IC-OMAHA-Afterschool Special(Everyone else)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-OMAHA-Afterschool Special(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 5:05 PM Central Time - Brooks High School, Omaha, Nebraska
In the special projects lab-
Most of the faculty, staff, students, and visitors at Brooks High were assembled in the special projects lab. Now that the electromagnetic pulse device had been activated, knocking out the power and frying the equipment, there was nothing important about this lab. The communications equipment had already served its purpose, and the room had been chosen simply because the vast majority of the people were already there, and there was no sense in making everyone move.

Stephanie Bridges had yet again foregone a chance to rest and relax after Donald Woodridge, who was down in the auditorium barricading the smashed in fire exits, had come upstairs and asked what was going on. He had requested that the scientists make some acid grenades, and she had agreed, being the foremost chemist among them. Dr. Edward Singh was also an excellent one, but he had been busy helping Dr. Brigetta Hausmann with the autopsy. Of course, in his mind, she was the one helping him. Chester Johnson, the science teacher, had tried to help, but he just couldn't think straight today. The idea of turning lab chemicals into weapons was alien to him, but Stephanie had taken to it like a natural.

Adam Donnelly grinned when she arrived and told him about it. "Atta girl, Steph!" he said. "There's nothing you can't do if you put your mind to it. Maybe you could assemble a radio out of coconuts."

"Actually, a potato would make a decent battery..." started Stephanie, "but I'm not MacGyver. If anything, you remind me of him, Adam. I haven't seen that show in a while, but I've always loved it. I had a crush on MacGyver growing up - wait, that didn't come out sounding right." Her cheeks turned red.

"Sounded just fine from where I'm standing."

"Well, when you're ready to take a break from saving the world," Dr. Liz Somerville said to Stephanie, "you and I have an appointment with Teresa in wardrobe. Tonight's dinner is going to be special. Besides, if you're going to save the world, you might as well look good doing it."

"She looks great right now," said Trooper Erica Spears, "but the right fashions will bring out her beauty even more."

"Thanks," said Stephanie. "Maybe we can find something for you, too."

"I'm sure I can," said Teresa Vazquez. "There are all sorts of costumes backstage. Diana, do you want to come too after the assembly? I've got a dress with your name on it."

Miguel Garcia walked into the lab, the last of the students to arrive. Shortly afterwards, Principal Lawrence Adler and Officer Kate Wheeler arrived. "Good evening, everyone," said the principal. "I'll give all of you a minute or so to finish up your conversations before we get started."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-Afterschool Special(Everyone else)

Post by Tabs »

Rachel Cohen stands to one side in the lab, watching and listening to the others. She is the security expert who arrived at the school with the scientists. Rachel notes Trooper Erica Spears compliment to Stephanie - and muses on relationships...

Rachel nods to Kate Wheeler, "Officer," she says respectfully.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good to see you, Rachel," said Kate with a smile on her face. "I want to thank you again for what you did back there, coming with me and disarming Doug. That could have ended very messily if you hadn't been there. I'm going to be heading out to my precinct after this meeting to find other surviving police officers, and hopefully to bring some back. We have prisoners that need to be booked and locked up properly, and evidence that needs to be processed and examined. You're one of the people I'm counting on to hold down the fort while I'm gone."

Everybody else had stopped talking, so once Kate finished, Principal Adler began to address the crowd: "I know you're all hungry," he said. "Amelia tells me dinner will be ready at 5:30, and there will be enough for everyone. We have a lot of perishable food that won't last the night, and she can't eat it all herself, as much as she'd like to. I also know that a lot of you have families and loved ones out in the city, and you don't know if they're all right or not. You can leave the school to go seek them out if you like, but at this point I'd advise against it. If they are out there, they know you're here and may very well be on their way to come find you. If you were to leave, you could miss each other. You'll also be much safer spending the night here, with a large group of people, than being out on the streets by yourself at night. The dead seem to be staying dead, but some of the living may present a threat. We've survived this far by working together, and if we continue to do so, we'll not only survive but thrive. This is a different world than the one in which we woke up this morning, and we can make it a better place. I'm open to suggestions from all those assembled here that might help us, whether in the short term or the long term. If you have any ideas, my ears are open."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Darnell stood up and said, "Mr. Adler, Coach, Teachers, fellow students...I want to know why in the hell we are keeping people alive like Kyle who tried to kill us today. If this is a different world then the one we woke up to this morning then I say we should hold a summery trial and then a quick execution. There will be no jails anymore. Kyle will simply be allowed to escape justice. Well we can give him it here. Anyone in favor?"
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Rachel replies to Officer Wheeler, "I shall do my best, Kate. I know you'll come back to the school soon!"

Rachel listens to Principal Adler's sensible words and then Darnell's response. She says, "People, if I may speak out. Today our world has turned to shit! However, just because everything is different that does not mean we need to change the way society works. Darnell, who decides on those that live and those that are executed - YOU? We should continue as before."
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Danell said, "Hey Kyle tried to kill my girl and he just about killed our star quarterback as well as myself. My mother always says, 'An eye for an eye' so by that rational we should give him a taste of his own medicine. We should hit him with a bat, shoot him, and then put a pipe bomb up his ass like he tried to do to us. Your little sensiblity can't take it Miss High and Mighty? Then you can sit your ass down while justice is done. Or do you really think that Kyle would help if the zombies attacked us? Hell he did not help last time. This time he may shoot and kill you which at this point won't be much of a loss. I say if you want civilization we should vote. And I want to point out that at the end of the day Rachel there won't be here. She will go back to Atlanta leaving us high and dry among the zombie horde. So her opinion should not matter."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

LaTanya looked shocked. "Darnell, what the hell's gotten into you?" she asked. "This ain't like you. And Kyle wasn't going to kill me, anyway."

Kate frowned at Darnell. "This is not the Wild West, young man," she said. "I won't have people taking the law into their own hands. So far, nobody has died at this school today, and I intend to keep it that way. Omaha will survive, and it will remain civilized. Rachel has done an admirable job protecting all of us, and you should apologize to her immediately. We don't execute people who break the law. Kyle will be tried by a jury of his peers, and he still has the same rights he had yesterday."

"Well said," added the principal.

"Like, get a clue!" said Heather. "That psycho Kyle should totally fry!"

Kelly Cameron stood up and faced Darnell. "Kyle was trying to help us when he went to get those guns," she said. "It was your buddy Roy who threatened him with a baseball bat. You have no idea what he's really like, do you? Be careful when you cry out for revenge against anyone who's done something wrong - your friend could be the next one on the receiving end if you got your way!" She looked to be on the verge of tears.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Darnell looked at LaTanya and smiled then he said to the group, "We don't know why Kyle went for those guns. I do know this though. Unless Kyle knew about the zombies before this morning he had the guns in his locker which means he was planning to do something with them. Are you all mad? You going to forget that little point? And if Kate there does take Kyle to the police station they will just let him out anyway. There is no judge and no jury anymore. This is the world we live in now. Get used to it officer. I say Heather has it right. This is a new world. So do you want to vote or was Thomas Jefferson right when he said that the tree of liberty needs to be watered with blood every now and then. So vote then dam it but reemember he was going to kill you all."
Handy,Not sure if I did Fast Talk right but I got a 54 and only needed 55 or less. So did I manage it correctly?
Darnell looked around and saw many people nodding thier heads to what he was saying.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

Michiko was stunned: how could they speak in such a way to superiors? They should have listen and only give an advice if asked. A society such this couldn't survive long...
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Rachel is a stuck-up bitch - she knows who she is -, she is also a mean bitch. She checks out Darnell, to see the easiest way to take him down, if necessary.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You tell 'em, Darmell!" said Roy from where he was resting on the row of chairs. "That little brat should die!" He glared at Kelly. "And as for you, you better shut your mouth." The girl shrank away, frightened.

"Easy there, big fellow," said Ron Moore. "I agree with you, though. Nobody messes with my team!"

Principal Adler cleared his throat. "There isn't going to be any vote, and there isn't going to be any lynching, not in my school! We will not descend into mob rule. The laws of this land still stand, and Officer Wheeler and Trooper Spears represent that law and are here to enforce it. We will not have revenge. That sort of thing never stops. Too many people have died already today. None of them died here, and it's going to stay that way. There will be justice, rest assured, but everything will be done properly." His elooquence firmly calmed the assembled crowd.

"Sorry, boss," said the coach, lowering his head. "I just got carried away."

"I understand how you feel, but we can't let emotion defeat reason. Civilization may stand or fall because of what the people of Omaha do today. Now, are there any legitimate suggestions about what we should do?"
OOC,The Fast Talk roll was a success, but a narrow one, so it wouldn't convince that many people. Anyhow, the principal's Persuade overrides Fast Talk, and it's a special success to boot.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

"Roy lets get the fuck out of here. Fuck you all. You can take all the rest to the po po but Kyle threatned my child by threating to harm LaTanya and that will not stand. I will see justice done and done properly. The youth are in control now. Anyone who wants to come may do so." Darnell stormed out of the special projects lab and toward the staircase to go downstairs.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Phew! That was a little bit tense," says Rachel ironically.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Darnell, what the hell's gotten into you?" said LaTanya. "This isn't like you! Don't you walk out that door!"

"Like, I'm outta here too," said Heather.

"Yeah, screw all you guys," grumbled Roy. He pulled himself painfully to his feet. Heather put an arm around him and helped him towards the door.

"People, please!" said Principal Adler. "What you're after isn't justice, it's just revenge. That would make us no better than the criminals we have locked up. And if you take revenge, someone else will want revenge on you for it. It's a cycle that never ends, unless we break it here and now."

"Come on, Heather, let's make like a tree and get out of here." Roy and Heather followed Darnell.

In the north stairwell, upper floor-
Darnell, Roy, and Heather entered the stairwell from the hallway as Donald Woodridge and Declan McLeod reached the upstairs landing, carrying a wheelbarrow between them which they set down on the floor.

"We don't have to listen to those losers," said Heather. "We can totally do whatever we want."

"Yeah!" grunted Roy.

"You know who we should get to join us? Keith Stewart. Last I heard he, like, went to the kitchen."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Donald paused a moment as his eyes moved from one person talking to the next wondering what had set these people off. "Leaving here is a mistake," he said plainly. "The infected ... they can't come here. You leave and you're fair game. Best thing to do is wait it out. Plenty of food and drink here to sustain us for a while. And there's strength in numbers."

He cleared his throat and set his end of the wheelbarrel with a few makeshift spears with knives duct-taped on broom handles down. "Of course, if you're determined, and intend on taking Keith, ask him to return my chainsaw please. I'll let him take one of my spears if he wants, but the chainsaw is school property."

Turning back to Declan, Donald shrugged, "Aliens ... or high-tech terrorists... or maybe a government project gone awry. I think it's all just guesswork right now. No one can be certain without seeing someone who's behind it all, right?"
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

darnell said, "We ain't going anywhere except to the security office to get justice on that little bastard Kyle who thinks that he can get away with bringing guns to school, hurting my girl and my baby, and all that will happen is a slap on the wrist. Fuck him. We going to go give an eye for an eye while those wimpy liberals back there debate on what to do. You care to join us?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Kate, Trooper Spears, Principle Adler, that young hoodlum Darnell will do harm to Kyle. I'm unsure if I care, but once the teenagers do as they please the community of the school will finish."
Mr. Handy,Re. Rachel's secrets, would stealing the laptop be any use?
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Donald shrugged, "Seems to me we have bigger things to worry about than proper punishment for someone who wasn't using his head. Besides that, he's another abled body, and we need all the abled bodies we can muster. This is war, son." He looked Darnell in the eyes as he spoke and added, "If we make it through this thing alive, then I'll be all too happy to help you make sure Kyle has his just desserts."

Donald then turned toward the scientists and asked, "Did you have any luck with those grenades... I mean, the acid vials I was asking about?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Rachel Cohen,Both of the laptops now have the data on them, as does the thumb drive, which would be much easier to steal or copy. The thumb drive was wrapped up in foil along with the laptop carried by [b]Dr. Singh[/b]. [b]Stephanie[/b] has the other one. The problem with stealing the laptops would be accessing the data without ruining the computers and the contents of their hard drives due to the repeated electromagnetic pulses being emitted by the device on the roof. From what the scientists told her, the foil protects the computers from the pulses, but only as long as they stay completely wrapped. [b]Stephanie[/b] called it a Faraday cage. If she wanted to remove the foil, she would have to do so beyond the EMP's area of effect, and she had no immediate way of knowing how far it extended.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, we'd better go stop them before they do something foolish," said Kate. "Erica, you coming?"

"Sure," said Erica. "Continue with the assembly. We'll be back once this is settled."

"Rachel, can I count on you too?" Kate was already out the door, and Erica followed her to the stairs.

"Yeah, I prepared two acid flasks," Stephanie told Donald. "They're in the regular science lab. Be careful with them, the acid is very strong."

In the north stairwell, upper floor-
Heather and Roy followed Darnell downstairs, while Declan went with Donald into the special projects lab.

A moment later, Kate and Erica entered from the hall.

In the north stairwell, ground floor-
Darnell, Roy, and Heather reached the ground floor landing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”