IC-JUNO-Man on the Run(Marcus only)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-JUNO-Man on the Run(Marcus only)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 8:45 PM Mountain Time - Big Mac Road, almost 2 miles south of Ogallala, Nebraska
On the road-
Marcus managed to swerve to the side and zipped right past the zombie at high speed. It dwindled and vanished quickly in his rear-view mirror. The open road stretched on ahead.
OOC,Marcus, roll Spot Hidden at 3/5 skill again. You have twelve more rounds of temporary insanity, including this one.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: IC-JUNO-Man on the Run(Marcus only)

Post by ImpInTraining »

Marcus was too panic-stricken to feel bad for leaving all those nice folks back on the store roof. His thoughts were one only of survival. He knew his redemption laid ahead within the state police barracks. He only hoped he wouldn't get shot on site once he got there, mistaken for one of those ... those things. "It was dead... but it was movin'. Good God Almighty," he says to himself as he continues to drive down the road. His grip causes his knuckles to whiten.
oblivious,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2416655/]3/5ths Spot Hidden (31.8%) (1d100=100)[/url]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
With the driving rain and the near-total darkness, Marcus had zero visibility as he sped away to the north. He was actually looking behind him when he collided with something. He couldn't even see what it was; he only heard and felt the thump. The car suddenly began to fishtail very badly!
OOC,[b]Marcus[/b], roll Drive Auto, at -30 due to the bad fishtail. You [i]really[/i] want to make this roll.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,-30 for fishtailing? geez. I sometimes fishtail for the fun of it. That's a hell of a penalty. That only gives me a 10% chance of success. Not that it mattered with what I rolled. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2422553/]Marcus - Drive Auto (10% chance) (1d100=92)[/url] Wrap me around a tree or what have you...
Marcus tried to work the steering wheel to ease the car out of the skid, but over-corrected and lost all control. "My father who art in heaven..." he starts to recite a prayer he'd said at church every Sunday since he was a little boy.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
The vehicle rolled off the road and onto its side, spinning over before finally coming to rest. Unfortunately, Marcus was going quite fast at the time and did not have time to apply the brakes. The car was totalled, and Marcus himself was crushed to death from the impact.
OOC,Ouch, sorry about that! Rolling 100 isn't always fatal, and there was a chance you could have survived in spite of the critically failed Spot Hidden roll, but the dice were not on your side. There was no way to avoid the collision with something you couldn't see (it was another zombie, by the way, and you did damage it very badly). After getting the worst possible result on the Trouble Table and failing the Luck roll, it was still possible to survive, but I rolled high for the damage you took. The -30 penalty is the one listed on the Trouble Table for that roll. There is a difference between fishtailing intentionally and doing so by accident, at night, during a terrible storm, while speeding rapdily and out of one's mind. Of course, with that roll, it wouldn't matter much whether or not there was a penalty. The best way for [b]Marcus[/b] to have survived would have been to head away from the highway instead of towards it. The zombies had been coming from the direction of the highway and Ogallala, and you wouldn't have encountered any going the other way. Then your temporary insanity would have worn off and you could have turned back, and bad luck would not have been a factor. However, if you'd done that, the zombies would have caught the people back at the store flatfooted and on the ground. They have their own problems, and this is one more they didn't need. You may have just saved their lives. I had been hoping for the car to be unusable but for [b]Marcus[/b] to survive. Unfortunately, things didn't work out that way. I'm leaving this thread unlocked for now. Feel free to post your last words/actions. I don't want to announce [b]Marcus[/b]'s untimely demise to the group in the other thread yet. The others need to decide which way to go, and that knowledge could be a factor.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,Bah... I'm just surprised he ran for the car rather than just try to go on foot. He was insane, and shouldn't have had presense of mind to think he could outrun the danger with a vehicle. He should have just ran... as fast as he could in the direction away from the creature that drove him crazy in the first place. But whatever...
Marcus' last words.... "OH SHIIIIIIIII..."

As Marcus takes his last few breaths, he thinks to himself, "Oh, so that's what my spleen looks like."

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”