IC-OMAHA-Another Fine Mess(Everyone else)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-Another Fine Mess(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Dr. Saunders remained at her post.

In the science lab-
Sunlight streaming through the windows on the east wall illuminated the room and enabled Declan to see, but it was getting dimmer, especially since the sun was now in the west. He noticed that the wheelbarrow containing tools, weapons, and electrical gear was leaning against the wall near the door where he and Donald had left it. He found the chemical storage cabinets easily enough, but he didn't know the first thing about chemistry. This must have been where Stephanie had gotten the acid to fill those flasks for the two of them.

In the security office-
Megan Petrovich and Kyle Rogers,"Aren't you being a little paranoid?" asked [b]Kyle[/b]. "[b]Tariq[/b] has worked here for years! His son goes to this school." "There's just something hinky about the way those guys were talking," said [b]Megan[/b]. I can't put my finger on it, but I have this gut feeling. It's never been wrong before."
In the lobby-
Amelia walked through the lobby, past the doorway to the security office and into the east hall.

In the cafeteria-
"If any bad guys try to come here," Teresa told Diana, "Rachel Cohen will kick their butts. She's awesome!"

"Yes," said Ali, "but she is only one person. We will need more defenders to protect the school. We will need a plan."

"Well, we do have a lot of people here,," said Elijah. "If we can organize everyone, nobody will want to mess with the school when there are easier targets out there."

"Those scientists who flew in with us on the helicopter," explained Dr. Smith to Rashad, "Dr. Hausmann and her assistant Stephanie, they told us that this threat came from outer space. They had been working on cracking the aliens' language, and they finally did it about an hour ago. They used a communications project that this school was working on with NASA to beam a message into space basically telling the aliens 'mission accomplished.' We don't know if it worked or not."

"I find this hard to believe," said Samir. "Has anyone seen these so-called aliens?"

"No," said Lucy, "but they did meet someone who had seen these mosquito-like creatures that had come out of the meteorites that fell last night. They have lethal stings that killed lots of people who were then reanimated electrically by the aliens, according to their theory, but the creatures couldn't survive long in Earth's atmosphere and soon died off."

"Do you believe them?"

"They seem to know what they're talking about, and they were right about the EMP."

In the kitchen-
Sharon looked around the deserted kitchen. Pots were simmering on the gas range, and more food was cooking in the ovens. It all smelled wonderful. There was a sink in the kitchen too, and plenty of containers that could be used to store water for later. Stairs descended into total darkness, leading to the basement, and the fire door lay flat on the floor just inside the doorway, which had been barricaded.

South of the school-
Tiny patted Emilio's leg with a forepaw and looked up at him.

Southeast of the school-
Jerry followed the others into the construction site.

In the construction area-
Ron Moore, LaTanya, and Kelly followed Donald and Rachel around the corner to the north side of the school.

North of the school-
Donald returned to the door to the north stairwell and unlocked it with his keys. Principal Adler, Kate, Miguel, and Emily entered the stairwell. Rachel, the coach, and the girls arrived from the construction area not far behind them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

South of the school

"Yes, my boy! We have to wait for a treat to sniff. Then we´ll head out hunting. Yeah. Hunting!"
Emilio tickles Tiny behind the ear and gets up from his rear and overlooks the school yard.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Rashad listens intently. They've figured out the alien's language? Did they detect any other transmissions?
Trott
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by Trott »

In the cafeteria-
Diana bit her lip. "Sure, I guess there are enough people here. Do you guys believe the scientists? I mean, alien mosquitoes? C'mon. What would the point of them coming here only to die be? There has to be more. If this was one of my sci-fi books, the mosquitoes would be the advance guard of an alien invasion force. Sent to throw humanity into turmoil. So the main invasion force has an easier time, y'know?"

In the kitchen-
Sharon continued inside to the basement stairs, and looked around for a light switch. She might as well have a bit of a nosy around before Amelia returned.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

North Side

Donald held the door open until the last person passed through, then shut the door behind them making sure it was locked again. "I have the tools, do we know which locker it is?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

Rachel Cohen-

To Donald: "You are the most concientious handyman ever, the school is lucky to have you."

She says aloud: "I'm going to the cafeteria to get something to eat."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Dr. Saunders checked on the EMP device to make sure it was still working properly.

In the science lab-
Declan continued to stare at the rows of chemicals.

In the security office-
Megan Petrovich and Kyle Rogers,"Look, those punks are the real danger," said [b]Kyle[/b]. "You don't need to go imagining trouble when we've got plenty already. If you can talk to someone who can get me out of here, I want to go after those scum. They almost beat me to death." "That's more reason why you should stay here," said [b]Megan[/b]. "You're too badly hurt to go running around or getting into fights."
In the east hall, ground floor-
Amelia returned to the cafeteria.

In the cafeteria-
"I don't rightly know," said Dr. Smith to Rashad.

"I guess you could ask them yourself," said Lucy. "The scientists are all sitting at that table at the back of the cafeteria, near the kitchen."

Amelia entered from the hallway. "Main course is in ten to fifteen minutes," she said. "Tariq, you eat up, but I'll need you in there in about ten minutes to help serve."

"Oh, you're absolutely right, Diana," Stephanie said from the next table over, where she sat with the other sceintists. "The mosquitos couldn't possibly be the masterminds. They're being used as pawns by the true evil behind this. Shock troops like you said, or some form of biological weapon. I came to the same conclusion myself when I first heard how fragile those insects are. I don't know if the aliens plan to invade, or if they merely want to wipe us all out, but it's my hope that they went home after we sent that message."

In the kitchen-
Sharon easily found the light switch at the top of the stairs and flicked it, but nothing happened. She realized that the EMP device had to have fried the generator. All of the lights in the school had gone out when it had first been activated, and the only light was the meager sunlight coming through the window, which wouldn't last much more than an hour or so. The basement was pitch black.

South of the school-
Tiny trotted over to the side of the stairs and took a whiz while Emilio looked around. He couldn't see much from here, as most of the schoolyard was blocked by the building itself. The baseball diamond was on the west side of the school, and the football field was way at the back of the school grounds. From here he could see the parking lot and the street, but there was no activity nearby outside the school that he could detect. It was as quiet as the grave.

In the construction area-
Jerry hurried around the corner after the others.

North of the school-
Rachel, Donald, Ron Moore, LaTanya, and Kelly entered through the door. Jerry came from around the corner, rushing to catch the door before it closed.

In the north stairwell, ground floor-
"I know exactly which locker is hers," said Principal Adler. "It's on the balcony not far from the entrance to the north hall. Third one on the right. Her brother's locker is right next to it. We might want to get into that one too. Thank you, Donald. Rachel is right. You're doing an excellent job, and I'm glad to have you. This way." He led the group upstairs.

"Take care of yourself, Rachel," said Kate. "If you find anyone in the cafeteria who wants to come with us, tell them to meet us outside the east stairwell." She followed the principal upstairs, and Miguel and Emily also went along.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Trott
Layman
Layman

Post by Trott »

In the cafeteria-
"Oh really?" replied Diana to Stephanie. "I guess all those hours spent watching old B-movies was time well spent. I don't think they'll give up that easily though. We managed to deal with all the zombies here, but everywhere else would be overrun by now. We're just a tiny oasis, nothing more. If there really is an 'invasion force', us stopping them here won't matter in the bigger scheme of things. For all we know, we could be the last people left. Unless you've heard any communications from elsewhere?"

In the kitchen-
Sharon rolled her eyes at her absentmindedness. Amelia didn't seem to be coming back any time soon. She went over to inspect the soup.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

It was easy to tell Donald was flattered by Rachel's kind words. He smiled in response and tilted his head with a nod, "Thank you ma'am."

He looked to the Principal next and responded, "Just doin' what I'm paid for, boss. A custodian's job is never done." He followed along to the balcony where the lockers would be located, identified, and violated by his tools. He hoped he didn't have to damage the door to get it open. The lock would be easy to replace.
Barandis
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years

Post by Barandis »

Declan finally remebers the rough quantities of potassium nitrate to sugar to cook together to make a dirty but functional bang. It's not semtex but it will do for a kitchen nailbomb. He begins to grab some likely looking equipment
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,You do realize that you have no actual points in Chemistry, right? That gives you a 01% in the skill, which is not exactly a good thing when trying to make a chemical bomb. ;) You could use your considerably better Electrical Repair skill to make more conventional bombs in your workshop (which is the sort of thing you did back in the day), or you could try to find someone with a good Chemistry skill to whip something up out of these chemicals.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Rashad turns around in his seat and faces Dr. Bridges. I do not think they will leave so easily. If they really want us, and they've got space ships, there's not really a whole lot we can do about that. Have you heard anything back from them?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

Rachel Cohen-
It was easy to tell Donald was flattered by Rachel's kind words. He smiled in response and tilted his head with a nod, "Thank you ma'am."
She smiles at Donald and gives a slight nod in acknowledgement.
"Take care of yourself, Rachel," said Kate. "If you find anyone in the cafeteria who wants to come with us, tell them to meet us outside the east stairwell."
"Will do.
"Does anyone want food? I can get crackers or something sent over."
Barandis,I advise Declan to go ahead with the chemical bomb. The result should be spectacular :twisted: .
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

Michiko

-I don't know how the aliens mind work, but if they are similar to us I doubt. I mean, after all the work they had, just leaving the planet doesn't make many sense.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Dr. Saunders continued to monitor the machine.

In the science lab-
Declan quickly found the chemicals he needed, as the containers were helpfully labeled. Together with the parts and tools that he had picked up in the workshop, he could start assembling a simple homemade bomb.
OOC,[b]Declan[/b], since you came from the workshop and you had this intention all along, I'll say you picked up whatever you needed in the workshop. It's better to work up here anyway, as there are windows letting sunlight in, unlike in the workshop. I also added the nail gun and nails to your weapons list. Roll Electrical Repair to start assembling a pipe bomb. You'll use ten nails per bomb (you have 50 in all, including what's loaded in the nail gun), and it takes ten minutes to build each one under normal circumstances. A failed roll will slow you down, and a very good success may speed things up. You started on it last turn, so that turn and this one count as two minutes so far. There will also be a gap of time between Chapters 5 and 6 to work on these, so you'll likely be building a bomb for the rest of the chapter, seeing as it's nearing the end.
In the security office-
Megan Petrovich and Kyle Rogers,"Please," said [b]Kyle[/b]. "Nobody wants them taken down more than I do." "I think [b]Emily Lubachek[/b] would beg to differ," said [b]Megan[/b]. "[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2586475/]I'm not going to change my mind[/url], anyway. Just sit tight and cool your heels."
In the cafeteria-
Amelia walked through the cafeteria and into the kitchen.

"We were in contact with Warren Air Force Base earlier," said Stephanie. "They were still operating at the time, and as far as I know they still are. I'm sure there must be other survivors out there, especially in rural areas with low population density. Omaha's a big city, and there are probably thousands still left alive here. That's enough to start rebuilding, but it will take years before we're back on our feet. We haven't had any recent communications, and we wouldn't have heard a response from the aliens. Right after we sent the message, we had to activate the EMP device to keep from being overrun. That fried our communications gear. And I do have reason to believe that the aliens left, or at least reason to hope. You see, there were communications that were intercepted previously sent from the Earth into space. Someone or something on this planet called them here to do this job. With our message, we spoofed those communications protocols and used the aliens' language to tell them the job was done. If their ships stayed around, there wouldn't be much we could do, but if they truly are gone, that at least gives us a chance."

"What if we could find a telescope and see if the ships are there?" suggested Elijah. "Dr. Saunders works for NASA, so she'd know where to find one."

"What if their ships have a cloaking device or something?" said Ali.

"Well, it's true that if we didn't see them, that doesn't mean they aren't there," said Stephanie. "But if we didn't detect them and they are there, that doesn't necessarily mean they have some form of stealth technology. It would be easy to hide a fleet of spaceships behind the moon, and we'd never see it. They'd only need to come out of hiding to initiate an attack. Still, if they can cross interstellar distances, chances are they have something along those lines to help them avoid detection."

In the kitchen-
Sharon saw that the soup was still hot, as it had been left simmering on the range. Amelia walked back in from the cafeteria and noticed her standing there. "Can I help you?" she asked.

South of the school-
Tiny trotted back over to Emilio, his business done. He rubbed against his leg.

Jerry entered and made sure the door locked shut behind him.

Donald, Ron Moore, LaTanya, and Kelly followed the principal upstairs, while Rachel left through the door into the hall.

In the north stairwell, upper floor-
Principal Adler and Kate led Miguel and Emily through the door to the upstairs hall as Donald and the others arrived from below. Donald was condifent that he could pry off the lock from the locker without damaging the door by using the claw end of a hammer. He had done it before, and with luck the lock would even still be usable.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

-What? You mean someone from earth knew about the alien, discovered their language and asked to create this mess in earth? Why would they obey? And why would someone in earth try to destroy civilization. Well, actually, there are lot's of people who would do that.
Barandis
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years

Post by Barandis »

ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

In the north stairwell, upper floor-

Donald pulled out the hammer from his arsenal of tools available and said, "All right, point it out and stand back."
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Alvin finished his soup and looked around to see if there was more food.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Trott
Layman
Layman

Post by Trott »

In the kitchen-
Sharon smiles at Amelia. "Ah, Amelia, you're back. I have a question to ask you. It seems we're going to be stuck here for a while. What's the situation of our food and water stocks? Do we have enough to take care of everyone? I'm just worried about how we're going to cope if more people turn up."

In the cafeteria-
Diana turns to Michiko. "Maybe they had something to gain from an invasion. They could have been offered power if they helped the aliens. But that seems a stupid thing to do. What about sleeper cells? Like alien spies that look human, but who are secretly gathering information to help with the attack."

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”