Mon Sep 4 - Afternoon - Dex and Langdon

New York City, 1933.

A man is missing and the girl wants him found. What more do you need to know?

This game will be run using the Trail of Cthulhu (copyright (c)2009 Pelgrane Press).

Moderator: Gaffer

Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Mon Sep 4 - Afternoon - Dex and Langdon

Post by Gaffer »

Dex's Office

Dex wakes suddenly on the sofa where he has dozed off, jarring his wrist so that it throbs dimly. The room is almost dark in the late afternoon. There's a tentative rapping on the outer office door. Crossing to it, he sees a faint silhouette on the pebbled glass and hears Langdon's voice calling softly, "Mr. Ford? Are you in there?"
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Mon Sep 4 - Afternoon - Dex and Langdon

Post by Langdon »

I try the handle, and finding it unlocked, let myself in. I sit in a chair near the couch.

"Dex, Miss Brown went to check on an art store, Detective Esposito went to the station to check for info on Merivana Azaff and follow some other leads. I came here to check on you and we can follow up any leads you have."
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex sits up, wiping sleep out of his eyes. He glances over at Langdon with a start and then chuckles. "Not exactly the pretty face I was expecting to wake up to from this." He lifts his bandaged wrist. Processing the information that Langdon has given him, he nods his head as he walks over to his desk drawer, pulling out a bottle of decent Canadian whiskey. "Want a splash?" He pours himself a double, (and Langdon if he wants one) and goes over the notes mentally. "Well didn't we discover along the way that our boy has been involved in some occult activity? We got some books from his apartment, but I figure we might be missing something. We could pop down to the public library main branch on 5th avenue and see what we can find there?" He sips the whiskey and then looks at Langdon. "I'd really like to know what the hell bit me too..."
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

I sip the whiskey, enjoying the smooth warm bite. Nodding agreement to Dex's suggestion about the library, "Why not?"

"As for what bit you," I finish off the whiskey, suddenly feeling very thirsty and just a little unsteady, "If Merivana can make the wall vanish and walk through it into some other place, I'd bet she made whatever bit you. Did you find any..." I bring the glass up for another swig, licking my parched lips and coughing out the last word, "pieces?"
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex shakes his head. "No, nothing was noticable. Docs thought it was a big dog, but they also said I should go back for rabies shots, but to be honest, I think that might be the least thing I have to worry about." He rubs his arm and takes a sip. "I am not sure we can head out to the library today, but I am in the mood for a bite to eat and I think my girl is on Broadway tonight hoofing her way through a show. Perhaps we can grab a bite to eat and then head out to the show, saving the library for tomorrow morning?" Dex sips his whiskey. "We could invite the others as a chance to break the tension and then share whatever info we all have and where to head to next."[
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

"Dinner and distraction sound like just what the doctor ordered, Dex."
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Refilling Langdon's glass, Dex sits back down and then leans his forearms on his legs, being careful and favoring his wounded arm. "Langdon, now that you have had some time to realize the truth about Merivana" the name sticking for a moment before spitting it out "do you remember anything sticking out from your dinner with her? Anything that you kinda shrugged off as being odd or perhaps simply thinking you misheard her, but now might be important?"
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

"She seemed miffed that Alphonse was spending inheritance money, is all. And she was impatient with our progress at the time." I swish the whiskey and swallow. "There was that Egyptian amulet she was wearing at the station."
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

"What Egyptian amulet?" Dex gets up and looks through the books he still has to see if there is a picture of the amulet among the works he took from Hirt's apartment. "Would you recognize it if you saw it again?"
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Langdon describes the necklace:

"It's silver -- or maybe platinum? There's a centerpiece on a silver chain. It's made up of a disk in the middle with a sort of oval on either side, flanked by a half disk, then a sort of quarter disk beside those. It looks like the moon going through its phases, you know? quarter-moon, half-moon, three quarter-moon, full moon. Her earrings were silver crescents, like the moon, too. The whole thing looked like it was Middle Eastern -- Egyptian, or maybe Persian. I'm not an expert."
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex will look through the two books for any description of the amulet or any images of it. Hopefully there is something that will illuminate a bit more about the actual cult they are facing.

Spend 1 point of Library Use:
1d6+1=7
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

You don't find anything in the index about jewelry, but looking at all the illustrations, you do come across a photo of a necklace in Adventures in Arabia: Among the Bedouins, Druses, Whirling Dervishes & Yezidee Devil Worshipers by W.B. Seabrook.

"That's it exactly!" Langdon exclaims.
Moon Pendant.jpg
Necklace taken from Yezidee shamaness after capture by British authorities.
Property of Baghdad Archaeological Museum. Donated by Miss Gertrude Bell.

There's no other reference in the index.

By the time you've found it, it's too late to get to the play.
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

OOC,thanks for the description and such. It helped!
"So... she's a moon-man?" I chuckle. "Or..." a little more serious, "Maybe she draws power from the moon, somehow. What's the phase of the moon tonight? Do you think that has anything to do with what she could do back at the apartment?"
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

"Perhaps, I don't really know. This occult mumbo jumbo isn't really up my alley. However, I still think come morning we should head to the library and see if we can track down some more information. Or more importantly, let me try to make some phone calls and see what I can dig up on alleged experts at Fordham, my alma mater, who might be able to point us in the right direction about the amulet and anyone who knows something more about the amulet. In this city, I am sure there have to be at least one egghead who knows all about this." He waves at the book, then mumbles under his breath, after dog earring the page. "Do you want to take the book to look over tonight? It's too late to go to the theater, but I might still be able to get Lila after the show for a late night steak or some food. You are welcome to come along if you want, Langdon. Lila is a swell gal."
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

"No. No. That's fine. I think I may just take the book and read at home. I need a rest. Stop by tomorrow and we'll see what else we can find out. Do you need a ride?" With that I make my farewells and head home, by way of Dex's destination if he takes me up on the offer.
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex will give the book over to Langdon and make sure he has his number and address. "I'll take you up on the offer. I am not sure I am up for driving, and I can take a taxi home afterwards." Dex will tell Langdon the name of the theater Lila is performing at.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

The 'phone on Dex's desk rings.
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

I stick around, out of curiosity really, not meaning to snoop on Dex. If it sounds related to our case, I'll stay. If Dex shoos me out or if the call seems unrelated, I'll wave goodbye and leave.
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex hear's the phone ring and walks over to pick it up. He motions for Langdon to hang around.

"Ford Detective Agency, Dex Ford speaking. How can I help you?"
FrankyEsposito
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by FrankyEsposito »

"Ford, Esposito here. Just, uh, calling to see how it's going. Haven't turned up anything new here, no hits for Azaff or the car."

I'm not used to this. I've been working alone since... since Vinny.

"Look, have you seen Langdon or Delores? When I was writing my report it... struck me how odd this whole thing must seem to anyone on the outside. I was thinking we should maybe get together, talk about it..."

Return to “Find Him, Please (Trail of Cthulhu)”