IC Scene 6a - Back in the Library; Calum and Pearl

An old house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: zielonobrody

andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Re: IC Scene 6a - Back in the Library; Calum and Pearl

Post by andyw666 »

Calum:

Actually, Calum wasn't going anywhere with Dan, he was still researching for all he was worth...
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan pushed the money back, "I still have what we were paid. The equipment is coming out of that first... no need to tip into your own wallet. Besides, I had already purchased four notebooks and four pens. We're in good shape for taking notes." He nodded though looking thoughtfully, "You are right about the meal though. Why don't you hit a diner. I'll pick something up along the way, and meet you all back here later. If I don't find you here, I'll assume you headed to the house."

He headed on out, and hops in his car - alone. He's perfectly ok with that, after all, he wanted to stop by Donald Kolberger's house again and ask about the past tenants. He didn't give two shakes what Karl thought about preconceptions. Dan liked knowing what he was getting himself into.
ooc,It's probably not necessary to break to separate threads if you want to keep it simple. Basically, I'm stopping by that general store for the few extra items - metal tins for keeping the food, mice and rat traps. Then I'm going to swing by someplace to get a quick burger and a coke, then over to Donald Kolberger's house to ask who his last tenants were and if he has their address. If they are local, I might swing by and talk to them afterwards.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by zielonobrody »

ooc: @Dan - Mr. Kolberger mentioned that the last residents, the Macario family are at a mental institution. This was the only family he mentioned loaning the house to. It must have been a recent aquisition of his. PM me if you still want to go and ask questions.

Dan returns in about half an hour and hears a loud "Eureka!" from the newspaper clipping room. Karl and Pearl are struck by this exclamation while browsing the occult section too (BTW. nothing interesting in the occult books in regard to this investigation, there are some interesting titles though). An angry Ms. Brunhilda comes running to stop any more loud shouts but is quickly persuaded that you will take care of the unruly Mr. Childs.

An excited Calum awaits in the clipping room with what seems to be a discovery.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

Karl catches sight of Dan as he comes into the library.

"Good you returned, Marrison. My Stutz is a two-seater and Childs would have had to walk to --" He breaks off as Calum's shout rings through the quiet rooms and hustles over to soothe Brunhilda, murmuring about the excitement of discovery and the treasures to be found in her marvelous establishment..
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,Dan would have gone to ask where the mental institution was so he could go question them. He'd question what the aunt's name where the children were taken. Failing that, he'd examine a local directory for the sanitariums in the area and look for other Macario residences.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Dan,The Macarios are being held in the Pawtucket Asylum. The aunt lives in Maryland, Eliza Macario. You were given an address. The Macarios were from Maryland originally and they moved to Providence for work. The rest of their family is probably back in the area where the boys were taken.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan finds a pay phone while they're finishing up in the library and calls the Pawtucket Sanitarium to find out about visitors' hours and asks about the general mental well-being of the Macarios.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Calum:

Calum was excitedly clutching the article he'd found and walking fast, tight circles, when he realised he had just shouted out loud. Clearing his throat and attempting to look innocent, he pulled his pipe out for a celebratory puff, remembered where he was and put it back in his pocket, sighing.

"Chaps, I've found another article on this Corbitt fellow, have a look at this."

Calum showed the others a file in the Providence Business Journal saying that Walter Corbitt, esq was sued by his neighbors who petition him to leave the area

"in consequence of his surious [sic] habits and unauspicious demeanor."

The article is from June 12, 1852.

"I wonder if there would be any court records of the case?"
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

"Probably there are records. But this is seventy-five years ago. All it demonstrates is that Walter Corbitt, Esquire lived in the house for twenty years or more and was unpopular with his neighbors. He apparently wasn't breaking any laws, because the neighbors had to resort to a civil suit, rather than using the law enforcement authorities.

"The afternoon is slipping away from us here.
"
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Calum:

Calum gave the Bosch a doubtfull look. Then he pulled off his specs and started polishing them, while screwing up his mole-like face in thought.

"Well, I'm not the expert on this sort of thing, but it was my understanding that back in those days, the local sheriff was pretty thin on the ground and not likely to interfere except in the most extreme cases, especially here in the US after the Mother Country's government had been so ungratefully kicked out."

"Back then, I think the only way neighbours could stop a lot of what would now be seen as criminal activity was to sue in a civil court. So, it could be Corbitt was up to something really quite objectionable. If he was, say digging a mine in his basement, that could have been the problem then and the problem now."

(OOC: Can Calum make a history roll about this? I don't want to wax too lyrical on stuff he shouldn't know...)
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

"Even so, it is a long time ago. Dan's idea of contacting the most recent residents who feared so much and departed so quickly, would be more productive, in my opinion. However, I do believe such interviews are better left for after we form our own fresh impressions." His stomach rumbles audibly. He turns to Pearl with an embarrassed smile and a small shrug.

"I do beg your pardon. Really, can't we continue these discussions over some food. It is so late in the day now that I hesitate to term it lunch."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

"Yowser! Is that really how late it is?"

[OOC-Button]What time is it in game world?[/OOC-Button]
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

It's quarter past five PM.

If Calum wishes to add anything I'll roll up a history roll for him, it that's all, it's fine by me.

You all make your way to a nearby diner. The food is hot, tasty and rather cheap. The sun slowly sets as you finish your food.

I shan't make another thread for that, continue here please. Carry on.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,Hadn't heard anything about the productivity of my pay-phone call to the local sanitarium... therefore...
Dan had no luck finding a pay phone at the library and headed off to the diner with the others and ate well. He didn't realize just how hungry he was. After being brought up to date on the findings, Dan said "I intend on driving over to the Pawtucket Sanitarium to speak with the Macarios."

Looking to Karl, he feels the need to explain further, "Unlike you, I like to know precisely what I'm getting myself into. So you will have to forgive me this one transgression to your protocol, but if I can I will speak with them tonight. I promise to keep my findings to myself until you decide you want to know."

Turning to glance to the other two at the table, he asks, "Anyone care to accompany me?"
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Dan,My bad, I forgot about your inquiry. Dan recalls that visiting hours usually end at 8PM in hospitals, so probably the same for the sanitarium.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Pearl thinks for a moment before saying;

"I wouldn't mind Dan, though could we get there in time. Wouldn't you need to have an appointment or something as well?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan Marrison

"Do you know what the average wage is of a sanitarium orderly?" Dan asked Pearl rhetorically. "I think I can get a couple dead presidents to help convince them to bend some rules if need be. Of course, with your charm, that might not be necessary."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Pearl looks at him, her face all innocence and charm - eyes almost impossibly wide. Slowly she blinks and her mouth opens slightly as breathlessly she almost pants;

"D'you means like this Mr. Mawwison?" as she places her hand on Dan's chest flirtateously before a wide smile opens across her features.

[OOC-Button](Is 'flirtateously' a word ?? well it it is now!)[/OOC-Button]
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

Karl starts with the rolls and butter and eats steadily through a bowl of vegetable soup, then starts on the blue plate special -- pot roast and potatoes and green beans. He hates missing a meal. He pays scant attention to Dan's babble about the Macaroons and the sanitarium. But when Pearl goes into her little act, he is transfixed, his mouth briefly agape. Then he collects himself, swallows his apple pie a la mode and chuckles.

"Really, Miss Wealstone, you must be quite effective on the stage. She should definitely go with you, Marrison, in case you need help convincing the doctors to let you in."

He pushes his plate away, dabbing at his lips with the napkin. He lights a cigarette (slipping a 'Mae's Diner' ashtray into his pocket).

"Look, it's gone completely dark. I don't fancy stumbling about that decrepit, vermin-ridden hovel tonight. Why don't we all go to the loony-bin. We can sleep in our own beds and and start our on-site investigations tomorrow morning."
Last edited by Gaffer on Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan Marrison

To Pearl, Dan smiled and winked, "That's very nice. You'd win me over in a heartbeat."

"If you want to sleep in your own bed tonight, that's your perrogative, Karl. But I plan on starting the stakeout tonight. Ghosts only haunt at night, right?" Dan asked ignorantly. "We've got plenty of lanterns to light our way."

Return to “The Haunting (Redux)”