Saturday Sept 2 evening - Dex

New York City, 1933.

A man is missing and the girl wants him found. What more do you need to know?

This game will be run using the Trail of Cthulhu (copyright (c)2009 Pelgrane Press).

Moderator: Gaffer

Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Saturday Sept 2 evening - Dex

Post by Gaffer »

This late on a Saturday, you quickly find a parking space near the office. Nobody's there when you let yourself in.

Joe has left a note on your desk:

Marlene Hirt
Nothing much current
Manhattan ph. dir. - APpleton 5102 - 1288 Lexington Ave
Palatine Hirt left small fortune to her & brother Alphonse 1918
Robert Stanton executor & guardian
grad. Upper Darby Girls’ Acad. 1923
Eng. Lit. deg. Bennington 1927

Not much to go on.

There's a note from Lila, reminding you that her show – Murder at the Vanities – previews tonight for the critics. Then they’ll be rehearsing intensely for the next week to fix what doesn’t work. Great break for the kid, playing the role of Nancy in a mystery about a musical. Just a few lines, sure, but a big step up from the chorus line. Well, you have your evenings free this week. You need to send flowers for opening night next Friday.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Saturday Sept 2 evening - Dex

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex will find a change of clothes in his office and slip into the fresh shirt and find his leather jacket he uses for night's out like this. A good luck charm from the busting barrels days as a Prohibition agent. Oh and some minor protection against a knife blade and cuts and scrapes. Battered, but he wouldn't trade his jacket for anything else since it was given to him by his wife.

He looks over the note, and then makes writes out <ed.> three copies. Two he places into envelopes, sealing them. He addresses the first to Esposito and the station house, and the other to Delores, sending her's to the newspaper (unless Dex has her card with her boarding house address). The third copy is to hand over to Langdon when he sees him a few hours later. He makes some calls for other cases he has been working on, then calls a delivery service the detective agency uses to make sure the messages are sent out promptly, paying extra for a Saturday evening delivery. He finally leaves a note for his partner, then turns on a lamp, pours himself a whiskey and plops over onto the couch in the corner of his office, to start on that book he took with him. (If he can't get too far into because of time, he will work on paperwork on his desk until about 6).

Dex will eventually leave around 6 to stop by the theater before meeting Langdon, to see if Lila is there to wish her luck personally. He'll also try to schedule a dinner with her for tomorrow evening at a restaurant they both like. Some place a little romantic, some place quiet.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

You know from experience that you won't be able to see Lila at the theater and dinner for her any night this week will be catch-as-catch-can, probably sandwiches or Chinese ordered in to the theater. And she'll be exhausted and nervous. But you could get flowers delivered to her for about five bucks. She's real excited to be sharing a dressing room with just two other actresses, instead of being in the big chorus dressing room.

You manage to read about a chapter before it's time to meet Vilas. What time are you meeting and where?
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Gaffer wrote:You know from experience that you won't be able to see Lila at the theater and dinner for her any night this week will be catch-as-catch-can, probably sandwiches or Chinese ordered in to the theater. And she'll be exhausted and nervous. But you could get flowers delivered to her for about five bucks. She's real excited to be sharing a dressing room with just two other actresses, instead of being in the big chorus dressing room.

You manage to read about a chapter before it's time to meet Vilas. What time are you meeting and where?
I'll make sure (since I now know the above!) I pick up some flowers, and then make sure more flowers are delivered tomorrow evening and especially arrange for flowers to arrive on opening night. I'll nevertheless stop by and bring Lila a smile, the flowers and a kiss, with the promise for dinner when she has a free moment.

I will be waiting across the street from Hirt's building, sitting in my car, if I can find a parking spot close by. If not, I will tell Langdon to meet at the bookstore about 7:15 if he doesn't see me (or I him) before then.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Dexter Ford wrote:I'll nevertheless stop by and bring Lila a smile, the flowers and a kiss, with the promise for dinner when she has a free moment.
The guy on the stage door won't let you in. "I can't Mr. Ford, it's a madhouse in here." But he agrees to let Lila know you're here.

A few moments later, Lila sneaks through the door in her kimono, looking excited and harried, but with a big smile and kiss for you. She squeals in delight when she sees the flowers.

"Dex, sweety, you're a peach! Dinner sounds great! Maybe the 21 Club? And I promise we'll spend the day together soon's I get a break."

Then a tight hug and another kiss and she's slipped back inside, leaving a scent of greasepaint and jasmine in her wake.

You walk back to your car, wiping make-up from your cheek with your handkerchief.

<Pick up in the new thread for you and Langdon.>
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Dex has a lot to think about as he drives up Park Avenue and over the 138th Street Bridge. Arriving home about nine o'clock, he heats up a can of soup and makes a supper of that and some crackers and cheese with a bottle of beer to wash it down. As he finishes eating, he realizes how long the day has been, but Devil Worship: The Sacred Books and Traditions of the Yezidiz by Isya Joseph is awaiting his attention. Of course, it might be easier going after a good night's sleep.
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex will call it an early night, then set the alarm clock for 7 am or so. In the morning, he'll brew a pot of coffee, scramble up some eggs, make some toast, and pick up the newspaper, the NY Daily News, from where it is delivered. Breakfast first, with a quick skim through the paper, say an hour or so, then get settled to read the book in a comfortable chair by the window, cup of fresh coffee at his side.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

I presume you mean after Mass. :D
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Gaffer wrote:I presume you mean after Mass. :D
Sheesh <grin> you nag like my mother!...let's say the order goes breakfast, newspaper, head off to the local church for 9 am mass, and then back to the book around 10:30. Will probably take up a good portion of what remains of the morning and until early afternoon. Dex will realize its lunch time and head out to find something more nourishing than soup, cheese and beer.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

We'll proceed to a new Sunday thread.
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Sounds good to me. Whenever you get the thread up and going, I am ready to continue, though I don't want to get too fr ahead of the others.

Return to “Find Him, Please (Trail of Cthulhu)”