IC-JUNO-A Dark and Stormy Night(Everyone)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Re: IC-JUNO-A Dark and Stormy Night(Everyone)

Post by ryansommer »

"Lauren, you're next. Get up that ladder" Emily said while she stood at the base of the ladder, holding it for her daughter to climb up.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Victor pulled his pistol and said, "Ho, what do you want to do? You want to climb out or defend from within?"
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Ack! :oops: Sorry, I messed up on the last update with the instructions for [b]Marcus[/b]. Before I wrote the post, I had indicated that the AR-15 did in fact jam in the Locations and Weapons thread, but by the time I finished rolling and writing that portion, I had forgotten that [b]Marcus[/b] had rolled a 100. I should have asked him to roll Rifle or Mechanical Repair to try to clear the jam, so that's what that 1d100 roll will count as. It will be Mechanical Repair (which is the higher of the two skills), so that skill receives a check. Normally it would take 1d6 rounds to clear, but with that critical success he does it in one round - this round. Next round he can shoot again. [b]Kathryn[/b] hasn't actually climbed the ladder yet, but I'll hold her roll in reserve for when she does. This round is spent moving to the storeroom. [b]Lauren[/b] is already in there, so she will climb this round unless [b]Cynthia[/b] pushes past her (which she won't while she's an NPC) - I'll roll for her when I update; I'm just waiting for [b]Ho[/b] to act. Also, anyone who successfully climbs up to the roof is going to have to roll Sanity (with a Sanity loss of 0/1d10) for seeing the zombies at that time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Ho pulls his own pistol out. We defend store front. They not going to steal my stuff!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the storeroom-
"I don't think they're here to steal, boss," called Helen. "They won't swipe your food - they'll be too busy eating us!"

Lauren started to scurry up the ladder while her mother held it, but her panic made her slip halfway up. She caught herself and kept trying. Then the sound of breaking glass and a sickening clawing sound came from the front of the store, and she shrieked.

Cynthia and Kathryn waited below for their turn to climb the ladder.
OOC,[b]Lauren[/b] is in the middle of climbing the ladder, so nobody else can get up it this turn.
In the short hall-
Victor and Ho stood in the hall discussing what to do when they heard the smash of glass and what must have been the zombies clawing at the barricade from the front of the store, though they couldn't see anything from back here.

On the roof-
Hector fired a blast from his shotgun at the ghouls 15 yards from the rear door, but the blast passed harmlessly over their heads. Duncan shot one of the creatures in the head, splattering its brains all over with just one shot as it fell. It writhed briefly before lying still.

Marcus managed to clear his jammed rifle with ease and was now ready to fire again. Joey snarled as he fired three more shots at one of the zombies closing in on the back, two of them striking true and deep. It took a bullet to its lower chest and another to its left thigh, but it hardly even slowed down. Kyle fired a shot, only to miss. The sound of crashing glass and pounding on metal came from the front of the store. "Hurry, Lauren!" he called when he heard her scream below. The ghouls continued to advance on the store, more of them reaching the front and some of them getting dangerously close to the back.
OOC,Okay, [b]Marcus[/b], this time you can fire. The range is still normal this round. Zombies: 9 in front of the store (not visible) 6 in front, 7 yards away 7 in front, 22 yards away 3 in back, 7 yards away (one has taken 15 damage) 3 in back, 15 yards away 3 in back, 22 yards away
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Victor said, "Ho we need to defend from up top. But let the women up first while we defend from the storeroom doorway. Then we get up there and take the ladder with us."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,I edited my last post accordingly.
Brains Go Flyin for real this time,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2281400/]Roll to hit - headshot (50%) (1d100=4)[/url] - [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2281404/]Damage for the impale (2d8+2d8=15)[/url] Somebody at Invisible Castle must like me this week.
Marcus takes aim at a fresh zombie, levelling the targetting to it's head, exhales, holds his breath, and squeezes the trigger once more. The bullet hits its mark and the big black man calls out, "Yeah, take that you ugly sucka."

He shouts down in the hole, "Ya'll need to get up here, cuz if those things get in the store, I'm yankin' the ladder up!"
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kat takes a step away from the ladder, by instinct. The shattering of glass followed by the assuring sound of Victor make her stay by the ladder waiting for Emily to head up next. She waits to pocket her 9mm till Em has reached the top after Lauren.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Victor yelled up at Marcus, "We are coming up but Ho and I are defending the area to allow the ladies up first. Do not yank the ladder until we get up or die whatever comes first."
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Emily made her way up the ladder. THe sound of the breaking glass terrified her, and she smissed a rung. Emily cursed and continued to climb. She hoped she slow accent would not result in harm to the others.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Only one person can climb the ladder at a time, and [b]Lauren[/b] is still in the middle of climbing due to her failed roll, so you can't climb yet. I'll hold that roll in reserve until it actually is your turn. I'm just waiting for a post for [b]Ho[/b] before I update.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

OOC: No need to hold that roll, Handy. My mistake. I can roll again when it is her turn. :) Kidding.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the storeroom-
Lauren began to hyperventilate as she hurried up the ladder, this time making it to the top. Emily was right behind her. She had nearly reached the top of the ladder when she slipped on the rain-slicked rungs and lost her grip, plummeting to the storeroom floor below!
OOC,[b]Emily[/b], roll Jump to land without getting hurt. The base skill is 25%. Your critical failure at climbing the ladder is your action for the round, and nobody else may attempt to climb the ladder this round. That will have to wait until after my next update.
In the short hall-
Victor and Ho stood watch outside the storeroom door in the middle of the narrow hall, their guns at the ready. They could hear the barricades at the front getting hammered, but the back door was still undisturbed.

On the roof-
Lauren pulled herself onto the roof and saw the dead closing in. She held her fears in check and unslung her rifle. "Mom!" she cried when she looked back and saw Emily fall.

Marcus destroyed the skull of one of the three zombies nearing the back door. Joey continued pumping lead into the one he had already injured, hitting it with three excellent shots before the Glock clicked on an empty chamber. Its leg was severed at the hip, but somehow it continued to crawl. Hector blasted the third one in the head with his shotgun, reducing its head to a fine powder. Duncan fired twice at the crawler's head, but both bullets missed. Kyle shot at the crawling zombie to finish it off, striking it in the skull and snuffing it out. "Yeah!" he called. "Hey, Lauren, look what I just did!"

The rest of the ghouls approached the store relentlessly, caring nothing for their own safety, only for the tasty treats they could sense within. Most of the ones in front had already disappeared from view, and the banging noises got louder.
OOC,[b]Marcus[/b], you may fire again at normal range. Zombies: 15 in front of the store (not visible) 6 in front, 15 yards away 3 in back, 7 yards away 3 in back, 15 yards away
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Despite her nasty slip, Emily was able to nimbly jump off the ladder and land safely on the floor of the storeroom.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

And a miss,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2286939/]Rifle for a headshot (50%) (1d100=98)[/url]
Marcus takes aim at another zombie, and grumbles when the chamber goes 'CLANK'. "Goddamned misfires." He sets the revolver down and rushes to the hole to help those below up as fast as he can. "Let me give you a hand," he calls down below.
Last edited by ImpInTraining on Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That's actually another jam, not just a miss.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Ooooh,I was thinking a jam on 99 and 100. Sorry. Edited my action below.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Hector fired a third blast from his shotgun, nailing one of the zombies at the back in the head and turning it into a fine powder. The headless corpse collapsed. Duncan fired two bullets at one of the others, missing with one but nailing it in the eye with the other. However, the wound failed to stop it. Lauren saw that her mother was all right and trained her .22 rifle on the wounded zombie's head. She squeezed the trigger, but her trembling arms caused the bullet to miss. Joey reloaded his Glock, and Kyle missed too.

Two zombies at the back reached the back door and began pounding on it. They ripped the back door off of its hinges and slightly dented the barricade behind it. Three more were several yards behind them. The six zombies heading for the front of the store were nearly there. Also from the front of the store there came a tremendous crash.
OOC,[b]Marcus[/b], it was your rifle that jammed. You do still have [b]Richard[/b]'s .357 Magnum revolver, but it only has one bullet left in it. You may take your shot now if you wish (which is at point blank range for the two zombies at the back door), or you may try to clear the jammed rifle by rolling Mechanical Repair again. It will take 1d6 rounds, including this one, on a normal success. If you want more bullets for the revolver, you might find them on [b]Richard[/b]'s body, but that's in the middle of the roof. It would take you the entire round to get there and search his pockets, and by then none of the zombies will be visible and you'd need to spend another round going to either the front or the back to take a shot. Zombies: 15 in front of the store (not visible) 6 in front, 7 yards away 2 in back, at the door (one has 6 damage to the head) 3 in back, 7 yards away
In the storeroom-
Emily made a perfect landing on her feet at the base of the ladder and was unharmed, even managing not to slip in the rapidly spreading puddle of rainwater. Cynthia whimpered when the sounds of the pounding on the back door and the crash from the front of the store echoed ominously through the building.
OOC,[b]Emily[/b], you may try to climb the ladder again with another DEX x 5 roll. If you succeed, roll Sanity when you get to the top and see the zombies. You may instead let someone ahead of you if you wish.
In the short hall-
Victor and Ho remained in the hall just outside the storeroom door. They heard the noise from the front of the store and could barely see the rows of shelving that made up a quarter of the barricade toppling inwards all the way to the west, but they didn't see any zombies yet. At the same time, they heard pounding on the back door. The already damaged door was ripped from its hinges and tossed aside, and the barricade there shook a little.
OOC,Some of you haven't posted since the last update, and I was waiting to give you time to post, but I can't wait forever. Remember, if you're not doing anything, you're still supposed to post describing your inaction so that I know you're not doing anything (of course, doing nothing may not be such a good course of action). Otherwise, the other players end up waiting for no reason. I know you've been active posting for your other characters in this game during this time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by kouchpotato »

OOC,Sorry, was debating what to do :|
Ho decides discretion is the better part of valor and runs to the ladder. Victor, you come up, we lure them under ladder than shoot them.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Ho[/b] can get to the bottom of the ladder this round, but he cannot also climb up. The same goes for [b]Victor[/b]. [b]Emily[/b], [b]Kathryn[/b], [b]Cynthia[/b], and [b]Helen[/b] are in a position to climb. [b]Kathryn[/b] has already said she'd let [b]Emily[/b] go first, and [b]Cynthia[/b] and [b]Helen[/b] won't try to cut in front of her at this point as NPCs. If their players return or circumstances arise that cause them to panic, that may change in a later round.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”