IC-JUNO-A Dark and Stormy Night(Everyone)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-JUNO-A Dark and Stormy Night(Everyone)

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
"Me neither," said Kyle to Marcus. "It's dark, and this helmet keeps getting in my way."

Cynthia looked around, but it was too dark for her to see much. "Not much out there," said Helen.

"Ladies first," said Joey to them, motioning to the ladder. He couldn't see anything either. Alfredo peered out into the distance, but he couldn't see a thing out there. Duncan kept sewing up his wound and was now about halfway done, and he was too busy to keep watch. Harvey had other things on his mind, and Hector was still too shaken to pay much attention.

In the storeroom-
Ho Nguyen reached the bottom of the ladder, where the puddle of rainwater pouring through the hole was spreading across the storeroom. If this kept up, there was no telling how much water damage his store would suffer. Victor Gonzalez stood at the door to the hall. From where he was, he could see that the back door needed more reinforcing. The door itself was badly damaged from the earlier attack, and while a crude barricade was in place, it needed more shoring up to have any chance of holding for more than a minute or so in the event that more zombies got close enough. The filing cabinet from the office was wedged up against it, and a couple of huge bags of dog food were supporting it, but it clearly would not suffice.

In the short hall-
From where Emily stood outside the bathroom, she could see the sorry state of the rear door and its barricade as well. She heard Lauren giggle from the bathroom. "I'm not two years old, Mom," she said. "I can go potty all by myself."

In the store-
Kathryn crossed the main area of the store, which was clear. The west wall was made entirely of plate glass, which would break easily, but it was shored up by a double row of shelving that they had pushed against it with painstaking effort. It looked very strong, and there wasn't much that could be done to make it stronger. The back door and the office window were the store's real weaknesses.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Victor said, "Ho with your permission sir, I think that before anyone grabs shuteye or a bite to eat we need to barricade the office window and reenforce the back door. Any ideas anyone?"
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Marcus paced the rooftop vigilantly, saying to the others still on the rooftop "So when do the people go crazy? Is it when they're bit? Or they diggin' themselves out of the grave?" Personally, he hadn't witnessed the change - and all he had to draw upon were late-night reruns of Night of the Living Dead.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Edited:
Spoiler:
"To my knowledge, death is the trigger. Anyone who dies - becomes an infected. I´ve not seen anyone become infected by contact or bite. So I´m no authority to how it works." Kat pauses, "I´d be sure to keep 'em on distance, anyway."
Last edited by Dave Syrinx on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Marcus nods with a grunt as he looked out into the darkness... feeling the cool rain splash down on his head. He was grateful that the garbage bag was keeping most of the water off, but could still feel water permeating his clothes around the neck line and his sleeves. He shivered slightly and then tried to take his mind off the miserable rain. "Its like some kind of voodoo curse or somethin'."
Last edited by ImpInTraining on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by ryansommer »

"We should shore up this back door for sure." Emily says. She looks around to see what is available to reinforce the door.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Kathryn[/b] is in the main area of the store and is no longer up on the roof with [b]Marcus[/b], so they can't talk to each other directly. [b]Emily[/b] and [b]Kyle[/b] are the ones with the radios, and anyone in the storeroom can just shout up through the hole.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Handy:
Spoiler:
Edited Kat´s reply away as a spoiler.
To the ones coming down the ladder, Kat says as she watches the front room from behind the shelves. "I´m covering the front, here. Can you guys secure the back door and window?" Shaking her shoulder she grimaces. "Emily, could you please have a look at my shoulder? It´s still bugging me.... Still can´t move quite good." Kat hopes she raises her voice enough to bear through the bathroom door.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Ho Nguyen nods to Victor. That good idea.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
"What's this about people digging themselves out of their graves?" asked Joey.

"The dead really are gettin' back up and eatin' people!" said Kyle. "It's like in those movies Ma didn't want me to watch. She did get bit, but she was still herself. She was sick for a couple hours before she turned into one of them. Then she started eatin' Pa, and he turned into one too! So did the guy with one leg, but nobody bit him. Pa shot him with a shotgun because he shot Ma."

"You first, kid," said Helen to Cynthia. The younger woman nodded and climbed down the ladder.

In the storeroom-
Cynthia reached the bottom of the ladder, where she met Ho Nguyen. "Helen's coming down next," she told him.
OOC,[b]Lauren[/b] is in the bathroom, not [b]Emily[/b]. [b]Emily[/b] has no problem hearing [b]Kathryn[/b]. [b]Emily[/b], if you want to treat [b]Kathryn[/b]'s arm further, roll Medicine. If you succeed, roll 1d3 to see how many additional HP she recovers. If you're doing this, both of you will be unable to assist in barricading for the duration. It will keep both of you busy for a while if you succeed, but if you fail you only lose the current round. The office window is blocked by an upturned desk and a bag of dog food. The damaged back door is barricaded by a filing cabinet and two bags of dog food. Neither would hold out for long. There is nothing else in the office that can be used for barricading, but there are some large boxes in the storeroom and more huge bags of dog food in the main area of the store. Anyone wishing to move bags of dog food can move one automatically, but roll STR x 5 to see if you can carry multiple bags at once. If you want to move a box, roll STR x 5. More than one person can combine their STR scores if they work together. [b]Cynthia[/b] is currently available to help. She, [b]Ho[/b], and [b]Victor[/b] may start trying to move boxes immediately, but if you want to go get some bags of dog food, you'll need to spend this round going to the main area of the store, and moving there will be your action for this round. [b]Emily[/b] can reach either the dog food or the boxes this round if she chooses. [b]Kathryn[/b] can only reach the dog food this round; it would take her a round to move to the storeroom.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Victor said, "Cynthia and Ho, do you want to help grab some boxes to shore up the office window barricade?"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"That really happened to you Kyle?" Marcus said turning his attention to the boy. "God help us all. I'm really sorry for your loss, and more sorry that you had to see them come back like that." Marcus turned his thoughts toward his own mother again, wondering how she was handling all of this ... or if she became one of them. "No one should have to see the ones they love come back like that."
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Sure Kat, just give me a moment" Emily said. She looked around the area she was in for something to barricade the back door with. "Lauren, could you work with the others to get this door secure? It worries me that it is so badly damaged."

Emily moved to the front of the store to look at Kat's shoulder.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Emily[/b], you can go ahead and roll Medicine now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

OOC: Medicine of first aid?

Emily took a look at Kat's shoulder : "Shoot, I think this one is over my head."
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"No worries, Em." "Let´s get the sacks to the back and help with the barricading." She gets up and moves to the storeroom.
TVblog

kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Sound good. Ho says to Victor and goes over to help.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Victor goes over to help as well
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
"Thanks, Marcus," said Kyle, sniffling. "I don't know what I'd do without Emily. Lauren lost her dad too. He saved Kathryn from a bad guy, but then he died protecting her from one of them. It was the guy with one leg, I think, only he didn't have no legs no more, on account of Pa's shotgun. At least she didn't have to see it, 'cause it happened inside the RV, and he didn't get back up. I think Kathryn shot him in the head so he'd stay down."

"You can't be serious," said Hector. "These guys can't be dead, it's impossible! Dead bodies don't get back up!"

"What about Bruno?" asked Alfredo. "Nobody shot him in the head, and he didn't get back up. He's still lying down there where he got killed."

Helen climbed down the ladder into the store.

In the store-
Emily was unable to do much more for Kathryn's arm.

"Just a minute, Mom!" called Lauren from the bathroom. There was the sound of flushing, following by running water. A moment later, Lauren emerged from the bathroom and crossed over into the storeroom.
OOC,Yes, you do need to roll Medicine, not First Aid. [b]Kathryn[/b] already successfully applied First Aid to her wound back in Chapter 3. You'll be able to try again after a while - or you could always ask [b]Duncan[/b]. :twisted: [b]Emily[/b] and [b]Kathryn[/b], you can each carry one sack for free. To see if you can carry more, roll STR x 5. The storeroom doesn't need barricading. You can add the sacks either to the back door or to the office window (by using them to support the upturned desk).
In the storeroom-
Victor and Ho were able to carry a box between them out through the door and across the hall to the office. Lauren passed them on her way in. Cynthia tried to lift a box by herself, and easily managed it. She followed the men to the office.

Helen came down from the ladder. "Hi," said Lauren.

"Hi, yourself," said Helen, dryly.

In the office-
Victor, Ho, and Cynthia placed their boxes in the gap that would normally have been legroom. There was no longer any more space for boxes, though it would still be possible to prop the desk further with more big bags of dog food.
OOC,I didn't get any STR x 5 rolls, but [b]Victor[/b] and [b]Ho[/b] have a combined STR of 21, which is enough to not need a roll if they worked together, so I assumed they did. You'll need to spend this round going either to the storeroom to get more boxes (which can only be used on the back door) or to the front of the store to get bags of dog food if you want to keep barricading. This movement will take the whole round.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Victor said, "That should do it for the boxes. We need some dog food here." He headed to the front of the store.

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”