OOC-Chapter 5-Dead of Night-General Discussion

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: OOC-Chapter 5-Dead of Night-General Discussion

Post by Mr. Handy »

I don't have time to update Omaha tonight, but I intend to do so tomorrow night.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Voodoo
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Voodoo »

Sorry for my lazy posting lately. My wife is in nesting mode, since she's due in a few months, and it has taken up most of my free time.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's okay, and welcome back.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm still waiting on a couple of players to make some rolls in Gold. I intend to update Thursday night my time, so please post or I'll roll for you.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Ok So lets assume that a zombie like plague did occur and a vast majority of humans were infected and then killed by the remaining population. Well what would be done with all those bodies laying in the streets? They all could not be burned or buried as there would not be enough people left. So the survivors would have to move the corpses away from the living areas, maybe to the countryside right? But there would no longer be a economy and any technology like electrcity, fossil fuels, and transportaion would also fail which would lead to more deaths and then the countryside would not work as food would still need to be grown to help the rest of humanity survive right? Then with the people who are left still fearing another outbreak of zombies the hospitals would fail since they would be filled up and turn away victims as the doctors and nurses, and staff would be infected and the research into seeking a cure would also end as the researchers themselves would be infected or die or be unable to communicate due to the failing state of communication. Also I do not see people even gathering in large groups because of the risk of exposure. Instead people would form family clans to hoard and survive I think.

So what do you all think?
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

I think there would be basically two minds of the survivors. One group would do as you say ... seek isolation and rough it. The other group would seek more survivors in order to rebuild society. Those who gather together will be able to fashion something that resembled the way life used to be and even get to resume some of the benefits of modern society such as fossil fuels, electricity, etc. They would not be able to rely on farmers to provide produce anymore, and canned goods would steadily decrease until the survivors set up scrounging teams to search nearby cities for grocery stores.

I think what they will do with the bodies depends greatly on how many survivors there are. It wouldn't take many people to go around like garbage men and clean up the city, throw all the corpses in garbage and dump trucks, haul them to some large incinerator, and burn them up truckload by truckload. Of course, that also largely depends on a steady supply of fuel. So if there's no fuel, then we're talking mass grave sites - probably will use some of them quarries and just fill in the huge holes that are already dug.

I think the biggest threat in the aftermath is what becomes of the unmanned nuclear power plants? They'll malfunction eventually and fill the atmosphere with radiation - radioactive clouds will bring down radioactive rain and cause many more deaths, mutations, cancers... and probably lead to geographical disasters which will finish off most of the rest of the survivors.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That sounds like some of the scenarios descibed in "Life After People" (which I've never actually seen), only there's still some people left in this case. I also think that while some people will head off in small groups and try to survive on their own, others will try to rebuild civilization. It might take a century or two, but you might be surprised how quickly the survivors could get the population and tech levels back up. Suppose there are only 500 million survivors left, reduced to pre-Industrial Revolution technology. That's pretty much the situation that existed 200 or so years ago, and look what we've built in that time. Plus, we've already invented the technologies that have come about since then, so there'd be a lot less work required than there was the first time around. There will be plenty of old books around that could be useful for redeveloping them. The hard part would indeed be cleaning up the mess left behind by the pre-zombie world. Civilization could be rebuilt, but we'd probably just go and repeat the same mistakes we've always made.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

I´m going the survivalist way - with an undefined number of people. The main thing is to have a clear line of seclusion. You have to be sure you´ll not get infiltrated by someone carrying the virus! That´s pretty much what Kat McCoy (JUNO) has had in mind for just about this whole trip.

Too bad she hadn´t seen Zombieland and taken note to the rules.'
Sometimes zombies are going to have you on the backfoot and when that happens you don’t want to be looking around for a way out.

Zombieland Rules #22 – When In Doubt, Know Your Way Out.
Regarding what is happening in that particular thread: It´s starts to look like a horror movie at this moment. I´m just waiting for someone to try to open a lock with a zillion keys :D .

I hope this post doesn´t give away too much of what´s going on in JUNO.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Don't worry, you're not giving away too much. Things are going to get very interesting in JUNO, and it should be a lot of fun. I'll probably have to leave for my vacation in the middle of all the excitement, so it should make for a nice cliffhanger too. I haven't seen Zombieland yet either, but rules like that are good things to keep in mind. I've heard the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks is also loaded with good advice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Handy smiles as people are going to die! Its going to get bloody and soon he will be able to open a new thread for Chapter 5 entitled Deaths in Chapter 5! He grins in excitement and licks his lips....am I right?
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

No, that's not true! The thread will be called "Death Toll," just as it has been in the earlier chapters. Other than that, then yes, you're right. :twisted:
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Voodoo
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Voodoo »

This can't be good for SWORD.
masonstone
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Post by masonstone »

ok I'm fully back now and I will post soon as, thank you Handy for your patience
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome, and welcome back!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

I saw Zombieland ... I think it's a 5 out of 5 movie. I'll definitely own it someday. My favorite rule: #4 - Double-tap. Don't just assume they're dead when they go down. Don't be stingy with the ammunition. One more bullet to the noggin will make sure they don't get back up.

They had 32 rules, but only mentioned about 12 of them in the film:

#1: Cardio
#2: Beware of Bathrooms
#3: Seatbelts
#4: Double Tap
#8: Get a Kick Ass Partner
#15: Know Your Way Out
#17: Don't Be a Hero
#18: Limber Up
#21: Avoid Strip Clubs
#23: God Bless Rednecks
#31: Check the backseat
#32: Enjoy the little things

You can learn more about these rules (and a few others the author added in not from the film) at http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_16631.html
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by kouchpotato »

I think invisible castle is down.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, it is. I had postponed my update to do other things I needed to do in the hopes that it would come back up soon, but it's still down. If it remains down, feel free to use physical dice or another online dice roller of your choice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

Just saw house of the dead 2 and was quite bad, but since it only cost 2 euros, I think I can't complain much...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I saw it too, but I didn't actually pay any additional money for it. It was on SciFi, back when the channel had a proper name. Still, that's 2 hours of my life and 1d4 Sanity points I'll never get back... :shock:
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm going to be going on vacation for two weeks starting tomorrow, though I may still be able to post some earlier on Tuesday before I leave. After that, I doubt I'll be able to post again until the 17th. Everyone whose games I'm in is also playing in one or both of my games, so you'll know that I'll be absent from your own games as well during that time. Please make sure you've posted in your threads by the time I get back if you haven't already so that I can update soon afterwards.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”