IC-SWORD-Damsel in Distress(Dan/Julie/Zoe/Raquel/Lara)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC-SWORD-Damsel in Distress(Dan/Julie/Zoe/Raquel/Lara)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Behind the house-
Dan exited through the open back door and looked around for tracks, but there was a jumble of various footprints, and it was impossible for him to tell them apart. Maybe Julie would have better luck. As far as he knew, Mutt could be anywhere.
OOC,[b]Dan[/b], I rolled for you since you hadn't posted in so long. Also, please roll Listen.
In the living room-
Zoe Gallagher/Raquel Orozco/Lara Voronova/Julie St. James,[b]Julie[/b] dropped her pistol and put her hands up. "[b]Zoe[/b], what's gotten into you?!" she said. "We rescued you! Why are you doing this?" [b]Raquel[/b] gasped. "[b]Zoe[/b], don't point gun at her!" she cried. "This is [b]Doc[/b]," said [b]Doc[/b]'s voice from the skinheads' radio, as well as the one on [b]Zoe[/b]'s belt. "Is everything all right at your end?" [b]Lara[/b] took advantage of the moment to stride forward until she was face to face with [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2523855/][b]Deadeye[/b][/url]. "Don't interfere, [b]Julie[/b]," she said. "I have to kill them. They raped me, over and over. They'll rape you too if you give them a chance." She turned to [i]Deadeye[/i], leveling her revolver at him, and smiled for the first time in what seemed to her like forever. "On your knees!" [b]Deadeye[/b] dropped to his knees, clasping his hands together and looking up at [b]Lara[/b]. "Please don't kill me!" he pleaded. "Yes, beg for your worthless life, pig!" She pointed the barrel of her gun at his mouth. "Now it's your turn. Suck on it!" Sobbing, [b]Deadeye[/b] opened his mouth and reached out for the barrel as if to place it in his mouth. Suddenly, [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2523879/]he seized it and pointed it away from him[/url], leaping up and wrestling with [b]Lara[/b] for the gun as she tried in vain to shoot him. [spoiler][b]Zoe[/b], you may act now. If you want to try to shoot [b]Deadeye[/b], the base skill for Handgun is 20% and you are at normal range. If you miss, you must roll Luck to avoid hitting [b]Lara[/b]. If you make a hand-to-hand attack, you will not risk hitting her (unless, of course, you critically miss). Which pistol are you holding, the Desert Eagle or the Colt .45?[/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Zoe screams: "Lara! You've botched it, you idiot."
She shoves the Colt .45 into Julie's hand, reasoning that Julie must be a better shot than herself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Behind the house-
Dan could not hear a thing, not even Zoe's shout. He continued to look around behind the house, unable to make sense of the tracks.
OOC,Please post, as your absence means your character does nothing. You might also want to make the rolls yourself, as you'll probably roll better than I do. You could hardly roll worse!
In the living room-
Zoe Gallagher/Raquel Orozco/Lara Voronova/Julie St. James,[b]Zoe[/b] sprinted across the room and handed the pistol to [b]Julie[/b]. No sooner had [b]Julie[/b] closed her hand around the .45 than [b]Nitro[/b] had snatched up her dropped Glock and pointed it at her. "Drop your weapons, girls," he snarled. [spoiler][b]Zoe[/b], if you try to attack, [b]Nitro[/b] will be able to get off a shot first. You are at point blank range now - but so is he![/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Zoe draws a grenade: "I'll pull the ring and blow us all up. I mean it! Get out."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the living room-
Zoe Gallagher/Raquel Orozco/Lara Voronova/Julie St. James,A short burst of automatic gunfire in the distance ripped apart the night. "Let's go!" said [b]Deadeye[/b]. "He'll be back any second!" To [b]Zoe[/b]'s dismay, she now saw the [b]Lara[/b] had already relinquished her hold on her gun, and [b]Deadeye[/b] now held it to pressed to her back in his right hand. He slipped his left arm around her waist and backpedaled out the front door, using her as a shield. "Nobody follow us - or else!" [b]Lara[/b] screamed as he dragged her out into the night, her legs uselessly kicking the air. [b]Nitro[/b] followed right behind him, backing away and with his gun trained through the doorway. [spoiler]Everyone roll Listen to see if you can determine from which direction the gunfire came.[/spoiler]
Behind the house-
A short burst of automatic fire in the distance snapped Dan out of his reverie, and then he heard Lara scream. Was she screaming because of the shooting, or something else?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

[ooc: Listen (1d100=36) 40%]

"Who's 'he'? What did Deadeye mean?
"That stupid cow Lara, she has landed herself right in the crap." Nonetheless, Zoe follows the men and Lara at a safe distance.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Zoe Gallagher,The gunfire was coming from the same direction as the ranger station.
Zoe Gallagher/Raquel Orozco/Julie St. James,"[b]Zoe[/b], wait!" hissed [b]Julie[/b]. "They're still too near, and they'll hear you coming. And don't go until [b]Dan[/b] gets back." The radio on [b]Zoe[/b]'s belt crackled to life. "[b]Dan[/b], [b]Mutt[/b] is attacking us," said [b]Sally[/b] on the other end. "[b]Doc[/b] is dead and both [b]Katarina[/b] and I are badly wounded. We need help." [spoiler][b]Zoe[/b], roll Idea to try to figure out what [b]Deadeye[/b] meant. If you want to go outside this turn, roll Sneak. The base skill is 10%.[/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

It doesn't take much persuading from Julie to halt Zoe.
"That gunfire came from the direction of the ranger station."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'll be taking over [b]Dan[/b] as an NPC until Voodoo returns.
Behind the house-
Dan turned and ran back inside when he heard the shooting.

In the kitchen-
Dan raced through the kitchen. "What's going on?" he asked.

In the living room-
"Mutt, we escaped and we're on our way to join you," said Nitro's voice on Zoe's radio. "We've also got a present for you: Lara."

"Good job, guys," replied Mutt. "Sally, listen up, you little bitch. Drop your weapons and come down from there with Katarina and I'll spare your life. I can kill you any time I want, but I'd rather not."

"Lara and Zoe tried to kill Deadeye when you were gone," called Julie into the kitchen, "and it went bad. He grabbed the gun and Lara, and he and Nitro escaped out the front! Now Sally's called in and told us that Mutt killed Doc, and she and Katarina are hurt bad! They need help!"

Zoe could hear the skinheads' footsteps retreating into the distance. They were heading for the ranger station. "No!" shouted Lara's voice faintly in the distance. After a short pause, she shouted again. "NO!"
Lara Voronova,[b]In the woods-[/b] [b]Deadeye[/b] hauled [b]Lara[/b] into the woods away from the house, heading back toward the ranger station. [b]Nitro[/b] followed a couple of yards behind, taking his radio back and glancing over his shoulder at the farmhouse as he ran. "[b]Dan[/b], [b]Mutt[/b] is attacking us," said [b]Sally[/b] on the skinheads' radios. "[b]Doc[/b] is dead and both [b]Katarina[/b] and I are badly wounded. We need help." "[b]Mutt[/b], we escaped and we're on our way to join you," said [b]Nitro[/b] over the radio. "We've also got a present for you: [b]Lara[/b]." "Good job, guys," replied [b]Mutt[/b]. "[b]Sally[/b], listen up, you little bitch. Drop your weapons and come down from there with [b]Katarina[/b] and I'll spare your life. I can kill you any time I want, but I'd rather not." "Keep moving, [b]Lara[/b]," said [b]Deadeye[/b], tugging her along at gunpoint. "You've got a date with [b]Mutt[/b]." "No!" cried [b]Lara[/b]. "Oh, yes. And when he's done with you, then it's our turn." [b]Deadeye[/b] and [b]Nitro[/b] chuckled. "NO!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I wanna follow.
"Listen, you rangers, this gang are homicidal maniacs; if you get a chance to shoot one of them, then do it. Forget about the safety of hostages because this crew will certainly kill us if they get any chance. And if they capture you and you are female... well, I don't need to elaborate.
"Lara messed up: her life is secondary now to everyone else. These scum must die."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the living room-
Julie shivered at Zoe's statement, aware of how close she had come to that fate.

A distant explosion rang out. Zoe could tell that it also came from the direction of the ranger station. The footsteps and voices outside were no longer audible.

Dan burst back into the room. "I never should have left the room," he said, shaking his head. "From now on, we go everywhere together. No more splitting up. I won't go out of my way to try to bring these creeps in alive, but Lara is not expendable, and neither are Sally or Katarina. We're going to save them, understand?"

"Don't try to blame everything on Lara, either, Zoe," said Julie. "You turned your gun on me to give her the chance, remember? I know you're distraught, but we're all on the same side and we have to work together. We can't sacrifice Lara for the sake of revenge."

"I want them dead too," said Raquel, "but not at the cost of Lara's life. Bad enough Alicia died when Jeff took her hostage. We can't let that happen again. But, wait, Zoe, you have that tear gas grenade you took from one of them. That can take them out and leave Lara alive!"
Lara Voronova,[b]In the woods-[/b] The explosion sounded in the distance as [b]Deadeye[/b] dragged [b]Lara[/b] along at gunpoint. She [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2536031/]couldn't see what was going on[/url], and [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2536036/]neither could he[/url]. [b]Nitro[/b] dropped a little further behind, but [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2536047/]he got a better view[/url]. "Damn!" he said. "[b]Katarina[/b]'s up on the roof of the ranger station, and she just threw a grenade at [b]Mutt[/b]! I see [b]Sally[/b] up there with her." "Good, I hope she killed him!" [b]Lara[/b] spat back.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Zoe listens to the comments: "No-one is expendable," she repeats, "it should be so, but, it's them or us; I ain't volunteering to be the one to die. The point is: these guys do not have the same ideals as us, if we get mushy over Lara's fate we'll all end up dead or worse."
"The tear gas grenade: that'll do the trick!
"Come on then, let's go. Dan, you lead the way."
Last edited by Tabs on Sat May 29, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the living room-
Dan led the small group out through the open front door, with Julie bringing up the rear.

Outside the house-
Dan, Zoe, Raquel, and Julie exited the house. The white pickup truck was still parked right outside, but it was locked.

"Our own truck's parked about 50 yards south," said Julie. "Do we have time to go get it?"

"Zoe's good with locks and cars," said Raquel. "She got us out of the van. Zoe, maybe you can pick the lock on their truck and hotwire it."

"We might just want to follow them on foot," said Dan. "They'll hear a vehicle coming for certain. Can anyone see them?"
OOC,Everyone, roll Spot Hidden at 1/5 skill, due to the darkness. [b]Zoe[/b], if you decide to try to break into the truck, you may either roll Locksmith to pick the lock, or you may roll Fist/Punch or Large Club (using the shotgun as a club) to break a window.
Lara Voronova,[b]Deadeye[/b] pulled [b]Lara[/b] onwards, while [b]Nitro[/b] lagged a bit more behind. "You shut up," said [b]Deadeye[/b], "or I'll shut you up." He jammed the barrel of his gun into her spine.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

[ooc: Spot Hidden (1d100=15)]

"I agree with the ranger, 'follow on foot'."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the woods-
Zoe could make out a faint glow in the distance that was probably light from the ranger station, but she couldn't see any details, nor could she spot the skinheads or Lara. Dan, however, saw exactly where they were. "Deadeye's got Lara some fifty yards ahead of us," he whispered, "and Nitro is some six yards behind them. The tear gas grenade won't catch all of them, and Nitro could still kill Lara even if we take out Deadeye. It'll be tricky if you can't see them either, as you'd have to guess the range. I can't throw accurately enough to have a good shot at it, and we'll only have one chance. They're moving faster than us, but hopefully we'll get a chance to catch them both together. Let's go."

Dan led the way towards the ranger station, followed by Zoe. Raquel and Julie, brought up the rear, slowing down the group a little. The party was nearly a third of the way to the road near the ranger station. "Deadeye and Lara are at the van now," reported Dan. "They're 50 to 55 yards ahead, that way. Crap, I think we've been seen!" He pointed into the distance. "If you throw now, you might catch them, but it seems risky to me and it won't stop Nitro. If you miss, it could be even more disastrous. I saw Sally and Katarina slide down the zipline, so at least they got out of there."
OOC,[b]Zoe[/b], if you want to try to throw the tear gas grenade now, roll Throw at half skill since you can't actually see your targets and you're just going by where you've been told they are. If you want to keep moving closer instead, let me know. You're now about five turns from reaching the van. This update encompassed two turns.
Lara Voronova,[b]In the woods-[/b] [b]Deadeye[/b] hauled [b]Lara[/b] the rest of the way to the road. "[b]Nitro[/b], they're following us!" said [b]Deadeye[/b], [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2541684/]looking back[/url].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Dan, I'll hold back with the tear gas grenade -- I wanna make sure it counts." Zoe continues to follow.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the woods-
Dan and Zoe continued to lead the group onwards. "I know you're following us," came Nitro's voice from Zoe's radio. "Now back off, or Lara's going to pay for it!"

"Damn, they disappeared around the van!" said Dan. "It's blocking my view of them, and I can't see them any more. We're still over forty yards away."
Lara Voronova,[b]In the woods-[/b] [b]Deadeye[/b] dragged [b]Lara[/b] around the van and into the woods beyond, heading for where he had seen [b]Mutt[/b]'s corpse south of the ranger station. He signaled for [b]Nitro[/b] to follow. [b]Nitro[/b] continued around the van and after them. "I know you're following us," he said into his radio. "Now back off, or [b]Lara[/b]'s going to pay for it!" [b]Lara[/b] whimpered as [b]Deadeye[/b] pulled her over to where [b]Mutt[/b] lay, his leg blown to bits and blood seeping from his many wounds. She had seen enough blood and gore lately that it didn't affect her any further. In fact, she was quite pleased to see the body, as she was glad he was dead at last. She was only sorry she hadn't killed him herself. "You're hurting me!" she protested. "Good," said [b]Deadeye[/b].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Zoe says: "I've seen plenty of war films: before we advance on the van, Julie should make a detour and cover our and the van's flank."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the woods-
Everyone stopped after hearing Nitro's threat.

"Me?!" said Julie. "By myself?"

"No, absolutely not," said Dan. "It's too dangerous. What if something went wrong and they got their hands on you?"

"What about the truck?" asked Raquel. "They already saw us coming. Maybe our only chance is to come at them quickly."

Sally's voice came from Zoe's radio: "We've got you surrounded boys. I don't give a shit if you live or die, but you're not taking Lara with you in that van. Throw your weapons as far as you can towards the ranger station and release Lara. Then get in the van and get the fuck out of here."
OOC,[b]Zoe[/b], roll Persuade if you still want to convince [b]Julie[/b] to try to flank them.
Lara Voronova,[b]In the woods-[/b] [b]Nitro[/b] caught up with [b]Deadeye[/b] and [b]Lara[/b], [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2551949/]gasping in shock[/url] when he saw [b]Mutt[/b] lying dead. "Those bitches killed him!" he cried, [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2551951/]stricken with fear and rage[/url]. "They went down the zipline and are in the woods somewhere. Let's go hunt them down. I can't wait to nail that [b]Sally[/b]. Be good to have [b]Katarina[/b] again too." "We don't have time for that," said [b]Deadeye[/b]. "We have to get out of here before those rangers catch up with us. Here, take your AK back and hold onto [b]Lara[/b]." [b]Nitro[/b] took the AK-47 and slung it on his back, then grabbed [b]Lara[/b] roughly and held his pistol to her. [b]Deadeye[/b] searched [b]Mutt[/b]'s body, taking off his utility belt and putting it around his waist above his own belt. Then he slung [b]Mutt[/b]'s pack over one shoulder, holstered his revolver, and snatched up the M-16. He went through [b]Mutt[/b]'s pockets. "Okay, I've got his keys. Let's go." [b]Sally[/b]'s voice came from the skinheads' radios: "We've got you surrounded boys. I don't give a shit if you live or die, but you're not taking [b]Lara[/b] with you in that van. Throw your weapons as far as you can towards the ranger station and release [b]Lara[/b]. Then get in the van and get the fuck out of here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Julie, you chicken! Right, I'll go round and flank them."

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”