Page 1 of 1

Mon Sep 4 - Thomas Street

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:28 pm
by Gaffer
8 Thomas Street is a remodeled and fashionable building on a somewhat scruffy block of Greenwich Village, a bohemian district of New York, full of dusty bookstores, dingy art galleries, and dimly-lit cafes. Of course, it’s the middle of the day right now, so the sidewalks are pretty deserted and yours were the only cars moving on the street.

The block is mostly older brownstones (some converted to rooming houses) and about ten storefronts, including Simpkins’ Grocery, Trilby’s Hat (cafe), Koslov’s Art and The Book-Worm (second-hand bookstore) – several others are vacant. There are a couple of small, newer apartment buildings down the block, similar to number 8. The grocery and the café are open and the bookstore is just opening up; the gallery looks closed.

A wide alley runs along one side of Hirt’s building, which abuts Simpkins’ Grocery on the other side (an alley runs behind both buildings as well). The glassed-in foyer includes a pair of potted palms and a row of twenty polished brass mailboxes for the residents. There are several parking spaces in front of and across the street from the apartment house.

[How do you proceed when you arrive? Do you just walk right into the building? Do you case the place first?

If Langdon doesn't go in with the rest, where does wait? (There is a pay phone in the café .)]

Re: Mon Sep 4 - Thomas Street

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:36 pm
by Langdon
Jamison parks us across the street and I wait in the car for the others to arrive.

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:38 am
by Dexter Ford
Dex will go around the block and then park on the opposite side of the street from Langdon. If anyone came with him, he has something to say first, otherwise he will step out of the car and wait for the others to arrive.

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:01 pm
by Langdon
OOC,Langdon plans to go in with the others, but to act like any sort of antagonistic response to Miss Hirt is not at all what he expected. What sort of spends might I need to make for that? Reassurance? Assess Honesty (lie)?

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:06 pm
by FrankyEsposito
I'll arrive by cab, not even trying to be inconspicuous. I'll head directly for the apartment. As I do, I'll take a surreptitious glance around, hoping to spot the others. Regardless, I'll proceed directly to Alphonse's apartment and knock on the door.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:13 pm
by Gaffer
Dex is just handing Delores out of his car, when the cab pulls up and Esposito storms into the apartment building. Langdon jaywalks across the street from his car. Everyone will have to hurry to catch up to the police detective.
Dex,[color=#FF0000][OOC - I just heard from Delores/Philulu that he's having tech issues, so I'm assuming she rode with you. Go ahead with a retcon post to say what you wanted to say in the car. Or you can hurriedly fill in Delores and Langdon as you follow Esposito.][/color][
Langdon,[color=#FF0000][OOC - I think we'll test Langdon's [b]Reassurance[/b] when the time comes, so be thinking of how much he'll want to spend. By the way, I didn't mention it before, but Jamison isn't there. He's a house servant, not a chauffer. Besides, Langdon gets great pleasure being seen behind the wheel of his fancy car.][/color]
Franky,As Esposito steps into the foyer, a nasally voice asks, [color=#0000BF]“Can I help you, sir?"[/color] Myron Hirschen is at the front desk, ready to help residents and run the elevator. Myron is neither tall nor short and of average weight. His most distinctive facial feature is the pair of round, black-framed glasses through which he peers, blinking frequently. He wears a white shirt and tie, dark trousers and a gray sweater under his maroon uniform jacket. There’s a thick book on the desk in front of him. His voice has a nasal quality.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:43 pm
by Langdon
"Detective!" I call out indiscriminately from across the street, waving to both detectives. I trot across the street and rush in after the others. "Shall we?"

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:33 pm
by FrankyEsposito
Well, we did manage to look disorganized. I don't know if anyone's watching, but you can never be too careful. I badge the doorman and motion for him to hold on.

"Mr. Vilas, glad you could make it." I extend my hand to shake his, trying to act like we haven't seen each other for some time. "Do you know if Mr. Ford and Miss, uh..." I stop and check my notes, playing it to the hilt. "Brown are coming?"

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:58 am
by Langdon
"I think I saw Dex and Dolores outside, they should be along any minute now."

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:46 pm
by Dexter Ford
Dex finishes chatting with Delores, mentioning that she should be carefully since some odd things are going on. He sees Langdon and Esposito already inside the building. After opening the door for Delores he nods at the other two. "Sorry we are a bit late, traffic was a bear. I take it we are ready?" He glances at the doorman and nods, waiting to see what the other two, including the detective are about to do next.

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:00 pm
by Gaffer
For those of you who haven't met him yet, the youngish man behind the front desk (not a doorman) is Myron Hirschen. Myron is neither tall nor short and of average weight. His most distinctive facial feature is the pair of round, black-framed glasses through which he peers, blinking frequently. He wears a white shirt and tie, dark trousers and a gray sweater under his maroon uniform jacket. There’s a thick book on the desk in front of him. His voice has a nasal quality.

“Oh, Mr. Ford, good morning. Are these people all with you? I take it you want to go up to Mr. Hirt’s apartment. Shall I ring Miss Hirt to tell her you’re here? She came in a few minutes ago.”

He reaches for the phone.

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:08 pm
by Delores Brown
"You've met Miss Hirt before?" asks Delores quickly, before Hirschen can pick up the phone. "Before today, that is?"

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:20 pm
by Langdon
OOC,I will be out of town this weekend starting tomorrow afternoon and I won't be back until late Sunday night. Sorry to be absent just as we're starting a new scene.

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:29 pm
by Dexter Ford
Delores Brown wrote:"You've met Miss Hirt before?" asks Delores quickly, before Hirschen can pick up the phone. "Before today, that is?"
Dex answers sotto voce to Delores. "Langdon met the fake Miss Hirt over the weekend for dinner. At the time we weren't quite sure she wasn't the real Miss Hirt. If the doorman over there says Miss Hirt is waiting for us, I am curious as to which Miss Hirt it might be?" He patted his jacket, near where a shoulder holster would hang. "I am sure we can handle whatever is thrown at us."

Dex thinks for a moment. "Has anyone actually met or talked with the real Miss Hirt?"

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:51 pm
by Gaffer
Delores Brown wrote:"You've met Miss Hirt before?" asks Delores quickly, before Hirschen can pick up the phone. "Before today, that is?"
“Well, she says she’s his sister Marlene and I’ve spoken with Mr. Hirt’s sister Marlene on the phone several times during the six months I’ve worked here. She’s been going in and out with Mr. Hirt for a couple of months, I guess, so it’s okay. She had the key and she even bought a new rug last week. I helped her carry it up."

He lowers his voice, leaning conspiratorially toward Esposito and winking lugubriously. "She’s a real looker, I’ll tell you. Got a snazzy red car she parks in the alley, too.”

“I’ll take you up in the elevator.”
He leads you over to the small elevator and takes his station at the controls. It's a rather tight fit with five people, but rises smoothly to the third floor.

“Listen, will you tell her she’s got to keep her dog quiet? Other residents have been complaining. They say it must be the size of a small pony, but I’ve never seen her walk it. It wasn’t with her when she came in today, no.” The elevator opens onto a softly carpeted foyer that 302 shares with three other apartments. It’s tastefully appointed with dimly-lit sconces and a small table holding fresh flowers. There are four [edit] other doors in the foyer.

"Oh, gosh, I forgot to announce you. I hope she won't be cross. Well, I have to get back to studying – bar exam next month. Just ring for the elevator when you're done and I'll come back up for you.”

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:56 pm
by Langdon
[Can we hear this supposed dog as we get off the elevator?]

"Good luck on the exam. Remember, the answer to question 23 is always false." I smile and chuckle. "Shall we?" I reach to knock on 302.

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:25 pm
by FrankyEsposito
"Actually, I think I'll take the stairs -- I'm not too keen on crowded elevators." I'll give Dex a look, hoping he understands what I'm up to.
Gaffer,As soon as the elevator starts moving I'll dash out into the street and look for a "snazzy red car" and copy down the license plate. I just wish there were time to call it in...
[Edited to keep Franky's separate action separate.]

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:55 pm
by Gaffer
Franky,Looking up and down the street, you don't see any red cars. But there is the alley running down the side of 8 Thomas Street to another alley behind the building. You pass by the rear delivery door, noting that it's steel with no handle or lock, probablyly bolted from inside. In the alley, the fire escape ladder is well out of reach and probably secured by a latch (most are). Steep iron steps zig-zag from floor to floor, linking a series of catwalks serving each of the rear apartments, as well as a central door that must provide access from a hallway. Sure enough, there’s a red 1932 Ford Coupé parked in the alley with a New York license plate AYB-843 [color=#FF4000][Evidence Collection][/color]. A short, dark man in a cap is leaning against it. When he sees you, he turns and saunters off. [color=#FF4000][You can make a one-point Evidence Collection spend.][/color]

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 pm
by Delores Brown
Delores stands in the corner of the elevator, head down, lost in her thoughts as it rises. She smiles wanly at the doorman as she leaves the elevator, wishing she could leave, not liking the sound of this dog the size of a pony. "The dog? You don't think it's the thing that left those marks, do you?"

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:06 am
by Dexter Ford
He nods at the detective and then gets into the elevator with the others. He lets the bellman blather on a bit, nodding and harumphing here and there as appropriate. He files away the info that has been revealed.

Dex shakes his head at Delores' comment, but then he reaches inside his jacket and unfastens the strap on his shoulder holster and slowly removes the heavy revolver. He palms it against the back of his leg, as he walks with Delores towards the door. "Lets hope not...because if it is, we might be in a spot of trouble."

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:31 am
by Gaffer
[OOC - I'm not going to conceal this from Franky.]

Marlene Hirt answers the bell and greets you warmly, leading the way to the living room. A smell of fresh-brewed coffee permeates the apartment. Delores notes that Marlene's lounging suit, with its halter top and flare-legged pants is very modish, and probably cost as much as she makes in a week. Must be nice.

“Thank you so much for coming to see me. I am very grateful for your interest in my brother.I feel that I have hardly slept since we last met.”

The living room is nicely furnished with a sofa and armchairs, a couple of brass lamps on end-tables, and a big radio cabinet playing softly. There are two tall bookshelves along one wall, a small number of books carelessly stacked or fallen over. A picture frame lies face-down on one of the shelves.

A thick, new rug is underfoot. There is no sign of a dog.

“Please, make yourselves comfortable. I have coffee ready in the kitchen. Langdon, will you help me?”

Langdon smiles and follows her to the kitchen. Dex and Delores are alone in the living room.

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:24 am
by FrankyEsposito
Gaffer wrote:
Franky,[color=#FF4000][You can make a one-point Evidence Collection spend.][/color]
Hmmm,I want to follow this guy, but I can't in good conscience leave those three alone to interview "Miss Hirt." I get the best look at him I can, copy down the plate number, and head back to the apartment. [i][b]OOC:[/b] I'll skip the spend.[/i]

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:02 pm
by Langdon
I'm probably the only one here who isn't nervous, I chuckle to myself. I do keep an eye on Miss Hirt, in case she tries slipping something in the coffee. Not because I'm paranoid, but because the others are.

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:06 pm
by Delores Brown
Delores looks questioningly at Dex. She nods at the kitchen door, indicating that he should keep watch, and steps smartly over to the bookshelves and lifts the picture frame to see who picture lies within.

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:37 am
by Gaffer
Langdon,On the kitchen table is a silver coffee service on a silver tray and a small plate of pastries on another with napkins and forks. Marlene turns and speaks softly to you. [color=#0000BF]“Ah, Langdon, I have thought about you so much. This morning I tried to call you, but your man said that you were out. I know the most marvelous place that has dancing on Wednesdays. It’s in Brooklyn, a former church of all things! Wonderfully proletarian. Let's go this week.”[/color] She smiles and kisses you lightly on the cheek, a cloud of perfume enveloping you. She hands you the coffee tray and takes the pastry tray back to the living room.
Delores,There are two photos in the picture frame, a man and a woman. [attachment=1]2 Alphonse_Hirt.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]3 Dorothy_Mandeville.jpg[/attachment]
Franky,As you come back down the alley, you see a dilapidated truck idling noisily in the street between Ford's and Vilas's cars. Two large, swarthy men are struggling to unload a rather decrepit-looking icebox. A small swarthy man is arguing with a guy in front of [b]Trilby's Hat[/b]. It would be a pity if they scratched Ford's car. You chuckle as you turn up the walk toward the building.

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:14 pm
by Langdon
The others would easily be able to see the flush on my face no matter what I tried to do to hide it. That and the fact that I nearly dropped the coffee on my way out makes it clear that I may not be playing at being "dizzy over the dame."

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:18 pm
by Dexter Ford
Dex just nods and slides the pistol into his jacket pocket, rather than in his shoulder holster. He stands near Delores and whispers. "She is the one right, the wrong Miss Hirt? And moreover, she seems all too calm here. Like she was expecting us."

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:38 pm
by FrankyEsposito
Franky,I'll head straight back into the building and get Myron to take me up in the elevator. I tell him not to announce me. I'm sure, having already seen my badge, that he won't give me [i]any[/i] problems...

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:34 pm
by Gaffer
Dex,In fairness, she [u]was[/u] expecting you to call this afternoon.
Franky,Myron looks at you as you come in, a bit startled. [color=#0000BF]"I thought you used the stairs, detective.[/color]" He crosses to the elevator and takes you up.
Delores is still holding the picture frame when the kitchen door screeches a bit and Miss Hirt and Langdon return to the living room. Langdon sets a silver tray and coffee service on the table and she puts a tray with a plate of pastries beside it. She begins to serve coffee and pastries all around.

The door buzzes and Miss Hirt admits Esposito to the soireé. "I am so glad you could join us, officer." When everyone is served, Miss Hirt finally sits down, leaving her coffee untouched. Suddenly serious, she looks at each of you.

“Now, tell me, what have you learned? I cannot bear this not knowing. My greatest fear is that my brother may be mad, that he might harm himself, perhaps even others. Our father... Well, all that is long past. But the things Alphonse thinks about, the things he says, a cult of devil-worshippers in Brooklyn who fly to the moon? It cannot be true. It cannot, can it?”
Franky,The coffee is strong and sweet and reminds you of something. You take a bite of the pastry and it hits you. It’s like that Turkish place in Brooklyn that Vinnie used to drag you too all the time. The place in Red Hook.

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:58 pm
by FrankyEsposito
"Very interesting coffee, Miss Hirt. Is it French?"
[OOC - I'm striking this comment for continuity. Perhaps Franky can fit it in after Marlene straightens out Dex and Langdon.]

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:54 am
by Langdon
Sternly, "Yes. Tell us about the devil-worshippers, Detective, Dolores. I remember you found some books." I smile at Miss Hirt, making sure she knows I don't believe any of this hooie about cults and hoodoo worship and moon-travel and... "I never got round to reading any of that. You'll have to fill me in as well."

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:55 am
by Dexter Ford
Dex, standing near Delores as she looks at the pics, nods his head. "I am betting those two are the ones who really are at the center of things."

When Langdon returns with the false Miss Hirt, Dex listens to Landon's good cop routine and just stares for a moment. He shakes his head subtly, and looks at Miss Hirt. "Miss Hirt, I think perhaps you might want to tell us some of the truth you have been holding back. Or deliberately lying to us about." Dex stands and places his hand in his coat pocket, gripping the revolver. "Langdon, I know you are sweet on the girl, but she has been playing all of us, including Delores, as saps. Haven't you Miss Hirt?"

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:07 am
by Langdon
"Now see here Mr. Ford" formality makes me sound angrier, right? "I'm certain Miss Hirt hasn't been lying to us. Why would she lie? She wants to find her brother!" and now I offer her a nice way out, let her think she's got a friend and a reason to come clean "Maybe she held back some minor detail, but haven't we been doing the same?" I nod knowingly at Dex, hoping he'll catch my drift and maybe offer a little tit-for-tat as bait.

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:34 am
by Gaffer
Marlene looks from Ford to Langdon and back again. Her eyes flash in anger and she fairly hisses as she rises to her feet. "You will not speak to me in this manner," she says to Dex, biting off each word, "I have paid you to do a job. If you have any information for me, say it now. Then our business is at an end."

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:25 pm
by FrankyEsposito
I scowl at Dex and shake my head. Not a natural at being the bad cop?

"Miss Hirt, I apologize for Mr. Ford. He can be a bit gruff at times. I give her my best "trust me, I'm a cop" smile. "Before I give you any details on your brother, do you think I could see some identification? Just a formatlity, you know. Police procedure."

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:02 pm
by Langdon
OOC,Langdon will do his best to follow after Miss Hirt, try to calm her down, to stay on her good side, or get back on it if she seems to think Langdon had anything to do with the sudden verbal assault

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:35 pm
by Dexter Ford
Dex was about to jump back into the fray when Esposito comes up with the plausible suggestion of seeing some ID.

Dex's hand remains in his jacket. While he doesn't have tons of experience playing the bad guy, he does have some experience busting mobsters and rum runners. She may not be one of them, but she does have some questions to answer...

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:14 pm
by Gaffer
Marlene fairly leaps to her feet, throwing off Langdon's comforting hand, her eyes flashing fire at Esposito.

"So. When I give you money, you don't care who I am. but now, when you are to give me the information I have paid for, now you want identification!" She fairly spits the word at the policeman. "Your sergeant, when he assigned you this case, he was satisfied with who I am, perhaps I should call him -- or your captain! I am not without influence in this city!"

Then suddenly she slumps back down on the sofa, leaning against Langdon's shoulder. Her eyes fill with tears and her voice deflates.

"I just want to find my brother... or know what has become of him."

She turns toward Delores her hand out, beseeching, "Please. You are a woman. You know what it is to feel. Make them tell me what they know."

Eyes closed, her head droops. "[sub]I just want to know. Please...[/sub]"

[Assess Honesty rolls, I think, with any spends you want to make.]

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:57 am
by FrankyEsposito
I try not to sound miffed. "I'm paid by the great City of New York, ma'am. And I wouldn't be doing my job if I gave out information to just anyone, now would I?" She's going to call my captain? How much lower does she think one cop can sink?

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:12 am
by Langdon
[Sadly I left my USB jobber with my character sheet elsewhere. I'd like to spend 2 points Assess Honesty on the test. If I don't have the 2 to spend, just take the 4 I rolled. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2490756/ Rolled a 4 +2 = 6]

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:26 pm
by Delores Brown
"You're right," said Delores, "I'm a woman, and I know how to feel. The problem is that right now, I'm feeling used." She picked up the picture frame and held it up to for 'Miss Hirt' to see. "The doorman at Marlene Hirt's apartment [ed.]said that Miss Hirt is a blonde - you don't look like a blonde to me, unless you let Langdon here get up close and personal enough to find out differently. I think the girl in the picture is the real Marlene Hirt and that you're a fraud. So why don't you tell us what this is all about?"
OOC,I'm assuming that 'Marlene' isn't telling the truth! [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2491256/]Is 'Marlene' telling the truth? (1d6=5)[/url]

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:37 pm
by FrankyEsposito
Looks like our "good cop, bad cop" plan didn't survive first contact with the enemy. If she is the enemy.
Roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2491300/]Franky doesn't believe her. Or does he? 1d6=4[/url]

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:35 pm
by Dexter Ford
Dex steps next to Delores and glances from the picture to the woman. "Even I don't think she fake the hair job that well. And my late wife used to dye her hair all the time." Still trying to let the good/bad cop go a bit further, Dex looks at Langdon.

"Come on Langdon, you had dinner with her, spent some alone time with the young lady. Why do you think she might be misleading us? Could she had been Mr. Hirt's girlfriend?"

Like that would be the truth...
Spoiler:

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:11 pm
by Langdon
"Excuse me, Mr. Ford, Miss Brown, Detective Esposito!" gesturing to Miss Hirt, "Let's not talk about our employer as if she weren't in the room." I smile at 'Miss Hirt'. "If this is too much for you, we could always step outside for a bit. I apologize for my colleagues."

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:05 pm
by Gaffer
Delores,The evidence seems against her, but you can't quite be certain.
Langdon,You just can't believe that this poor, tortured, beautiful woman is lying.
Franky,Maybe you've misjudged her. It's really ford who's so sure she's a fake.
Dex,It's hard to dismiss some of the facts you've gathered -- the 'dizzy blonde' remark, especially -- but maybe this really is Marlene Hirt.
Delores Brown wrote:She picked up the picture frame and held it up to for 'Miss Hirt' to see.
There are two photos in the picture frame, a man and a woman.
2 Alphonse_Hirt.jpg
3 Dorothy_Mandeville.jpg
Marlene stares at the photos in the frame. "That...That's my brother and his fiancée... former fiancée, Miss Mandeville, Dorothy Mandeville. she's out West somewhere -- Denver, I think. Wait, what doorman? There's no doorman here. You mean Hirschen, why would he say that? This is all insane, perhaps it is I that am losing my mind..."

She turns her face to Langdon's jacket, her breath sobbing, her shoulders shaking.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:02 am
by Dexter Ford
Whispering to Delores, he glances at the woman. "You know, I could be wrong, and that could be the real Miss Hirt. But you know something, she hasn't once mentioned the broken door or the deep scratches on the floor. Not once..."

Dex tries to assess how good an actress she might be, and whether the doorman seems to be a doorman or was there something odd about him.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:29 pm
by Gaffer
Dex,Myron is a desk clerk, rather than a "doorman." Delores was referring to the doorman at Marlene Hirt's apartment building.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:17 pm
by Langdon
I just comfort the poor woman, letting the others question her and look for answers. I'm here to keep the fish on the hook so to speak.

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:55 am
by Delores Brown
Delores looked at Dex and shook her head doubtfully. She couldn't be sure but things didn't add up. "The Doorman at Marlene Hirt's apartment house [ed.] said Marlene Hirt - the real Marlene Hirt - was a blonde. Call it women's intuition, but I just don't believe her," she said quietly.

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:59 pm
by Langdon
Langdon whispers back, sure he'd be chuckling if it weren't for the gravity of the situation. "And men don't lie? Maybe we should look into this doorman?"

"Miss Hirt... Marlene... I'm sorry that we've upset you. We're just confused.
You see, Dex and I..." I cast a glance over to Dex, eyes seeking advice or a warning or encouragement.
OOC Question about PBP,If we were in person I'd be giving Dex about 5 seconds to either interrupt or take over, how can I achieve that in play-by-post?
Keeper only,[strike]See above question. If Dex doesn't interrupt, Langdon continues:[/strike] "[color=#0000FF][strike]We had the doorman show us the apartment yesterday. We found some strange things that make us think your brother may have been the victim of fowl play. Dex saw claw marks on the floor. And that rug is ... well it doesn't match the other. It doesn't seem to match your brother's tastes. Marlene, have you ever heard or seen a dog in the apartment? A... rather large one?[/strike][/color]"

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:26 pm
by Gaffer
[I'm going to step in here to clear up some misconceptions. The doorman that Delores is referring to is not Myron, who is the deskman here at Alphonse Hirt's apartment building. The doorman is at Marlene Hirt's apartment building that Delores visited on Sunday. I should have edited Delores's post to make that more clear. I have now and also part of Langdon's that was based on the misconception.]

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:15 pm
by Dexter Ford
Miss Hirt, or whoever you are, your story doesn't add up. Langdon is sweet on you, and that is a good thing. Because of my friendship for him, I am barely giving you the benefit of the doubt. But from what we have discovered Mr. Hirt was involved in a mysterious cult whose origins go back a long way. In fact, they were active until just a short time ago and your "brother" seems to have stumbled into the cult. Now what I think is going on, if you pardon me for being as blunt as a two by four, is that you are part of this cult or connected to it, and that you are looking for something Mr. Hirt acquired from the cult and want to get it back as well as finding out where he disappeared too. Easy enough to have the authorities find a missing man for you...

::Dex glances at Langdon:: Sorry old man, but I am tired of playing footsie with this dame. I am about to refund her the money she paid us unless she gives us something resembling the truth. ::He reaches into his coat pocket as if to pull out the money, but is actually holding onto the grip of the revolver he placed in his pocket.::

Besides, I am reminded of a quote said by Sherlock Holmes about the curious incident of the dog in the night. So far you haven't mentioned anything at all about the claw marks on the kitchen floor behind you...frankly it isn't something you could miss if you spent anytime in here at all.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:47 pm
by Gaffer
Marlene Hirt raises a tear-stained face from Langdon's damp shoulder and draws a deep, shuddering breath.

"I've only myself to blame for your not trusting me," she smiles bravely at Langdon, her lips trembling a bit, "You are very perspicacious, Mr. Ford. Indeed, I have been holding something back, but not for my sake. I feared what might befall you people, if I gave you too much knowledge."

She stands, smoothing her hair. "Would you allow me to retrieve something from the guest room? I think it will make clear the danger that might befall you if you persist in this investigation."

She steps toward the hallway.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:49 pm
by Langdon
I rise and walk with her. "Here, Marlene, let me help you"

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:36 pm
by Delores Brown
"Dex..." hisses Delores, wanting the detective to stop her. She doesn't trust Marlene - call it feminine intuition but there was something going on and she didn't want Langdon to leave the room alone.

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:58 am
by Dexter Ford
Thinking quickly, he grabs Delores' hand. "I think I have something in my eye. I can't get it out." He blinks his eye rapidly. "I know the bathroom is in the hall. Quick, let's get this out." That way we can follow Hirt and Langdon on her hunch.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:55 am
by FrankyEsposito
This has all gone south, quickly. I don't like it. I don't like it at all. What would Vinnie do? Trick question. Vinnie wouldn't have gotten into this mess in the first place. Or would he? Maybe that's what... not the time to think about that. Also not the time to be too subtle.

I take out my service piece and flip the safety off. I hold it down against my leg, away from Miss Hirt, but where the others can see. I follow her -- as closely as I can -- to wherever she's going.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:43 pm
by Gaffer
Marlene moves quickly down the hallway, followed by Langdon. Dex, who's pulling Delores along by the wrist, keeps his eyes on Marlene. Esposito brings up the rear.

Dex reaches the bathroom door, turning the knob with his free hand. Marlene breaks for the kitchen, shoving the swinging door hard and going into the room.

A vicious, snarling growl alerts Dex to the night-black hound crouched, slavering in the bathroom, its glowing spittle hissing on the bathroom tiles, a whitish tuft of hair bristling down its spine. The huge animal opens impossibly wide jaws and lunges for Dex's wrist!
GRROWRRR,[attachment=0]Black Dog - snarl.jpg[/attachment]
[Dex, Delores and Franky make Stability rolls, plus any spend. Langdon isn't looking at the creature and so doesn't need to make a roll (unless he chooses to look).]
[Dex make a Scuffling roll to contest the dog's bite at your wrist -- you tell me which hand is on the doorknob and which holding Delores.]
[Franky, you can Shoot, but the dog is mostly in the bathroom and Delores is between you and Dex and the dog. Or you can do something else.]
[Langdon, do you attempt to follow Marlene? Or do you go back to the others -- Dex is between you and the dog and the others.]

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:52 pm
by Dexter Ford
(OOC: GAH!)

Dex is startled by the dog.
Stability roll: 1d6=4
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2512859/
I'll spend 4 Stability to ensure I hold on against the creature.
Stability: roll of 4 plus 4 spend=8

Dex steps back, or tries to, letting go of Delores' hand with his left hand, and trying to scramble for the revolver in his pocket with the right, which had been opening the door.
Scuffling roll: 1d6=5
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2512862/
I'll spend 5 of my Scuffling to ensure I don't get bit and make sure that Delores doesn't as well.
Scuffling: roll of 5 plus 5 spend=10

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:56 pm
by Langdon
Hurriedly, hands shaking, "Marlene, if you have anything to help us, now's the time!" I stay close to her, shielding her from the beast, even though it seems to be more 'interested' in Dex than our patroness.

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:43 pm
by FrankyEsposito
Stability: 1d3 = 3

Damn. Can't take a shot -- too many people in the way. Someone remind me why they're here again?

I move in closer, trying to get a good shot. If it comes to it, I'll knock Delores out of the way. "Get down!"

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:44 am
by Gaffer
Langdon disappears into the kitchen on Marlene's trail.
Dex,Stability roll: 4+4spend=8 [color=#FF0000]PASS[/color]
Delores,Stability roll needed
Franky,Stability roll: 3 [color=#FF0000]FAIL [b]lose 1 Stability[/b][/color]
Roll,[color=#FF4000]Dex rolls 5+5spend=10; Black Dog rolls 1=1 Black Dog [/color][color=#FF0000]FAIL[/color]
Dex feels a tug at his wrist as a fang snags his cuff just before the jaws snap on the brass doorknob with a clank! The fabric gives way and he staggers back, putting his body between Delores and the beast, pinning her against the wall opposite the bathroom. His right hand fumbles for his jacket pocket and finds it, fingers closing on the cool, smooth grip of his revolver.

Esposito, shaken by the sight of the dog and the memories it evokes, advances down the hall, his revolver extended at arm's length, waiting for a clear shot.

The dog gathers itself to spring, eyes on Dex's throat.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:00 am
by Gaffer
Langdon,You push through the kitchen door after Marlene and almost run right into her. She smiles and takes your face in both hands.[color=#0000BF] "My name is Merivana Azaff,"[/color] she murmurs. She kisses you hard and deep, chuckles, and backs a step away. Touching the necklace at her throat she says,[color=#0000BF] "Eat a hire. Kiss him."[/color] The light in the room pales and goes silvery. Behind her, you momentarily behold the nightmare city you glimpsed through the broken window just last night –- cyclopean black towers looming over misty streets, winged things flitting through the air, and a terrible pale tower stretching into the heavens. Then Marlene -- Merivana? -- is going... [i]away[/i], shrinking and moving in a direction you can't quite name even though she's perfectly motionless. With a last, distant, throaty laugh, she's gone and the room is filled with sunlight again. [color=#FF4000][Make a Stability check.][/color]

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:16 pm
by Dexter Ford
Dex will fire at the dog, protecting Delores at all costs.

Rolls 1d6 = 5
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2513920/
OOC,Can .38 revolvers fire more than once in a round like they can in BRP? If so Dex will try to plug the dog twice.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:52 pm
by Langdon
Keeper,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2513956/]Stability Roll: 1d6 = 1[/url] [OOC: eep!]

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:12 pm
by Gaffer
Langdon,Stability roll: 1[color=#FF0000] FAIL lose 4 Stability.[/color]
Langdon,You discover two things at once: Your legs feel made of rubber, hardly able to support you, and your mouth is [u]very[/u] dry. You better get a glass of water and sit down at the kitchen table. You're also sweating profusely. You're vaguely aware of shouts and screams and gunshots on the other side of the kitchen door.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:19 pm
by Langdon
Oh god oh god oh god oh god... I stumble against the kitchen counter, grabbing at the sink to keep myself up. Merivana Azaff... Merivana Azaff... I am not going to forget this name. I have to remember it to tell the others. I turn on the tap and hold my head down next to it, slurping loudly, so very thirsty. I breathe a sigh of relief and wipe the bit of water from my cheek. Then wipe again. Sweat. Wiping again as I reach for a glass. Taking off my jacket as I fill the glass and collapse into the chair.

I stare blankly at the wall of the kitchen, legs splayed out under the table, even as I hear noises from the hall. Unpleasant noises. Like an alarm clock when I'm dreaming.

Still sweating, I unbutton my shirt and loll back into the chair, feeling utterly exhausted.

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:54 pm
by FrankyEsposito
This is bad. Never should've gone back to Red Hook. Shit.

"Vinnie, get out of the damned way! You're in my line of fire."
Roll,As soon as I can get a [i]clear[/i] shot I'll take it. I'll spend 2 points... [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2515701/]1d6+2= 4[/url]

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:58 pm
by Gaffer
[Go ahead and roll it.]

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:44 pm
by Gaffer
Rolls,Black Dog Scuffle roll: 4+3spend=7 vs 4 hit threshold; [color=#FF4000]PASS[/color] damage 3=3damage to Dex Dex Revolver roll: 5=5 vs 4 hit threshold; [color=#FF4000]PASS[/color] damage 3+2 pointblank=5 damage to BD Franky Revolver roll: 2+2spend=4 vs 4 hit threshold; [color=#FF4000]PASS[/color] damage 3 to BD
The dog springs at Dex, just as Esposito fires, hitting the beast in the flank.

Dex gets his left hand up to protect his throat, but the fearsome jaw crushes his wrist!

His revolver still in his pocket, Dex jams the barrel into the rank, furry belly and fires!

The beast, its eyes just inches from Dex's own, growls and shakes its head from side to side, tearing cloth and flesh.

A cold, dank wind seems to rush through the apartment.
Dex,[color=#FF0000]3 damage.[/color]
[OOC - I'll want an Athletics roll from Dex to stay on his feet. Dex and Franky may continue firing, but Dex will be reduced by 1 due to the Black Dog worrying at his wrist (plus his revolver is still in his pocket).]

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:41 pm
by FrankyEsposito
Damn, this dog is... unreal. It's like those bullets didn't even slow it down.

I move right up to it and kick it as hard as I can, right in the ribs.
Roll,Scuffling, 2 point spend [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2515839/]1d6+2 = 7[/url]

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:24 pm
by Dexter Ford
Dex continues to fire through his jacket, since the creature is point blank. He also tries to stay on his feet as the dog gnaws at his now bleeding arm.

Shooting roll:
OOC: I'll spend two on the shooting. 1d6+2=5.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2515895/

Athletics roll:
1d6=5
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2515904/

OOC: The spoiler button is frustrating me tonight.

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:57 pm
by Gaffer
Rolls,Dex Athletics roll: 5 vs 4 target; [color=#FF0000]PASS[/color] Black Dog Athletics (Fleeing) roll: 1+6spend=7; [color=#FF0000]PASS[/color] Dex Revolver roll: 3+2=5 vs 3 hit threshold; [color=#FF0000]PASS[/color] damage 2 (no longer pointblank) to BD Franky Scuffle roll: 5+2spend=7 vs 6 hit threshold; [color=#FF0000]PASS[/color] damage 2 to BD
With a keening howl, the hound abruptly releases Dex's arm and lurches to the side. Dex fires and sees a long, bloody furrow open along the scrambling creature's flank. He staggers, but keeps his footing.

Franky's kick misses the retreating beast, but he too manages to stay on his feet.

The black dog scurries down the hallway and into a bedroom, leaving gouts of dark, steaming blood on the polished floorboards.
Delores,I'm making a Stability roll for you: 4 [color=#FF4000]PASS[/color] And an Athletics roll: 1 vs 4 target:[color=#FF4000] FAIL[/color]
Delores is almost knocked down by Dex's efforts to stay on his feet. The picture frame has slipped from Delores's grasp. The glass is broken and the corner of the frame has come apart.

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:51 pm
by Dexter Ford
Dex pulls the revolver free, and fires at the retreating dog. He'll worry about the bleeding once the threat is eliminated...and that means Miss Hirt as well. If he can do so that is.

Fires, spending 3 to make sure he hits.
1d6+3=6 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2516445/

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:26 am
by Gaffer
Rolls,[Dex Revolver roll: 3+3=6 vs 4 target;[color=#FF4000] PASS[/color] damage 2 to BD]
Trying not to be knocked down, Delores grabs Dex's coat; Franky reaches out a hand to steady her. Despite the distraction, Dex's shot is on target, clipping off the last few inches of the hound's tail as it dives into the bedroom, then smacking into the door frame. There is a loud yelp, then silence.
Black Dog.jpg
Dex cradles his injured wrist, the lining of his jacket smoldering slightly. Franky steadies Delores with a hand on her shoulder (or is he steadying himself?)

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:17 am
by FrankyEsposito
It takes me a second to recover. When I can think again I slam the bedroom door closed.

I'm not 100% convinced that it will do any good, but better safe than sorry. More sorry.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:28 am
by Gaffer
Esposito makes his way down the hall, avoiding the blood on the floorboards. The door frame is cracked several inches above and below the bullet hole. The severed end of the dog's tail lies on the floor just outside the bedroom door.

Dex notices that the cuff of his jacket -- in addition to being torn and rapidly soaking through with blood -- is dissolving in a couple of places.

Delores stoops to retrieve the picture frame which kind of comes apart in her hands, the corner broken, as well as the glass. The two photos come loose in her hands.
Spoiler:
Franky, As you reach for the doorknob, you don't see any dog in the bedroom, though a rug at the foot of the bed has a brownish stain that is ... smoking? ...slightly.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:27 pm
by Dexter Ford
Dex yanks off the coat, tossing it to the floor. He then quickly recovers whatever is in the pockets, leaving the smoldering mess to dissolve. He then turns to Delores, asking if she is okay. He looks Esposito. "Did you hit that thing? Is it dead? And where the hell is Langdon?"

Dex rips off his shirt sleeve, still adrenalin running through his body, and he wraps it around his wounded arm to try and soak up some of the bandage. He looks at Esposito as he breaks open the revolver, and tries to reload one handed with the one and only speed-loader in his pocket. "God this hurts."

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:04 pm
by Gaffer
Dexter Ford wrote:Dex yanks off the coat, tossing it to the floor. He then quickly recovers whatever is in the pockets, leaving the smoldering mess to dissolve. He then turns to Delores, asking if she is okay. He looks Esposito. "Did you hit that thing? Is it dead? And where the hell is Langdon?" Dex rips off his shirt sleeve, still adrenalin running through his body, and he wraps it around his wounded arm to try and soak up some of the bandage. He looks at Esposito as he breaks open the revolver, and tries to reload one handed with the one and only speed-loader in his pocket. "God this hurts."
Dex's wrist is badly lacerated and punctured in several places, all bleeding freely. It also feels like it might be broken. His left hand can move, but the fingers are weak and a bit numb. It needs a better bandage than a shirt sleeve and some iodine would probably be a good idea, and a sling -- maybe a splint. He had to thrust his revolver into his waistband to ease the jacket off with Delores's help. He can reload while cradling the revolver in the crook of his injured arm.

Delores looks to be physically unhurt.
OOC,The lining is smoldering from firing the revolver through the pocket. The sleeve is suffering from the effects of Black Dog drool.
Dex's blood is beginning to pitter-pat on the floor.

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:24 am
by Dexter Ford
Dex looks at the spattering blood and the inability to to really flex. "Damn, damn...broken wrist, and it really hurts." He'll stumble to the bathroom, where he was sure he saw some bandages and most likely a bottle of iodine. Who doesn't have one of those these days? Esposito can handle the damn dog, and Delores, if she snaps out of it, might be able to wrap the bandage. But Dex knows a visit to Roosevelt Hospital is in his future...

OOC: Not really having any adds in First Aid, Dex will do his best to try and stop the bleeding.
Dex rolls First Aid: 1d6 =3
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2523575/

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:35 pm
by Delores Brown
Breathing heavily, Delores manages to shake herself out of the funk she was in. She stares wildly at Dex, her eyes focussing on the blood dripping from his hand. Trying to banish the sight of the snarling fangs from her mind, she pulls one of the towels from the towel rail and shakily starts to tie it around Dex's wrist, leaning against him as she does so, as if trying to shelter herself from recent events.

She looks up from knotted towel and says suddenly, "Marlene? Where did she go? We need to find her Dex!"
OOC,A thousand apologies for my lack of posts - real life has rather got in the way of late. And in the middle of the action scene as well! :oops:

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:12 pm
by Gaffer
OOC,Sorry to do some NPCing here, folks, but I'm getting ready for my trip tomorrow and wanted to give you all something to play with over the weekend. And you should rerad Langdon's Tue May 11, 2010 1:19 pm post now that I've removed the spoilers. It's a pip.
Rolls,Dex First Aid roll: 3=3 vs 4 target; [color=#FF4000]FAIL[/color] Delores First Aid roll: 5=5 vs 3 target; [color=#FF4000]PASS[/color]
Dex finds the iodine in the medicine cabinet. Holding his arm over the basin, Delores pours most of the bottle's contents over his wrist. The sting takes his mind off the throbbing ache underlying it. The towel Delores wraps around Dex's wrist slows the bleeding to a slow seep along each of the several lacerations and from the multiple punctures.

Franky closes the bedroom door and proceeds to the kitchen. Shoving the door open, pistol poised, he finds Langdon alone, sprawled in a chair at the kitchen table with a glass of water held in both hands. His bow tie is undone, his collar open, his jacket flung over another chair. His hair is matted with sweat and his shirt is damp. His eyes seem a bit unfocused. "Merivana Azaff," he says.

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:22 pm
by FrankyEsposito
OOC,Sorry about that -- seems the board has stopped sending notifications again.
Gun clenched in both hands, I clear the room. Where can this dame have gotten to? I spare a quick glance at Langdon -- he doesn't look so good -- then back to scanning to see where 'Marlene' could have gone.

"Vilas? You alright? Which way did she go?"

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:30 pm
by Langdon
"Wha-" Straightening up in the chair, looking pale, hands trembling just slightly as I button up my shirt. "Who? Dolores? I thought she was with you? She's alright, isn't she?"

I lean forward, hands pushing against the table because my legs just don't want to do the work of standing up. Then I slump back. "You were right. Marlene is not Marlene. She's Mericana Azaff. And... " I start blankly at the wall for a moment, eyes watering, shivering as if shaking off a terrible nightmare. "...she..." oh god there's no right word for this "...left. Sh'es gone."

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:19 pm
by FrankyEsposito
I snap another quick look back at Langdon -- has he lost his marbles?

"I know she's gone, damn it. Which way did she go?

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:07 am
by Dexter Ford
Dex looks to Delores, still feeling the broken bits and the blood seeping, gritting his teeth against the pain.

"Kitchen or living room maybe...but I am still worried about the dog. Or whatever the hell that thing is..."

Dex waits to follow Delores, somewhat losing control of his focus as the pain sets in and the adrenalin fades.

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:01 pm
by Gaffer
OOC,Go ahead and look for "Marlene." You won't find her in the apartment. (And the back door in the kitchen is bolted from the inside.) Esposito hears the sound of a car starting in the alley below the kitchen, looking out, he sees a red coupe turning into the street. In the hallway, all the puddles and splashes of the beast's blood have evaporated, the surface of the floorboards bleached and pitted. The rug in the bedroom has a hole eaten through it. Listen to Langdon's story. Let Dex show you the evidence they uncovered last night. When you gather up the two photographs, each has writing on the back: "Alphonse, 1930" and "Marlene, 1930."

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:12 pm
by Langdon
Clearly unsettled, I point to the back wall of the kitchen. "You won't believe me, but I swear by god she went through that wall." I struggle to get up and just sit back down. "She said something strange... 'Eat a hire. Kiss him.' You don't think she means to eat me, do you? ...and then the wall was gone, and there was" I shudder and swallow hard, "there was this city. Oh god it was horrible. And she just sank right into it, through the wall..."

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:02 pm
by FrankyEsposito
The kid has definitely lost his marbles. Right? Right?

"Anybody see a telephone in this joint?"

Once I find a phone I call in her plate number. I also tell them to use extreme caution -- despite appearances she's armed and very dangerous.

Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:24 am
by Delores Brown
Delores pushes out of the bathroom, quickly scans the hall to make sure the dog has definitely gone and follows the sound of voices to the kitchen. She enters in time to hear 'And she just sank right into it, through the wall...'. She glances around then looks back at Langdon. "Where's 'Marlene' gone? Did you let her get away?"

Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:49 pm
by Dexter Ford
Dex stumbles along behind Delores as she heads to the kitchen. His revolver is jammed into his waistband, his shirt untucked, missing one sleeve, the other arm swelling and turning a bit black and blue from the break. He craddles the hand cautiously. Dex looks at all of them. "Is she dead, Langdon? Or did she escape?" He looked at the detective, but his question was for Langdon. "Now do you believe she isn't who she says she is? Do we ALL agree she has a lot to answer for?"

Dex then slumps down to the floor, pointing out the scratches marks on the kitchen tile. "There's all the evidence we need that she and that damned dog were here once before. I think I need a doctor. Damn, this hurts as much as getting shot by one of Capone's boys."

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:56 pm
by Langdon
I snap at Delores, "No. Miss Brown. I didn't let her get away." my legs tremble as I struggle into a standing position, leaning heavily on the table for support. "She vanished. Impossibly." I stagger over to the wall. Pounding on it with each word for emphasis. "Through. This. Wall."

I almost lean against the wall to hold myself up, then recall what I'd seen, and rest against the counter instead. "I believe you all now. She's not Marlene Hirt. She said her name was Merivana Azaff." I lurch to the center of the kitchen where we had been standing. "Then she kissed me and said 'Eat a hire. Kiss him.'" I gesture at the back wall. "Then the wall disappeared, like a window on a strange city. And Merivana ...shrank..." unsure of what word to use to describe that impossible movement, "into it. And then she was gone."

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:59 am
by Gaffer
Franky,It will take a little while to trace the registration of the coupe. They'll call you back at this number. But the name "Merivana [b]Azaff[/b] rings a bell, something from the Suydam case.
Dex,Something about Langdon's story rings a bell; maybe something from that book.
Delores,Something about Langdon's story rings a bell; maybe something from those books.
As Esposito hangs up the phone in the study, the door buzzer sounds in short staccato bursts, clearly heard by Langdon, Delores and Dex in the kitchen. Esposito left the back door open after looking out to see the red coupe, then hurrying off to the phone.

A faint smell of cordite hangs in the air, dispersing in the breeze from the back door. In the hallway, the puddles and splashes of the beast's blood have evaporated, leaving the surface of the floorboards bleached and pitted. The bedroom door is closed, but the bullet hole in the door frame is still visible.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:40 pm
by Dexter Ford
Dex shakes his head, still sitting on the floor, cradling his damaged arm. "Langdon, are you sure she said 'eat a hire kiss him'? I am not sure, but those don't sound like the words she might have actually said. I wonder if it is something in Arabic, something from one of the books I read?" Dex closes his eyes for a moment and tries to recall something from the musty books he had been reading.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:53 pm
by Langdon
"I hope that's not what she said, Dex. Think about it. Eat a hire. Who's the hire? Me! And who did she kiss?" If I weren't already so pale, I'd be paler.
OOC,I'd like to spend a point of languages to be able to identify and understand what she said. Perhaps at the time I was simply too much in shock and terrified to realize what she was really saying

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:25 pm
by FrankyEsposito
Something Langdon said itches my brain. I take out my notebook and start flipping through it.

"Vilas, what did you say her name was?"

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:28 pm
by Langdon
I take a deep breath, "Merivana Azaff." Then exhale slowly and fully.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:48 pm
by FrankyEsposito
"Azaff... Azaff... Yes, here it is! Hinderin Azaff, convicted in the Suydam case. Died in prison in 1930. This dame could be his daughter, I suppose. If that's really her name."

I head back to the phone to call in and see if she has a record.

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:39 am
by Gaffer
The buzzing becomes more insistent and is joined by a continuous knocking. Then Myron Hirsch's nasally voice is added: "Miss Hirt? Miss Hirt, are you alright? Miss Hirt?!"
Langdon,As you think about it more calmly, it wasn't so much English words as phonetic syllables. They might mean anything.

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:26 pm
by Delores Brown
"I read something in one of those books," said Delores thoughtfully, "Something about a cult beleiving that they could creat a... ... pathway... ... to another city..." She looked at Langdon keenly. "Describe to me what you saw."

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:37 pm
by Langdon
Flatly, mustering all the control I can. "No." fist clenched and trembling slightly

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:07 pm
by Dexter Ford
Dex looks at all the others.

"Is there anything else we can learn from here? Let's get out of here and discuss this someplace more calmly and securely. Besides, I need a visit to a doctor or a hospital."

Dex stands up using the wall as a brace.

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:40 pm
by Gaffer
BUZZBUZZBUZZZZ! POUND! POUND! POUND!!! BBBUUUUZZZZZZZZZ!!!

"Officer Esposito! If someone doesn't open this door right now, I'm calling the precinct!" Myron sounds most insistent, almost panicky, "Someone heard gunshots!!"

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:19 pm
by FrankyEsposito
Apparently I'm the only one here who can open a door. I'm fuming by the time I get there. I fling it open and stare at the little man.

"I'd suggest you go back to studying your law books, Mr. Hirsch." My tone leave no room for nonsense.

"Capische?"

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:56 pm
by Gaffer
Myron draws himself up to his full height (such as it is) and fairly bristles with indignation.

"You can't intimidate me, Officer! I know the Law. As a duly authorized representative of the owners of this apartment house, I have the right and responsibility to enter these premises in the event of a disturbance. Mrs. Wolcott next door is in a tizzy. She said she heard gunshots!

"I want to see Miss Hirt and I want to inspect these premises right now."

Unless physically prevented, he will brush past you into the living room.

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:56 pm
by FrankyEsposito
I block the door. "Mr. Hirsch..." I've gone from no-nonsense to full-on cop mode. "If you set foot inside this apartment I'll have you in handcuffs so fast your head will be spinning for days."

I let him chew on that one for a second. "You want to help? Go tell Mrs. Grundy -- and anyone else that asks -- that the police are already here and the situation is under control."

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:25 pm
by Gaffer
"But... but as the duly..." Myron chews on being arrested and what that might mean for his legal career, "Well, if you will assure me that Miss Hirt is not injured and that I... that is, the owners will get a full report and compensation for any damages..." He's on tiptoe, weaving and trying to see past Esposito. "...and that Mr. Hirt will be duly compensated to damages to his personal property. Well... Could you talk to me before you leave the building and let me know what happened, please?"

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:34 pm
by FrankyEsposito
"Absolutely. I'll be sure and give you a full report."

I'm not sure what I'll report, exactly. But I'm going to have to report it eventually.

Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:54 pm
by Dexter Ford
Dex stands up and begins to open the back door to the fire escape, looking down at the long climb to the ground floor. Instead he walks to the hall closet (or to the bedroom if necessary) and finds one of Hirt's coats, and slides it over his shoulders to hide his injured arm. "I am headed to the hospital. If you need me, call my office." The throbbing pain of the broken and wounded arm, still dripping blood, is a bit much to handle, quickly becoming as bad as being shot.

Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:35 pm
by Gaffer
Dexter Ford wrote:Dex <snip> walks to the hall closet (or to the bedroom if necessary) and finds one of Hirt's coats, and slides it over his shoulders to hide his injured arm. "I am headed to the hospital. If you need me, call my office." The throbbing pain of the broken and wounded arm, still dripping blood, is a bit much to handle, quickly becoming as bad as being shot.
Esposito doesn't manage to block Myron's view of Dex coming out of the kitchen and down the hall.

"My God! Mr. Ford, you've been injured!" With Esposito distracted, Myron manages to slip past him into the apartment. "You won't be able to drive yourself to the hospital like that. Let me do it. There's a doctor very nearby -- and very discreet. Is anyone else hurt? Is Miss Hirt alright? Were you shot?" He gives Esposito an accusatory look.

Myron bustles around, getting an old overcoat from the hall closet to wrap around Dex's shoulders. The revolver almost slips from the detective's waistband and Myron reaches for it.

"Do you want me to carry this for you?"

Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:22 pm
by Dexter Ford
Dex very cautiously holds his uninjured hand out. "I'll hold onto my revolver Myron." Some days he wishes he carried his back up weapon. "Myron, I'll take the chances with a hospital. Miss Hirt and her devil dog are what attacked me. I am quite surprised you didn't see the two of them racing down the stairs. What am I going to say to your employer about your allowing a vicious animal like that into the building?"

OOC: Dex will use Assess Honesty to see if Myron is being a little too helpful, given the recent attack by Miss Hirt. If Myron doesn't give the gun back, Dex will use Athletics or Scuffling to get his weapon back before Myron does something stupid.

Assess Honesty: Spend 1, 1d6+1=3
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2540462/
Athletics: Spend 2 (if necessary) 1d6+2=7
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2540466/

Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:04 am
by Gaffer
Rolls,Assess Honesty: 1d6+1=3 vs target 4; [color=#FF0000]FAIL[/color]. Myron seems genuinely concerned for your well-being. He didn't actually touch the revolver, just reached out to prevent it from falling.
"Right. Of course. The hospital it is then. I knew that dog would be trouble. I warned her about the complaints," he takes in the bullet hole in the door frame and the stained floorboards, "Oh my, I hope Mr. Hirt will understand about the damage." He adjusts the overcoat over Dex's shoulders and begins to shoo him toward the door. "Is your car out front? You'd better give me the keys. Don't worry, I'm an excellent driver."

Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:47 pm
by Dexter Ford
OOC: I am so going to regret this.

Myron, yes my car is out front.
Dex reaches for his keys and gives them to him. Drive straight to the hospital. He looks back at the others, and then follows the doorman downstairs.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:05 am
by Gaffer
Dex
Myron is very solicitous as he walks Dan to the car and drives the several blocks through light holiday traffic to the Downtown Hospital, parking at the curb. Inside, Dex is taken to an examining room. A middle-aged nurse removes the crude bandage. after a few minutes, a young doctor comes in and examines the injury, causing some little pain.

"I don't believe anything is broken, just bruising and crushing to the ligaments and tendons, though I can't rule out a cracked radius. Should have a splint and a sling, just to be on the safe side. I'll take some stitches in the worst of these lacerations and irrigate the deeper punctures to forestall infection. Must have been a big dog. I expect it was vaccinated against rabies?"

Franky
Back at the apartment, Esposito pokes around the study. It’s hard to reconcile (Library Use) the haphazard arrangement of some of the bookshelves -- few books that are carelessly stacked or fallen over, some turned the opposite way -- with other shelves neatly stocked, mostly with generic volumes like dictionaries, an encyclopedia set, an atlas, various sets of leatherbound classics – Shakespeare, Poe, Dickens, Twain, Stevenson, Kipling, etc. It seems incongruous.

Franky makes a quick search of Hirt's desk (Evidence Collection). The two left-hand drawers are deeper and completely empty, except for a couple of paper clips at the back and some little chads of cardboard that fall off of new file folders. The three right-hand drawers contain a variety of office and stationary supplies – letter paper and envelopes embossed with Hirt’s name and address, stamps, paper clips, rubber bands, pencils, pens, ink, a magnifying glass, typewriter eraser and ribbons, paste and rubber cement, scissors. There’s an unwrapped ream of typing paper and part of another. The long center drawer holds a clutter of paper and notes – a reminder about dinner at the Harvard Club, a grocery list, a book of street maps of New York City (the south Brooklyn section dog-eared and foxed), and a bill of sale from Koslov’s Art at 23 Thomas Street for a painting purchased on August 21 for $150.In one drawer is a well-thumbed book of street maps of New York City, .

He also notices (Evidence Collection) that the living room rug has been knocked askew (probably because it's cheap and new, the edges curled a bit) and that the hardwood floor underneath is damaged. Flipping the rug back, he discovers two sets of gouges separated by about two feet, each comprised of four parallel grooves about an inch apart. The dark stains in the gouges are possibly blood (Forensics).

Delores
Delores notes that the kitchen is very art moderne – lots of chrome and streamlined appliances, a black-and-white tiled floor. There is nothing in the refrigerator but some soured milk. The bread in the bread box is moldy. The cupboards and drawers are filled with mundane articles. A carving knife is missing from the knife block on the counter. She can easily see the scratches on the floor tiles that Dex pointed out: four parallel grooves in the hard surface, about an inch apart. There’s a deep gouge on one cabinet door and a broken pane of glass in the back door leading out to the fire escape. (Evidence Collection) It seems there was a struggle of some kind.

Phone
The phone rings in the study and Esposito answers. It's the records clerk from Motor Vehicles. New York license plate AYB-843 is registered to a red 1932 Ford Coupé owned by Miss Marlene Hirt, address 1288 Lexington Avenue, Manhattan. That's uptown on the east side near Central Park. No wants, no warrants.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:06 pm
by FrankyEsposito
I scribble all the important bits in my notebook. I'm going to need to go art shopping. I gather the other two into the kitchen to compare notes.

"I'm going to call this in to the station house. I need them to send a couple uniforms down here to collect the evidence. We need to pay a visit to Koslov's Art -- that's the second time the name has popped up. And I have an address for 'Marlene Hirt.' We'll want to check that out."

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:34 pm
by Langdon
OOC,It's been a hectic weekend with moving. I'm a little lost this morning. I hope to get something posted this afternoon. Or later this morning after the coffee kicks in

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:29 am
by Dexter Ford
Dex, not the mysteriously renamed Dan [humble apologies, ed.], nods to the doctor. "Do what you need to do doctor. I am pretty sure I don't have to worry about rabies, but if I don't feel right in a day or so, I'll check back in." When he is done, he will pay the bill out of the money in his wallet, if not, he will ask to be billed, using his business card and his detective license to show he is good for it. If Myron is still about, he will thank him and ask if he needs to be driven back home.

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:53 pm
by Langdon
"Excuse me... Detective Esposito? Perhaps we should reassure the neighbors that everything is under control, that you - that is the police - are looking into the matter, and that they needn't worry or call for any more 'help.' "

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:00 pm
by Gaffer
Dexter Ford wrote:Dex nods to the doctor. "Do what you need to do doctor. I am pretty sure I don't have to worry about rabies, but if I don't feel right in a day or so, I'll check back in."
"I'm afraid by the time you exhibit symptoms, it will be too late. Pull up your shirt and lie back." He then injects the rabies serum directly into Dex's abdominal muscles. "Come see me every morning for the next five days -- through Saturday -- for another of those. It should prevent you from developing rabies."

The cashier takes ten dollars for examination, treatment of the wound and the injection. It'll be two dollars for each of the subsequent injections.

With the splint and sling, the throbbing ache of the wrist, and the lingering pain of the injection, there's no way Dex can maneuver his Ford through the city traffic. Fortunately, Myron is still in the waiting room.

"I'll drive you back to the building, Mr. Ford. If you want, you can wait in Mr. Hirt's apartment until I get off at six and I'll drive you home. Where do you live?"

The beautiful afternoon weather -- breezy and about seventy degrees -- somehow fails to make Dex feel better.

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:11 pm
by FrankyEsposito
Langdon wrote:"Excuse me... Detective Esposito? Perhaps we should reassure the neighbors that everything is under control, that you - that is the police - are looking into the matter, and that they needn't worry or call for any more 'help.' "
"Yeah, yeah. I'm sure there's a crowd forming already."

I head out into the hallway to look for thrill seekers. I flash my badge at them. "Nothing to see here, people. Everything is fine. Go home."

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:16 pm
by Dexter Ford
Gaffer wrote: With the splint and sling, the throbbing ache of the wrist, and the lingering pain of the injection, there's no way Dex can maneuver his Ford through the city traffic. Fortunately, Myron is still in the waiting room.

"I'll drive you back to the building, Mr. Ford. If you want, you can wait in Mr. Hirt's apartment until I get off at six and I'll drive you home. Where do you live?"

The beautiful afternoon weather -- breezy and about seventy degrees -- somehow fails to make Dex feel better.
Dex sighs when he sees Myron, but then nods his head. He gives him the address to the office, but mentions stopping by a pharmacy to pick up some aspirin. He folds the hospital bill in his pocket, and places the revolver back into the jacket pocket. He sits back in the passenger seat and looks out the window. "Myron, how many times have you seen Miss Hirt in the building since Mr. Hirt disappeared? Have you ever seen her there before Mr. Hirt's absence was noticed?" He sticks his hand in the jacket pocket with the reloaded revolver, resting his fingers on the butt of the gun. "Myron, any reason you are being so helpful? Not that I mind the assistance, but frankly when we first met, you didn't seem to be the type to be so....useful. More of the annoying type at first glance...officious and all."

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:37 pm
by Gaffer
Franky
In the hall is one middle-aged woman and one older gentleman.

"I'm Mrs. Wolcott from 301, next door," she quavers, "Did I hear... gunshots?"

"Course it was gunshots, Mavis, already told you that. Heard enough of 'em in the Army, didn't I?" He extends his hand, "Col. Deutsch, retired, 203 downstairs. Need any assistance young feller?"

Assured that there is no danger and that Esposito has plenty of help, they start to return to their apartments. The colonel goes into the stairwell. At her door, Mrs. Wolcott, turns back.

"Do make them get rid of that awful dog, officer. It's so noisy."

Dex
Myron watches the traffic as he replies, "I take my job very seriously, Mr. Ford, just like you. I'm not a man of action, but I... admire men who are. I just want to help, I guess." He glances at Dex.

"As to Miss Hirt, I never saw her before a couple of months ago, when she began going in and out with Mr. Hirt. He never introduced her to me -- some people think people in jobs like mine are insignificant. Then about a week ago, she came in alone and introduced herself, very nice. She said she hadn't heard from her brother for a couple of days and was worried. I offered to let her in to his apartment, but she said she had a key. Since then, she's been in every couple of days."

He pulls over to the curb and sets the handbrake. "Here's the pharmacy. I'll be right out with your aspirin."

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:14 pm
by FrankyEsposito
Gaffer wrote:At her door, Mrs. Wolcott, turns back.

"Do make them get rid of that awful dog, officer. It's so noisy."
I try not to smile at the unflappable Mrs. Wolcott. "Yes, ma'am."

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:56 pm
by Langdon
Finally feeling somewhat recovered, though my face is still flushed, I stand slowly. "What happened? I came into the kitchen with ... her ... and she disappeared. You three were out in the hall shooting and shouting at something?"

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:16 pm
by Delores Brown
"I asked you what you saw and you didn't want to talk about it," said Delores tartly. "We were attacked by that devil dog, whilst you were in there..." she nods to the kitchen, "... with Marlene." Despite everything, she can't help herself but to be snide towards Langdon - there's just something about him that rubs her up the wrong way.

The mention of Marlene reminds Delores of the photos. "I'll be right back," she says, and steps smartly into the next room and scoops the broken picture from the floor. She pulls the pictures from the frame and studies them.

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:26 pm
by FrankyEsposito
I walk back in and see Delores picking up the picture. "You're not tampering with evidence are you, Miss Brown?" I give her a quick wink so she knows I'm just stringing her on.

I go to the kitchen and come back with a broom. "Slip those in your purse before the flatfoots get here." I sweep up the broken glass and picture frame and toss them in the trash.

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:28 pm
by Langdon
"Now see here Dolores!" I start as she walks out of the room. When she returns I stand mute. If that's how she wants to play it, so be it. Let Esposito and Dex do the story-comparing. I've had enough stress in this apartment already!

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:55 am
by Dexter Ford
Gaffer wrote: Dex
Myron watches the traffic as he replies, "I take my job very seriously, Mr. Ford, just like you. I'm not a man of action, but I... admire men who are. I just want to help, I guess." He glances at Dex.

"As to Miss Hirt, I never saw her before a couple of months ago, when she began going in and out with Mr. Hirt. He never introduced her to me -- some people think people in jobs like mine are insignificant. Then about a week ago, she came in alone and introduced herself, very nice. She said she hadn't heard from her brother for a couple of days and was worried. I offered to let her in to his apartment, but she said she had a key. Since then, she's been in every couple of days."

He pulls over to the curb and sets the handbrake. "Here's the pharmacy. I'll be right out with your aspirin."
Dex nods as Myron speaks, and when he heads into the pharmacy, after giving him a few bucks to pay for the aspirin, Dex pulls out his notebook and looks over the facts and dates that he has gathered. Assessing what Myron has told him, he wonders figures that Miss Hirt appeared right around the time Mr. Hirt began his investigation into this desert tribes and their religious cults. He double checks the notes, and when Myron approached, he slides the notebook back into his pocket.

"Myron, thank you for all your help. I have just one question, and it may seem an odd one, but who introduced you to Miss Hirt? Did Mr. Hirt ever say she was Miss Hirt, or did she only introduce herself as Mr. Hirt's sister after he disappeared. It may sound trivial as to timing, but it is important. Did she ever introduce herself, or did Mr Hirt introduce her as her sister, before he disappeared?"

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:30 am
by Gaffer
Dex
"As I say," Myron says, as he returns the money and hands Dex the bottle of pills, "He never deigned to introduce his sister to me. Only after she started coming around on her own, worried about her brother, did she trouble herself to make my acquaintance. The aspirin was only a quarter. My treat. We better get you home. You're looking a little green around the gills. "

He puts the car in gear and heads uptown.

Hirt's Apartment
Delores has just put the photos in her purse when the buzzer sounds, followed by some heavy knocking.

Two uniformed policemen are standing there.

"What's the rumpus?" says the older, heavier man, "Someone reported a disturbance and possible gunshots. Oh, hey, Esposito. You got here fast."

Esposito recognizes the speaker as Ed Mahoney, the cop on this beat. The other one's a rookie named Phipps.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:40 pm
by Delores Brown
Delores stuffed the photos into her purse and hung back behind Franky. He seemed to know the two men and she hoped he could deal with it all. She just wanted to get back to the office and start to write up the story - not that she was even sure where to start or how she could sell it to her Editor.

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:55 pm
by Langdon
OOC,not sure why this didn't post earlier :-/
I make myself presentable, wiping my brow with a towel, straightening my coat and shirt, before stepping back into the living room. If there are police here (other than the good detective Esposito) I don't want them to think I was skulking around, avoiding them.
Keeper,[Edit: let me know if his sweating/wobbly-knees condition still persists. I just realized the timeframe from the incident to now may be short enough that the condition could still be present]

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:45 pm
by FrankyEsposito
Gaffer wrote:"What's the rumpus?" says the older, heavier man, "Someone reported a disturbance and possible gunshots. Oh, hey, Esposito. You got here fast."
"Got here fast? Huh? No, no. I was here all along -- saw everything. We've got a missing persons case here, and some dame pretending to be the vic's sister. She sicced her dog on us and faded. One guy's in the hospital right now. Mahoney, come help me check and see if the dog's still alive. Shot the damned thing a couple times." I don't give them time to think or ask too many questions as I lead them towards the bedroom.

I turn to the rookie. "Phipps, right? Phone's in the other room. Get a car sent to 1288 Lex. Have them watch for a woman in a red '32 Ford Coupé. And check for any priors on a Merivana Azaff." I spell it for him. "Not sure on the first name, but the last one's pretty solid."

I've got my gun ready as we approach the bedroom. I've got no clue what we're going to find. "You ready, Mahoney?"

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:38 pm
by Gaffer
Langdon,I think the sweating and shakiness are mostly past, though he is probably still a bit jumpy.
Phipps goes right to the 'phone and calls the station house.

"I'm with you, Franky," Mahoney unholsters his revolver, holding it tight at his side and follows Esposito to the bedroom door, "What sorta dog is it?"

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:44 pm
by FrankyEsposito
"Dunno. Big, ugly bastard. And vicious. Took at least two, maybe three shots plus a solid kick in the ribs and kept going. Okay. I'm going in..."

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:30 am
by Gaffer
Hirt's Apartment
As Esposito's hand closed around the doorknob, Mahoney tapped his arm and pointed to the floor. About three inches of clipped-off tail lay beside a bleached and pitted section of floorboard. Franky's hand grew sweaty on the knob, but he tightened his grip and threw the door back against the wall, his and Mahoney's gun barrels sweeping the room. There was no dog in sight.

Franky crouched to look under the bed, but no dog there either. The closet door was closed, so was the window. Franky took a deep breath and wrenched the closet door open. He was disappointed not to be met with snarling fangs.

"No blood, Detective," muttered Mahoney. There were a couple of places where the polished floor was stripped and leached of color and the rug at the foot of the bed had a large hole with a brownish ring. Mahoney was wondering if some of the stories about Esposito's mental state might be true.

"Where's the dame that sicced 'im on ya? Maybe the dog ran off with her."

Dex
Myron noses the Ford into the curb not far from 721 5th Avenue and kills the motor. "Shall I see you upstairs, Mr. Ford? Or will you be alright from here? Oh, and might I trouble you for carfare? I'd rather not be out of pocket, though I was glad to help out."

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:32 am
by FrankyEsposito
"You're right, Mahoney. The dog must have gone with her."

Damned if I know how. Maybe she took all the blood with her, too.

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:47 pm
by Dexter Ford
Gaffer wrote:Dex
Myron noses the Ford into the curb not far from 721 5th Avenue and kills the motor. "Shall I see you upstairs, Mr. Ford? Or will you be alright from here? Oh, and might I trouble you for carfare? I'd rather not be out of pocket, though I was glad to help out."

Dex pulls five dollars out of his pocket. "Keep it, Myron and thank you for all your help." He fishes in his pants pocket for a crumbled business card. "If Miss Hirt comes by again, can you call my office and leave a message either with the secretary or the service? I doubt you will see her again or the dog, but if you do, please give me a ring." Dex will get out of the car, taking the keys with him, and he will wait in the lobby of his office building until Myron gets in a cab and leaves or he disappears down the street. He will then head for his office, letting himself in, and change into a spare shirt and his coat in the office. He will also unlock his desk drawer and pull out a his shoulder holster and spare weapon. A scotch will also help, as he sits back and thinks about everything that has happened.

(OOC: There are rules for two weapon use, I remember seeing it in the book when I ran a tabletop one shot two weeks ago. I'll find the page number for a reference later on.)

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:04 am
by Gaffer
Hirt's Apartment
Phipps comes to the door of the guest room and reports that a car has been dispatched as requested to watch for Marlene's coupe. There are no open warrants for anyone named Azaff and no priors on any Merivana Azaff.

"So you'll write this up, Detective? Let me know if you want anything from us." Mahoney and Phipps leave the apartment.

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:55 pm
by Langdon
"Excuse me, officers, but since Detective Esposito already took a statement from me, would it be alright if I stepped outside for some air?"

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:23 pm
by Gaffer
Langdon wrote:"Excuse me, officers, but since Detective Esposito already took a statement from me, would it be alright if I stepped outside for some air?"
Mahoney looks to Esposito for an answer.

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:51 pm
by FrankyEsposito
@#%!^ civilians. "Go ahead, Mr. Vilas. I'll be with you in a moment."

I turn back to Mahoney. "Guy's a little shaken up. I think I can take it from here, fellas. I appreciate your help -- I owe you one."

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:45 pm
by Delores Brown
Delores stepped up smartly to the doorway, waiting behind Franky as the cops left. She pulled the two photographs from her handbag as the cops walked down the stairs and studied them carefully.
OOC,Who's in the photos? I'm guessing it isn't the fake Marlene Hirt.

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:42 am
by Gaffer
There are two photos, one labeled "Alphonse, 1930" and one labeled "Marlene, 1930":
2 Alphonse_Hirt.jpg
3 Dorothy_Mandeville.jpg

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:14 pm
by FrankyEsposito
After Mahoney and ... whatever his name was are gone, I pull Langdon back into the apartment. "Get a hold on yourself, bub. We've got work to do."

I turn to Delores and see her checking out the photos of Alphonse and Marlene. "What do you think? That look like our dame to you?"

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:43 pm
by Gaffer
[OOC - The woman in the photo is definitely NOT the woman who has been representing herself as Marlene Hirt and has told Langdon that her name is Merivana Azaff.]

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:07 pm
by Langdon
"Work to do? What sort of work do you expect me to do, exactly?" It comes out more angrily than I mean it, and I swallow hard. "Sorry. It's just... Well you know it's been a strange evening to say the least. What can I do to help?"

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:20 pm
by FrankyEsposito
"First, we can all agree that this" -- I gesture at the picture of the real Marlene Hirt -- "is not the woman we've been dealing with who calls herself 'Marlene Hirt,' right?"

I give them only a second to consider. "Right. I need to go the the station house and start on warrants for Miss Azaff. Langdon, can you track down Dex and see how he is? Call me at the station. Delores, can you check out this art store? Koslov's at 23 Thomas Street. We know that Hirt bought a painting on August 21. See if anyone there has seen him since, all that jazz. Ask about this Azaff dame, too."

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:46 pm
by Delores Brown
"I think that's a given, don't you?" said Delores, "But we can check with the doorman at Miss Hirt's apartment - the 'real' Miss Hirt, that is - if that helps?"

She pulled out her notebook and made a quick note of the address of the store.
OOC,Which picture did Hirt buy? Did I miss something?

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:06 pm
by FrankyEsposito
"Oh, someone is going to pay a visit to Miss Hirt's apartment. Count on it. I just need to get some paperwork moving. We have to do this right so that Azaff doesn't walk. Of course, if we have reason to think that Miss Hirt might be in danger..."

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:10 pm
by FrankyEsposito
Delores Brown wrote:
OOC,Which picture did Hirt buy? Did I miss something?
Link,[url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=2303&p=99453#p99453]Here[/url]

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:25 pm
by Gaffer
[ooc - It sounds like everyone is ready to leave Hirt's apartment at this point, so I'll presume Esposito goes around securing the back door and such. Why doesn't everyone post in this thread what they plan to do with the rest of Monday.

You can certainly discuss further plans too; I'll posit that it's two o'clock and Dex has phoned the apartment to let you know what's happened to him. Myron hasn't gotten back yet.

Langdon could point something out to Esposito.]
hint,waders

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:30 pm
by Langdon
hint?,Waders??

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:46 pm
by FrankyEsposito
I'm going to head back to the station. Once there, I'll see if we've heard anything from the patrol car I sent out to Marlene Hirt's. (I did send one, didn't I? If I haven't yet, I'll do so immediately.) I don't expect that either she or Miss Azaff will be there, but it's worth a try.

I'm also going to start the paperwork for an arrest warrant for Miss Azaff. I'm not sure I can make a case for Grand Theft Auto (of Miss Hirt's car) but I'm going to work on that. I also want her for assault with a deadly weapon, aka the Hell Dog. Obstructing justice seems to fit also, as she's hindered me in my attempts to locate Alphonse Hirt. I'll add in anything else I think the judge will go for. Hopefully I'll be able to get it in front of a judge before the day is out.

If either Miss Hirt or Miss Azaff are found I'll go to them as soon as I'm done with the warrant.

If I've got time I'm going to give Zann a piece of my mind, too, for getting me into this thing -- and for getting civilians involved.

I'll phone Dex or drop in to check on him. I don't actually like him much, but I do feel bad that he took the brunt of Azaff's wrath. I'll also need to get a statement from him. In fact, I should probably do that before I get the warrant, but I'll take my chances that my eyewitness testimony will be enough for the judge.

Depending on how long that takes I'll either head out to the pub or back to the office to type up statements from Dex, Delores and Langdon as well as my own.

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:29 pm
by Delores Brown
Back to the office for Delores to catch-up, check for message and placate her editor, reassuring him that the story will be a biggie when it breaks.

She'll spend an hour or two there, getting some ideas down on paper before heading off to check out the purchase from Koslov’s Art. She'll place a call to Dex before she heads off, to check that he's ok and to let him know where she's going. She'll also leave a note on her desk with the address - just to be sure.

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:02 pm
by Gaffer
Langdon wrote:
hint?,Waders??
Remember this?,[quote]Quick scan through the closet in the entranceway. Signs it has already been rifled through?[/quote] It would be hard to tell, since it’s crammed full of too much stuff in too little space: a couple of overcoats, some hats, a duffle coat, old college textbooks, a box of assorted tools, a pair of mud-encrusted waders, overshoes & galoshes, a broken umbrella, a good umbrella, gift boxes, a lamp without a shade, a flashlight. [color=#FF4000]Langdon observes (Outdoorsman) that Hirt must have been tramping along a shoreline in the waders.[/color]

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:04 pm
by Gaffer
Delores Brown wrote:Back to the office for Delores to catch-up, check for message and placate her editor, reassuring him that the story will be a biggie when it breaks.

She'll spend an hour or two there, getting some ideas down on paper before heading off to check out the purchase from Koslov’s Art. She'll place a call to Dex before she heads off, to check that he's ok and to let him know where she's going. She'll also leave a note on her desk with the address - just to be sure.
Koslov's Art is just a few doors away from Hirt's apartment, if you want to save the carfare. Your editor will accept a phone call.

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:09 pm
by Gaffer
FrankyEsposito wrote:I'm also going to start the paperwork for an arrest warrant for Miss Azaff. I'm not sure I can make a case for Grand Theft Auto (of Miss Hirt's car) but I'm going to work on that. I also want her for assault with a deadly weapon, aka the Hell Dog. Obstructing justice seems to fit also, as she's hindered me in my attempts to locate Alphonse Hirt. I'll add in anything else I think the judge will go for. Hopefully I'll be able to get it in front of a judge before the day is out.
You don't need an arrest warrant. You just need to put out a bulletin that she's wanted for questioning and should be picked up and held. A bulletin to watch for the stolen car would be a good idea too.

The car went to Marlene's, but the doorman said she was away for a few days. Her car wasn't there. No response to her buzzer.

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:44 pm
by Langdon
"Oh! Detective! When we were... ahem... here earlier." I open the closet and point out the recently used hip-waders. "We found these. Well. I found these. Mr. Hirt must have been somewhere wet."
Outdoorsman Spend,Can I spend a point or two to have an idea of where a guy like Hirt would use those waders?

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:32 am
by FrankyEsposito
Gaffer wrote:You don't need an arrest warrant. You just need to put out a bulletin that she's wanted for questioning and should be picked up and held. A bulletin to watch for the stolen car would be a good idea too.
Done and done.
Gaffer wrote:The car went to Marlene's, but the doorman said she was away for a few days. Her car wasn't there. No response to her buzzer.
Can I get a search warrant? Or is suspicion of foul play enough, your honor?

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:35 am
by FrankyEsposito
"Hip waders? Not much call for those in the city."
Waders,I assume "recently used" means they've got mud and what-not on them? What size are they? (In other words, are they his or hers?

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:49 pm
by Gaffer
Langdon,Spend noted: The muck on the waders is not from any trout stream. There's a detectable odor of diesel and sewage -- probably along some of the docks of which Manhattan and Brooklyn have many. There's also a bluish mud that you think might be distinctive; but it'll probably need an expert to tell more. When you hold them up in front of you, it's obvious that Merivana/Marlene could never use them -- too long.
Esposito -- You don't need a warrant. you can just badge your way in past the doorman and the super, if you suspect it may be a crime scene against the registered occupant.

Dex -- The aspirin and a bit of a rest (and a glass of Scotch) have you feeling much better when Esposito reaches you.

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:24 pm
by Delores Brown
Gaffer wrote:
Delores Brown wrote:Back to the office for Delores to catch-up, check for message and placate her editor, reassuring him that the story will be a biggie when it breaks.

Koslov's Art is just a few doors away from Hirt's apartment, if you want to save the carfare. Your editor will accept a phone call.
OK.

Delores steps onto the pavement and looks down the street. She can see the sign for Koslov's Art but knows she'd better check in first - her editor gets kinda jumpy if he doesn't think she's working on a story. She checks the road for traffic then crosses over to a diner on the opposite side where she makes a quick call, reassuring him that she's getting good copy and she'll be back in the office to share it as soon as she can.

That done, she heads back over the road and down to Koslov's. She pauses momentarily to check out the art in the window before pushing the door open and stepping inside. "Hi," she calls, "Is there anyone here?"

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:04 pm
by Gaffer
When Delores gets to Koslov's Art, there is a sign in the door that says CLOSED.

[OOC - It's about two o'clock on Monday. Delores is at Koslov's Art, Franky is going to the Hudson Street Station, Dex is dozing in his office, and Langdon is...? I won't be posting anymore until after Origins (6/27), but feel free to discuss things in the Out of Character thread or post any other actions here.]

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:09 pm
by Langdon
"Detective Esposito, I'm no sleuth, but I think these waders would be too big for Merivana." I hold them up in front of me, showing how tall they are. "Also, it doesn't look like they were used for some simply trout fishing trip." I cringe as I catch a whiff of the muck on the waders. "Diesel. And sewage too. At least that's what it smells like to me. And look at this." I point to the bluish mud caked on in spots. "I'd bet this isn't anything from around here. Do you know any chemists who could tell us for sure if these were near diesel, sewage, or maybe what this blue stuff is?"

"Where would Mr. Hirt have gone with these? What would he be doing mucking around in sewers or docks or shipyards or somewhere with diesel and sewage and the like?"

"I'm going to get a hold of Dex. Do you want to hold onto these in the meantime?" I offer the detective the waders. Afterwards I make my farewells, arrange a time to meet up again (probably tomorrow), and head off to first get Dex's office address, then visit him there.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:50 pm
by FrankyEsposito
"Good catch, Langdon. I'll take them back and see what the boys in the lab think of that blue muck."