IC-JUNO-A Dark and Stormy Night(Everyone)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Re: IC-JUNO-A Dark and Stormy Night(Everyone)

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"Get ready guys!", Kat says to the others. "Will this thing take us to the gates, Alfredo?" "Just back up so I´ll get a clear shot through the window, honey.." McCoy is unaffected by the new dead-heads and starts to lean over Alfredo to get in a good position to cap one of the zombies assailing Victor.

OOC:
Spoiler:
Guess it´s out of the question to storm out of the vehicle... And with one flat, the Escalade will probably be manoeuvrable to adjust the shooting angle. Wouldn´t want to shoot through the wind shield...
I´m holding the shot for next update. I´m still assuming Kat is keeping her 9mm ready as comfort, in the male infested car :)
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Post by ryansommer »

Trapped in an upside down truck and facing down a hoard of zombies while so close to safety was too much for Emily to handle see momentarily felt a sends of doom well up inside of her, but it was minimal and she was able to push it aside in order to protect her kids.
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Ho screamed, his sanity eroding. Up ahead! More zombies! He points to Randall road. Three of them!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Ho[/b], you needed to roll 1d10, not 1d2. Any roll of more than 2 would have counted as 2, so there was only a 10% chance of losing 1, not a 50% chance. Since you rolled a 2 anyway, it doesn't matter in this case. [b]Victor[/b], you still haven't rolled even after over 72 hours, though I've seen you log in and post in your game several times over the last few days, including twice on Friday night. I'm going to roll for you now, which usually ends badly. :twisted:
On the road-
Emily managed to hang onto the seat while undoing her belt and lowered herself carefully to the inside of the cab's roof, which was now the ground. She opened her door and crawled out, noticing and grabbing her fallen helmet in the process. Meanwhile, Kyle was able to dangle from the steering column and unbelt himself. He helped Lauren down and then opened his own door on the driver's side, He scrambled outside, took Lauren's hand, and carefully extracted her from the wrecked truck.

Victor lost it when he saw his doom approaching. It wasn't the men in the Escalade he had needed to fear the most, it was these things. Overwhelmed, he barely understood that his death was his own doing. Had he not insisted on riding in the back of the pickup, he would not have been thrown. He began to laugh hysterically, causing pain to his already fractured ribs. Fortunately, he was not in pain for long - he blacked out almost instantly.

"You got it, sweetheart!" said Alfredo. He steered the Escalade around the downed zombie and managed to maneuver the vehicle slowly over to the right of the overturned pickup truck. He stopped at an angle so that the headlights illuminated the oncoming ghouls and so that Kathryn could get a shot out of the window. "Don't worry, I'll get us to the gates. Whether or not they'll open them for us is another matter..." He pressed the switch to lower the power window, then leaned back and let Kathryn stretch across him. Beside her, Cynthia sat motionless. There wasn't much she could do from her position anyway.

Joey leaned over to the side door and slid it open. "Lauren, get in!" he called. "We've got room for one more! You can sit with me and Harv."

The zombie that the SUV had knocked down got up and made its way over towards the truck, while the other two were already on top of Victor. One of them bit him in the leg, nearly gnawing it through. Victor Gonzalez was no more, and the secret of where the money was hidden died with him.

The other three zombies were now close enough to the truck for everyone to see them, and they would be able to attack very soon.
OOC,Everyone must roll Sanity for seeing [b]Victor[/b] get eaten. Sanity loss is 0/1d6. If you do not go temporarily insane, you may act. [b]Kathryn[/b], you may now fire twice at one zombie's head if you wish. The range is normal, so you only have the -5 penalty for aiming at the head. [b]Emily[/b], you're also in a position to shoot if you wish, or you may do something else. Anyone who stays near the truck may be attacked by zombies, and if you shoot you will not be able to move away in time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kat flinches as Victor is being buried by teeth and gore. Then the Zombie which just got rammed by the Escalade starts to walk towards the feast, or to attack another target. The two on top of Victor will have to wait, for now. Close by, she sees yet three more Zombies approaching. Nudging to a good position, Kat shoots the close by Zombie in the back of the head, spraying disgust towards the toppled truck. Her second goes high as the target is gone.

"We need to get them all in here!" "Em and Kyle get over here!"

OOC:
Spoiler:
My double luck check was a mistake. I meant to roll once. Anyway, the second can maybe count as actually hitting the Zombie in the back from missing the head shot? It was a botched roll so I guess it goes wide and doesn´t hit anyone else.
From what direction are the three other Zombies coming from?
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,There was actually no need to roll Luck. The only friendly anywhere near the zombie was [b]Victor[/b], who's already dead. However, you did need to roll Sanity, so I'll count that first Luck roll as your Sanity roll, which succeeds, and I'll ignore the second. You hit the zombie in the head with the first shot for 6 damage and missed with the second. The zombies aren't coming any more, they're here! ;) They came from the northwest, down Randall Road. The base is in the opposite direction on Randall Road, to the southeast. There are only nine seats in the Escalade, and eight of them are occupied right now. [b]Emily[/b] would be hard pressed to squeeze inside along with [b]Lauren[/b], and [b]Kyle[/b] is way too big to have a chance of fitting.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"OK, the two munching on Victor are not a problem, right now. He might have a lead on where he hid the money in his pockets... Is it worth the effort to clean this place of Zombies and search his pockets after putting two in his head? Joey? Can some of you guys help Mrs Monrose and Kyle sweep the road from dead-heads?" She looks at Alfredo and adds, "Let the girl get in and we could drive to the base and leave some of our guys at the gates and return here and pick up the others. That´s the best chance to see the money." Kathryn takes aim at the Zombie for another hit to bring it down as the side door is slid open for Lauren to enter. She makes an offer to Hector and Harvey in the back, "Are any of you gentlemen going to help us get these people safely to the base?" She adds, "... Hector, you may sit beside me on the way back - should you step up and be a man - now when the situation calls for it."

OOC:
Spoiler:
So, the road heading South-East is free of Zombies? Can we see the gates to WAFB? All dead-heads are by the truck... Three new arrivals, one shot-up but still walking and two eating Gonzales. Is Lauren going to be able to get to the Escalade? The only obstacle is the Zombie, Kat tapped?
Last edited by Dave Syrinx on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,There are no zombies between you and the base. The gates are not visible in the darkness, but you may be able to see them once you start heading that way and shine the headlights on them. The zombies are all slow moving, so [b]Lauren[/b] can get into the Escalade and it can drive away (slowly, thanks to the flat) before the zombies get to attack. However, if you stick around to try to cram someone else inside or play Chinese fire drill, that won't be the case. Anyone getting out of the Escalade this round will be vulnerable to attack.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

OOC: we can't dog pile into the car? A VW Beetle holds 4, maybe 5 but I've crammed 6 in the back seat of one in Mexico where the taxi drivers don't care about seat belt laws. Have Kyle sit in the available seat and the girls sit in laps.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Bet you weren't being chased by zombies at the time. ;) You can try this, but there is time pressure. The first person can get into the Escalade with no problem. Each additional person will have to roll SIZ x 6 and [i]fail[/i] in order to squeeze in this round. Otherwise you'll be stuck outside the vehicle this round, and the zombies may get to attack. The vehicle will also not be able to move this round in that event. It's also possible to flee on foot faster than the zombies. With a flat tire, the Escalade probably won't go any faster than someone on foot anyway.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

OOC:
Spoiler:
Hmm, Hector isn´t giving his seat up to Emily? At least Kat tried to convince him :( . Lauren should be a safe bet to get a seat. Kyle is quite a large fellow so he wouldn´t really be seated easily in a fully crowded car. So, the lure of possible money was a no go. We´re facing three dead-heads! Let´s go with the Chinese fire-drill and make Swiss cheese of the Zombies! There are more than ten of us and three fresh Zombies. (deliberately not counting the two on top of Victor or the injured one...)

"Fuck this! Fredo, exit this heap! Let´s make a mark, here! Cynthia, get that shotgun ready - let me out of here. I´m not leaving my family behind."Trapped between the other occupants, I can´t do much more than attempt to prepare to leave the vehicle."Guys, get busy! Put those dead-heads to rest, allready!"

OOC:
Spoiler:
Ve´d really only need two persons in the car to guide the way with the head lights - one driving and one keeping look out for approaching Zombies.
Last edited by Dave Syrinx on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Please remember that this is all happening in a single combat round. Your action was shooting at one of the zombies, and that's done. I'll post the other characters' reactions when I update, but they're not about to step out there, as doing so will likely get them attacked immediately before they can fight back. Also, anyone attempting to get out would get in the way of anyone trying to get in, unless they're in the front seats (which have their own doors). The NPCs are unlikely to get out even with Fast Talk (which you can't use now, as you're busy shooting).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Seeing the situation unravel as she shoots the Zombie her thoughts race through her head. Kat realizes that no one will be exiting the car and that they´ll have to hope to get to the base on foot while keeping close to the Escalade.
TVblog

ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"There is no time!" Emily said. "RUN!" Grabbing Kyle and Lauren by the hands, he run as fast as she could towards the gates. As she ran she put on the helmet and keyed the mic on the radio: "Carmichael. This is Emily. We crashed a vehicle and are under attack outside of the gates. Can you lend assistance?"
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Ho flips out when he sees Victor die. Drive! Get us out here!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
Emily managed to remain calm in spite of the horror of Victor's sudden and gruesome demise. Lauren also managed to keep her head about her and ran southeast along the road, clutching her mother's hand. Kyle hadn't liked Victor all that much - he was mean - but he was badly affected for reasons he couldn't explain. He retained just enough of his faculties to take Emily's other hand and run for it.

Ho was deep enough in shock that he couldn't fully process what had happened. Cynthia screamed in fright, sickened from seeing Victor getting chewed to death. She hugged Kathryn tight as Alfredo turned the Escalade to the southeast and drove as fast as the flat tire would allow, which wasn't very fast. Joey pulled the side door closed again when it was evident that Lauren wasn't getting in. Most of the men in the SUV hadn't really cared for Victor beyond the possibility of getting his money, but Hector had been his friend in prison. He hardened himself after seeing Victor's death, comforted by the fact that he himself had survived. He had thrown in his lot with Joey Milano, and at least he was not alone.

The Escalade followed the running family down the road to the southeast. In the rear-view mirror, anyone who could bear to look would see the pack of zombies descend on Victor's body and begin devouring his flesh.

"Carmichael here," replied the colonel on both Emily's and Kathryn's helmets. "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid we can't open the gate if you're being pursued by the infected. We can't risk them breaching the base."
OOC,And...cliffhanger! :twisted: Congratulations to everyone for surviving Chapter 5 - or at least to everyone who survived. When Chapter 6 begins, we'll pick up exactly where we left off. I'll post instructions for how to make skill experience rolls in the OOC thread when I have time. [b]Ho[/b], I rolled Idea for you, and your failed roll means you're not temporarily insane. You've still lost enough Sanity over a brief amount of time to go indefinitely insane, though. I'll give you the details of your insanity later, before Chapter 6 begins.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,The story continues in the Gold section of Chapter 6, found on the link below.
Home Stretch
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”