IC-OMAHA-Afterschool Special(Everyone else)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-Afterschool Special(Everyone else)

Post by Tabs »

"Of course, Kate." She jogs after them.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Darnell said, "Guys I am glad your with me. That means alot. Now lets get to the Security Office." He began to walk quickly in that direction.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

After a brisk thanks to Stephanie, Donald headed into the science lab and looked around for the two flasks of acid, offering one to Declan once he found them. "Never know when it might come in handy. But like the lady said, be careful with it. It'd be a shame to have it break in your pants pocket." He tucked one vial into his overall chest pocket.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the special projects lab-
"We'll discuss law enforcement matters after they return," said Lawrence Adler as Rachel departed. "Now I'll turn the floor over to the scientists so they can explain what's going on and what we can do now."

"Danke, Herr Adler," said Dr. Brigetta Hausmann. "For the past several years, meteor showers have been depositing a substance all over the Earth. It is partially organic in nature, und we are very lucky to have detected it. I have been researching this compound for years, und for the past year I have been assisted by Stephanie Bridges here. We have learned that the compound has gotten into the water table und made its way up the food chain. It can now be found within every living thing on earth, but it is harmless by itself. It requires a trigger to activate it, but even so it does nothing to the living. The dead, however, are reanimated by the trigger activating the compound. Stephanie has deduced that the trigger is some sort of electrical signal. When the compound is activated, it causes the dead to rise, and then they seek out and attempt to consume the living. They only attack humans, and they ignore animals - and pretty much everything else. The compound exhibits some properties of a virus, and it causes the host bodies to generate a poison in their bodily fluids. When someone is bitten, this poison enters the bloodstream of the victim and almost invariably results in death and reanimation within hours. We have encountered one person who was immune. We can speculate as to why she survived her bite, but we cannot say for certain."

In the north hall, upper floor-
Declan followed Donald around the corner to the left as Rachel headed into the stairwell.

In the northeast hall, upper floor-
"I'll be careful with it," said Declan as they walked. "I learned my lesson long ago." He held up his three-fingered hand.

The door to the science lab was just ahead. Through it, the two men could see two flasks filled with a clear liquid and tightly stoppered on one of the lab tables.
OOC,[b]Donald[/b], you can't move quite that fast. This turn you may go into the lab and take a flask.
In the north stairwell, upper floor-
Rachel followed Kate and Erica into the stairway.

"Thanks for coming again, Rachel," said Kate with a smile. "I know we're in good hands with you watching our backs." She and Erica descended the stairs.

In the north stairwell, ground floor-
"Hey, we're a team, dude," Roy said to Darnell. "I throw 'em, you catch 'em. And Heather cheers us on while lookin' good in a miniskirt."

"Like, I can do more than that," said Heather. "If I had a pistol, I could totally show you guys a thing or two." She and Roy followed Darnell out into the hall.

Kate, Erica, and Rachel reached the bottom landing shortly thereafter.

In the north hall, ground floor-
Darnell, Roy, and Heather made their way onwards. The lobby was visible ahead.
OOC,[b]Darnell[/b], roll Listen if you enter the lobby. The base skill is 25%.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Darnell was too busy secretly looking at Heather's ass to pay attention to anything in the lobby. He did not hear anything.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,Meh... just trying to speed things up so I can get past all the boring logistics.
Donald entered the science lab and approached the vials of poison taking particular note of how it looked and its general texture (color, odor, whether runny or goey - more like water or syrup). He pulled out a handkerchief from his back pocket and wrapped it around the vial, then tucked the vial into his chest pocket of his overalls, and handed the second vial to DeClan.

"Now where?" he asked. "Maybe we should head down to make sure those kids don't do anything really stupid."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"No problem, Kate. This is gonna be ugly. Maybe we should lock up Darnell, he appears to be the ringleader."
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

tabs,Just so you know Darnell is not going down without a fight
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr ZK,Grrrr! - luv Rach.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Why do you think she survived?" asked Diana.

"Well, she is an undercover narcotics agent," said Dr. Hausmann. "She had to take a variety of mind-altering drugs to maintain her cover. There was another woman who was on Valium who is the only one we know of who survived the mosquito-like creatures sting, so they tore her apart instead. It is possible that certain types of drugs may confer immunity, but we do not know. The mosquito poison may not even be related to the poison in the bites of the dead."

"So we should all get stoned?" asked Lisa.

"Nein! First of all, we are safe from the dead in Omaha now, and the mosquito-things died out within hours of exposure to Earth's atmosphere. Plus, as I said, we do not know for sure what types of drugs if any would confer immunity, and they have serious side effects. You should not put dangerous substances in your body, ja?"
OOC,[b]Michiko[/b], roll Psychology.
In the science lab-
Declan followed Donald into the lab. He took the second flask, wrapped it up as well, and wedged it carefully inside his toolbox. "Thanks," he said. "Yeah, let's stop those youngsters from doing something foolish. We'll probably have to use the north stairs. Jumping off the balcony may be the fastest way down to the security office, but I wouldn't try it while carrying these puppies. We blocked off the other stairs. The fire escapes would still get us down to the ground, so we could do that and then use your keys to open a fire exit on the ground floor."
OOC,[b]Donald[/b], you may move as far as the northeast hall this round.
In the north stairwell, ground floor-
"He hasn't actually done anything yet," said Kate, leading the way through the door and into the hallway. "If he does, though, then I'll arrest him. We're running out of space to lock people up, though."

Heather and Roy went with Darnell into the lobby. Kate and Erica led the way into the hall from the stairs and saw the teenagers in the distance ahead of them.

In the lobby-
Darnell, Roy, and Heather entered the lobby, which was still a mess from the earlier battle. The door to the security office was wide open. There were raised voices coming from inside, but Darnell couldn't tell who was speaking or what they were saying. Heather was oblivious as always, but Roy heard them just fine. "That's Doug Marley and Chuck Lubachek in there getting in each other's faces," he said. "Jerry Law's in there too, trying to calm 'em down, but he's not having mcuh luck. Kyle must be in there, but he's not talking. We need to huddle and come up with a plan quick. The fuzz ain't far behind us."

"Like, you're the quarterback," said Heather. She thought for a second, then leaned in close and whispered to Darnell and Roy.
Darnell Jones and Roy McCrumb,"I don't think they hear us coming inside," whispered [b]Heather[/b]. "Let's go in real quick. I'll lock the door to keep the bitches out while you guys handle the rough stuff. Maybe [b]Doug[/b] will help us get revenge if we help him get revenge on [b]Chuck[/b] too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Darnell said, "Good plan lets move people!" He quickly ran for the door of the security office.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"That's a good idea," Donald said with an approving nod to Declan. He started making his way, but made sure to take one of the spears from the wheel barrel and leaving the rest there and off to the side. "Let's get to moving," Donald said as he dug out the keys from his pocket and started moving with a sense of purpose.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image "I say lock up Darnell. He'll harm himself or others if he is not stopped. However,Kate, you are authority; I'll back up whatever decision you take."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Michiko Watanabe,You never rolled Psychology as I asked, so I rolled for you. I had to use real dice since Invisible Castle is down, and I got a 06, which succeeds. [b]Michiko[/b] noticed that [b]Miguel Garcia[/b] tensed up briefly when [b]Dr. Hausmann[/b] spoke the words "undercover narcotics agent."
"Even if we could find a means of protection against the poison," Dr. Hausmann continued, "it would be years before we could develop an effective vaccine, especially with the world in its current state. And then there is the matter of disseminating it. The best protection is not to be bitten in the first place. At least anyone who is bitten should merely die from now on instead of rising up."

"Is that only within the range of the EMP device?" asked Diana.

"Nein, throughout the whole world. I'll let Stephanie explain that part. She is the physics expert, and it is a field I know little about. And after all, it was she who pulled this off."

"You laid all the groundwork, Brigetta," said Stephanie. "All I did was finish what you started."

"You did a lot more than that, Stephanie."

In the northeast hall, upper floor-
Declan grabbed a hammer from the wheelbarrow before following Donald down the hall. The intersection loomed ahead of them.
OOC,You can reach the north hall this round. In the following round you'll be able to reach either the north stairwell or the balcony.
Rachel entered the hall from the stairs, following Erica and Kate as they hurried to the lobby.

In the lobby-
Roy and Heather followed Darnell into the security office just seconds before Erica and Kate made it to the lobby. The security office door slammed shut.
OOC,[b]Darnell[/b], [b]Heather[/b], and [b]Roy[/b] are moving to the thread linked below. Please stop reading the current thread at this point, and do not read the posts above the one in the link. Everyone else remains in the current thread.
Jailbirds
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

-Sorry for the interruption sir, but if there is a chance of valium giving some imunity, isn't worth to take the risk to avoid being transformed in one of the restless?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image She whistles in frustration, "I bet they've barricaded the door."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Donald heads for the north stairwell. "No sense trying any heroics and breaking a leg or something," he said to Declan.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Handy,let me know when or if I need to jump threads... m'kay?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We're safe from that here anyway," said Stephanie. "As long as you stay within a mile or two of the school, you don't have anything to fear from being bitten by the dead. We also don't know if taking Valium even works, or if it does what kind of dosage is needed to provide protection or even if it only protects some of the time. Besides, we don't have any Valium - unless any of you have some, that is. Whatever amount there is will be in limited supply, and nobody is going to be manufacturing any more for a long, long time. We might be able to manufacture it if we had the right facilities, but not in large enough quantities for everyone who's still alive. If we could get some samples, maybe we could run some tests in the lab and find out if it might have any effect. Developing a vaccine is a lengthy and complicated process even under the best of circumstances."

In the north hall, upper floor-
Donald and Declan raced through the halls as fast as they dared while carrying flasks of acid. They ran past the door to the special projects lab and into the stairwell.

In the north stairwell, upper floor-
Donald and Declan rushed in from the hall.
OOC,[b]Donald[/b], you can reach the ground floor landing this round. Of course I'll let you know when to move to a new thread, but you're not close to doing so yet.
Rachel followed the other women into the lobby.

In the lobby-
Erica was the first to reach the door. She tried the knob, but it remained locked. "Dammit, they've locked us out!" she said. She took a step back and slammed into the door with her shoulder. It started to give somewhat, but remained mostly intact.
OOC,[b]Rachel[/b], you can go ahead and make an unarmed attack on the door. You go before [b]Kate[/b], so I'll roll for her in the next update if necessary. If you "miss," that just means you fail to do damage to the door; you're obviously not going to miss a large stationary target like that. Just choose the attack mode (punch or kick would be most effective). If you succeed, and your roll is also less than or equal to your Martial Arts skill, you double the dice for base damage (but not your damage bonus). Thus, if you got 66 or less with a Punch attack, you'd do 2d3+1d4 damage. If you got 67 exactly, you would do 1d3+1d4 damage, since the Punch succeeds but Martial Arts does not. If you got 68 or higher, you would do no damage to the door. A Kick would do 2d6+1d4 damage on any success, since your Martial Arts score is higher. You could instead shoot the door if you like (point blank range, but roll anyway in case of Malfunction). However, you risk hitting someone on the other side or the bullet ricocheting and hitting someone on your side.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Donald hit the stairwell and went down two steps at a time, but keeping his hand on the railing. Tripping to a face-first fall might be a particularly bad thing what with that vial of acid in the front chest pocket of his overalls.

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”