IC-SWORD-Damsel in Distress(Dan/Julie/Zoe/Raquel/Lara)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-SWORD-Damsel in Distress(Dan/Julie/Zoe/Raquel/Lara)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Dan Aldrich,If you want to throw the grenade through the door towards where you heard [b]Mutt[/b]'s voice, roll Throw. The base skill is 25%, but you do get the +20 because [b]Julie[/b] is in danger as far as you know, which gives you a 45% chance. If you succeed, roll 4d6 for damage. If you fail, roll Luck.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Voodoo
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Voodoo »

ooc,couple of questions before I go throwing grenades around. Has Raquel made it out the window and second did you say that a fall from the window wouldn't cause damage?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,No, [b]Raquel[/b] is still in the room. Only one person can get out the window per turn and [b]Zoe[/b] went first. A fall from the window [i]will[/i] cause damage unless you succeed at a Jump roll.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

Once Dan sees Raquel making her way out the window he pulls the pin on the grenade and tosses it out the door in the direction of Mutts voice. As soon as the grenade leaves Dans hand he runs towards the window.
Damage,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2460275/]14[/url]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Raquel[/b] will not be able to get out the window this turn. [b]Mutt[/b] will get to act before then. Please confirm that you're waiting until next turn, and then I'll update.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

Handy,Oops , Sorry I jumped the gun a little bit. Yes I will be waiting till next turn
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Welcome back, Zhirinovsky! It's a good thing you came back when you did. Having [b]Julie[/b] stand still any longer would have been dangerous!
In the child's bedroom-
Zoe climbed out the window as best she could with her hands still cuffed together. She nearly slipped, but she managed to cling to the windowsill. Before Raquel could make it out the window, Dan heard something small bounce against the wall outside the room, followed by a hissing sound and a thud.

As Dan waited, grenade in hand, Raquel scrambled through the window after Zoe. However, in her panic she lost her grip and fell helplessly to the ground below, landing hard.
OOC,[b]Dan[/b], now your grenade throw takes effect. You can take no other actions this round. You've already rolled, so those rolls stand. I'll let you know what you can determine about what happens in the next update. In the meantime, the others get a chance to act.
Outside the child's bedroom window-
Zoe made her way over to the drainpipe and held onto it. Before she could get down to the ground, she saw Raquel emerge from the window and tumble to the earth below, not far from the white pickup truck that was parked near the front door.
OOC,[b]Zoe[/b], you can make it to the ground this turn, but that will be your action. [b]Lara[/b] made it down so fast because she got a critical success on her Climb roll, and [b]Julie[/b] and [b]Raquel[/b] did because they got an assist from gravity - they fell. You got a normal success, so it will take this turn to get down safely. Please roll Spot Hidden at 1/5 of your skill.
Behind the house-
Julie landed like a cat after her fall from the window. The house's back door had been forced open, just like the front door had. Once Lara saw that she was okay, she gripped her gun in her hand so tight that her knuckles turned white and took off around the corner to the east side of the house at a run. "Come on, Julie!" she said. "We have to get to your truck!"
OOC,[b]Julie[/b], please roll Spot Hidden at 1/5 of your skill. Since the base skill is 25%, this means you only have a 5% chance. Also, please roll Listen at full skill. The base skill is 25%.
In front of the house-
Lara reached the front of the house a few seconds before Raquel plummeted to the ground nearby.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

Zoe:

[ooc: Spot Hidden 41% x 1/5 (1d100=3) Amazing!]

"Raquel!" she gasps in dismay as the girl falls.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Zoe Gallagher,As she swung over to the drainpipe, [b]Zoe[/b] caught a glimpse of a green pickup truck parked in the woods, some 50 yards or so directly away from the house. [b]Zoe[/b], roll Listen as well please, at full skill.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
zhirinovsky
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Post by zhirinovsky »

OOC,Yeah, that was good timing! Oh I accidentally put down listen instead of spot for my first roll in the notes. It'll be obvious when you read it.

After picking herself up off the floor, Julie quickly looks around. She catches a noise as she begins to head for the truck.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Thanks, I understand what you did there. I'm going ahead with the update now. [b]Dan[/b] performed his action in advance already, and [b]Zoe[/b]'s player is currently absent, so I'll roll Listen for her.
In the master bedroom-
Dan lobbed the grenade through the open door, banking it off of the wall outside the room. He saw it bounce away to the left, and a few seconds later there was an explosion that caused the small house to rattle! He heard Mutt cry out in pain, and then silence.

Behind the house-
Julie followed Lara around the side of the house to the front.

In front of the house-
"Raquel!" cried Lara when she saw her friend lying injured on the ground, moaning in pain.

"Not again..." groaned Raquel.

Lara ran over to her and managed to soothe her cuts and bruises, making her feel a little better. "Can you walk?"

"I...I think so," said Raquel, standing uneasily with Lara's help as Zoe reached the ground.

"Good, we have to go now!" She was paying no attention to her surroundings.

Raquel could see nothing either, but she gasped when she heard something. She nodded and peered out into the woods. "Something's coming!" she hissed.

A moment later, a loud explosion came from within the house and upstairs that caused it to vibrate. Julie raced around to the front of the building and rejoined the other women. Dan was still up there!
Julie St. James,[b]Julie[/b] then heard the sound of a twig snapping, coming from the woods to the southeast. It was only barely audible over the explosion's reverberations and her ringing ears, but she was able to make it out. She couldn't see what caused it, though.
Zoe Gallagher,[b]Zoe[/b] [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2462901/]then heard the sound of a twig snapping[/url], coming from the woods. With her back to the house, it was coming from ahead and to the left. The green truck was straight ahead. The sound was only barely audible over the explosion's reverberations and her ringing ears, but she was able to make it out. She couldn't see what caused it, though, even with her keen vision. All she could see were trees that way, except for the ranger station she had seen earlier and the white van that were off in that direction some 70 to 75 yards or so. She spotted [b]Sally[/b] in the distance, climbing onto the station's roof from within.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Zoe:

"There's somebody coming, over in the woods," she points to her front and left a bit, "let's find cover round the other side of the house. Quick!"
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

As the house stops shaking from the explosion, Dan runs to the window and begins making his way down the drainpipe.
zhirinovsky
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Post by zhirinovsky »

"Shit! what the hell was that?" Julie cried as she is thrown aback by the explosion. In response to Zoe's remark, she responds, nodding in agreement "Yeah, I heard something too. I think you may be right. Go, I'll wait for Dan."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In front of the house-
As Zoe started running around the other side of the house towards the back, the radio on her belt crackled to life. "Mutt, what the hell was that?" came Doc's voice. Lara and Raquel ran on towards the back of the house while Julie waited in front.

A moment later, Deadeye arrived from the woods at a run, coming from the direction Zoe had indicated. He held his rifle ready in his hands and was looking around, but luckily for Dan he did not look up. He came to a halt when he saw Julie. "Julie, what's going on?" he asked.
Julie St. James,[b]Julie[/b] could hear more footsteps, coming quickly from the same direction from which [b]Deadeye[/b] had arrived.
Outside the window-
Dan climbed out the window and grabbed onto the drainpipe as the women he had rescued ran around to the back of the house. Before he could climb down to the ground, Deadeye arrived below, and he heard his conversation with Julie. Deadeye did not appear to see him.
OOC,[b]Dan[/b], please roll Spot Hidden at 1/5 skill and Listen at full skill. You cannot shoot at [b]Deadeye[/b] this round, as it takes both hands to fire a rifle and you need at least one to hold onto the drainpipe. You gave your pistol to someone else, and you already used your grenade. You may if you wish climb down to the ground or back inside through the window as your action this turn.
Behind the house-
Lara reached the back of the house, followed by Zoe and then Raquel. The back door, which led into the lit kitchen, had been forced open just like the front door.
OOC,[b]Zoe[/b], please roll Spot Hidden at 1/5 skill and Listen at full skill again.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Zoe:

[ooc: Spot Hidden 1/5 Listen (1d100=76, 1d100=98)]

Whether caused by the explosion or excitement, she didn't know, but, there was a loud drumming sound in her ears. She holds a grenade in readiness and looks at the back door, trying to see into the kitchen.
"Lara, Raquel, there is a pistol on my belt, take it and watch out for Mutt and any of the others. Shoot on sight."
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

Dan attempts to climb back up the drain as quietly as possible. He can't see very well but he does hear something while he does.
Last edited by Voodoo on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Zoe Gallagher,[b]Zoe[/b] could see nobody in the kitchen. It looked just as she had left it.
Dan Aldrich,[b]Dan[/b] could hear footsteps, coming quickly from the same direction from which [b]Deadeye[/b] had arrived. [spoiler]Note that if you climb down, you will be seen. [b]Julie[/b] is standing at the bottom of the pipe, and she's already been spotted. Please let me know if you still want to climb down the rest of the way. If not, you can post a different action instead.[/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

ooc- edited Dans move.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Behind the house-
"Can anyone read me?" said Doc's voice from Zoe's radio.

"Nitro here," replied another voice. "Deadeye and I are with Julie, but no sign of the others yet. Damned if I know what's going on."

Lara already had Dan's revolver, which she clutched in her hand with an iron grip. She didn't see much, but she gasped and pointed away from the house. "Something's coming," she whispered. Raquel took the pistol from Zoe's belt and held it nervously. She couldn't see whatever was coming in the dark, and she couldn't quite hear it either...
Zoe Gallagher,...until it was too late! The shambling young man with red eyes came slowly out of the dark just a few yards away, his skin pale in the dim light coming from the kitchen. His arms were outstretched toward the three women as he plodded forward. [b]Lara[/b] [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2472362/]blanched in terror[/url], [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2472363/]overwhelmed[/url]. Her mind was blown, and she [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2472364/]barely was aware that her doom was upon her[/url]. She stood stock still and [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2472370/]burst into tears[/url]. [i]It can't end like this...[/i] she thought. [b]Raquel[/b], on the other hand, [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2472375/]managed to keep it together[/url]. [spoiler][b]Zoe[/b], roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1d10. If you do not go temporarily insane, you may act. If you choose to attack the zombie, you are too close to use the grenade without catching yourself and your friends in the blast radius, and you've given away your gun. You may use either unarmed combat or your knife (which has a base skill of 25%). You may also attempt to parry the zombie's Bite attack with the knife; your skill in the weapon is your chance to parry. If you choose to flee, make sure you specify which way. Trying to flee directly away from the house means the zombie gets to attack you as you pass. If you flee in any other direction (left, right, or backwards into the kitchen), the zombie will not get to attack you this round. If you want to try to drag [b]Lara[/b] with you, you'll have to roll on the Resistance Table: your STR of 13 against her SIZ of 11. This gives you a 60% chance. If you fail, neither of you goes anywhere this turn.[/spoiler]
In front of the house-
Julie stood motionless, too terrified to speak. Deadeye walked up to her, and Nitro came out of the woods behind him, carrying his AK-47 with attached bayonet. "What's the matter?" drawled Deadeye. "Cat got your tongue? Look, you shouldn't be out here all by your lonesome. Where's Dan? And where's your truck?"

"Can anyone read me?" asked Doc's voice on the skinheads' radios.

Nitro held his AK-47 in one hand and took out his radio. "Nitro here," he said. "Deadeye and I are with Julie, but no sign of the others yet. Damned if I know what's going on." He put the radio back on his belt and approached Julie. "Come on, let's get you inside."

Outside the window-
Seeing and hearing the skinheads below, Dan made his way back to the window and climbed back into the bedroom.

In the child's bedroom-
Dan stepped back onto the floor and turned to look out the window. Below, he could see Deadeye and Nitro standing just a few feet from Julie.
Dan Aldrich,[b]Dan[/b], if you want to fire at one of the skinheads, there's a danger of hitting [b]Julie[/b]. If you miss, you'll have to roll Luck. Your AK-47 can fire a burst, but if you do this, there's an even greater chance of hitting her. If you don't hit with all of the bullets in the burst, you'll need to roll Luck to make sure none of the stray rounds strike her. A burst could target both skinheads if you spread the bullets between them, but you won't gain any bonuses for firing multiple bullets and you'd have to make two rolls to hit at your normal skill, with only the +20 bonus because [b]Julie[/b]'s in danger. This means there's an even greater chance of hitting [b]Julie[/b], and of one or both skinheads surviving. The +20 does [i]not[/i] apply to the Luck roll. You could of course hold your fire.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”