IC-OMAHA-Family(Tariq/Ali/Lori/Alvin/Murray/Erin/Rashad)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-OMAHA-Family(Tariq/Ali/Lori/Alvin/Murray/Erin/Rashad)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 5:07 PM Central Time - Tariq and Erin's House, Omaha, Nebraska
On the roof-
"We will come down," called Samir from the roof.

"Firearms?!" said Erin, taken aback. "Tariq, what are you talking about? You brought guns into our house?!" She climbed down the ladder.

Samir turned to Rashad and whispered in his ear.
Rashad Sadiq,"We need to talk later," [b]Samir[/b] hissed. "You, me, and [b]Tariq[/b]. No one else."
In front of Tariq's house-
When Erin reached the foot of the ladder, she ran over and gave Ali a huge hug. He pressed himself against his mother. "I was so worried about you, Mom," said Ali.

"Not as worried as I was," said Erin, tears in her eyes. She looked at Tariq over Ali's shoulder with a mix of emotions. "You have some 'splainin' to do."

Murray sat at Alvin's side, wagging his tail. Lori stood aside and watched the exchange, not wanting to get involved.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-Family(Tariq/Ali/Lori/Alvin/Murray/Erin/Rashad)

Post by kouchpotato »

Rashad nodded nonchalantly to Samir, disguising it as a stretch. He waves down to Tariq and Ali. It is good to see you are well. Tell me, did you see any crazy people on your way here? A while ago they just dropped dead suddenly, along with the power and my watch.
Last edited by kouchpotato on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

"Yes, I certainly do. But you're safe, and Ali's safe, and that's what matters to me."

He spends a moment of relief just looking at his wife and son together.

"The trouble isn't over. For our safety, I concealed some guns and ammunition in our house a long time ago. I didn't know this was going to happen, but I was always worried that something terrible might, so I wanted to have the tools for defense. I didn't tell you about them, because I knew they would just worry you, and I didn't think Ali was old enough for a while."
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Alvin kept his eyes to the road, not wanting to be snuck up on by Charlie.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

"Let's go inside," Tariq suggests. "I didn't see any more -uh- madmen on the way, just corpses, but I think I know why. Ali can explain about the EMP and the scientists at the high school while I get the weapons. Everyone at the high school also missed lunch, and I didn't see a lot of food on the roof, so perhaps we can try to eat what's in the fridge before it goes bad. Power might not come on again for a long time."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Actually, everyone at the school did have lunch.
On the roof-
"Let's go down," said Samir to Rashad. He climbed down the ladder and soon reached the ground.

"I can't believe you kept this from me!" said Erin to Tariq, her hands on her hips. She wasn't about to just let this drop. "How could you do this? How could you bring guns in our house and not even tell me?! My God, what if Ali had found them? What were you thinking?!"

"It's okay, Mom," said Ali. "I know how to use a gun safely. Dad taught me."

"WHAT?!"

"He took me to a pistol range a few times. It was fun!"

"I can't believe you did this! And what if you had found them years ago, when you were too young to know how to handle a gun?!" She rounded on Tariq. "How many guns have you hidden in the house? Are they even legal?! Don't you realize how much trouble you could have gotten into if they'd been found? You could have been deported, or worse! You know what some of my clients have been through because of the Patriot Act. I might have had to defend you in court, and as good as I am, I don't win every time."

Lori just stood with Alvin and Murray, watching the scene unfold. Alvin looked down the street, but the area was deserted.
OOC,[b]Tariq[/b], roll Persuade or Fast Talk if you want to mollify [b]Erin[/b]. The base skills are 15% and 5%, respectively. Nobody else can make this roll except [b]Ali[/b]. Fast Talk will only be temporary, but Persuade will convince her indefinitely if successful.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by kouchpotato »

Rashad grins to Samir. Maybe it would be safer up here, hell hath no fury and all that. Nevertheless he climbs down the ladder. So it was an EMP? That makes no sense. These are people, not machines. How come we weren't hurt by the EMP if that's what killed them?
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvin thought bout butting into the conversation but decided not to. He was no good with the girls after all.
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Spoiler:
OOC, Tariq gave Alvin pistol lessons! I didn't think that happened - perhaps Tariq should know about the portions of other character's secrets that pertain to things he has said and done to them. Looks like I'm in hot water, anyway. That was a Fast Talk roll, by the way.
"I have a license! They are all perfectly legal! And I hid them too well for Ali to find them - maybe even too well for the police, and wouldn't they need a warrant, anyway? I just wanted to know I could keep everyone safe, no matter what happened." Tariq protests, but his words fall on deaf ears.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Tariq al-Tikriti,You're right, I'm sorry I missed that one. There are many characters with various interconnected secrets, and that one slipped by me. [b]Ali[/b] does have some Handgun skill, though [b]Tariq[/b] doesn't know the exact score. He does know that his son has a good amount of talent for an amateur. He is a decent shot, and has the potential to one day be as good as his father. [b]Tariq[/b]'s in plenty of trouble with his wife simply for having the guns in the house and not telling her about them. Having taken their son to a firing range isn't going to make his situation any worse.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

"Even if the...current problem hadn't happened, Ali's school is still a dangerous place! There was a student planning a shooting today!Since I'm not going to be secretive about these things anymore, you can see the explosives he had beofre he met me."

Tariq sets the bag down and opens it slightly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Geez!" said Erin, gaping at the pipe bombs in the bag. "Are those even safe to carry around?!"

"Mom, I know you're upset," said Ali, "but we're going to need those guns to protect ourselves. It is good that dad has them, and that he taught me to use one safely."

"Well...I suppose you're right. What hurts me most is that he kept the truth from me. Come on, let's get inside." She took out her keys and unlocked the front door.

"Yes, I agree," said Samir. "What was that about scientists and an EMP? Is this a terrorist attack, and how did the EMP kill them? It should be harmless."

"They're already dead! I was helping the scientists, and they think that aliens are behind it all. They reanimated all the dead bodies, and they sent these mosquito-like things in meteors to kill lots of people so they'd rise up. They used electricity to make them get up and start eating people somehow, and Mr. Donnelly made an electromagnetic pulse device to disrupt the process and disable them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

"Let me the get the rest of the firearms, and I'll lay them out on the table. You can come with me to see how I hid them," Tariq says, and goes to get them.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvin said to Murry, "Come on boy." and entered the house.
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by kouchpotato »

Rashad stares incredulously at Tariq. Wait, wait, wait. Are you saying that some giant alien mosquitoes which came down in meteors and killed a bunch of people so the aliens could reanimate them with electricity? So, are they dead for good now or what? He casts a nervous look at the prone infected.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Murray and Lori followed Alvin inside.

"That's what the scientists said," said Ali. "They sent some sort of signal into space to trick the aliens into thinking their job was done and going away, and then they started the EMP device. Now the dead will stay down, at least within the affected area, but that's probably not more than a mile or two. They'll still be up and about everywhere else." He went inside after his father, and Erin was right behind him.

"Come, let's go inside," said Samir to Rashad before he too entered the house.

In the living room-
Tariq entered his living room, and the others started to come in after him. "Okay, let's go get the guns," said Erin.
OOC,[b]Tariq[/b], you may describe your living room and the layout of your house if you wish. Where are you going first?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Tariq walks from the living room into the white-painted kitchen. Then he opens the wooden door to the basement steps and walks down them.

"I kept almost everything down here in the old refrigerater," he says as he switches on the basement lights.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvin followed Tariq
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by kouchpotato »

Rashad cautiously follows Samir. If only the ones within a mile or two are, uh, dead, than does that mean the ones in the rest of the city are still functioning?
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

"I know even less than Ali. One of the scientists told me that they sent a signal to a satellite that would stop the dead from reanimating, but wouldn't do anything about the dead that were already walking. They said that electrical impulses were responsible for reanimating the corpses, and so an EMP should disable them. Then, when they set off a homemade EMP at the high school, all the dead fell down. If they really were living dead, which I only have people's words for. Although I know something big is happening."

Tariq continues into the basement. He removes a pair of screwdrivers from his workbench, using the Phillips to unscrew the back panel of the old, nonfunctional refrigerator he uses as a cabinet. Then he slips the flathead between the metal panels and pries the back loose, revealing a large secret compartment.

"Alright, anyone else feel safe carrying a gun? I have an Uzi and an AK-47 here."

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”