IC Scene 6a - Back in the Library; Calum and Pearl

An old house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: zielonobrody

zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

IC Scene 6a - Back in the Library; Calum and Pearl

Post by zielonobrody »

Pearl dives into the stacks of papers without much fervor, while Calum, just the opposite.
Rolls,Calum - Library Use[40] : 57 Pearl - Library Use[50] : 52 Sorry guys,you don't find anything and you spend over three hours searching. Pearl is done for the day, capable of only going home and lying down. Her head is about to split. Calum will walk her home and can return to the Library once he does. But I'll leave that to a new player if I find one. Sorry Cearlan. I'll PM you when Pearl will be back, probably meaning when we finish the day. OK?
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: IC Scene 6a - Back in the Library; Calum and Pearl

Post by Cearlan »

zielonobrody wrote:Sorry Cearlan. I'll PM you when Pearl will be back, probably meaning when we finish the day. OK?[/spoiler-button]
[ooc-Button]Wail, Wail, Wail - Gnash, Gnash, Gnash. And there were many of the tribe of Wealdstone who proceeded to wail and yet gnash their teeth!

No problem buddy - I'll check in on occasion but would appreciate an email to let me know when I'm ... sorry when she's back - Norm[/ooc-Button]
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Calum:

(OOC: back!)

Regarding Pearl with some veiled disapproval, Calum nonetheless felt obliged to walk her home. Once she appeared to be safely at her front door, he politely raised his hat in parting then headed straight back for more researching.

As soon as he was back at the library, Calum lit up his pipe and got back to it...
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

As Calum drops Pearl at her home she says to him;-

"Why thank you for bringing me back home Callum, my head is pounding something terrible. You know I have never suffered from migaines, but this feels just like the way my cousin Englebert described when he has them. I'm sorry, but I cannot seem to focus this afternoon. Perhaps I did too much this morning after Karl left me."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Calum:

As he departed, Calum replied to Pearl, "Yes, well, perhaps it was the research, or perhaps too much liquor and loud jazz music last night? Either way, leave it to me."

With badly disguised distaste, Calum raised his hat and fled.

Ma warned me about these women. She probably has some terrible 'social affliction' after being too easy with her favours.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

OOC: You can't be serious about lighting your pipe in a room full of old newspaper clippings... You're getting your butt hauled out of there in no time with a permanent band from all libraries if you do. Just to give you a heads u since you're still chatting up Pearl ;)

On to the library!

Calum,Roll for Library use[40] = 24 After about four hours and a few breaks and brief chats with Ms. Brunhilda you stumble onto a file in the Providence Business Journal saying that Walter Corbitt, esq was sued by his neighbors who petition him to leave the area [code]"in consequence of his surious [sic] habits and unauspicious demeanor."[/code] The article is from June 12, 1852. Don't share this information just yet, as Karl and Dan might join you in the meantime. I'm rushing things along just a bit.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC: Fair cop. In the interests of public safety, Calum will only smoke his pipe outside the library, on breaks from the research frenzy.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Re: IC Scene 6a - Back in the Library; Everybody

Post by zielonobrody »

Dan and Karl make it to the Library with a stop for some Soda at the gas station along the way. Calum is inside rummaging through the stacks of files. Dan says hi to him and gets right to work. Pearl isn't present.
Dan,Library Use[25] = 89 You find nothing.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

Karl stops outside to smoke a cigarette and page through the diaries a bit. Then it hits him. Corbitt! But surely that was the name in the newspaper article. He throws down his cigarette and hurries inside to tell the others. He finds them back in the newspaper archive.

"Look here, chaps, I found these notebooks in the house. Where's that article about the original owner who died and the house was sold?"
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

The article is on a nearby desk.
Karl,You won't find anything interesting by just paging through the diaries, they need a thorough read if you're to find anything useful. Care to try helping the guys look through the old articles? You have a second chance of finding something.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

Karl looks at the article. Sure enough, "W. Corbitt." Could be Walter Corbitt's father. Or grandfather. He looks at the last few pages in each volume to see when the entries stop. [Since these are diaries, I presume there are dates.] He points the congruence out to Calum and Dan.

"And where is our lovely Miss Wealstone?"

Bored, he wanders away to browse through the library's meagre selection of occult-related books. [D100=23 Library Use (25)] Perhaps he will find something interesting.
Last edited by Gaffer on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan Marrison

Dan looks through some of the papers, but is too easily distracted by historical crimes and other oddities unrelated to their research to be of any use. It was this attention deficit why he didn't want to do the dusty study research in the first place. He was a man of action, and not only did this sort of thing bore the tears out of him, but it smelled dusty and made him sneeze on numerous occasions.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

"Gesundheit."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Huh? Oh... thanks," Dan said looking up to Karl, then pinched his nose and jiggled it to work the dust out. "You know, I'm not finding much anything of use. I'd probably be better seeking the last occupants and questioning them." His eyebrows furrowed in an instant, "Why haven't we thought of that before? Maybe they can explain why everything was so secured and why they left without finishing their last meal in the place."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

After taking some 'Asprin' tablets and resting for a short period of time Pearl starts to feel a little better so heads over to the library once more.

"Hey there fella's, find anything new? Sorry about before, but I was feeling real bad. I feel a bit better now. Like I said to Dan earlier, maybe I overdid things a bit this morning."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Calum:

"Welcome back to the coalface chaps, hope the house was suitably spooky?"

OOC: Oh Keeper, is this about the point that Calum has made his researching discovery?
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Cearlan wrote:"Hey there fella's, find anything new? Sorry about before, but I was feeling real bad. I feel a bit better now. Like I said to Dan earlier, maybe I overdid things a bit this morning."
Karl Werner

"Ah, here she is now," he smiles fondly at Pearl, then turns to chide Calum, "'Spooky' is such a callow, immature term. Psychical research, paranormal investigation must be scientific if it is to demonstrate validity.

"As to the house, we must not indulge in sentiment and melodrama. You will form your own opinions of the place soon enough. Suffice to say that it has been neglected even before it was abandoned -- apparently in the midst of a meal. I did find these diaries belonging to one Walter Corbitt. And, look, he must be related to the 'W. Corbitt, Esq' named in this article as the new owner of the house. This may prove significant."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan Marrison

Dan rolled his eyes. "Spooky doesn't begin to describe the feelings I was getting in the place. There's a rat problem as well, so make sure you keep your perishables protected accordingly. I'm going to be slipping back to the store and pick up some metal containers for the food and some mice and rat traps. But regardless, that doesn't explain why all the windows were nailed shut, nor why all the doors - including the cellar door - have multiple locks on them, nor why they felt the need to nail up a cupboard in one room where Karl found that diary. The last tenants apparently left before having the opportunity to finish their last meal. But Karl's right. You'll all form your own opinions about the place soon enough. One thing I know for certain is that there hasn't been anyone in there recently."

He sat down the paper he was looking through and said, "I think I'll go have another talk with the landlord about the last tenants. Maybe we can find them and ask them some questions. They may have fled the house, but are probably still in the city."
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

"See here, old man," says Walter, "It's after two o'clock and we still haven't had lunch yet. No wonder poor Pearl felt faint. Besides, there's only a few more hours of daylight, if we're going to get set up in that house for tonight. And we really shouldn't talk to anyone with any preconceptions of what might occur, at least not before we have each had a chance to experience the place and record our observation. That's standard procedure in any scientific investigation."

He snaps his fingers, "That's another thing we need: four cheap copybooks and eight pencils for our journals. Here's fifty cents. You can pick them up while you're getting the tin boxes and rat traps. You and Calum go along and Miss Wealstone and I will meet you at the house after I get her some nourishment." He smiles at Pearl.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Pearl flutters her eyelashes at Karl and smiles coquetishly at Karl. As Dan walks away with Calum, she sticks her toungue out at his retreating back. She then leans in towards Karl slightly saying in a conspiritorial tone;

"I get the distinct feeling he don't approve of me Karl, well bleurgh to him and his stuffed shirt ways ... Y'know, he walked me home earlier and I think he couldn't getaway fast enough, frightened in case he caught something offa my breath or something Goddammit! Ah well - his loss more than mine I s'pose."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “The Haunting (Redux)”