IC-OMAHA-Another Fine Mess(Everyone else)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-Another Fine Mess(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Dr. Saunders ate some more of her soup.

In the science lab-
Declan completed his first pipe bomb. It wouldn't do a tremendous amount of damage, but it would spread nails and shrapnel over a wide area. He had enough components to build more, if he wished to spend the time.
OOC,[b]Declan[/b], roll Electrical Repair if you wish to make another bomb.
In the security office-
Kyle waited for his guard to return.

In the cafeteria-
"Oh, the beings that called the exterminators aren't going anywhere," said Stephanie. "We still have to worry about them. But I'm hoping the exterminators themselves were fooled. After all, what exterminator is going to suspect that the vermin it came to wipe out can call it on the phone and tell it the job is done? Of course, we still have a lot of trouble left, and we have to make sure that the exterminators don't get called back. Humanity is an endangered species now, and we're going to have to get used to it."

Liz nodded solemnly. "We have to learn how to think like cockroaches now," she said. "The only way for the species to survive is to mimic nature's ultimate survivors."

"Please, you're both jumping to conclusions," interjected Dr. Edward Singh, speaking at last. "This is sheer speculation!"

Tariq rose. "There is still a little gumbo left in the pot," he said to Rachel. "I will get some for you. The main course should be ready in about five to ten minutes." He went into the kitchen.

In the kitchen-
Tariq entered and found Amelia working. "Rachel Cohen has returned and desires some gumbo," he said.

"Comin' right up," said Amelia. She filled a bowl, placed a spoon in it, and handed it to Tariq before returning her attention to her cooking.

Southeast of the school-
Tiny began pacing, walking in a circle around Emilio and winding the leash around his legs.

On the balcony-
When Donald tried to pull the hammer back, it slipped from his grip and sailed over the balcony railing, landing in the lobby below with a clunk.

"I could climb down there and throw it back up," suggested Kelly.
OOC,[b]Donald[/b], if you want to try to force open the locker door without a hammer, you'll need to roll STR x 2.
In the lobby-
Megan stopped and instinctively crouched low when the hammer fell from above, narrowly missing her. "Hey, careful there!" she called up to the balcony. She picked up the hammer and tossed it back upwards, but it didn't get anywhere near high enough and crashed back to the floor with a clatter.

In the southeast hall, upper floor-
Ron followed Emily and the others down the hall. Emily threw open the door to the east stairwell and breezed inside, followed by Kate, Miguel, and LaTanya.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Barandis
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by Barandis »

Declan begins building another bomb deftly slotting the components together.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Post by ryansommer »

Ron follows Emily. "We should think about what our plan will be if we can't talk some sense into these kids"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

On the balcony-
Donald wiped his palms clean, all that walking about must have gave him sweaty palms. He hadn't realized just how slippery they were until after the hammer sailed out of his grip. With a sheepish grin, he held up a finger to Kelly, "Let's see if I can just man-handle it open."
Bare-handed attempt succeeds,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2624881/]Strength x2 (26%) (1d100=23)[/url]
In the lobby-
Donald's voice comes from above on the balcony, "Sorry about that. Don't worry about it, just lay it next to the stairs, I'll get it in a few moments."
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Rashad thinks for a moment. Do you know if the same thing is happening elsewhere? Are the... dead rising all over the world?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Rachel-

"Thank you, Tariq." She sits down at a table.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

Michiko

-We actually don't know if they really exist, it could be simply the aliens who came here for some unknow reason. But if an ancient race exist in earth, we know this: they don't have power enouth to eliminate us. At least for now.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Dr. Saunders slurped up her soup, nearing the bottom of the bowl.

In the science lab-
Declan got to work on his second bomb. It was slower going, but he was making decent progress.
OOC,It will take ten turns to finish the bomb, including the last one and the current one.
In the lobby-
"The stairs?" Megan called up to the balcony. "I can't really leave my post until someone comes to relieve me, but I'll put it on the security desk here in the meantime." She placed the hammer on Jerry's desk in the lobby and returned to the security office.

In the security office-
"You doing okay?" asked Megan when she returned.

"Just waiting her for someone to kill me," muttered Kyle.

"Look, I told you I'm not going to let that happen. The kids who beat you are gone, and they're not coming back if they have any brains."

"That's just it. They don't have any brains."

In the kitchen-
Tariq returned to the cafeteria while Amelia continued putting the finishing touches on the main course.

In the cafeteria-
"Come sit with us, Rachel," said Liz, waving her over.

Tariq came back and placed the bowl of gumbo and a spoon on the table in front of Rachel.

"I'm afraid this is happening everywhere," said Stephanie. "This morning I was in contact with various people all over the country and in other parts of the world, and it's the same story everywhere. First the meteors with those alien insects came, then the cities were swarmed with the walking dead. Michiko, if there are other creatures living on this planet that want us dead, I'm hoping that they can't wipe us out by themselves and that that's why they asked for outside help. But it's possible that they simply didn't want to take the effort or the risk. They'd want to keep a low profile, so that we don't even know they exist, but if they're desperate enough or we cause them enough grief, they could take matters into their own hands - or claws, or tentacles, or whatever they have."

"Oh, please," said Dr. Singh. "It's a biological impossibility, like young Miss Forester said."

"What about the reanimated corpses?" asked Liz. "Twenty-four hours ago you would have said that those are a biological impossibility, and yet here we are."

On the balcony-
Donald ripped open the locker with his bare hands.

"Wow, Mr. Woodridge!" said Kelly, her mouth hanging open.

"Good work," said the principal.

Inside the locker, Donald couldn't see a coat. Presumably Doug had it with him, along with his bookbag, which was also not present. There were various school textbooks and papers in the locker, along with other personal possessions.
OOC,[b]Donald[/b], roll Spot Hidden if you want to search the locker more thoroughly. The base skill is 25%.
In the east stairwell, upper floor-
Ron followed the others into the stairwell. The east stairs were barricaded, of course, but it was still possible to open the fire exit and go out onto the fire escape. Emily did just that, along with Kate, Miguel, and LaTanya.

Outside the school-
"Hey, Emilio!" called Emily from the fire escape on the southeast corner of the school as she waved the coat. "We've got it!" She lowered the ladder to the ground.

Tiny barked excitedly when he heard Emily call. He started trotting around Emilio in the other direction, unwinding the leash from around his legs.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Ron followed the others out onto the fire escape and climbed down when it was free to use.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Emilio jogs over to the scape and holds it while Emily scales it down. He is careful not to trip on the leash as Tiny drags him towards the ladder.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-Unless Dr Singh, you want to accept some religious explanation that we are being punish by our sins, that's the most logical answer. Because only humans are reanimating, so it cannot be a simple mutation or natural virus.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Rachel picks up her bowl of gumbo and carries it across to Liz where she sits down.
"Thanks."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Spot Hidden - failed,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2647511/]Spot Hidden (25%) (1d100=50)[/url]
Smiling, pleased with himself, Donald says "Always remember to take your vitamins, boys and girls." Donald set the locker door on the ground and took a cursory glance within the locker. Not seeing anything of interest, he stepped aside and started examining the locker door to see if there'd be an easy way to repair it. He imagined he'd have to hammer it flat again before he tried.
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by kouchpotato »

Rashad taps his fingers on the table. Is the army still functioning?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Dr. Saunders finished her soup.

In the science lab-
Declan kept working on his second pipe bomb.
OOC,It will take eight more turns to finish, including the current one.
In the security office-
"Look, if they come back, we'll be ready for them," said Megan. "We're also working on tracking them down. They're not going to get you."

"If you send a bunch of people out looking for them," said Kyle, "we'll be more vulnerable here. Tell me I'm wrong."

Megan wished she could.

In the kitchen-
Amelia tasted her food and nodded to herself. "About five more minutes," she said.

In the cafeteria-
"Well, the Air Force certainly is," said Stephanie. "I was in contact with Warren Air Force Base near Cheyenne this morning, and they were operational at that time."

"Religion?" said Dr. Singh. "Pah, don't get me started on religion. There are plenty of natural diseases out there that affect only humans, though sometimes animals act as carriers."

"Well, there aren't any natural diseases that reanimate the dead, that's for sure," said Liz. "This thing was engineered." She smiled at Rachel. "You're welcome, Rachel. Any updates on the situation?"

"Actually, animals can be affected," said Stephanie. "I did see a reanimated dog, but I didn't see the dead go after dogs, just humans."
OOC,Anyone in the cafeteria may roll Natural History (base skill of 10%) or Biology (base skill of 1%), whichever is higher.
On the balcony-
Donald saw could probably repair the door in about ten minutes, but would it be the best use of his time? Yes, it was an eyesore and he couldn't stand leaving something like that unfixed, but there was so much that was messed up in the school that he needed to prioritize what was important. His rumbling stomach also reminded him that he was starting to get hungry.

Principal Adler searched Doug's locker thoroughly and soon found a baggie full of ganja in a cleverly concealed false bottom in a cigar box full of school supplies. "Well, well," he said to Donald and Jerry Law. "We should have had random locker searches more often. Might have turned this up sooner."

"You think he was dealing it, or just using it?" asked Kelly.

"Oh, it's quite possible he's a dealer, given what I've heard. There's not enough in here for him to sell. He probably has his main stash on his person or hidden somewhere else. What I just found was probably for personal use."
OOC,[b]Donald[/b], roll Mechanical Repair if you want to start fixing the locker.
Outside the school-
Ron joined the others out on the fire escape while Emily climbed down the ladder. Kate, LaTanya, and Miguel stood aside to let Ron climb down next.

When Emily got to the ground, Tiny hobbled up to her and licked her happily. "Good to see you, boy," she said, holding out the coat for him. "Get a whiff of this, and see if you can track down Lisa Marley." The dog sniffed the coat and barked with excitement, straining at the leash to go after her. "Good boy! He's got the scent, everyone!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by kouchpotato »

Rashad is stumped. Well atleast if there is still an army we can fight back against anything else that tries to attack us.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Jerry
-We could try to see if we find anything else useful n the lockers. Food or guns, anything can be interesting.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Look alive, everyone" Ron said. "It would not do anyone any good to stumble right into their midst."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Donald frowned at indecision for a moment before putting the door inside the opened locker. "I'll take care of this later." He looked at the baggie that Adler found and chuckled. They had bigger things to worry about than a few pot heads. He said to the others, "Well, speaking of the herb, I'm getting the munchies. Guess I'll be heading down to the cafeteria if you're done with me."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Rachel Cohen-
"You're welcome, Rachel. Any updates on the situation?"
Rachel chomps her gumbo with gusto -- her manners are dreadful.
"Sorry! but I'm starving.
"Officer Wheeler and others are trying to get Tiny, the dog, to follow one of the students who was taken by the armed gang. It is thought the gang are holed up nearby."

[ooc: Natural History (1d100=14)]

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”