OOC-Chapter 5-Dead of Night-General Discussion

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

masonstone
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Re: OOC-Chapter 5-Dead of Night-General Discussion

Post by masonstone »

just read the above, and sounds good. I'd like in if you'll have me, you want us to take pre-rolls or do-it-ourselves?
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Imp and Masonstone,
Both are welcome. I have 4 players so far...and 3 characters that were pre rolled left. I think one of my friends who is off the board but will be playing through me has picked Captain Ashley Rogers so that leaves Lindsey Graham and Andrew Lee but I may be mistaken about which one my friend has choosen. Anyway you can go to the thread Wormhole Observers found here: http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=175 or also in the main forum under Other Eras and Settings. Please choose a character that you like or if you do not like them then please pm me and I can work with you. I can change background and personal interests if needed. Also please read rules of the game and rules of the Observer.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
masonstone
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by masonstone »

just to let you know, I'm not gonna be able to post friday or saturday because I'm in overnight so a doctor can check my recovery and sleep patterns or some rubbish like that, but I'll be back and postin sunday :D

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm going to update as many threads as I can tonight, but I won't have time for Omaha until at least Tuesday night, and maybe Wednesday night. In the meantime, Ron Moore may roll Listen as well. I hadn't known he'd become a PC when I wrote my last update for Omaha, The base skill is 25%.

Oh, and nobody has posted in Juno since I posted my update six days ago. Please do so if you have a character in that section.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

I'm going on holidays. I will return just day 2 of august.
masonstone
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by masonstone »

I'm going on holiday for 12 days as of tomorrow, however I am told that I will have limited internet connection, so hopefully I'll still be able to post, although it's not certain. I'll post again tomorrow if I can get online, if I can't then please keeper me :)

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Will do, and both of you have fun! I'll be going on vacation myself starting on July 29 and probably won't be able to post again until August 10. There's a chance I can get the chapter finished before I leave if people post often enough, but it may spill over into August.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I probably won't have time to post again before I leave, and I definitely won't have time to update Omaha, but I intend to update all sections on August 10 after I get back, so please make sure each of you posts for all of your characters between now and then. There's still a little bit of Chapter 5 left, but we're on the home stretch. A few things need to be wrapped up first before we can conclude, but I think we can get it done by the end of August if people post.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

I'm back!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome back!

I'm back now too. Even though I had Internet access while I was away, it was only for about half an hour at a time, which wasn't long enough to update. I'll be doing that one section at a time starting tonight, and I should have all sections updated by some time tomorrow.

Some people didn't post for all of their characters while I was away. Please remember that you must post for each of your characters after each of my updates.

EDIT: I've updated Gold, Sword, and Juno. I think I'll be able to update Omaha during the day on Wednesday.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Handy,
Sorry even with posting on my new game my new job keeps me so busy I cannot look here all the time. That is ok about Victor's death. I was going to have him not go into the base anyway so he most likly would have been eaten soon anyway. So I get to pick one or two more characters once the new chapter starts right?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, that's right, or you can create them. You can also do this between chapters, so you don't have to wait until Chapter 6 starts. You don't have to add new characters if you have your hands full with the ones you do have. I can't remember the last time you posted for Alvin.

If all goes according to plan, there should only be one or two more updates for each section before the end of the chapter. I should be able to update Omaha tonight.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

I figured that Alvin was still sitting at the table waiting for food. Since he is homeless he is used to being by himself so I figured I would play him as not talking much but if you want me to post up I can.

What i would like is to have a character in each of the areas. I have two right now in Omaha of course and it looks like to me that the place Victor was in will be coming a part of the airbase unless I am wrong so I would like a character, maybe an officer at the airbase and someone in the sword as well. i will wait until this chapter is done then we can talk. I am sorry that I have not posted as loyally as I used to. I will do better I promise. I just need to get a handle on my new life situation and everything
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's okay, real life comes first. Just let me know if you won't be able to post, please. You should post for each of your characters between major updates, even if you're doing nothing, so that I know you're ready for the next update and I don't end up waiting for you to post unnecessarily. You're not the only one who hasn't posted for all of your characters. If you're not doing anything, you can post describing your inaction. However, not doing anything is generally a bad idea most of the time. In those rare instances where your characters have spare time, they can always spend it talking to other characters and making plans. If you waste time that you could otherwise put to good use, you're liable to pay for it later. Think back to the first few chapters. Failure to plan caused a lot of grief there. If you just react to events as they happen, things will be much harder than if you take proactive steps to improve your situation.

Yes, Juno and Gold will most likely be merging in Chapter 6, and there will be some heavy fast-forwarding in Gold between chapters to catch up once certain things are resolved. As for Sword, there are not going to be any new playable characters added at this time, but there are some existing ones available. You could play Julie, who was added in Chapter 5. Raquel was added in Chapter 4, so she would need more catching up if you want to play her. You could also play Lara if you really want to, but she's got very low Sanity and it's only going to get lower, as she's going to be going through hell in Chapter 6. Sword may actually split into two sections; we'll have to see how things work out. You can get to work creating a character in Gold whenever you're ready, or you could pick one up from Gold or Juno who is still available. Kyle and Lauren are still available, but they've got a lot of catching up required, although you've covered much of that territory already as Julio Alvarez and Victor Gonzalez. Kyle is also low on Sanity at this point. There are plenty of other characters in Gold, including a couple who were added in Chapter 5.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Two sections are done for the chapter, and two more aren't far from finishing. All surviving characters in Sword and Juno now get skill experience checks. In the locations and weapons thread, I've kept a list of skills successfully used by each character. For each skill, roll 1d100 and try to get higher than your unmodified score in this skill (which may be the base skill if you don't have any points in it yet). If you're suffering from fatigue penalties or anything of the sort, these do not factor into your skill XP rolls. It's just a straight roll against your skill that you want to fail. If you succeed, the skill does not improve, but if you fail, roll 1d10. This is the number of points by which that skill increases. Thus, the higher a skill gets, the harder it is to increase further. However, low skills are difficult to increase because you have to get a successful roll against them during the chapter in order to have it checked for a possible increase.

For each of your skills that rises to a level of 90 or higher, you get an increase of 2d6 Sanity, though no PC in Sword or Juno has a checked skill of 80 or higher, so you will not achieve that level in this chapter. Sanity increases are few and far between in this game, and this is one of the few ways to get one.

Post your rolls in this thread when you've made them, and I'll update your character sheets. Characters of MIA players are not listed here. I'll roll their increases myself, along with other NPCs. If any players don't roll by the time Chapter 6 is getting ready to start, I'll roll for them at that time.

Ryansommer
Sally (6/11 HP, San 85, broken leg):
Listen (50)
Spot Hidden (40)
Handgun (52)
First Aid (65)
Psychoanalysis (35)
Medicine (57)

Emily Montrose (8/12 HP, San 55):
Jump (25)
Medicine (35)
Spot Hidden (25)

Tabs
Zoe Gallagher (12/12 HP, San 31):
Mechanical Repair (65)
Locksmith (51)
Spot Hidden (41)
Listen (40)
Fist/Punch (55)
Climb (50)
Knife (25)

Laraqua
Katarina Iliescu (9/9 HP, San 72):
Spot Hidden (40)
Fast Talk (66)
Throw (25)
Handgun (20)
Listen (65)

Cynthia Louise (12/12 HP, San 57):
Psychology (35)
Spot Hidden (35)

Misfit
Dan Aldrich (13/13 HP, San 37):
Spot Hidden (50)
Listen (40)
Rifle (55)
Handgun (45)
Track (60)
Climb (60)
Throw (25)
Jump (25)
Mechanical Repair (60)

Syrinx
Kathryn McCoy (10/11 HP, San 67, temporarily insane[insanity currently suppressed]):
Spot Hidden (31)
Climb (40)
Handgun (45)
Jump (35)
Persuade (50)

Kouchpotato
Ho Nguyen (13/13 HP, San 60, indefinitely insane):
Dodge (24)
Grapple (25)
Handgun (54)
Spot Hidden (50)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Laraqua »

I never thought I'd be so happy to roll so high!

Spot Hidden (40) (raised by 10) Fast Talk (66) (not raised) Throw (25) (raised by 4) Handgun (20) (raised by 7) Listen (65)

1d100 → [97] = (97)
1d100 → [19] = (19)
1d100 → [89] = (89)
1d100 → [91] = (91)
1d100 → [56] = (56)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2652497/

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2652493/

I think I'll let Cynthia go for now. There's a whole lot of back reading I'd need to do to catch up and I'm sure there's others who might like to pick her up.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Nicely rolled! 8-) Glad you've got some improved skill levels for shooting and throwing, and that Spot Hidden increase is excellent!

Anyone else playing Cynthia would have to do all of that back reading as well and more - two whole chapters' worth. You've got time if you want to, as there will be weeks before Chapter 6 starts. You've still got dibs on Cynthia until that time if you change your mind.

You can take your time on finishing Jackie Jones as well, but I do have something important for her to do at the outset of Chapter 6.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kathryn McCoy´s XP:

Spot H, Jump & Persuade increase!

by: 27% in total...

giving; Spot Hidden = (31+10) 41%, Jump = (35+8) 43%, Persuade (50+9) 59%

That´s all for now. Quite good outcome!
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Handy,
Sorry about not posting. I think I will look over who is free in Sword and pick one there. As for gold I was thinking about maybe making a new character...one who was a special forces officer posted at the base...can that work?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Excellent rolling! I'm glad to see Kathryn get such great increases. It's too bad you didn't also get Climb and Handgun boosted, but you can't have everything.

A special forces character can work for Gold. It would be unusual for one to be there, but not impossible.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”