now in that thread - Nethaniel has to decide what to do with the paperweight.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:10 am
by Raiko
BTW: I watched the first two parts of 24 (Day 8) on Sunday (it runs a week behind the US over here), and Jack Bauer was staying at the Hotel Chelsea!

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:12 am
by Raiko
BTW: I watched the first two parts of 24 (Day 8) on Sunday (it runs a week behind the US over here), and Jack Bauer was staying at the Hotel Chelsea!

I imagine his room is the very one where poor Jackson Elias was so brutally slain by the Cult of the Bloody Tongue!

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy
Sounds good to me. I know how hard it is to post when you have very little time. It's difficult for me to keep my own games moving. I don't have to worry about the Xbox - just the PS3. ;) I have just as much of a problem finding time to play that, however. I've got dozens of games I haven't even had time to start playing yet. Not to mention hundreds of PC games. And I can't post from work (it's technically possible, but not allowed).

Imme hasn't logged in since July, and she dropped off of Dark and Moody too. I hope she comes back. Now that Laraqua's returned, maybe she could also rejoin Ash. Several of our players haven't resumed posting again.

I've been watching 24 too. It's on Monday nights here, and I've seen the first five hours so far. I won't spoil it, but it just keeps getting better.

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:12 am
by Raiko
I've had an email reply from Imme now, she'll be joining back in in a couple of weeks. That gives me time to resolve the situation that Johnny is in before needing any posts for Elizabeth. Grafster should be back within a day or two. I'll NPC Elizabeth & Andrei for now if necessary.

Laraqua & DSIGFUSS: I'll wait another day for Trixie to post (and in the hope that Decrepit returns), before posting in your threads - hopefully I'll have your split group back together within a few posts. :)

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:39 am
by Raiko
@DSIGFUSS: Need a roll for Nethaniel (see the Spice Shop thread).

Once that's done, we shall continue.

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:11 am
by Raiko
Sorry I wanted to post yesterday, but I was feeling a bit poorly. :(

Better again now, and I'll be able to post again tomorrow if anyone's waiting on me.

At the moment we have these players who've posted:

DSIGFUSS: Nethaniel
Laraqua: Maks
Grafster: Johnny

Trixie's been offline for a couple of weeks, but I'm assuming that she'll still be playing Timour when she's back.
Imme said she'd be back online in a couple of weeks.
Mr Handy is waiting patiently to join the game with DS Jones.

If no-one else returns :cry: we'll see how the game goes with six players.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:25 pm
by trixie
I'm still here....but not checking regularly. Everything is moving so slowly at the moment that checking in daily seems pointless. :(

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:47 am
by Raiko
:shock: I'm trying my best! :lol:

Seriously though, no probs, things are still fairly slow. I'm hoping that everything will speed up once I get as many PCs in one place as I can.

For now I've posted again in each thread, and I'm definitely needing a post from you or Laraqua in the private thread.

BTW: How's the Olympics? Any of you Vancouvians taking an interest?

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:19 pm
by Raiko
Sadly Imme had just let me know that she won’t be able to rejoin the game after all. :(

She wishes us all the best, but on reflection is too busy in real-life to find time to play. Unfortunately Elizabeth is quite central to the story – given her friendship to Jackson Elias and the fact that Johnny basically works for her! So she can’t be written out as easily as someone else, Andrei for example, could. I’m reluctant to recruit a replacement player for her, as Imme did such a wonderful job.

Goodbye Imme, you will be missed.

I’ve had a think about things, and decided to take drastic & immediate action to remove the following characters from the game:
  • Elizabeth
  • Andrei
  • Gwen (Gwen was going anyway)
Caroline may also be going at the earliest opportunity, she’s currently wearing the Lovecraftian equivalent of a red jersey. I’ve not received any replies from Decrepit and I now assume that I never will. I’m undecided whether to get rid of her, NPC her or

Elizabeth (and Andrei) will be removed in such a way that it will hopefully be logical for Johnny to stick around

I’ll be bringing Sgt Jones into the mix ASAP.

Laraqua and Trixie both seem busy, only logging on occasionally, so I shall look after the Rukovs for the time being as both playes want to carry on playing.

This will leave us with Maks, Timour, Nethaniel, Johnny and Jones, plus maybe Caroline.

I’m not sure what to do about recruiting. What do you all think? I’m tempted to just continue so long as we have at least four active PCs, but I liked having a mix of male and female investigators.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy
I was away at a convention for a few days, but I'm back now and ready. Well, ready-ish. I'm still catching up on things, so there's no rush. Of course, maybe I'll get snowed in again later this week and have plenty of time.

I wouldn't mind adding new players, but I'm fine with continuing with just the players we still have. It's always good to have both male and female investigators (regardless of the gender of the players). I play a more or less even mix, and often I play the sole female investigator in a game.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:50 am
by Raiko
Just heard from Decrepit. :D

He's been very busy, but hopes he'll be able to rejoin in the next couple of weeks.
So I'll try to keep Caroline alive & sane for a bit longer. :twisted:

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:48 pm
by Raiko
I’m really sorry, I’ve started writing new posts three times over the last couple of days, but been sidetracked each time.

I’ll be updating each thread tonight.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:19 am
by Raiko
Raiko wrote:I’m really sorry, I’ve started writing new posts three times over the last couple of days, but been sidetracked each time.

I’ll be updating each thread tonight.
Obviously that didn't work out.

I'm back online now, but spent the weekend planning and posting in BtMoM to get that back up and running.

I'll be posting here again tomorrow. It looks like we'll have to continue for the time being without Laraqua & Trixie as they're hardly ever online any more. :(

Better news is that I'll definitely be able to add Mr Handy's character Detective Sergeant Jones to the action tomorrow. :)

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Jolly good! :)

I'll be pretty busy tomorrow, so I'm not certain how much I'll be able to post Tuesday night (Eastern U.S. time), but I should be able to get something in.

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:23 am
by Raiko
Grafster, DSIGFUSS & Mr Handy: I'm most terribly sorry about the delay, I'm afraid that I got a bit disheartened by the players who I thought would return, but didn't. :cry:

The Rukovs are in a rather precarious position at the moment, and so I particularly didn't want to NPC them, and I'd really rather not wipe out a total of 5-6 characters that I've grown to love, just to tidy the game up.

I've therefore reluctantly decided to advertise for new players, to replace at least one or two of those who are absent. This is going to cause a little extra delay, but will hopefully rejuvenate the game (and the Keeper!). You three have been very good to me since my return, especially Mr Handy who's still waiting to actually join in, and you all deserve my full enthusiasm.

I'll also be PMing Trixie and Laraqua one last time, but I need at least a couple of posts a week from each of them to keep the story moving.

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy
Don't worry about it, I'm very busy during the week anyway. I'll have more time to post on weekends.

Trixie has been posting in other games lately, but Laraqua hasn't logged on since February 21. She's been absent from Zombie Apocalypse for even longer than that.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:20 pm
by Raiko
Sorry I've been a bit ill and haven't been online. Will resume ASAP.

There's quite a lot of interest in the recruitment thread, so I should be able to fill out the unused characters again.

Trixie's back. :D
Doesn't really look like Laraqua will be though. :(

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:01 pm
by trixie
Yes looking forward to regular posting, but its always best when getting back into it, to post regularly so that we all check regularly. Otherwise we fall into the trap again of not checking, putting it off, posting we can't post.....LOL Its a vicious cycle!

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:02 pm
by trixie
PS get better Raiko!

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:16 am
by Laraqua
Well, I'm back if Maks is still alive.

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:39 am
by Raiko
Hey Laraqua great to see you back.

I'll try to be back myself! :)

How's things?

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:17 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, both of you! :D

I'm ready to join in any time you're ready. Well, unless you're ready between July 29 and August 9, as I'll be on vacation in Vancouver and probably without Internet access. But any time after that is fine by me.

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:36 am
by Laraqua
Things've been good. Got a job, got engaged, and got into a bigger house!

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy
Congratulations! 8-) I moved too at the end of last year, from a horrible apartment where they don't do maintenance into a nice big co-op unit (similar to a condo, but owned and run cooperatively - each resident owns a share that entitles you to live in your unit) where they do. The movers shafted me and left me stranded for an extra day, then came earlier than they had told me they would the following day and woke me up.

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:49 am
by Raiko
Laraqua wrote:Things've been good. Got a job, got engaged, and got into a bigger house!
That's great :) congratulations!

I've had a crappy few weeks since my previous post :( but I will resume this game, I promise. :)

It's my favorite of all RPG campaigns, so I will finish it LOL

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:00 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Ok! I'm up and at-em! Just send me a pm when you are ready!

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:33 pm
by Raiko
I'm not sure if any of you are still reading this thread, but I'm back on the forums again and I'd very much like to try and resurrect this long neglected game. I know that Mr Handy is still interested in joining in, but I'd like to gauge interest from any of the existing players before deciding what to do.

My own real life situation has now settled down, and I'm working on a project with very good long term job security. I'll be mostly restricted to evening posts, but I can post at least 3 or 4 evenings a week, possibly every day. I just need to give my wife time to satisfy her Bejewelled Blitz habit! ;)

Here's my thoughts about how to go about restarting this game, quoted from a post I've made in the "new players" forum:

Raiko wrote:Masks is set in 1925, it's one of the classic old-school Cthulhu campaigns and as such is extremely deadly. We had a fantastic start and a lot of love went into the game from all the players, but things eventually ground to a halt due to real life getting in the way of me and the players. I really want to get that game going again and I'm looking at two options:
  1. Contact all the original players, and find out who'd be interested in kicking it off again. Recruit one or two extra players to fill the gaps, possibly with brand new characters - this would include Mr.Handy's Scotland Yard detective.
  2. Assume that the game's current situation - in which all the characters are in deadly danger - ends badly. Resume that campaign one game month later, with Mr Handy's cop character taking the lead.
  3. Some mixture of the above, depending on how many of the old characters I can get back.
I'm going for option (1) first, so if any of you are still around and interested then please post here, it'll save me a little time contacting everyone. I think I can contact every player from the past through either email, PM, MSN or Facebook, so I'll see where things stand after that. :)

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:44 pm
by Dave Syrinx
I´ll be up for continuing playing John Rhyes even if I dropped out shortly before the hiatus ;) .

/Dave

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy
I think John Rhyes is your BtMoM character, Dave. You were originally going to play Detective Inspector Barrington in this game, and I hope you'll be on board for that again.

I agree with option 1. It would be a shame to just throw away such great characters. If their current situation turns into a TPK, option 2 is a good way to continue the game, but I hope there are at least some survivors, and the characters should at least have a chance to get out of whatever mess they're in.

We can probably get DSIGFUSS and Trixie back, as they're somewhat active on the board. Laraqua has been missing for almost six months. She has disappeared for months at a time before and has always returned, but she's never been gone for quite this long before. Still, the Yithian who has swapped minds with her has to trade back sooner or later. Decrepit last logged in last November, but Grafster has been gone since February 2010. It sounds like Imme is gone for good, but it may be worth reaching out to her. Coffee Demon last logged on in December, and Jtull_84 has been gone since November 2009.

I'll usually only be able to post in the evenings as well, at least during the week, but that's Eastern U.S. time, so it'll be late night/early morning in the UK. I can post throughout the day on weekends and on days when I'm off from work, however.

In my game The Terror Out of Time, which is set in 1930 London, I made a number of references to Masks based on what little I know of it. One of the NPCs is a Detective Inspector Jones, who may or may not be the same person as the Detective Sergeant Jones I'll be playing. If he survives and doesn't become a raving nutter, he's bound to get promoted in the intervening five years. And if not, Jones is a common enough surname.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:46 am
by Dave Syrinx
Aah. uh...OH! Yes... Must be the BTMOM logo Gary uses :D Kind of makes me go to 1933 not 1925. My bad, and I´m glad to take the coat on for Barrington, once more. We were in the coffee room of the Scotland Yard, yes?

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, in the IC chat thread you set up in Scotland Yard. We haven't formally been placed into the game in a Keeper-created IC thread yet.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:59 am
by Dave Syrinx
Ah, that´s right. As for the last couple of posts in the Scotland Yard thread we are holding for an update on what SY knows about the situation. Barrington and Jones are currently discussing leads.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:07 pm
by Raiko
You're both welcome to reprise your roles, just don't post anything yet. As I mentioned in my previous post, it very much depends on how many of the original players want to rejoin us whether the timeline remains the same, or jumps ahead a month.

If the time is moved on by a month, then Scotland Yard's Egyptian Murders investigation will be closed. Jones and Barrington will still be central characters to the storyline though. :)

*EDIT* @Dave: You are most welcome to rejoin BtMoM with John. I don't think the game moved on in your absence anyway! Again I'm checking up on which other players are interested in rejoining before deciding how (or if) to proceed. In the case of BtMoM though, it's actually in a good place to renew with entirely fresh players if necessary - although I'd much prefer to have only existing players.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:00 pm
by Raiko
Just so you all konw, I'm still here and still planning to resurrect this campaign (and glad to see that Laraqua is back again!).

I'm currently looking into the best way to contact each of the existing/ex players, to get a feel of which is the best way to proceed. I didn't want to kick the game into action again before I was ready to post regularly again. I've been lurking on the forums most days since my last posts though, so I'm confident that I'll be able to post fairly regularly (at least once every day or two). :)

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm looking forward to getting started, and I'm ready when you are! :D

If you want to reach the other players, the best way is probably email. As a global mod, if you bring up a user's profile while logged in, you can get a link to directly send that user an email. You could try PMs, but not everyone's account is sent to notify them by email when they get a new PM. Laraqua's back now, so it looks like you'll have no problem reaching her. DSIGFUSS hasn't logged in here for over a month, but he's fairly active on Dark and Moody. Trixie has been away for over three months, but DSIGFUSS knows her in RL and can reach her if you can't. Coffee demon has been gone for nearly nine months, Decrepit for over ten, and Grafster for seven. jtull_84 has been gone for almost two years, and imme for even longer than that. She's probably gone for good, as she left Dark and Moody a long time ago too, but it can't hurt to reach out to her. Maybe things have changed.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:54 pm
by Raiko
Yeah I'm mostly planning to use email, I've also got some more up to date email addresses for some of the players, or I know how to reach them via IM, etc. I've been in touch with some of them much more recently than their last login.

I've started sending out messages today, and I should get them out to everyone by the end of the weekend. Hopefully everyone will at least reply, even if they're not interested in rejoining us. :)

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:03 pm
by Mr. Handy
Great! I have a four day weekend coming up (starting Wednesday night), followed by a three day weekend, which should give me a decent amount of time.

By the way, if you're interested in joining Zombie Apocalypse, Chapter 7 is just getting started. A whole bunch of new characters are up for grabs, and we're down to six players after a few have dropped out at the end of Chapter 6, so we could use some fresh brains. If you want to get in on my second Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu mashup, The Ninth Planet, that's in its early stages too, and one of the players was a no-show. Space Oddity can always use more players too. Right now it's down to three.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:34 pm
by Raiko
Well I've always been interested in joining in Zombie Apocalypse, I almost joined in Chapter 1 back when John was running it on the other forums. How much stuff would I need to read in order to have the knowledge of the Apocalypse that my character has?

I love Doctor Who (new and old), indeed I'm about to watch the latest episode now, but I'm not sure that I'd manage to join two games without risking letting you down, plus I want to make sure that I really do get Masks running again this time.

So out of the two games I'd prefer to join ZA. 8-)

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:37 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome aboard, then! You wouldn't need any prior knowledge to join Zombie Apocalypse, provided that you choose only characters newly added in Chapter 7 (or create them yourself). Chapter 7 actually marks the start of the second day of the apocalypse, and I can summarize the first day's events when I send you your characters' secrets. There are seven new playable pregenerated characters in the Sword section, plus one new one in the Omaha section. You can also create up to two of your own characters, one in Gold and one in Omaha. You can find the pregens in the Character Sheets thread in the Chapter 7 subforum, and the instructions for creating your own characters can be found in the next to last post of the Rules and Guidelines thread in the main Zombie Apocalypse forum. You can choose pregens and build your characters by posting in the Character Selection, Creation, and Discussion thread of the main forum. The maximum number of characters you can play at a time is four and the recommended number is three, but there's nothing wrong with choosing just one or two.

I've only started some of the threads off in Chapter 7, and I plan to put up the rest this weekend, so you haven't really missed anything.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:39 pm
by Raiko
Quick update, I've now made at least one attempt to contact every player who has ever participated in this game except for Warhammer.

I've had a few replies, and I'll wait for a week or so before making any decision about how to restart.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:52 pm
by Dave Syrinx
I´ll pick up that baton and get in character at the New Scotland Yard. At any point in the future.
Cheers!

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:42 pm
by Decrepit
SIR, present and accounted for, SIR!

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:44 pm
by Raiko
Another quick update from me. It now looks good that I'll be able to restart this game using just the two of you, plus some or all of the old players, and that the game will continue from where it left off.

I'll be resuming the game either this weekend or next weekend, depending on whether or not I hear from the remaining players this week.

At this stage it's unlikely that I'll be recruiting anyone else.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:47 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Sounds good.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:05 am
by Decrepit
The weird thing is, I was just thinking about my old Masks character this morning, wondering how she was. Weiiiiird.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy
Woohoo! :D Welcome back! I'm glad the good doctor will be joining us. I hope we'll see more familiar faces returning.

I'll be ready to start when you are. This particular weekend coming up is a three day weekend for me, so if we do start then I'd have more time to get rolling. I have a couple of conventions coming up in November that will take up two weekends, but I'll also have two more extended weekends interspersed with them then.

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:11 am
by coffee demon
WAZZZZZUP!

Andrei is depressed and paranoid and ready to roll.

It'll take me a while to get used to checking into this forum. It'll really help if we have people posting regularly again.

Looking forward to it!

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:45 pm
by Raiko
Welcome back Coffee Demon and Decrepit! :)

I'm really looking forward to getting the game going again.

I will have some stuff posted this weekend to summarise where we were up to, and I'll kick off the IC threads again as long as I know whether or not Grafster is joining in - I'm in touch with him, just waiting for a reply to my last message.

As things stand I know that I can currently keep an eye out for posts more or less around the clock, and can quickly make short posts. Longer posts I can only really make in the evenings, but I should be able to make them any evening except sometimes Wednesdays.

Although I'll be restarting the game at weekend, I won't always be able to make posts at weekend - I will make sure I keep an eye on the forum to read new posts though.

I don't expect daily posts from everyone (though you're welcome to post as often as you like), I'm kind of hoping for 3+ IC posts per player per week if possible though, and for you all to try and make sure that you aren't holding the game up. :)

When the game first started, in the New York chapter I was regularly setting deadlines to finish planning, etc and move on, but I think I lost that as the game move along and my own pace slowed. I'm determined to keep things moving at a decent pace again this time. I'm hoping that we can finish the game. :)

Now I'm off to read though the most recent events again, and to get ready for this weekend's posts. :)

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:53 pm
by coffee demon
This was the most enjoyable play-by-forum game I played in, and I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

It would be fantastic to have Grafster return. He was an integral part of the game. Probably the only one who knew what the hell was going on. :)

Decrepit, what was the name of your character again? She was a friend of Elizabeth's, right?

*Edit: Caroline! I remember now! She was a nurse / doctor. I think she was getting hot with one of the Russian brothers, right? Or flirty, at least?

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, Coffee Demon!

Caroline Ward is a doctor. I got the impression back when I was a lurker that she actually married one of the Rukovs on the ship to London, though I've only read the beginning of the New York chapter and the early parts of the London chapter, and that's been years.

Looks like we're getting the band back together! 8-) I know DSIGFUSS has been very active lately on Dark and Moody, so hopefully he'll be able to return and bring Trixie with him.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:47 am
by Raiko
Yes, DSIGFUSS & Trixie are both coming back. :)

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:05 am
by coffee demon
If either of those two don't come back, I'll kick their asses next time I see them. (DSIG has been a close friend for about 25 years now, and I've known Trixie for quite a while too.)

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:41 pm
by imme
The door slowly creaks open. The next flash of lightning illuminates a lone figure shuffling into the room ... yawning and rubbing her eyes.

Hey guys, I'm back. Did I miss anything? ;)

Glad to give this game another shot and to "see" you all again. Hopefully I can remember what was going on.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:32 pm
by coffee demon
Good to see you, Imme! Weird, it's like an online reunion. This is not something I've experienced before.

By the way, Raiko, I left this game and all the others because they were slowing down and because I had a lot of other things going on in my life. It was nothing personal. Glad to be back!

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:35 pm
by Dave Syrinx
I guess I should say: Hi! I joined the forum when you guys were in the fray of investigating a library. That´s when I joined Raiko´s other game, BTMOM.
Me and Mr. Handy started to set up a Scotland Yard section. Then the game cracked from end to end.
Added some posts since then and hopefully I can characterize Barrington in a good way.

Pleased to meet you guys!

/Dave

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:13 pm
by DSIGFUSS
HA Ha!

Total reunion here.

Coffee Demon back on Yog? Say it ain't so man! That's wicked!

And imme.. Good to hear from you too! haven't played much with you since the "Kings of Chicago days with Eddie"

Nice to see yah doll face!

Totally looking forward to rock my stuffy Brit again.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:59 am
by Raiko
Welcome back Imme & DSIGFUSS!
By the way, Raiko, I left this game and all the others because they were slowing down and because I had a lot of other things going on in my life. It was nothing personal. Glad to be back!
Don't worry, I never thought it was personal. I'm really glad you're all back. And I understand busy, I've not exactly been a regular on here over the last couple of years myself. I'm determined to never let this game slow down that much ever again though.

I've waited until I knew I'd be able to post regularly before contacting you all, and it's also so much easier to keep on eye on the forum around the clock using a mobile phone these days that I've no excuse.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Grafster to my last message, but I'll start posting over the weekend anyway; Johnny was all alone when we left off (as usual), and I can cover what's been happening to Elizabeth and Andrei while I wait to see if he's joining in. :)

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back Imme and DSIGFUSS!

I wasn't in King of Chicago, but i remember both of you from Ash. Laraqua wants to start up that game again too. We're getting close to the conclusion there.

I've also taken over Dr. Heather Kilgore in Reboot over on Dark and Moody before Imp had her meet an untimely end. She's actually slightly less insane than she was when I picked her up (got a Sanity bonus for reaching 90% in Medicine).

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:15 am
by coffee demon
I should really finish off the last 2-3 posts of King of Chicago...

DSIGFUSS and basketvector (Max and Eddie) and I started a sequel KoC, using Google Wave. It's slowed down over the summer... I'd like to get it going again.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:23 pm
by imme
Yeah, this is like a reunion. Good memories of fun times :) King of Chicago, Ash, Reboot ... ah, the nostalgia of death and insanity. I'm glad you took over Kilgore, Mr. Handy, and way to battle through the crazy! Ash sure was creeeeepy. And Coffee, yes, you should finish off King of Chicago! So close to the end.

Argh, my life is busy, but I told Raiko I'd be happy to give Masks another try. Now I'm remembering how easy it is to "just add one more game"

I'm looking forward to meeting the Scotland Yard (just please don't arrest us!)

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:39 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Let´s see where the evidence takes us. I´m sure it will be fun!

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:49 pm
by Mr. Handy
coffee demon wrote:I should really finish off the last 2-3 posts of King of Chicago...

DSIGFUSS and basketvector (Max and Eddie) and I started a sequel KoC, using Google Wave. It's slowed down over the summer... I'd like to get it going again.
I can retrieve King of Chicago from the Graveyard if you like, or Raiko can. Does it go in Classic Era or Pulp?

I had started reading it once, years ago, but it's very long and I didn't have time.
imme wrote:Yeah, this is like a reunion. Good memories of fun times :) King of Chicago, Ash, Reboot ... ah, the nostalgia of death and insanity. I'm glad you took over Kilgore, Mr. Handy, and way to battle through the crazy! Ash sure was creeeeepy. And Coffee, yes, you should finish off King of Chicago! So close to the end.

Argh, my life is busy, but I told Raiko I'd be happy to give Masks another try. Now I'm remembering how easy it is to "just add one more game"

I'm looking forward to meeting the Scotland Yard (just please don't arrest us!)
Ash is still creepy. I'm amazed we've all managed to survive through Chapter Two and the start of Chapter Three. Sarah has had some really awesome moments, and she's broken out of her insanity death spiral and is now saner than when she started. She has her hands full trying to comfort everyone else, though. And little Dahlia is quite the hero too!

Reboot just keeps getting stranger and stranger, but it's a lot of fun. We're not too far away from the end of that game, either.

Looking forward to meeting you in Masks as well! If you don't want to get arrested, don't break the law. Or, at least don't let us catch you breaking the law. ;)

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:46 am
by Raiko
I'm rereading stuff tonight. Should be starting posting again tomorrow.

The first couple of posts will be refresher summaries plus some info for Mr Handy & Syrinx about what the cops were up to when they were my NPCs.

Then I'll make some IC posts, if I don't get time for those tomorrow then they'll be made on Monday; I'll definitely have the game back up and running in the next day or two, it won't be next weekend. :)

I'm enjoying the reunion BTW.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:06 am
by Decrepit
coffee demon wrote:Decrepit, what was the name of your character again? She was a friend of Elizabeth's, right?

*Edit: Caroline! I remember now! She was a nurse / doctor. I think she was getting hot with one of the Russian brothers, right? Or flirty, at least?
Yep, that's right--doctor, friend of Elizabeth, in some sort of Hollywood-romance-type relationship with Maks, secret agent of ... ;)

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:38 am
by Raiko
Hi everyone. I've only just finished rereading everything that's happened since the attack of the fog-creature, boy there's a lotta posts in this game! :LOL: :oops:

There's a few things that I'd forgotten & I didn't realise that the last time all of your characters were together was in 2008!

I'm knocking together some summaries now and planning the first IC posts, I need to try to resolve your current predicaments quickly and get you back together - you had planned to meetup near the Penhew Foundation at midnight.

I've sent Grafster a message to see if he's decided whether he's joining us again or not. Hopefully he'll let me know before before I get the IC posts up.

Those posts should be up tommorrow. :)

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:09 am
by Raiko
Oh BTW, it's probably worth mentioning Mr Handy & Syrinx I'll be bringing your characters straight into the game, you won't have to wait longer than the others. :)

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy
Awesome! :) The game is afoot. Or it will be soon, at least.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:37 pm
by Decrepit
Raiko wrote:There's a few things that I'd forgotten & I didn't realise that the last time all of your characters were together was in 2008!
:lol:

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:51 am
by Raiko
MASKS IS BACK! :)

A quick synopsis is in the OOC Thread

Maksim, Timour, Nathaniel and Caroline are currently appearing in the Spice Shop Thread, as is Gwen if Jtull gets back really quickly!

Johnny, Andrei and Elizabeth are appearing in the Limehouse Thread

The cops will make their appearance as soon as I've had a post from the other investigators.

Grafster will be joining us later in the week. :) I need Imme and Decrepit to make a post or two before Graster anyway, so that doesn't slow us down.

I apologise for the hundreds of typos that I'd imagine have got into my posts, and for the Chaotic synopsis. I'll be in less of a rush in future, so there should be less typos and I'll get to work sorting out some proper synopsis threads. By the time you've all hopefully gotten out of your current predicaments I plan to at least have some decent summaries of events from London.

If you need any more details before you post then please let me know. :) I'll post again as soon as you need me to. I'll allow you a couple of days to all post.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:53 am
by Raiko
Oh and it's now 1:52am, so I'm off to bed. :)

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:25 am
by imme
Yay! And I'm glad Grafster's coming back, too. Elizabeth depends on Johnny to save the day :)

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:38 am
by Raiko
Yeah things wouldn't be the same without Johnny's level head. :)

Just waiting the last couple of posts now before I move the action along.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:49 am
by coffee demon
Hey guys, does anyone know a place I could sell a couple CoC game books? I have the Masks hardcover, and Tatters of the King. Haven't even opened either of them. If anyone's interested, or knows a good place to sell 'em, send me a PM.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:52 pm
by Raiko
coffee demon wrote:Hey guys, does anyone know a place I could sell a couple CoC game books? I have the Masks hardcover, and Tatters of the King. Haven't even opened either of them. If anyone's interested, or knows a good place to sell 'em, send me a PM.
I'm fairly sure that there is a forum on Yog-sothoth.com for buying and selling CoC stuff. The best way to sell rare items seems to be to make a post on there linking to an eBay item.

By the way, I once owned Horror on the Orient Express, never actually read it, and threw it away in a big tidy up when I moved house! :eek:

Now I'd like it again and it goes for hundreds on eBay! Please publish a pdf Chaosium! (and pay the author)

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:11 pm
by Decrepit
Could someone remind me how, on the board, to add a text label to a URL or to a spoiler? I've tried

[url=text]

and

[url="text"]

to no avail.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:18 pm
by Raiko
Like this

Code: Select all

[url=www.callofcthulhu.org.uk]text[/url]
text

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:36 pm
by Decrepit
Got it. Thanks.

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:58 am
by Laraqua
Wow, we're really getting some steam into this game. Good job everyone! Maks is my fave CoC character and I have been missing you all! Hail hail the gang's all here! Just a shame that we don't have thewhatchamacallit back, but Trixie's doing a good job.

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 am
by Raiko
Laraqua wrote:Wow, we're really getting some steam into this game. Good job everyone! Maks is my fave CoC character and I have been missing you all! Hail hail the gang's all here!

I'm so glad that you all wanted to return. :)

I really missed this game, but after a couple of false starts trying to get going again, I waited until I was absolutely certain that I'd be ok to post regularly myself.
Laraqua wrote:Just a shame that we don't have thewhatchamacallit back, but Trixie's doing a good job.
I actually tried to contact both of them. I thought that if they both wanted to return then we'd be able to work something out, I'd just have to squeeze another character in. They're both great players.

thewhatchamacallit didn't reply, but he may not have received my message (I used Facebook, but don't know that he even checks his account), I didn't try too hard to get in touch because Trixie replied immediately. If she's going to be offline for a while, then I could try a little harder to make contact with thewhatchamacallit (I'm certain that I've now found a better way to get in touch with him).

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:00 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm glad to finally be part of this game too! :) I actually joined the board just a few days after it started. If I'd been a little earlier, I might have joined then. I had tried to keep up with reading along with it during the early days, but it moved so fast back then I'm not sure if I would have been able to manage playing at the time.