Tue Sept 5 - Dex

New York City, 1933.

A man is missing and the girl wants him found. What more do you need to know?

This game will be run using the Trail of Cthulhu (copyright (c)2009 Pelgrane Press).

Moderator: Gaffer

Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Tue Sept 5 - Dex

Post by Gaffer »

A brand new day.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Tue Sept 5 - Dex

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex will get up, shower and shave, take a look at his arm, and make sure it appears to be healing properly. If everything is okay, he'll get dressed, head down to the neighborhood dinner, and fortify himself for a day of work.
Dex will head out with a leather covered notebook, a couple of pencils, a fountain pen, and his trusty revolver and shoulder holster.
If possible, he will drive himself to Fordham up in the Bronx, but if not, he will take the subway to the Rose Hill stop (in those days, I think it was still the 5 express or 6 local train letting out near the Bronx zoo).

He'll find a parking spot on campus, and head past many of the neo-gothic buildings towards the chapel for a quick morning prayer. Then off to the history department and later the anthropology department to check in on some of the old professors who could help with his inquiry.

(BTW, I did do a semester of my MA work at Fordham back in the late 1980s, and the campus was always an intriguing place late at night.)
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

The arm seems to be healing okay - no swelling, no bad smell (but remember, the doc said you should get those rabies shots). Even so, driving mostly one-handed is a bit of a challenge.

[ooc - What kind of professors do you want to see and in what order?]
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex will meet with the following professors:

Dr. Armand Lavoie, Department of History, Medieval History, concentrating on the Crusades,
Author of two books: A History of the Levant during the Crusades, and Eastern Heresies and the Crusades, 1099-1247

Dex will renew is old friendship with Dr. Lavoie, discussing what he might know of the cults and heresies that were dealt with by the Crusaders.

Dr. Philip Richardson, Department of Anthropology, concentrating on Middle Eastern studies
A Cultural History of the Tribal Peoples of the Arabian Peninsula

Dex will speak with Dr. Richardson and show him the book with the picture of the necklace and whatever he knows about the cult from his readings, to see if he can increase his base of knowledge.

Dr. Karl von Gruber, Department of Classics, concentrating on Greek and Roman settlements in the Near East
Author of Rome's Imperial Eastern Frontier from Trajan to Constantine, and Parthians, Scythians and Rome: The Turbulent Eastern Frontier in the Late Empire, 181-450 AD

Based on what Dex learns from Dr. Richardson, he will continue with Dr. von Gruber and see what else he can provide from a more western prospective on the cult like activities of the region.

If none of those professors can provide any help, then he will ask them if they know anything or anyone that can help.

In the late afternoon, he will stop by Roosevelt Hospital for the first of what promises to be a number (13 I believe) very painful rabies shots directly to the abdomen.

(As a medical historian, I know that is going to suck big time...)
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Dr. Lavoie explains that the most troublesome sect or cult at the time of the great crusades were the Nizari, sometimes called the Hashshashins, under the leadership of Rashid ad-Din Sinan, also known as Shaykh al Jabal or the Old Man of the Mountain, based in Masyaf and controlling various districts in northern Syria. The Nizari defied both the Christian invaders and Saladin who ruled over Egypt and Syria. He goes on at some length. When asked directly about the Yezidi, he explains that they are somewhat outside his specialty, being based in Northern Mesopotamia. He advises that Dex talk to Philip Richardson.

Dr. Richardson says that Peter Thwaite would be the best one to speak with, since his area is northern turkey and what has now become Iraq; but he's on sabbatical in Istanbul at present. He knows a bit about the so-called 'Yezidi Devil worshippers' of Iraq. They originally came from Southern Iraq and migrated north to Mount Lalish. It is supposed by many that they are descendants of the Assyrians who sought refuge after the fall of Nineveh in the 7th century B.C.

Their original home was Eridu or Irem, an ancient city in Southern Iraq, also known as “Enkidu” and called Father Satan's city. The valley of Baten El Ghoul which is right over the buried ancient city is now known as "The Devil's Hole" and "Belly of the Beast." The Jordanians and many others consider it to be haunted. Demons have been seen by many who have spent the night there. Those who have been there for any length of time claim it has a powerful energy which people label as "evil." There are also stories about passages being opened to other realms full of demons and monsters, fairly standard stuff, really.

Of course all this is just superstition, the way ignorant people explain things they don't understand and demonize outsiders. Dr. Richardson seems to recall that there was some fuss here in New York about supposed 'child stealers' and 'devil worshippers' down in Brooklyn. He had just become a faculty member at that time, but he remembers that Thwaite was consulted by the police, in particular a detective named Maloney, if he remembers correctly.

The necklace is typical of artisanry from the northern Middle East. Moon imagery is common in that region, as in most parts of the world.

The rabies shot is quite painful, but Dex takes it like a man.
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex will thank the professors, and offer any follow up questions. He'll also take some notes from the professors in his trusty notebook, and make sure he can still head to the main branch of the NY Public Library on 5th Ave to try and see if he can track down any primers. He'll ask Dr. Lavoie for a book that might give him a primer on the Nizari or Hashshashins as a start, since he remembers enough about the Crusades to not need a refresher on them. He does ask if the Hashshashins are the Assassins of ancient lore, since the name and the reference of the Old Man of the Mountain rings a bell...

For Dr. Richardson, Dex will ask how long Dr. Thwaite has been in Istanbul and when he might be back. He'll ask for any primer about Irem, Yezidi, and information about the Baten el Ghoul. His fairly standard stuff is something that sticks out from Dex's own investigations, readings and the mention by the others of portals/passages that open to other realms.

When he gets to the but about the Yezidi-NYC connection, he'll ask if he knew what happened with the case. The part about Thwaite being consulted by a detective named Maloney (Mahoney?) he'll have to bring up later on when they all get together.

Dex will thank both of the gentlemen, leave them his card, and ask if they remember anything else to give them a call. He will tell each of them he owes them lunch at some point when the case is done. As he leaves the building, Dex will look for one of the payphones on campus and drop his nickel in the slot. He will dial up his contact on the police force (the Captain on my sheet) and either ask directly, or leave a message, for a number where to contact Detect Maloney who was involved in the devil worshipper case in Brooklyn a few years ago. He'll then give Langdon a call and ask him to meet him at the Public Library if he can, around 2-2:30 to do some digging on what he discovered.

Then to the hospital, a bite to eat, and then a trip to the Public Library to meet up with Langdon or do some digging on his own.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

ooc,I think I forgot that you wanted to see Lila for lunch, so let's retcon just a bit.
"Hmmm... I'm not sure of any decent sources by English-language authors. the best is still probably Silvestre de Sacy's Mémoire sur La Dynastie des Assassins, translated by Antoine Isaac, but it was written in the first half of the 19th century. You might turn up a copy in the New York Public - at the main branch, of course."

Dr. Richardson says that Thwaite is due back in January. He recommends Isya Joseph's 1919 volume Devil Worship: The Sacred Books and Traditions of the Yezidiz and suggests an older book, one of the first to outline Yezidi beliefs, though from a rather uninformed viewpoint, An Inquiry into the Religious Tenets of the Yezeedees by George Percy Badger, written in the mid-part of the last century, "if memory serves."

"As to our home-grown devil-worshippers, it seems there were police raids and a building that was demolished. Some society woman and her husband died, perhaps. It must have been a decade ago."

Dex calls Lila and makes a date for a late lunch at Binyin's. When he calls Miles Boyd, the captain draws a blank for a moment, "Maloney? Mahoney? Oh, wait a minute, you're talkin about that mess in Redhook a few years back. That was Tom Malone! He.. um...retired. Lives up in Rhode Island somewheres now."

Langdon is out of his office when Dex calls, but the secretary takes a message.

Lunch with Lila is a delight! She's so excited about the new show and its success (and hers) that Dex doesn't even think about the case. Of course, she's very sympathetic about his hurt wrist and insists on cutting his food.

He suffers through the shot and then heads over to the library.
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex will head to the library, and right for the card catalogues, since he spent many hours here working on papers for his college degree. Then he will find the librarians to make sure he hands them the book call numbers (and I am not sure if in the 1930s, you can wander the stacks or not...you can't today) for the titles he was suggested. He'll also ask the librarian if they know of anyone on staff who might have an idea about similar books.

(If he can wander the stacks to look for the books, he'll check the books on either side, and on the shelves above and below to see if anything else leaps out).

He'll then take the books to a carrel to work on some notes until the library closes. If he can check out any of the books, he will do so as well for deeper study.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Dex,[quote="Dexter Ford"]...he'll check the books on either side, and on the shelves above and below to see if anything else leaps out... Just the [b][color=#FF0000]undead librarian![/color][/b][/quote]
The librarian gives him an odd look through her pince-nez: "We certainly haven't anyone on staff who is au courant with devil-worshippers and pagans. However, Mr. Tweedy handles comparative religions. He's on his lunch break just now, but he should be back in about an half hour."

In a few minutes she returns with the de Sacy and two other texts Dex requested, which he takes over to a table in the reading room.
OOC,[color=#FF4000] I'm hoping Langdon will join you here, but won't wait more than this afternoon before bringing Tweedy on-stage.[/color]
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex will start in on the works that were pulled for him. He hopes that Langdon will show up before long, otherwise he will have to deal with the mysterious Mr. Tweedy himself.
For some reason, Dex shudders, the name reminds him of one of his worst teachers in elementary school..nasal voices, pinched glasses, and checked suits that hardly anyone but a blind epileptic would claim didn't clash. He cracks open the book, but before he does so, he checks the back of the book where the card slot holding the information with the dates indicating when the book was last checked out.

If nothing is noticeable he will start reading and making notes in his pad with a well sharpened pencil.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

"Ahem," comes the diffident throat-clearing over Dex's shoulder, followed by a sibilant whisper, "I understand you were in need of some guidance regarding little-known religions."

Turning, Dex regards a short, stout man with a round, pink face, a thin mustache, and a few strands of hair plastered to his bulbous head. Mr. Tweedy is wearing a salt-and-pepper tweed suit and a red vest.
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

"Mr. Tweedy?" repressing a visible shudder, "My name is Dexter Ford, and I am a private investigator following up on some leads for a client of mine. I am investigating the Yezidi cult from Iraq and Persia area. I know that they are supposed to be devil worshipers, and some of my contacts at Fordham University pointed me towards the titles I have here. I was referred to speak to a Dr. Thwaite, but he is in Istanbul, which makes it impractical to speak to. So I find myself here, and the reference librarian said you might be able to point me in the direction of some more esoteric titles that might add to my research?"
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

"Won't you please come with me to my cubby," comes the whispered reply and the man turns and marches off with a pigeon-toed strut, confident Dex will follow.

His cubby, when it is reached is actually a nice-sized office with two windows on the second floor, though on the rear of the building. Every flat surface except the desk chair is stacked with books and papers in unsteady pagodas. The air is scented with strong coffee and sweet tobacco. Tweedy picks up a stack from the visitor's chair and proceeds to distribute it among its ilk, apparently at random. Then he waves Dex to the chair and sits behind his desk, blinking thoughtfully for a moment before he speaks.

"Well, if it's Thwaite you were referred to, then it's Asia Minor," the voice, though louder, is still sibilant and hoarse, "And the north-westerly regions at that. Certainly, if you could speak to Thwaite, you'd have no need of me, he's the pre-eminent expert. But with Thwaite unavailable, I'm probably your best hope this side of St. Louis, where Brooke is.

"So, what do you need to know?"
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex shakes his head but then takes his seat. "What I would like to know is what is it about the Yezidi cult that they are known as demon worshipers? What specifically would have brought about some charges? Who are they worshiping and why?" He glances at his notes and continues. "Moreover, there have been rumors that the cult has survived all attempts to purge their worship, and that some of them came to the US in recent years. There were even reports that they were involved in some sort of scandal in Brooklyn in the last few years. Do you know anything about these events? Why would such an ancient cult still have worshipers today?"
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

"Perhaps you know, Mr. Ford that accusations of so-called 'devil-worship' have been leveled against various groups throughout history. King Phillipe IV of France, deeply in debt to the Ordre du Temple, the Knights Templar as they are commonly known, took advantage of such accusations that they worshiped the demon Baphomet to have many of the Order's members in France arrested, tortured into giving false confessions, and burned at the stake. And then seized their property.

"The Yezidis have long been a secretive people who keep their real beliefs hidden. As a result - and because they eschew the orthodoxy of the dominant religion of their region - they have been severely persecuted. As a result they are most suspicious of outsiders.

"Most Yezidis are illiterate and the few doctrines they have are passed down from generation to generation by word of mouth. They have purposely deceived outsiders concerning their beliefs and doctrines and kept their books a mystery, which explains why there are so many conflicting accounts of their faith. And it must be admitted that they have at times referred to their deity as 'Shaitan' or Satan, though this entity is not necessarily a "devil" or "demon" as Christians understand him.

"In general, the Yezidi people are forbidden to mention the name 'Shaitan' or any of his attributes. They refer to their Shaitan instead as “Melek Ta’us” or the 'Peacock Angel' because of his beauty and pride. He is the “Proud One” and “Ruler of the Earth” and they consider him an archangel.

"Despite centuries of persecution by Islam and Christianity, they have clung faithfully to their beliefs. I am quite certain that, to the extent there are Yezidi in this city, they practice their ancient religion here. Certainly the Jews have maintained their faith over the centuries in the face of similar treatment wherever they have settled in the world."

Tweedy pauses for a moment, then says, "Tell me, Mr. Ford, why are you interested in these curious facts? You don't seem the scholarly type to me."
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex scrambles with pencil and notebook, taking down some of the information, and keeping his comments to himself about the Templar conspiracy that he learned about all too thoroughly at a "Jesuit" school that had a heavy concentration of medievalists. Heads in a box that spoke whispered secrets, improper sexual acts between brother knights, dark Satanic rituals in the temples, the rumors ran fast and furious as the French king tried to build his case. But it was the treasure of the very rich religious order that Philippe was after, and it seemed right that Philippe never got what he truly wanted. But when the discussion got to Yezidis, it was obvious that Dex perked up and took more notes.

When Tweedy was done, Dex finished a last comment and then looked up at the scholar. "I am more interested in this Peacock Angel and any descriptions there might be of this god." He debated for a moment why he was answering the question, but he came up with what was mostly the truth. "Mr. Tweedy, before I became a private detective, before I served my government, I was a student at Fordham and studied history, and as you know, the instructors there have always had a strong medievalist bent. But to answer your question, I am on a case, and it involves a missing young man, and the Yezidi cult keeps coming up whenever we dig into the disappearance. It seems connected to the events in Brooklyn that took place in the recent past, and before I talk to members of the cult directly, I figured I would need to know as much as possible and why a young man, from a decent family, would be involved in such an esoteric cult. Moreover, there are some" Dex obviously searched for the right words "apparent events that even science might have some difficulties explaining. Like a huge dog that comes and goes without notice." He raised his bandaged arm and described the dog from memory. "Does that ring any bells, Mr. Tweedy?"
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Dexter Ford wrote:...I figured I would need to know as much as possible and why a young man, from a decent family, would be involved in such an esoteric cult. Moreover, there are some apparent events that even science might have some difficulties explaining. Like a huge dog that comes and goes without notice."[/color] He raised his bandaged arm and described the dog from memory. "Does that ring any bells, Mr. Tweedy?"
"As to the Black Dog, Mr. Ford, it figures in the lore of several cultures, including the Celtic, but I doubt it is all that germane to your inquiries.

"If the stories of Melek Ta’us, he is said to be able to offer powers that beggar description. He can restore a follower's youth and vitality, endow him with riches, or impart great knowledge and arcane abilities. Which of those might tempt your 'young man from a decent family' to become a one of the Peacock Angel's adherents? It is even told that his most-favored faithful can speak a simple phrase and be transported to the ancient city of Irem where it exists apart from this world in the protection of Shaitan. As to Melek Ta'us's own appearance, the stories are vague, save that he is surpassingly beautiful and generally takes the form of a young man.

"Tell me, Mr. Ford, would you dare to enter the fane of the Yezidi and ask your questions directly of those who have first-hand knowledge?"
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

"Mr. Tweedy, that is a good question. Frankly I took this case because it seemed an interesting and simple one: a young woman comes to ask me to find her missing brother. Then it turns out that young woman is not who she appears to be and is likely a worshiper of this cult. Perhaps she has powers that no mortal is supposed to have." Dex shrugged his shoulders and then absent mindedly fingers the crucifix around his neck. "However, at this point I am pissed off, tired of being jerked around, and I know that I want answers. I get attacked by some dog that can come and go like it wants. My friends see visions of some strange city, perhaps this Irem, perhaps a portal to somewhere else. I have faced down mobsters, even tracked down Capone himself and his boys in Chicago. I have faced down threats to my life and limb and I don't scare easily. Perhaps foolishly it cost those close to me, but I have always got my man. This time, I intend to answer these questions and return the missing client if possible. Does that answer your question Mr. Tweedy?"
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Mr. Tweedy nods. "It sounds like a tall order, Mr.Ford. I mustn't take up any more of your time," he says as he rises from behind his desk and crosses to the door. He fishes in his vest pocket and draws out his card, "If you should have any other questions, please don't hesitate to call."
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex will thank Mr. Tweedy for what help he has given, though it wasn't very much in hindsight, more clarification than anything. He will then return to his carrel and continue to read the books he had checked out, before calling it a day around 5pm. He'll keep an eye on things around the library when he can, put more note taking in that college student mode/professional investigator investigating, will take place. About 4 pm he will head off to the hospital for another shot, then find his companions for dinner as scheduled.

Return to “Find Him, Please (Trail of Cthulhu)”