IC-OMAHA-Another Fine Mess(Everyone else)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-Another Fine Mess(Everyone else)

Post by Dave Syrinx »

After having rested his feet for a while, Emilio takes Tiny for a walk to the hole in the fence and waits for the others. That´s where the car sped away and there´s they´d begin the tracking. "Just wait a bit longer, T."
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Dr. Saunders took another look around from her vantage point on the roof.

In the science lab-
Even though it had been decades, Declan's hands still remembered how to build a bomb, and he was making excellent progress.
OOC,Since you rolled such a good success, it will only take three more turns to finish making your first bomb, including this one.
In the security office-
Kyle slumped over on the bench, his head in his hands. Megan stepped out through the door into the lobby to see if anyone else was around.

In the cafeteria-
"Well, I don't think it was humans who called the aliens here," said Stephanie, "though you never know with some people. There are always those who might betray humanity for the promise of technology or in exchange for being put in charge of the survivors. But we believe there are other creatures on Earth allied with the aliens that summoned them here." Dr. Hausmann gave her a warning look. "I really can't say any more than that."

Alvin looked around, but there was no more food out in the cafeteria besides the soup that everyone was eating. The cook had just returned to the kitchen, so more would be forthcoming eventually.
OOC,Everyone in the cafeteria may roll Psychology. The base skill is 5%.
In the kitchen-
"We've got plenty of food," said Amelia to Sharon. "Normally we'd have hundreds of students, so what we've got will stretch longer. Unfortunately a lot of it is perishable, but I'm trying to cook as much of it as I can tonight before it has a chance to go bad. We still have enough water and nonperishable food to last everyone a few days, maybe a week. That will give us time to find new sources of food. In the long term, that will be a problem. There aren't any farms in Omaha, but if we leave the city we'll be exposed to those dead things. Unless we brought the EMP device with us, but that would condemn everyone else in Omaha. Plus, how would we transport all of these people? Although there is that old broken down school bus. It's from around 1980, so it wouldn't have an electronic ignition. All we'd need to do is get it fixed up. And maybe the scientists could build a second, more portable EMP machine we could take with us. That way we could leave this one behind here."

Southeast of the school-
Tiny went with Emilio to the southeast part of the school grounds, near the hole in the fence. The street beyond was deserted and quiet too.

In the north stairwell, ground floor-
Jerry went up the stairs.

In the north hall, ground floor-
Rachel proceeded to the lobby.

In the lobby-
Rachel entered the lobby and saw Megan Petrovich, the social studies teacher, standing guard in front of the smashed-down door to the security office. "Oh, hi, Rachel," she said. "I was hoping to have a word with you."

In the north stairwell, upper floor-
The coach, LaTanya, and Kelly followed Donald into the hall. Jerry arrived from below.

In the north hall, upper floor-
The principal, Kate, Emily, and Miguel reached the balcony. Donald and the others entered the hallway from the stairwell.
OOC,[b]Donald[/b], roll Listen.
On the balcony-
"Here we are," said Prinicpal Adler. He walked over to a pair of lockers and pointed them out. "This one belongs to Lisa, and this is Doug's right next to it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Rashad couldn't read anything from the exchange. Other creatures, eh. He laughs. This sounds like a science fiction book or something, no offense. But than again, I guess nobody would ever think dead bodies would come back to life either.
Trott
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by Trott »

In the cafeteria-
"You mean to tell me that you think there were other aliens already here?" Diana smiled to herself. "I knew it."

In the kitchen-
Sharon nodded. "We should check out the supermarkets as well. A lot of what's there will probably have gone bad by now, but there could be enough to salvage. That bus you mentioned . . . who should I see about getting it fixed up?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Rachel Cohen-

"Megan, what is it you want to ask me?
"I'm on my way to the cafeteria. Come along with me, don't bother with guarding the security office."
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Post by ryansommer »

"So where are we headed, Donald?" said Ron as they walked down the hall.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Donald shrugged, "Not far, I reckon," as he stepped up to the lockers. "All right, this shouldn't take too long at all." First he checked them to see if they were left unlocked as he had noticed some students left their lockers that way to speed up the book exchange between classes. Finding them locked, he began to work at the lock on Lisa's locker using his hammer's effective claw.
Listen Check - Failed,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2595814/]Listen (29%) (1d100=96)[/url]
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

OOC: Sorry, I was trying to get a feel of what Ron was doing. He is not mentioned much in the previous posts.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc for Ron,Maybe this will help.
Donald says to the principal, "So, you're hoping to find some clue in here then? Something that will give a hint of where they have taken the poor girl? It would be nice if we had a bloodhound ... do some tracking."
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Imp,Awesome! Thanks.
"If we can't find a clue here, there may be something in his gym locker" Ron suggested. "Didn't I see someone with a dog outside?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Dr. Saunders surveyed the neighborhood in all directions.

In the science lab-
Declan continued to assemble a pipe bomb with expert skill.
OOC,It will take two more turns to finish, including this one.
In the security office-
Kyle waited nervously for Megan to return.

In the cafeteria-
"Not necessarily aliens," said Stephanie. "There could also be other forms of life already on Earth of which we were previously unaware."

"That's possible," said Liz. "There could be all sorts of unknown creatures in the depths of the sea or deep underground. They could have been here all along. We're constantly discovering new species."

"But a species as intelligent as us, perhaps moreso?" said Tariq. "Rashad is right, it does sound like science fiction...but considering everything else that has happened today, I cannot rule it out."

In the kitchen-
"Good thinking about the supermarkets," said Amelia. "They do have a lot of nonperishable food that could last for weeks, maybe months. That is if someone else doesn't get there first and pick the place clean. Becky Clarke is the one to see about fixing up that bus. She's out in the cafeteria, eating. Donald and Declan should be able to help too. There's also the guy who worked at the auto body shop, Emilio. We wouldn't have gotten the generator up and running again in time to save the school without him."

Southeast of the school-
Emilio and Tiny continued to wait for the others.

In the lobby-
"I really can't leave it unguarded," said Megan, walking a short distance with Rachel but constantly looking back at the lobby. "I'll need someone to relieve me eventually, preferably someone armed."

In the east hall, ground floor-
Megan Petrovich and Rachel Cohen,"It's about [b]Tariq[/b] and those other two guys with him," whispered [b]Megan[/b] to [b]Rachel[/b]. "I heard them talking to each other in Arabic. I couldn't quite understand what they were saying, but I think it was suspicious. You should keep an eye on them."
In the north stairwell, upper floor-
Jerry reached the landing and walked through the door, into the hall.

Jerry emerged from the stairwell in time to see Donald. Ron, LaTanya, and Kelly reach the balcony.

On the balcony-
"That would be my dog, Tiny," said Emily. "He'll track those murderers down, don't you worry. We just need something with a scent."

Donald approached Lisa's locker with his claw hammer.
OOC,[b]Donald[/b], roll STR x 5 to pry open the lock. [b]Ron[/b] has been following along with the others for some time. You may need to go back some pages to see where they're discussing their plans. He hopes to be able to talk some sense into [b]Darnell[/b] and [b]Roy[/b] - if he can find them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Good, we'll need to track them down" Ron said. "I want to come with your guys, too. I think I can talk some sense into these boys. I've been their coach and veritable fatehr figure for the last 4 years. I can talk to them. I can get them to come to thier senses"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Strength x5 = success,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2607886/](str x5 =) 65% or less to claw open the locker. (1d100=28)[/url]
Donald makes excellent use of his hammer's claw and leverage, making short work of the lock on the locker. After which, he moves to the boy's locker and prepares to do the same.
Trott
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by Trott »

In the kitchen-
Sharon nodded and smiled. "Thanks Amelia, I'll get onto that right away"

She left the kitchen and went out into the cafeteria in search of Becky

In the cafeteria-
Diana looked doubtful. "I find it a bit hard to believe. That there could be a species as intelligent as mankind living under the sea or underground, I mean. The pressure would be too great to support most kinds of life. Sentience can't have evolved naturally."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Rachel Cohen-
Megan,"Ok, thanks for the info., Megan."
She leaves Megan and continues walking to the cafeteria.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Dr. Saunders continued her lonely vigil, eating her gumbo.

In the science lab-
Declan kept working on the first bomb. He was almost done.
OOC,[b]Declan[/b] will finish the bomb after this turn.
In the security office-
Kyle sat dejectedly in his cell.

In the east hall, ground floor-
Megan hurried back to the lobby.

In the cafeteria-
Rachel walked in from the east hall at about the same time that Sharon returned from the kitchen. Sharon saw Becky sitting in the second row of tables, where she herself had been seated earlier, with the rest of the faculty and staff.

"Oh, I don't know," said Liz to Diana. "You could make the same argument about sentience on the surface. There are all sorts of strange creatures that live in the depths that are rarely seen near the surface."

"That's true," said Stephanie. "The kraken was considered a legend until scientists discovered the giant squid. Those things are enormous!"

"Yes, and lifeforms can adapt to live in high pressure environments. They may be so used to it that they won't usually come up too far. I can't rule out the possibility of another intelligent species on Earth, but I'm not sure how it would communicate a message into space."

Stephanie shrugged. "Advanced technology? Maybe some sort of innate telepathic ability?"

"However they did it, it makes a certain kind of sense. They could have been living deep beneath the surface for eons. Then one day they come up and discover the surface of their planet is crawling with what they consider vermin."

"Right! And what would you do if you returned home after a long absence to find your home infested? Call the exterminator! That's what I think they must have done."

In the kitchen-
Amelia continued preparing the main course.

Southeast of the school-
Tiny paced back and forth, looking at Emilio occasionally.

Jerry walked onto the balcony.

On the balcony-
"Thanks, Coach," said LaTanya. "If Darnell won't listen to you, maybe I can get him to listen to me. I am carrying his baby. That has to mean something to him."

"I might be able to get through to Keith too," said Miguel. "I'm his best buddy."

Donald easily pried open the lock to Lisa's locker. The lock wasn't even visibly damaged. Kate opened the door and took out Lisa's coat, which was hanging on a hook inside. "Got it, thanks!" she said.

"Let's go, we're wasting time," said Emily, taking the coat from her. "I'll get this to Tiny. Everyone who's coming with, follow me. We'll take the fire escape, it'll be faster." Emily went around the corner and down the southeast hall. Kate, Miguel, and LaTanya followed her.

"I don't know if I should go," said Kelly, hesitantly. "It's going to be dangerous. But good luck, all of you." The prinicpal also remained on the balcony.
OOC,[b]Donald[/b], roll STR x 5 again to pry open the lock on [b]Doug[/b]'s locker.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Rachel-

"Hi," she says to Sharon, "I'm looking for something to eat."
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Sounds good" says Ron as he follows Emily towards the fire escape.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Strength Check Failed,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2616574/]Strength x5 (65%) (1d100=97)[/url]
Donald tried his hand at removing the lock from Doug's locker, but it was tough going and not giving way... so he put all of his strength into it this time, to no avail.
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Rashad glanced nervously out the window. Well, if they did call the exterminators, so to say, then I'm not so sure they'll leave that easily.

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”