IC-SWORD-Terror By Night(Sally/Zoe/Raquel/Katarina/rangers)

As day gives way to night, time may be running out for the human race. Warren Air Force Base is still in human hands, but there is a crisis within and what's left of the world risks plunging into nuclear chaos. A small group of captive women hopes desperately to escape from their cruel captors, while another woman is undercover amongst them. Two park rangers at a station near Chimney Rock prepare to weather the night. In a convenience store south of Ogallala, tensions are high as employees, survivors, and criminals try to survive the night. In Omaha, scientists may have won humanity a reprieve, but at a high cost. The zombie outbreak appears to have ended there, but there are still dangers. Will Omaha be a bastion for survivors, or will it descend into anarchy?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: IC-SWORD-Terror By Night(Sally/Katarina/Dan/Julie)

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
"This is Doc," said Doc into his radio. "is everything all right on your end?" He too looked into the distance, but it was too dark for him to make out much.

"I hope they okay," said Katarina. She looked out nervously into the night, unable to see a thing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
"Nobody's answering," said Doc, his brow creased with worry.

Katarina shivered. "I have bad feeling about this," she said, hugging herself.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by ryansommer »

"I don't like this either" Sally said. "Lets lay down and make ourselves as small of targets as we can."

Sally layed down and scanned the area, but was not able to see anything in the dark.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Doc might as well have been blind, and Katarina didn't see anything either. Both of them were just starting to get down when Sally's instincts proved correct. A short burst of automatic gunfire ripped apart the night - and Doc! None of them even saw the muzzle flash. The light from the ranger station meant that whoever was shooting had no trouble seeing them. One bullet ripped off his arm at the shoulder, and another buried itself deep in his thigh. He collapsed on the roof. "I..." he moaned as he bled out, "love...you...Sally..." That was all he could manage, and then he expired. Even without her medical training, Sally could see that there was nothing she could do.

Katarina gasped, but remained relatively calm, throwing herself flat.
OOC,[b]Sally[/b], roll Sanity for seeing [b]Doc[/b] killed. Remember that you get a +10 bonus to Sanity rolls. Sanity loss is 0/1d6. Also, roll Listen to see if you can determine from which direction the gunfire came. Assuming you don't go temporarily insane, you may act.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Doc" Sally wimpered. Looking to Katarina, Sally spoke quietly: "Shit! Keep your eyes peeled for muzzle flash." She reached out towards his body and touched the side of his cheek. While getting close to him was only a ruse to stay alive, she could not deny that she had grown close to him. It was aweful to see him torn apart like this, but she kept her wits about her.
She reached for radio he was using to communicate to the rangers. "Dan, Mutt is attacking us. Doc is dead and both Katarina and I are badly wounded. We need help." The part about being injured was not true but maybe Mutt would let his guard down upon hearing that. After communicating to the Rangers, Sally kept the mic keyed and brought the receiver towards the radios speaker to created loud, squelching feedback to reverberate through all radios listening on the channel in the hope of the noise giving away Mutts position. She was unable to hear the radio feedback but she was able to catch a glimpse of something in the dark.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Katarina began to cry. "They'll never get here in time," she said. "Oh, what are we going to do, Sally?"

The rangers did not reply, but someone else did. Sally recognized Nitro's voice: "Mutt, we escaped and we're on our way to join you. We've also got a present for you: Lara."

"Good job, guys," said Mutt. "Sally, listen up, you little bitch. Drop your weapons and come down from there with Katarina and I'll spare your life. I can kill you any time I want, but I'd rather not."

Try as she might, Sally couldn't see Mutt in the darkness, but she was sure he was out there. The gunfire had stopped for now, so there were no muzzle flashes to detect any more.

Katarina peered out and spotted him. "There he is!" she whispered, pointing to the south. "He's moving from the road around the station, keeping to the shadows."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Keep an eye on him, Katarina. Don't let him out of your sight." Sally said. "I won't let that bastard take me alive." Sally opened her satchel and withdrew one of the grenades she had in there. "How far away is he?" she asked Katarina.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
"Maybe ten meters," said Katarina, "but he's moving fast. Give it to me, I'll try."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Sally handed the grenade to Katarina, then reached into her satchel to grab another one.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Katarina glared at Mutt as she took the grenade. She had submitted without a struggle so many times, had done whatever disgusting things he and his ilk had demanded of her. Finally, now that she had a taste of freedom, her old fighting spirit returned with a literal vengeance. The same girl who had fought with all of what little strength she had trying in vain to protect her innocence was back. The difference was that she hadn't had any weapons then. Now she had a hand grenade...

Katarina yanked out the pin and hurled the grenade accurately with all of her unleashed rage. She saw Mutt try to run, but he wasn't fast enough. The blast blew one of his legs to bits, lifting him off the ground and dropping him into a bloody pile. "Got him!" she whooped. Though she had never killed before and the prospect disturbed her a little, she realized that she had done what she had to do. Mutt would have either killed them or far, far worse. But she also realized that they weren't safe yet. "Sally, we have to get out of here! If we're still here when Deadeye and Nitro show up..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Sally puts the grenade back in her satchel and pulls the satchel onto her back. "Grab Doc's gun belt, Katarina. You may need it." Sally reached down and took Doc's radio from his lifeless body. Tears welled in her eyes as she gazed upon what was once a kind, caring man.

"Do you see Nitro or Deadeye out there?" Sally said, scanning the darkness. "I can't see anything. "
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Katarina crawled over to Doc's body, took off his utility belt, and wrapped it around her own waist. "Poor Doc," she said softly. She gazed out into the woods. "I can't see them, it's too dark. I'm sure they can see us up here with the station lit up. We're sitting ducks, we have to get out of here!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Quickly, let's go." Sally said quietly as she grabbed the zipline and slid down to the forrest floor. She quickly moves off into the darkness of the woods.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Sally[/b], roll DEX x 5. If that fails, roll Jump, which has a base skill of 25%. Your action this turn will be sliding down the zipline, and you won't be able to get anywhere else until the following turn. You may want to wait for [b]Katarina[/b] anyway, since she can't slide down it on the same turn as you.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Sally slide down the zip line and deftly landed on the ground.

OOC: I rolled 2d100 to take care of the jump roll in the event I needed it. I didn't so you can ignore the seconds roll.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Thanks. This update encompasses two turns. Since you already stated your intention to start moving away into the woods, I'll have you start moving during the second of those turns. If you wanted to go in a different direction, let me know.
In the woods-
Sally slid down the line and landed smoothly in spite of her broken leg. The area of the woods at the bottom of the zipline was shrouded in shadows, and she felt confident that she wouldn't be seen here. If anyone had seen her go down the zipline, though, they might look for her here, so she needed to get moving. She hobbled along to the southeast, heading directly away from the farmhouse from which she knew the skinheads were coming, using her canes as crutches. She couldn't move as fast as she would have liked, but at least it would give Katarina a chance to catch up with her.

Katarina slid down the rope, but it burned her hands and she lost her grip. She yelped as she landed hard, in serious pain but thankfully still conscious.
OOC,[b]Sally[/b], please roll Spot Hidden at 1/5 skill and Listen at full skill.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

(OOC: this if fine. I just wanted to move away from the landing area a bit in the event she was seen sliding down. She does not want to keep on moving into the woods once she is about 15ft away from the landing area.)

Away from the landing zone, Sally drew her Colt .45 and focused her senses; looking and listengin for any threats. While she was not able to spot anything, her ears did catch the sound of something in the night.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the woods-
Sally heard crunching footsteps in the distance, somewhere to the west. They sounded like they were getting closer quickly, but they were still a ways off.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

In the woods-
Sally very quietly moves to the closest tree to the west and crouches behind the tree. Using the tree as cover, she scans the area to the west for the source of the footsteps
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the woods-
Sally crept behind a nearby tree, as far as she could get to the west without exposing herself to the light from the ranger station. Katarina hauled herself painfully to her feet and limped over to join her, hiding behind another tree. "I'm hurt bad," she whispered, clutching her side.

Sally couldn't see much in the darkness. She thought she could detect shadows moving to the southwest, but there was nothing solid she could make out. She did hear the footsteps moving quickly in that direction. "I know you're following us," came Nitro's voice from Sally's radio. "Now back off, or Lara's going to pay for it!"

The footsteps stopped around where the grenade had gone off earlier. "You're hurting me!" she heard Lara protest from that direction, between five and ten yards away.

"Good," said Deadeye from the same place.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 5 - Dead of Night”