IC-OMAHA-The Mechanics(Donald Woodridge/Declan McLeod)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-OMAHA-The Mechanics(Donald Woodridge/Declan McLeod)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 5:05 PM Central Time - Brooks High School, Omaha, Nebraska
In the auditorium-
Donald Woodridge had asked the scientists upstairs to prepare some acid grenades before he had gone down. Stephanie Bridges and Chester Johnson had told him they'd work on it, but he wouldn't know if they had finished until he went and asked them. In the meantime, he had duct taped various sharp objects to broom handles to assemble some makeshift spears, and then he had started working on barricading the two smashed-open doorways in the auditorium. Declan McLeod, after changing his clothes, had joined him to help out. Together they had brought in large metal sheets from the workshop across the hall and secured them to the doorways, blocking them off. They had just finished.
OOC,[b]Donald[/b], roll Mechanical Repair to see how well you made the spears and how many you were able to make, as well as the quality of the barricades.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-The Mechanics(Donald Woodridge/Declan McLeod)

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,I threw three rolls, not sure if one would suffice. So here you have it: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2252301/]Mechanical Repair (65%) (1d100=26, 1d100=31, 1d100=69)[/url] - BTW, did Donald ever get some of that information that they spouted off upstairs prior to him entering about the zombies being controlled by alien technology? Sounds alot like the Dead Space plot, except I think they use alien microbes as the reason for reanimation.
Donald stood back and took a long look at the doors with the new barricade in place and sighed. "Do you think it's good enough to hold?" he asked Declan McLeod. "I sure hope so. I still don't have any real weapons against these ... things." Donald still didn't have a lot of one-on-one time with any of the zombies, so he wasn't sure what to make of them.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I was only looking for a single roll, but thanks for making the extra ones. A case could be made that barricading the doors requires a second roll, but it doesn't matter this time. The third, failed roll gets thrown out and ignored. The base skill for a spear is 15% when using it in melee, or your Throw skill when thrown. I've never played Dead Space, though it does sound good. This aspect of the plot was developed three years ago, well before Dead Space came out. In this case, [b]Stephanie[/b] also mentioned a biological compoment to the reanimation process. [b]Donald[/b] did get this information - she would have summarized it for him when he talked to her to ask her about making acid grenades. I think I mentioned at the end of Chapter 4 that everyone in the Omaha section (except the new characters) would know the gist of that information at this point.
In the auditorium-
Donald had managed to craft four improvised spears of good quality, which were stored in the wheelbarrow. Declan looked over their handiwork. His work hadn't been the best, but Donald had picked up the slack. "It'll do for now," he said. "It's not as tough as the original fire exits, and they didn't hold, but I don't think we'll have to worry about those things here any more now that the EMP device is operating. The real danger we face is from our fellow man. The dead are bad enough, but we had a shooting incident and a murder arrest on top of that. I don't know what's going on in the rest of the city, but there's a lot of desperate people out there. Amelia Delacroix can probably tell you about what it was like in New Orleans after Katrina, and they actually still had a functioning government. We might not have anything of the sort."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Those bozos in office weren't doing us any favors anyway," Donald responded. "Spending all of our tax dollars over seas and neglecting our own problems... no wonder we're in this state."

He went over to grab his wheelbarrel and said, "Our fellow man... most of them seem like they're just inches away from going stark-raving mad. Maybe we should try to improvise some sort of radio or something. Try to find out if there is a news broadcast, at least. Would that work with that EMP thing they got going up there?"
ooc,yeah the reason I wasn't sure was because they went through the whole explanation just moments before Donald entered... but he would have pried a bit more if he overheard some of the more obvious comments that would have come about after all that.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the auditorium-
"A radio?" said Declan. "Not one that has any electronic parts. Transistors and semiconductors are out. Vacuum tubes would still work, except those pulses going off would temporarily interfere with it every time. But the hardware would still be functional. A crystal radio's a possibility too. Or we could just make one out of coconuts like on Gilligan's Island." He chuckled. "Of course, nobody in Omaha is going to be broadcasting, but if there are signals coming in from outside, we might be able to receive them. Transmitting is another matter entirely. If we could find a transmitter beyond the edge of the pulse's area of effect...but then we'd need to worry about the dead out there in the burbs. Think we should head upstairs now to that assembly? The scientists might be interested to hear these ideas, and we could find out more."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Right you are," Donald said to Declan. "Lets see what the brains of this outfit has to say." He starts pushing his wheelbarrel back towards the stairs. "Say, you seen my chainsaw anywhere?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the auditorium-
"I'm not sure," said Declan, following Donald back to the hall. "I think Keith had it at one point." The two of them passed through the hall and into the stairwell.

In the north stairwell, ground floor-
Donald and Declan arrived at the landing at the base of the stairs leading up. Another flight went down, into the pitch black basement. "Here, I'll help you with that," said Declan, bending down to help him carry the wheelbarrow.
OOC,There's no need to roll here; the two of you are strong enough to carry it upstairs together.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"I remember when the hardest part about workin' here was scraping old gum off the bottom of the desks, or cleaning up some vomit in the science lab," Donald said as he started up the steps backwards holding one half of his wheel barrel. "What the hell happened? Are we being attacked by terrorists? I knew they had made some advancement in their terror techniques, but little nanobots seem a bit out of their reach, don't you think?" He sighed, realizing how tired he was getting.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the north stairwell, upper floor-
"The scientist said it was aliens," said Declan as he helped Donald carry the wheelbarrow upstairs.
OOC,Both of you are moving to the following thread. Please do not read the posts above the one in the link.
Afterschool Special
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”