IC Scene 7 - Pawtucket Sanitarium

An old house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: zielonobrody

ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: IC Scene 7 - Pawtucket Sanitarium

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan listened for the time being, not wanting to badger such a fragile mind with a bunch of questions at once.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Pearl tries for a professional look, but decides just to be herself ... if she can even remember what that was anymore.

"Hullo there Mrs Macario, My name is Pearl, Pearl Wealstone, May I call you Gabriela, that is such a beautiful name where is it from I wonder? ..."

Once the small talk is completed and both Gabriela and pearl are more comfortable with each other Pearl asks;

"I am looking into the terrible events that happened at your house on Narrow Lane. It looks to be a lovely house by the way, so at odds with was supposed to have happened ... I was wondering if perhaps your story can cast a different light on things?"

[Spoiler-Button]Fast-Talk I reckon 70%[/Spoiler-Button]

Pearl tries hard not to let her eyes be drawn to the poor woman's prematurely grey hair and to maintain their eye contact.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by zielonobrody »

Dan and Karl
The man appears to notice you for the first time, if only slightly, as he picks up his head and scans the room, his eyes stopping on each of you for a second and finally halting on some invisible object. He continues to rock back and forth. His mouth is moving, and there are some sounds escaping it, but you can't tell what he's saying from where you're standing. That is IF he's really saying anything.

Pearl
Mrs. Macario gratefully latches on to the small talk, she doesn't get many visitors so she's happy to hear what's going on in the world. She feels she is being treated well and the medication and treatment seems to be working.

Upon mention of the house she goes stiff and pales. She starts to shiver more and more with every sentence.
No, please. I'd rather not talk about that. It's what got me here in the first place. I don't... I don't want to go back to those dreadful nights and that horrid thing. She whimpers and turns away from you, shaking.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Karl," Dan says pulling the man back gently by the arm, then he whispers, "I'm going in to try to make out what he's saying. If he lunges at me, I'm counting on you to stop him. Maybe slide around behind him and be ready for the worst."

Dan moves in closer to the rocking man, saying "Mr. Macario... Vittorio, my name is Dan Marrison. I want to help you, but I can't hear what you're saying. Can you speak up a little?" He stepped closer, leaning in to try to make out what it was the crazy guy was muttering.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

Karl isn't sure what Dan expects of him -- he's no man of action certainly.

But as Dan gets closer to the man, Karl sidles a bit to the right and a bit closer. The tight confines of the room allow very little room for maneuver. He smiles at Macario and leans in a little.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

zielonobrody wrote: Pearl
Mrs. Macario gratefully latches on to the small talk, she doesn't get many visitors so she's happy to hear what's going on in the world. She feels she is being treated well and the medication and treatment seems to be working.
"May I say that you look very well Mrs Macario. This place seems to be agreeing with you."

[Spoiler-Button]I ramble on a little about happening in Boston that I think may be of interest to her.[/Spoiler-Button]
zielonobrody wrote: Pearl
Upon mention of the house she goes stiff and pales. She starts to shiver more and more with every sentence.
No, please. I'd rather not talk about that. It's what got me here in the first place. I don't... I don't want to go back to those dreadful nights and that horrid thing. She whimpers and turns away from you, shaking.
"Easy there Mrs. Macario, I don't want to cause you any upset at all.." Pearl lays a reassuring hand on the woman's trembling arm. "We ... my colleagues and I; would like to get this cleared up though so that no other family has to go through what you had to. But we shall go at your own pace my lovely!"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Karl and Dan
Dan listens in for a while, Vittorio makes no move to change anything he's doing. The muttering is a constant flow of random words. There are a few words that repeat themselves over the minute of intensive listening: face, red, eyes, scared, night, bed, sleep.

Suddenly Vittorio jumps up and starts walking around the perimiter of the room hurriedly. His mumbling continues, every few words a loud sorrowful yelp escapes his lips. He walks around you like you weren't there at all.

Pearl
She calms a little, but is clearly very sad now.
I haven't seen my boys for so long. They don't come to visit very often. They're in Maryland now, that's so far away. My poor Vittorio too. It was after him, I'm sure. That devil thing was after him. Every night, it would wake us and scare us till we were out of breath and it would go away. The horrors we sustained... It left my husband broken in mind and spirit. They took him away, but still the creature came. I coudn't keep up either. They took the boys and put me here. I'm sorry, I need to lie down and rest now. I've told you all I can. I hope you can get rid of it so nobody else has to live through the horror that we barely survived. You can't imagine, those red glowing eyes are forever imprinted in my brain. I'm afraid I'll never be the same.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan frowned, "I don't think this fellow is in the right state of mind to help us." He eyes followed Vittorio as the man paced around the room. Stepping to the door, Dan looked out to see if anyone was directly outside before suggesting, "Maybe we should check him for physical evidence of an attack."
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

Karl looks at Dan blankly for a moment, then with shock.

"What do you... Surely you aren't suggesting that we... I may not have the most sterling reputation in this city, but I don't care to risk what I do possess."

He looks toward the door to see if, perhaps, the attendant has returned. This visit is worse than he had expected. Then he suddenly turns to Macario, all but shouting: "Imbecile! What has reduced you to this? What is in that house?!"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Pearl looks at Mrs Macario with unbridled sympathy etched in every part of her face.

"How did it scare you? I know this must be very hard for you Mrs. Macario, but of we are to stop this ..." Pearl sits down next to her and puts her arm around her shoulders before continuing ... "If we are to try and stop this 'Devil-thing' as you call it, to prevent it from harming others as it has your good family, then by all that's good in this world I ask you to let me know what it does, and from this we may protect ourselves somehow, to find some way to end this once and for all"

"What are you writing there Mrs Macario? it looks like excellent penmanship if I may say so - especially compared to my scrawling writing!"
Pearl smiles reassuringly at the poor unfortunate inmate of the sanitorium thinking to herself 'What in the name of ... what has driven this poor woman so close to the edge I wonder ... I must find out what this ... this thing is so that I ... that we can make sure there are no more people like this poor family again!'

Pearl places her hands on Mrs. Macarios shoulders and as a stray tear falls from her pale cheek, she looks the woman straight in the eye and asks. "Please, any thing you can tell me will be of great use - no matter how small or silly it may seem to be ... I know you are tired but please try for me."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Pearl
Mrs. Macario turns away towards her desk and does not reply to your inquiries. The door opens and the orderly enters.
I'm sorry ma'am, we should go. He motions for you to exit and will not take no for an answer. As you rise and look back, you catch Mrs. Macario glimpsing at you from the corner of her eye, you hear a muffled "goodbye" from her. You make your way back to where you left the boys.

Karl and Dan
Vittorio stops and stares in Karls eyes. Then his gaze sort of drifts away focusing on something right behind Karls head, it's unnerving, like he could see right through you. He starts walking again quicker than last time. You hear the door open and the orderly asks you to come out.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

"Fine!" Karl huffs as he turns to face the orderly, brushing past the man, muttering under his breath: "[sub]Fool's errand in the first place. Just a waste of time. I said it would be useless.[/sub]"

In the corridor he finds Pearl. "Was your 'interview' as unproductive as ours, Miss Wealstone?"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan frowns as the door opens, it wasn't enough time. Given just a few more minutes, he might have been able to search for physical evidence as he'd hoped to have the chance. He looked to the pacing man and said "Vittorio, we're going back to your house. We'll get to the bottom of it. You can rest easy, my friend." After that, he headed out of the room.
Last edited by ImpInTraining on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

As Pearl discusses her brief chat with Mrs. Macario you head downstairs. (You can read up on their chat above if you haven't yet) On your way down Dan spots something with the corner of his eye, a familiar jacket. It seems Calum is having a chat with an inmate in the recreational room.

BTW, who is Jack? :D
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Jack,A private dick back in 1920's Egypt... man was I lost.
Dan Marrison

Dan turns and approaches Calum and his new friend in the recreation room, "Hey Calum, we're about to leave. But if you'd like to stay a little longer, maybe we can hook you up with a room?"
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Calum:

Calum turns when he hears Dan. "Ah, the Centurion returns. I hope your chat with the last tenant went well?"

Calum turns back and shakes the hand of the poor lost archeologist. "So kind of you to share your experience with me. Rest assured, I will be extra careful from now on."

Calum grabs his coat and hat. "No chance we could have the Bosch committed I suppose?"
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner
andyw666 wrote:Calum: "No chance we could have the Bosch committed I suppose?"
Karl sighs heavily, but doesn't rise to the bait.

At the desk, Karl approaches the receptionist. "Pardon me Miss... Shirley, isn't it? Would it be at all possible for us to see Dr. Hardstrom? If he requires, we would certainly be willing to pay a small consultation fee. Isn't that right, Mr. Marrison?"

Karl smiles ingratiatingly at the woman.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan Marrison

Dan chuckled at Calum's commentary, and waved him along expecting to be on the way out, but Karl had other intents. He changed his trajectory toward Shirley's desk while nodding at Karl's question.

"It is pretty late," Dan said. "He probably isn't here at this hour. But if he is, we certainly would be interested in speaking with him directly."
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Shirley
I'm sorry, he left while you were upstairs. I can sign you up for an appointment tomorrow afternoon. She signs you up for 7PM.
Dan,Shirley throws Dan a shy look and finding him looking at her, quickly looks away. You see her blush faintly and she gets on with her work.
It's practically orange outside you notice. The last rays of the sun are just disappearing behind the horizon. You step outside into the fading sunlight.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Once outside, Dan shook his head. "Well, that was practically pointless." He nods to Karl, "Should have listened to Poindexter here." He asked Pearl, "Did the lady have any injuries supporting her story? I wanted to check Vittorio, but Karl was no help there. So far, seems like just a case of someone trying to scare them away. Probably a disgruntled neighbor or something. Maybe a racoon stealing garbage out of their can and climbing in to raid the kitchen." He shrugged and then asked, "Where to now? Back to the house? The night is still young."

Return to “The Haunting (Redux)”