Tue Sept 5 - Dex

New York City, 1933.

A man is missing and the girl wants him found. What more do you need to know?

This game will be run using the Trail of Cthulhu (copyright (c)2009 Pelgrane Press).

Moderator: Gaffer

Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Tue Sept 5 - Dex

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex chuckles. "Oh not so fast my friend, my car is out front. We can drive to your lawyer's office and follow you inside. Just say we are interested parties who wish to buy the painting and offered you a significant amount of money." He glances at Delores and then Langdon. "Can either of you two drive? I'd prefer to keep my eye on our friend here." While he looked at their "guest" he kept his hand firmly on his automatic in his coat pocket. "Like I said, we can do this the right way, or the wrong way. So far, my friend, you are doing things the right way. Let's just make sure we don't slip and fall back into old habits."
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Gaffer »

"No -- no, no, no, no, no. This cannot be," Koslov shakes his head emphatically and repeatedly, "No offenses, my tough friend, but I do not care to be seen with hyu."

He hangs his head and closes his eyes for a moment. When he looks up there is an expression of real pain on his face.

"Let me be honest with hyu. My busy-ness iss not doink so good. This customer could buy many paintinks, da? This could be my salvation! I beg you," he turns his pleading eyes on Delores and Langdon, "Don't let your friend screw this opp for me. Plees!

"You go in after I leaf. Tell Mr. Raymond you haff follow me there. Esk him hyour questions. Leaff me out off hit."
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Delores Brown
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by Delores Brown »

Delores caught Dex's sleeve. "We could drop him off around the corner, then watch the office," she said quietly.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

[posted by the Keeper]

Langdon thinks for a moment, trying to put what he's learned in the past few days to good use.

"Maybe Dolores and I could accompany him into the outer office while Dex watches the back door. I can 'stall' the receptionist. Dolores can follow Koslov back outside when he's done, then go get Dex to come in and talk to Attorney Raymond. That way he can't pull a fast one and leave with the painting. What do you think, Dex?"
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Looks at both Langdon and Delores, motioning them to one side, a bit out of earshot, while keeping an eye on Koslov so he doesn't do anything 'unsmart.' "I agree that we drive him there, while I think Delores and Langdon should do as you both suggest. Delores, you accompany him inside and wait in the lobby, pretending to be his friend. Langdon, you still the secretary or receptionist, and keep an eye on the street. I'll go around the block and then keep an eye on the rear of the building until one of you get me. Then we head in, talk to the lawyer, and see where things go from there. Does that sound like a working plan?"
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

[posted by the Keeper]

Langdon nods.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

A few minutes later Dex is driving with Koslov beside him and Delores and Langdon in the back seat. He finds a parking space and everyone proceeds as planned.

Langdon approaches the receptionist and spins a long story about problems with the City Sealer's office. He explains that Peter Raymond has been recommended and he must see him right away. The woman explains that Mr. Raymond has an appointment, announcing Koslov over the intercom and letting him enter Raymond's office. Langdon begins explaining the whole thing again.
Delores Brown
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Delores Brown »

Delores sits down in the chair nearest to Raymond's office door, smoothing her skirt. She picks up a magazine from a neat pile and opens it, pretending to read one of the articles, while she tries to listen in on what is happening in the office.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Dex,[color=#FF4000]As Dex turns into the alley behind the attorney's office, he notices two guys in brown suits smoking by the rear door. They don't look like lawyers. In fact they look like leg-breakers or cops. They haven't noticed him yet.[/color]
Delores can just make out low voices coming from the office and laughter.
Roll,[color=#FF4000]Listen[/color]
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex will slowly drive up to the two men in brown suits, and casually ask them for directions. "Excuse me, officers. I seem to be a bit lost. I was looking for Broadway and ..." He consults a piece of paper in his pocket, which is actually blank. "14th St. I think I got turned around someplace. Can you get me back on the right track?"

If they turn around and answer him, he'll try to see if they are carrying weapons. If they sound or act more like leg breakers, Dex will simply nod and thank them for directions. If they turn out to be cops, well he will have a different sort of follow up response.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

One of the guys detaches himself from the wall and approaches Dan's car. "Sure t'ing, mac. Drive down'a enda dis block an' get lost!."
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex smiles sadly. "I am sorry you had to be such a wise ass." He placed the revolver on the door frame, clearly visible to the guy who spoke to him. "So we are going to do this the easy way, or we are going to do this the hard way. The easy way is you and your friend remove your heaters with your off hands and place them on the ground, then kick them towards the car. The hard way is I plug you so full of holes you will whistle when you breathe." He'll put all the inflection of his former law officer background into the tone of his voice.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

The guy at the car raised his hands and said, very quietly, "You are under arrest. Put that gun down very carefully on the seat and we won't make it assault and resisting. Shut off your engine and get out of the car. Okay?"

The guy by the wall raised his right hand and very carefully flipped back his lapel with two fingers of his left, showing a New York City Deputy Sheriff badge pinned to his vest.

Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex thinks. "Oh shit." He looks at the officer and does the right thing. He places the revolver on the seat next to him and turns off the car engine. He then places both hands on the steering wheel, before speaking slowly. "Well it seems as if there is a misunderstanding here, sheriff. Name is Dex Ford and I am a private investigator and former Prohi. I am working a case, and was told that there were some unsavory gentlemen hanging out here and could be armed and dangerous. Your reaction to my asking for directions seemed to indicate you were the one's I was warned about. If you want to see my ID and my badge, I can give them to you."

Spend: Cop Talk +3
1d6+3 → [4,3] = (7)
1d6+3=7
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

The Deputy motions for Dex to get out of the car. Then he takes a look at his P.I. license and carry permit. He snorts and taps the documents on his palm, "Mr. Ford, you oughta know better'n to pull a bonehead stunt like that. We're waitin' for a guy to come out that door and we're gonna take him into custody. I'd rather not hafta process two suspects today, so whattaya say you just--"

"Phil!" calls his partner as the door creaks open. Dex sees Koslov appear in the doorway with a startled expression, then turn to flee back inside. The deputy grabs his coat collar and gets an elbow in the nose. Phil tosses Dex's papers at him and rushes to help subdue Koslov, pulling a sap from his hip pocket. He taps the struggling gallery owner on the head and all the fight goes out of the big man. In a moment, they have him handcuffed.
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex breathes a sigh of relief, and then sees the man they are planning on arresting. "Damn you." Dex puts his paperwork back in his pocket and then hurries over to see if he can help the officers. Once they have Koslov under arrest, he chuckles. "Officers, it seems this gentleman is the same man I have been following for his involvement in a case I am working on with a detective from downtown. He's wanted in a disappearance and possible murder of my client."
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

"Well," said Phil, as his partner hauled Koslov to his feet and began to frog march him down the alley, "We'll be sure to check him for wants and warrants and contact your detective friend. Right now this guy's going to the county jail. You have a good night, pal." And he followed along to the unmarked car that Koslov was being put into.
Delores Brown
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Delores Brown »

OOC: Sorry for the lack of posts - busy week!
Gaffer wrote:Delores can just make out low voices coming from the office and laughter.
Listening to what's happening in Raymond's office. (1d6=3)

Any joy?
Delores Brown
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Delores Brown »

OOC: Sorry for the lack of posts - busy week!
Gaffer wrote:Delores can just make out low voices coming from the office and laughter.
Listening to what's happening in Raymond's office. (1d6=3)

Any joy?
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Delores can hear the muted sound of conversation, though without distinguishing any words. There's a bit of laughter, then silence. After a moment, the receptionist's intercom buzzes.

"Someone should be coming in to see me in a moment, Penny. Show him in immediately. "

"There's already a man here who insists on seeing you, Mr. Raymond."

"Is he a Deputy Sheriff?"

"Are you?"
she asks Langdon.

"Yes," says the young man, "Well, I'm working with the police on a case. Practically the same thing." With that, he hurries past Penny and through Raymond's door.

Return to “Find Him, Please (Trail of Cthulhu)”