Mon Sep 4 - Thomas Street

New York City, 1933.

A man is missing and the girl wants him found. What more do you need to know?

This game will be run using the Trail of Cthulhu (copyright (c)2009 Pelgrane Press).

Moderator: Gaffer

Delores Brown
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Mon Sep 4 - Thomas Street

Post by Delores Brown »

"You're right," said Delores, "I'm a woman, and I know how to feel. The problem is that right now, I'm feeling used." She picked up the picture frame and held it up to for 'Miss Hirt' to see. "The doorman at Marlene Hirt's apartment [ed.]said that Miss Hirt is a blonde - you don't look like a blonde to me, unless you let Langdon here get up close and personal enough to find out differently. I think the girl in the picture is the real Marlene Hirt and that you're a fraud. So why don't you tell us what this is all about?"
OOC,I'm assuming that 'Marlene' isn't telling the truth! [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2491256/]Is 'Marlene' telling the truth? (1d6=5)[/url]
FrankyEsposito
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by FrankyEsposito »

Looks like our "good cop, bad cop" plan didn't survive first contact with the enemy. If she is the enemy.
Roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2491300/]Franky doesn't believe her. Or does he? 1d6=4[/url]
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex steps next to Delores and glances from the picture to the woman. "Even I don't think she fake the hair job that well. And my late wife used to dye her hair all the time." Still trying to let the good/bad cop go a bit further, Dex looks at Langdon.

"Come on Langdon, you had dinner with her, spent some alone time with the young lady. Why do you think she might be misleading us? Could she had been Mr. Hirt's girlfriend?"

Like that would be the truth...
Spoiler:
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

"Excuse me, Mr. Ford, Miss Brown, Detective Esposito!" gesturing to Miss Hirt, "Let's not talk about our employer as if she weren't in the room." I smile at 'Miss Hirt'. "If this is too much for you, we could always step outside for a bit. I apologize for my colleagues."
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Gaffer »

Delores,The evidence seems against her, but you can't quite be certain.
Langdon,You just can't believe that this poor, tortured, beautiful woman is lying.
Franky,Maybe you've misjudged her. It's really ford who's so sure she's a fake.
Dex,It's hard to dismiss some of the facts you've gathered -- the 'dizzy blonde' remark, especially -- but maybe this really is Marlene Hirt.
Delores Brown wrote:She picked up the picture frame and held it up to for 'Miss Hirt' to see.
There are two photos in the picture frame, a man and a woman.
2 Alphonse_Hirt.jpg
3 Dorothy_Mandeville.jpg
Marlene stares at the photos in the frame. "That...That's my brother and his fiancée... former fiancée, Miss Mandeville, Dorothy Mandeville. she's out West somewhere -- Denver, I think. Wait, what doorman? There's no doorman here. You mean Hirschen, why would he say that? This is all insane, perhaps it is I that am losing my mind..."

She turns her face to Langdon's jacket, her breath sobbing, her shoulders shaking.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Whispering to Delores, he glances at the woman. "You know, I could be wrong, and that could be the real Miss Hirt. But you know something, she hasn't once mentioned the broken door or the deep scratches on the floor. Not once..."

Dex tries to assess how good an actress she might be, and whether the doorman seems to be a doorman or was there something odd about him.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Dex,Myron is a desk clerk, rather than a "doorman." Delores was referring to the doorman at Marlene Hirt's apartment building.
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

I just comfort the poor woman, letting the others question her and look for answers. I'm here to keep the fish on the hook so to speak.
Delores Brown
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Delores Brown »

Delores looked at Dex and shook her head doubtfully. She couldn't be sure but things didn't add up. "The Doorman at Marlene Hirt's apartment house [ed.] said Marlene Hirt - the real Marlene Hirt - was a blonde. Call it women's intuition, but I just don't believe her," she said quietly.
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

Langdon whispers back, sure he'd be chuckling if it weren't for the gravity of the situation. "And men don't lie? Maybe we should look into this doorman?"

"Miss Hirt... Marlene... I'm sorry that we've upset you. We're just confused.
You see, Dex and I..." I cast a glance over to Dex, eyes seeking advice or a warning or encouragement.
OOC Question about PBP,If we were in person I'd be giving Dex about 5 seconds to either interrupt or take over, how can I achieve that in play-by-post?
Keeper only,[strike]See above question. If Dex doesn't interrupt, Langdon continues:[/strike] "[color=#0000FF][strike]We had the doorman show us the apartment yesterday. We found some strange things that make us think your brother may have been the victim of fowl play. Dex saw claw marks on the floor. And that rug is ... well it doesn't match the other. It doesn't seem to match your brother's tastes. Marlene, have you ever heard or seen a dog in the apartment? A... rather large one?[/strike][/color]"
Last edited by Langdon on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

[I'm going to step in here to clear up some misconceptions. The doorman that Delores is referring to is not Myron, who is the deskman here at Alphonse Hirt's apartment building. The doorman is at Marlene Hirt's apartment building that Delores visited on Sunday. I should have edited Delores's post to make that more clear. I have now and also part of Langdon's that was based on the misconception.]
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Miss Hirt, or whoever you are, your story doesn't add up. Langdon is sweet on you, and that is a good thing. Because of my friendship for him, I am barely giving you the benefit of the doubt. But from what we have discovered Mr. Hirt was involved in a mysterious cult whose origins go back a long way. In fact, they were active until just a short time ago and your "brother" seems to have stumbled into the cult. Now what I think is going on, if you pardon me for being as blunt as a two by four, is that you are part of this cult or connected to it, and that you are looking for something Mr. Hirt acquired from the cult and want to get it back as well as finding out where he disappeared too. Easy enough to have the authorities find a missing man for you...

::Dex glances at Langdon:: Sorry old man, but I am tired of playing footsie with this dame. I am about to refund her the money she paid us unless she gives us something resembling the truth. ::He reaches into his coat pocket as if to pull out the money, but is actually holding onto the grip of the revolver he placed in his pocket.::

Besides, I am reminded of a quote said by Sherlock Holmes about the curious incident of the dog in the night. So far you haven't mentioned anything at all about the claw marks on the kitchen floor behind you...frankly it isn't something you could miss if you spent anytime in here at all.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Marlene Hirt raises a tear-stained face from Langdon's damp shoulder and draws a deep, shuddering breath.

"I've only myself to blame for your not trusting me," she smiles bravely at Langdon, her lips trembling a bit, "You are very perspicacious, Mr. Ford. Indeed, I have been holding something back, but not for my sake. I feared what might befall you people, if I gave you too much knowledge."

She stands, smoothing her hair. "Would you allow me to retrieve something from the guest room? I think it will make clear the danger that might befall you if you persist in this investigation."

She steps toward the hallway.
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

I rise and walk with her. "Here, Marlene, let me help you"
Delores Brown
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Delores Brown »

"Dex..." hisses Delores, wanting the detective to stop her. She doesn't trust Marlene - call it feminine intuition but there was something going on and she didn't want Langdon to leave the room alone.
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Thinking quickly, he grabs Delores' hand. "I think I have something in my eye. I can't get it out." He blinks his eye rapidly. "I know the bathroom is in the hall. Quick, let's get this out." That way we can follow Hirt and Langdon on her hunch.
FrankyEsposito
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by FrankyEsposito »

This has all gone south, quickly. I don't like it. I don't like it at all. What would Vinnie do? Trick question. Vinnie wouldn't have gotten into this mess in the first place. Or would he? Maybe that's what... not the time to think about that. Also not the time to be too subtle.

I take out my service piece and flip the safety off. I hold it down against my leg, away from Miss Hirt, but where the others can see. I follow her -- as closely as I can -- to wherever she's going.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Marlene moves quickly down the hallway, followed by Langdon. Dex, who's pulling Delores along by the wrist, keeps his eyes on Marlene. Esposito brings up the rear.

Dex reaches the bathroom door, turning the knob with his free hand. Marlene breaks for the kitchen, shoving the swinging door hard and going into the room.

A vicious, snarling growl alerts Dex to the night-black hound crouched, slavering in the bathroom, its glowing spittle hissing on the bathroom tiles, a whitish tuft of hair bristling down its spine. The huge animal opens impossibly wide jaws and lunges for Dex's wrist!
GRROWRRR,[attachment=0]Black Dog - snarl.jpg[/attachment]
[Dex, Delores and Franky make Stability rolls, plus any spend. Langdon isn't looking at the creature and so doesn't need to make a roll (unless he chooses to look).]
[Dex make a Scuffling roll to contest the dog's bite at your wrist -- you tell me which hand is on the doorknob and which holding Delores.]
[Franky, you can Shoot, but the dog is mostly in the bathroom and Delores is between you and Dex and the dog. Or you can do something else.]
[Langdon, do you attempt to follow Marlene? Or do you go back to the others -- Dex is between you and the dog and the others.]
Attachments
Black Dog - snarl.jpg
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

(OOC: GAH!)

Dex is startled by the dog.
Stability roll: 1d6=4
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2512859/
I'll spend 4 Stability to ensure I hold on against the creature.
Stability: roll of 4 plus 4 spend=8

Dex steps back, or tries to, letting go of Delores' hand with his left hand, and trying to scramble for the revolver in his pocket with the right, which had been opening the door.
Scuffling roll: 1d6=5
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2512862/
I'll spend 5 of my Scuffling to ensure I don't get bit and make sure that Delores doesn't as well.
Scuffling: roll of 5 plus 5 spend=10
Last edited by Dexter Ford on Mon May 10, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

Hurriedly, hands shaking, "Marlene, if you have anything to help us, now's the time!" I stay close to her, shielding her from the beast, even though it seems to be more 'interested' in Dex than our patroness.

Return to “Find Him, Please (Trail of Cthulhu)”