Friday Sept 1 evening to Saturday Sept 2 morning - Dex

New York City, 1933.

A man is missing and the girl wants him found. What more do you need to know?

This game will be run using the Trail of Cthulhu (copyright (c)2009 Pelgrane Press).

Moderator: Gaffer

Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Friday Sept 1 evening to Saturday Sept 2 morning - Dex

Post by Gaffer »

It's about 4:30 pm as you leave the Hudson Street Station and walk toward Thomas Street in Greenwich Village. The wind has picked up a bit and is blowing out of the northwest. The skies have cleared.

Greenwich Village is a bohemian district of New York, full of dusty bookstores, dingy art galleries, and dimly-lit cafes. But Hirt's apartment building at 8 Thomas Street is a remodeled and fashionable building. A glassed-in foyer includes a wall of polished brass mailboxes for the residents.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Friday Sept 1 evening to Saturday Sept 2 morning - Dex

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex will leave the police station and head towards the address for Mr. Hirt. He will simply stroll the neighborhood, casing the building if possible for about an hour. He will check out the list of mailboxes inside the building, copying down any names he finds in his ever present notebook. If possible, he'll check for the names of people on each side of Mr. Hirt's apartment (and/or above or below) and asterix those. If there is a corner market, any street vendors, etc, he will go and check in on those people, asking some discrete questions about Mr. Hirt or his sister.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Dexter Ford wrote:He will simply stroll the neighborhood, casing the building if possible for about an hour.

Hirt’s block of Thomas Street is mostly older brownstones (some converted to rooming houses) and about ten storefronts, including Simpkins’ Grocery, Koslov’s Art (closed), Trilby’s Hat (cafe) and The Book-Worm (second-hand bookstore) – several others are vacant. There are a couple of small, newer apartment buildings.

8 Thomas Street is a remodeled and fashionable building. A wide alley runs along one side of the structure, which abuts Simpkins' on the other side; an alley runs behind both buildings as well. The glassed-in foyer includes a pair of potted palms and a row of twenty polished brass mailboxes for the residents.
Dexter Ford wrote:He will check out the list of mailboxes inside the building, copying down any names he finds in his ever present notebook. If possible, he'll check for the names of people on each side of Mr. Hirt's apartment (and/or above or below) and asterix those.
As you step in to look at the mailboxes, a nasally voice asks, “Can I help you, sir?”

Turning, you find Myron Hirschen at the front desk, ready to help residents and run the elevator. Myron is maybe 30, neither tall nor short and of average weight. His most distinctive facial feature is the pair of round, black-framed glasses through which he peers, blinking frequently. He wears a white shirt and tie, dark trousers and a gray sweater under his maroon uniform jacket. On the desk in front of him is a thick book; as you approach him, you notice it's a law book.

<In the interest of time, go ahead and note all your initial questions for Myron rather than asking one at a time.>
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Gaffer wrote:
Dexter Ford wrote:He will check out the list of mailboxes inside the building, copying down any names he finds in his ever present notebook. If possible, he'll check for the names of people on each side of Mr. Hirt's apartment (and/or above or below) and asterix those.
As you step in to look at the mailboxes, a nasally voice asks, “Can I help you, sir?”

Turning, you find Myron Hirschen at the front desk, ready to help residents and run the elevator. Myron is maybe 30, neither tall nor short and of average weight. His most distinctive facial feature is the pair of round, black-framed glasses through which he peers, blinking frequently. He wears a white shirt and tie, dark trousers and a gray sweater under his maroon uniform jacket. On the desk in front of him is a thick book; as you approach him, you notice it's a law book.

<In the interest of time, go ahead and note all your initial questions for Myron rather than asking one at a time.>
Dex looks at the man behind the counter, and tips a finger to his hat. He glances at the law book, and smiles. "The name is Dex Ford of the Ford and Morton Detective Agency." He slides a business card to the man, making sure he sees his old Prohibition Agent badge in his wallet as he does. "I have been hired to check up on a Mr. Hirt. I am told he lives in this building. What can you tell me about him?"

<Note: If Myron seems to need a little tongue loosening, Dex will slip him a five dollar bill. If that isn't enough, he'll go as high as $10.>
"When was the last time you saw Mr. Hirt?"
"Does Mr. Hirt have any regular visitors?"
"Is Mr. Hirt particularly friendly with anyone in the building?"
"Do you know if Mr. Hirt frequented any of the neighborhood stores? Maybe the book store?"
"I understand his sister is living here temporarily. What do you know about her?"
"Would it be possible to see his apartment?"
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Dexter Ford wrote:Dex looks at the man behind the counter, and tips a finger to his hat. He glances at the law book, and smiles. "The name is Dex Ford of the Ford and Morton Detective Agency." He slides a business card to the man, making sure he sees his old Prohibition Agent badge in his wallet as he does. "I have been hired to check up on a Mr. Hirt. I am told he lives in this building.
"When was the last time you saw Mr. Hirt?"
"Does Mr. Hirt have any regular visitors?"
"Is Mr. Hirt particularly friendly with anyone in the building?"
"Do you know if Mr. Hirt frequented any of the neighborhood stores? Maybe the book store?"
"I understand his sister is living here temporarily. What do you know about her?"
"Would it be possible to see his apartment?"
Oral History: Myron Hirschen replies in a nasal drone: “I haven't seen Mr. Hirt for a week or so -- maybe ten days. No one is home in his apartment. His sister is staying there, but I believe she is away this weekend. That's about all I know about her except she's quite attractive, in my opinion.

"I've worked here for about four months and haven't noticed any regular visitors, but I'm off duty at six o'clock, so I wouldn't know about the evenings. After six, residents have to use their keys to open the front door and let their guests in themselves. Mr. Hirt seems cordial with the other residents when their paths cross in the lobby, beyond that, I wouldn't know. I believe he does his grocery shopping next door at Simpkins. He frequently brings home books or has them delivered -- quite a reader -- so he well may patronize The Book-Worm. I saw him carrying a box of books out of here a month or so ago. I've seen him going in and out of Trilby's Hat on several occasions.

"No, I cannot let you into his apartment; it wouldn’t be ethical.”

You get the impression that Myron would be unswayed by a bribe.

<When you're through with Myron (who will give you the fish-eye if you start copying resident's names from the mailboxes), you can outline your line of questioning at the neighborhood establishments. If the opportunity comes up to make a one-point Oral History spend, do you want to?>
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex thanks Myron for the information with a tip of the finger to his hat, but unless Myron asks him to stop copying names, he won't. He turns and saunters out to the street, glancing up and down the street for a moment. He'll then mosey over to the book store, hopefully the cafe as well, before getting a bite to eat at the cafe if it is still serving.

Depending on the information, he will come back tomorrow morning (Sat.) and inquire at the market and at the art gallery, if it is open. However, the book store is the primary spot to start, since the boy is an author and Myron remembered him buying books. His questions are as follows, with the book store having a few more specific questions. He will start with the owner or any clerk who is present. He will show his business card (and his old badge if necessary), but his questions will be rather basic.

Do you know Mr. Alphonse Hirt?
Was he a regular customer? (if the answer is yes)
What sort of books did he read/purchase?
Was there anything he seemed in particular interested in?
What did you think of him?
Do you know he is missing? (if the answer is yes)
When was the last time you saw him?

For the cafe, he will try to find whomever seems to be running the place: a chef, the waitress, the owner, or perhaps all three.

What sort of food did he purchase?

Dex will eat whatever the special is, a bottle of coke or a cup of coffee, and what ever the waitress says is the dessert special. He will leave a decent tip, spread around any "greasing of the wheels" necessary, and will then head home for the evening. If anyone is particularly useful, he will leave his card with them.

<If I have a chance to spend a point to make the questioning easier, or the point of Oral History, I will.>
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Dexter Ford wrote:Dex thanks Myron for the information with a tip of the finger to his hat, but unless Myron asks him to stop copying names, he won't. He turns and saunters out to the street, glancing up and down the street for a moment. He'll then mosey over to the book store, hopefully the cafe as well, before getting a bite to eat at the cafe if it is still serving.
By the time you finish with Myron, the moon is up and the sun is setting, leaving the narrow streets in shadow. By the glow of the street lamps, you can see that the grocery and bookstore are closed. But the windows of the cafe are glowing.

Trilby’s Hat tries hard to be a Parisian cafe, but misses by a bit. The air is redolent of cigarettes, grilled sandwiches and strong coffee, but the pastries in the display case look like they were bought a few days ago. A placard on the wall says: “Yes! We have beer!” There are a half-dozen tables, three of them occupied by several men and a couple of women who have the look of students and bohemians and are nursing their coffees. You’d bet that at least half of them are “poets.”
Dexter Ford wrote:Dex will eat whatever the special is, a bottle of coke or a cup of coffee, and what ever the waitress says is the dessert special. He will leave a decent tip, spread around any "greasing of the wheels" necessary, and will then head home for the evening. If anyone is particularly useful, he will leave his card with them.
What sort of food did he purchase?
Streetwise: A few free coffees and casual questions among the patrons can elicit the information that Hirt was liked and he came in several evenings a week, usually having an omelet and coffee. His behavior had changed lately – much less talkative and spreading money around less lavishly than he used to. No one considered him a particular friend or feels that he had anyone he was especially close to. Now that you mention it, he hasn’t been around lately, but missing... everyone seems surprised at that, just figured he was traveling.

Streetwise: Joe Makropolos, the owner and cook, says that Hirt hasn’t been in for a week, maybe ten days. He likes him okay, but thinks he’s a faker, all talk. A stunning, dark-haired woman came in a few days ago, asking about Hirt; he didn’t get her name. He’s seen her in the neighborhood a few times since then. "His sister? Gee, I'd have thought she was Turkish, maybe."

Interrogation one-point spend: Cassandra L’Argent (poet and waitress—“It means Silver Seer”) recalls that Hirt used to refer to his sister as "a dizzy blonde—I hate when men use that term, don't you?” Joe and Cassandra also had the impression that Hirt’s sister was considerably younger than he. Cassandra says she gets off in an hour; she lives just around the corner.

<Since you had no points in Oral History, I used one point of Interrogation.>
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex thanks the owner and Miss L'Argent, and makes sure he notes down the information about Ms. Hirt. They could be wrong, but he was curious that his detective senses sort of went off when he smelt the woman. Her giving over a pretty steep retainer without Dex quoting an amount was a pretty good sign that she smelt a little off. Realizing it was late, he walked past the building to see if Myron was still inside. If he wasn't Dex, would hang out for a little bit to see if anyone came in or out of the building, say for about an hour or so. If nothing happens (or by 10 pm, whichever comes first) Dex will get back on the train and head home.

The next morning, on Saturday, Dex will go through his morning routine, then head out for breakfast with Joe, filling him in on what he has discovered and ask his partner to check up on Miss Hirt, or the alleged Miss Hirt, if he has time. Dex himself will finish his breakfast and then skedaddle back downtown to try and get to the bookstore by 10 am. He'll ask the same questions at the bookstore and at the grocery, modified of course, as the one he planned to ask the previous evening. <spending points where necessary> He'll also buy a book at the bookstore if that will help his case.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Dexter Ford wrote:Dex thanks the owner and Miss L'Argent, and makes sure he notes down the information about Ms. Hirt. They could be wrong, but he was curious that his detective senses sort of went off when he smelt the woman. Her giving over a pretty steep retainer without Dex quoting an amount was a pretty good sign that she smelt a little off. Realizing it was late, he walked past the building to see if Myron was still inside. If he wasn't Dex, would hang out for a little bit to see if anyone came in or out of the building, say for about an hour or so. If nothing happens (or by 10 pm, whichever comes first) Dex will get back on the train and head home.
Myron is gone, the lobby lights dimmed and the doors locked. Lights glow faintly behind curtains in several windows, but no one goes in or out. The stay-at-homes are home already and the nightowls aren't roosting yet.

On the train, you glance over your list of names from the mailboxes: 1st floor: Mr. Barton, Mr. & Mrs. Hamblin, McCall, Ed Harmon; 2nd floor: The Cleggs, Miss Hargreave, (no name), B.L. Monroe; 3rd floor: Mr. & Mrs. Wolcott, A. Hirt, (no name), Smith; 4th floor: Swekel & Kahn, Miss Willner, Ted Willis, John Sullivan; 5th floor: K. Freer, Mrs. Krank, Dunn/Merritt, Chodak + (scratched out).

<more to come in new post>
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Saturday morning has that crisp feeling of Autumn, your Model A purring along 3rd avenue toward Greenwich Village after breakfast with Joe. The paper says it’ll get up to 70° this afternoon with clear skies and light breezes.
Dexter Ford wrote:Depending on the information, he will come back tomorrow morning (Sat.) and inquire at the market and at the art gallery, if it is open. However, the book store is the primary spot to start, since the boy is an author and Myron remembered him buying books. His questions are as follows, with the book store having a few more specific questions. He will start with the owner or any clerk who is present. He will show his business card (and his old badge if necessary), but his questions will be rather basic.
What sort of books did he read/purchase?
Was there anything he seemed in particular interested in?

<If I have a chance to spend a point to make the questioning easier, or the point of Oral History, I will.>
Simpkins’ Grocery seems to be doing a brisk business, but Koslov’s Art looks closed. A guy in The Book-Worm is puttering among the display in the window. He looks up as the little bell over the door tinkles, "How can we help you this morning?"

Library Use: Steve Malcolm, proprietor of The Book-Worm, says that Hirt was mostly interested in occult texts and weird fiction; he bought every pulp title every month. Then a few months ago, he started asking for books on Middle Eastern history and cuture, including Mohammedan superstition and witchcraft, especially about Yezidi devil worshippers. Malcolm got what he could for him, but that wasn’t a lot, so Hirt quit coming in much. Then the past few weeks, Hirt brought in a large number of books, some of them quite rare – things he hadn't bought at The Book-Worm. Many are still on the shelves, not much call for them. Checking those books reveals that several were purchased from Kaynak Bilginin (219 Washington Avenue, Clinton Hill, Brooklyn). The bookplate is in both English and some non-Roman characters. Malcolm’s not familiar with the name: “Why would I go over to Brooklyn, right?”

Interrogation one-point spend: Hirt said he needed all the books for a book he was writing about some sort of cult-worshippers in Red Hook. Then when he was selling books, he said he was done with research and was going to start investigating in person. He had even hired an agent to help get published.

<ready to move on to the grocery?>
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Gaffer wrote: Simpkins’ Grocery seems to be doing a brisk business, but Koslov’s Art looks closed. A guy in The Book-Worm is puttering among the display in the window. He looks up as the little bell over the door tinkles, "How can we help you this morning?"

Library Use: Steve Malcolm, proprietor of The Book-Worm, says that Hirt was mostly interested in occult texts and weird fiction; he bought every pulp title every month. Then a few months ago, he started asking for books on Middle Eastern history and cuture, including Mohammedan superstition and witchcraft, especially about Yezidi devil worshippers. Malcolm got what he could for him, but that wasn’t a lot, so Hirt quit coming in much. Then the past few weeks, Hirt brought in a large number of books, some of them quite rare – things he hadn't bought at The Book-Worm. Many are still on the shelves, not much call for them. Checking those books reveals that several were purchased from Kaynak Bilginin (219 Washington Avenue, Clinton Hill, Brooklyn). The bookplate is in both English and some non-Roman characters. Malcolm’s not familiar with the name: “Why would I go over to Brooklyn, right?”

Interrogation one-point spend: Hirt said he needed all the books for a book he was writing about some sort of cult-worshippers in Red Hook. Then when he was selling books, he said he was done with research and was going to start investigating in person. He had even hired an agent to help get published.

<ready to move on to the grocery?>
Dex thanks Mr. Malcolm for the information, but then asks if he has any of the books about. Dex will try to negotiate <Bargain> for any of the books that Hirt left behind, especially any of the books with the name Kaynak Bilginin. From what Mr. Malcom said, they are just sort of sitting about and he will make sure he gets the best deal possible. That sort of reading sounds like something right up Delores' alley. Dex usually carries about $30 dollars on him at any given time, so that might be enough. If not, he does have a company checkbook, but he would prefer not to go that route. After paying for the books, he asks one last question?

"Did he say anything more about the cult worshippers in Red Hook? Anything in particular or struck you as strange? I remember hearing something odd had taken place there last year." (Langdon, I believe had mentioned something along those lines earlier). "Oh, and did he say who his agent might be?"

<Once he gets those answers, Dex is read to move on to the grocery store>
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

After going over the books that Hirt had sold (and rejecting some general works on Muslim beliefs, Mid-eastern history, witchcraft in America and travelogues), you select three books: Adventures in Arabia: Among the Bedouins, Druses, Whirling Dervishes & Yezidee Devil Worshipers by W.B. Seabrook 1927; Devil Worship: The Sacred Books and Traditions of the Yezidiz by Isya Joseph (1919); An Inquiry into the Religious Tenets of the Yezeedees by George Percy Badger (1852). The price comes to $22.50.
Dexter Ford wrote:"Did he say anything more about the cult worshippers in Red Hook? Anything in particular or struck you as strange? I remember hearing something odd had taken place there last year.
"Oh, and did he say who his agent might be?"
Steve Malcolm pauses in the midst of wrapping up the three books, thinking back.

"He never mentioned his agent's name that I recall. He said the cult was trying to rebuild a bridge to their ancient home. But then again he said they wanted to get to the moon. When I mentioned seeing that old flicker about the Man in the Moon with a rocket-ship in his eye, Hirt chuckled and said, 'No, they're headed for the other side.' As I say, I don't pay much heed to Brooklyn."

As you turn to leave the shop, Malcolm says, "I could ask around about agents that handle the weird stuff, maybe get you a couple of names, if you like. Stop in Monday, if you're in the neighborhood."

The morning rush has died down at Simpkins' Grocery by the time you walk in. Ma Simpkins, the owner is leaning on the counter with her chin in her hands. In response to your questions, she says she sells groceries, not stories. But for two-bits she tells you that she doesn’t know much about Hirt. He paid his bill in full every month, but “seemed like a lazy-bones, never seemed like he had much to do with his time, y’know?” He never mentioned a sister and she hasn’t seen anyone matching Marlene’s description.

It's 11:30, giving you just about enough time to get up to Carnegie Deli to meet the others. As you walk to your car, you notice the art gallery still isn't open.

[We'll be moving to a new thread, but you can post any last thoughts here.]

Return to “Find Him, Please (Trail of Cthulhu)”