IC-GOLD-Triage(Everyone)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Re: IC-GOLD-Triage(Everyone)

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Handy,If people are going to leave, please have Colin leave with them. Since he is pretending to be out and cannot get out of his straps currently I cannot really call out that I want to leave
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Crow and Harper kept a close watch on the events below at the entrance. The two snipers were keeping an eye out in other directions to prevent the arrival of the wounded from distracting them from other potential threats.

Outside the clinic-
"It's just a scratch," insisted the driver. "I wasn't bitten; I was stung by this...this giant flying insect-thing."

"Good eye, Senior Airman," said Captain Kelleher. She turned to the driver. "I'm afraid he's right. If you've been stung, then an unknown substance may have been injected directly into your bloodstream. Not only that, but your suit has been compromised. You'll have to stay here. Can you walk?"

"I..I think so, ma'am. I'm just...I feel so sleepy..."

"Everyone, help me get these guys inside." Captain Kelleher, assisted by Airman Winters, helped one of the men out of the humvee. He was unable to move on his own, but he was still conscious, moaning in pain. His Racal suit had a few similar holes in it. Lt. Sara Evans and Technical Sergeant Jessica Valdez carried out the other man, who was unconscious but still breathing. His suit had several punctures like the others. The driver was able to stagger to the door and inside.

In the intake area-
"I want to leave," said Senior Airman Tom Wu.

"That's not even funny," said Lt. Ellison, frowning. She turned when she saw an unfamiiar woman in a Racal suit stumble inside. "Are you hurt?"

"I'll...be fine, ma'am," she said. "I just need to lie down." She hauled herself over to a gurney that the medical staff had set upright while they were waiting and climbed onto it.
OOC,Anyone in the intake area who wishes to examine her may roll Medicine.
At the padded cells-
"Airman Hodges?" asked Catherine, concerned. She looked through the glass window to make sure he hadn't died.
Colin Lewis,Try as he might, [b]Colin[/b] still couldn't loosen his straps. [spoiler]Don't worry, nobody is going to be going anywhere for a while. By then you'll probably manage to get loose. You may roll STR x 1 again.[/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Shit. Captain Johansen springs to his feet and rushes over to the new arrivals. He bends over the woman on the gurney, examining her wounds. Fucking hell what happened?
Last edited by kouchpotato on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Voodoo »

As he continues to watch the entrance Harper asks Crew, "Do we have any other scheduled arrivals or is this the last?"
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Colin grunted with effort and tried to break the straps again. Again it was no use. He closed his eyes in anger.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by ryansommer »

Seeing the wounded Keith gets a paniced look: "Sweetie, we need to get upstairs now. They are going to turn!"
Keith looks to the others in the room as me moved with Melinda and his mom to the stair well: "Be careful with them! They will turn as soon as they die. The insect bites are the worse. We saw it at the motel earlier today."

In the padded cell:
"Ma'am, you need to listen to the others out there. Anyone wounded is infected and will turn into a zombie when they die. This isn't a maybe, it's a given fact. Once they turn, you are all in a world of shit. Bullets need to be put in the heads on any one who dies out there. If you don't, you put everyones lives at risk."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
"This lot weren't exactly scheduled," said Crew, "but no, as far as I know they're the last, until our supplies get here."

Outside the clinic-
Captain Kelleher and Airman Winters assisted the wounded man in moving inside, followed by Lt. Evans and Sergeant Valdez carrying the unconscious one. Senior Airman Wright took up his position guarding the main entrance once more.

In the intake area-
"Bit busy here, Airman Hodges," said Captain Kelleher into her radio as she and the others entered and placed the wounded onto gurneys.

Captain Johansen examined the driver. She didn't appear too badly hurt physically, and her only wound was the small hole in the back of her Racal suit. It looked like a sting from an animal of some sort, perhaps a scorpion, but it was too big to be a normal insect sting. That wouldn't have caused more than a pinprick in the suit, if that. From her symptoms, it seemed she was suffering from poison, perhaps a venom of some sort.

While the medical staff was busy running around and trying to deal with the wounded, Keith led Melinda through the doors to the operating theater. Amanda, Lisa, Beth, and Robert followed them.

In the operating theater-
"This isn't going to end pretty," said Amanda. "The stairs are that way." She pointed at the door to the women's isolation ward.

At the padded cells-
Relieved that Frank Hodges was all right, Catherine Rourke returned to her guard duty.

"I don't think the captain will listen until the truth bites her in the face," said Gary Simpson, "but you're welcome to try."
Airman Frank Hodges,Roll Fast Talk to convince [b]Captain Kelleher[/b]. This roll is at -10 due to your overconfidence and the fact that she has EDU 18.
Colin Lewis,Try as he might, [b]Colin[/b] found that the straps were still unyielding. [spoiler][b]Colin[/b], you may roll STR x 1 again.[/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by kouchpotato »

Captain Johansen carefully pulls back the edge of the Racal Suit to get a better look at the wound. Ma'am, what exactly happened?
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

-We need to get in a place whe we can barricade ourselve and get some guns. They are not much, and they should be easy to kill after they all turn.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"I'm sure I can arrange that," Frank said with a smile. "Bring her back here. In about 15min I'll be trying to bite all of you in the face."

"Ignoring those with real world experience is going to get you or someone else killed, Captain" Frank said into the radio. "I have all the proof you need right here, if you'll just come back here." Frank could tell he was not going to convice the captain without taking drastic measures

In the womans ward-

"I think it'll be the soldiers that are will be easily killed, infortunatly." Keith said with worry. "They don't know to aim for the hear and will be sitting ducks down there, which is why we have to get somewhere safe."
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

"Sergeant Major, I've been thinking and I believe I have come up with a better solution to our perimeter problem. If we can get our hands on a bunch of flashbangs and some fishing wire I can set up a tripwire outer perimeter and use the claymores for closer to the building. This would let us close the holes from having so few claymores since the flashbangs are only limited by the length of the wire." Harper seems rather proud of himself for thinking up the new approach to the plan.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Colin grunted one more time and with great streangth he heard the straps rip and he was free! He silently got off of the guarney and tiptoed to the door looking through the glass quickly.
Barandis
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years

Post by Barandis »

Captain Kelleher ponders for a moment and continues helping the wounded man inside.
mrhandy,the idea roll was to see if she would think of immobilising the casualties on a body board as a precaution
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
"Brilliant!" said Crew. "I'm sure they can get us some flashbangs and tripwires along with the Claymores." He opened up a channel to Carmichael. "Sir, can you add in a bunch of flashbangs and tripwires to that order of Claymores?" he asked. "Airman Harper came up with the idea of rigging up an early warning system with them around the outer perimeter."

"That can be arranged, Sergeant Major," answered Carmichael. "We haven't really been using flashbangs much today, as the infected aren't hindered by them at all, but here we can put them to good use. I'm glad you asked for that demolitions expert. You should have them a little before 4:00. Anything else to report?"

"Three injured survivors were brought into the clinic just now, sir. Other than that, all's quiet."

"Good. Let's hope it stays that way."

In the intake area-
Captain Johansen examined the sting wound. It was discolored around the edges, turning the skin on her back black in a ring surrounding the small hole. It definitely looked like some kind of venom, but he couldn't say what kind. There were antivenoms that could be used to treat poisonings, but there was no guarantee any of them would work, and they were often dangerous enough to be deadly in their own right.

The driver sighed. "I'll tell you," she said, "but you probably won't believe me. My unit was sent to investigate one of those meteorites that had come down. It was inside the base perimeter, in an open area. It was just lying in a smoking crater. As we got nearer to it, there was this buzzing sound coming from within it. It didn't even look like a rock, more like...an egg, I guess. You could almost see through its...shell. And there was something inside. When we got real close, the buzzing got even louder, and then it just cracked open! This yellow, awful-smelling mist came out, and then...the creatures attacked! They looked like giant mosquitoes, but they had claws and there were so many of them!" She began to cry. "We lost almost an entire platoon. People went down, and when they got back up they...they were infected. Only Russell and I stayed on our feet. We carried Yoshimuro to the Hummer and bugged out. We were all stung, but only one of them got me...it's just a flesh wound, really..."

Lt. Sara Evans examined and treated the unconscious man, who the driver had identified as Yoshimuro. "He's still alive," she said, "but we're losing him fast, ma'am!" She worked feverishly to keep the man alive. "He's got some kind of virulent toxin in his bloodstream. The only thing I can think of to save him is a massive transfusion. We'll have to replace all of the blood in his body, which means ten units!"

"We don't have that much O-neg!" said Wu. "What's his blood type?"

Lt. Evans checked his dog tags. "Crap! He's A-negative! Have we got enough A-neg and O-neg combined?"

"Barely. But do we want to use it all on him? Then we won't have any left for others, and he'll probably die anyway."

"Ma'am?" Sara asked Captain Kelleher.
Captain Claire Kelleher,You don't need to roll Idea to come up with something you think of something yourself, but you're free to do so if you wish. Please roll Medicine to see what information you got from your examination. You'll also need to decide what to do about [b]Yoshimuro[/b]. In case you don't know, O-negative blood is the only type of blood that's a universal donor, so it's safe to give to anyone. Someone with A-negative blood type can only take A-negative or O-negative. There's a description of blood types and their compatibility for transfusions [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Group]here[/url].
In the operating theater-
Amanda and the other civilians went with Keith into the women's isolation ward.

In the women's isolation ward-
"They do know to shoot them in the head, at least," said Amanda. "It's only the new people who don't know that the dead are rising. The others already saw for themselves. They're not as weak as you think." Still, she didn't slow down her pace as she made for the stairs, pointing the way ahead. "This way."

At the padded cells-
There was no reply from Captain Kelleher on the radio yet. "She said she was busy," said Catherine Rourke to Frank. "We were ordered to stay here, so we can't leave our posts to go get her. We'll have to wait until she's free."

"Or eaten," said Simpson.
Colin Lewis,Looking through the eyeslit in the door, [b]Colin[/b] could see that [b]Rourke[/b] and [b]Simpson[/b] were devoting their full attention to [b]Frank Hodges[/b] in the cell across the hall and were not looking his way. [spoiler][b]Colin Lewis[/b], if you want to try to pick the lock, you'll have to roll Locksmith, but the base skill is only 1%. Alternatively, you may try to force the door open by rolling on the Resistance Table: your STR vs. the door's STR of 20. This gives you a 30% chance. However, this attempt will be heard by the guards in the hall. You can hear everything they're saying out there, and from the way they're talking, something could happen that would cause one or both of them to leave their post. Your chances may be better if you wait.[/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by kouchpotato »

Handy,Would a full transfusion actually work or are we just going to let it slide for the sake of the game? I seem to recall a similar plan in the 28 Days later special features to cure the infection, but the director/writer saying it wouldn't be possible to replace every single drop of blood.
Captain Johansen tried to get a better look, looking for a stinger. Inside the perimeter? How far? He frowns and radios Carmichael. Sir, be advised we maybe have highly venomous, um, bugs I suppose inside the perimeter of the base. They appear to have wiped out an entire platoon of soldiers.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Captain Nils Johansen,Whether or not it would work is unknown, though it seems unlikely to succeed. Not every drop of blood could be replaced, but if the poison could be diluted enough, that might potentially save someone's life. It would definitely not work to cleanse someone's body of a virus or bacterium, but venom could be a different matter. This is just the only idea [b]Lt. Evans[/b] could think of in the short amount of time available. I do intend to keep the game as realistic as possible. Granted, the walking dead and mosquitoes from space aren't exactly realistic, but aside from that. ;)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Barandis
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years

Post by Barandis »

"I have never seen anything like this before." Captain Kelleher exclaims in an exasperated tone.
" I want all the casualties strapped to back boards before we continue. According to all the accounts I have heard infection is characterised by apparent death followed by some form of violent psychosis. I don't need to be fending off violent lunatics while I'm trying to work. Immobilisation is the best option. As to the blood transfusion, it is a waste of our blood stocks. How well equipped is this place? If we can get him hooked up to a dialysis machine it may remove the toxin."
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

In the women's isolation ward-

Keith took up the rear and he and Melinda followed his mother to the stairs. "I don't think they are weak, by any means, I just don't think they are properly prepared for what's going to happen. Those zinbies are deadly at close quarters."

In his cell-

"Well, you two be prepared, will ya? If all hell breaks loose, keep your distance and aim for the head."
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

Harper goes back to watching the surrounding area while he waits for the explosives to be delivered.
grimgate
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Post by grimgate »

Lt. Gomez cringed at the words "virulent toxin" and asked Lt. Sara Evans "Anything I can do to help?"

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”