IC Scene 5 - Convergence (Everybody)

An old house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: zielonobrody

zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

IC Scene 5 - Convergence (Everybody)

Post by zielonobrody »

Monday, March 13, 1922
approaching noon
Providence, Rhode Island

Dan and Calum finally pack all the equipment into the trunk and proceed towards the City Hall in hopes of finding someone there. Luck shines upon them as they see Karl striding towards the square.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: IC Scene 5 - Convergence

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan waved his arm out of the rolled-down window and called out, "Hey Karl!" He pulled the car over in an empty parking spot and hopped out. "I think we're pretty well off far as supplies go. Could still use a camera incase we come across something interesting. How did you fare?"
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

"Hullo, chaps," says Karl, jauntily, "My camera equipment is in my auto. Will you need my cots and blankets and cooking gear?

"City Hall was rather a washout. The clerk was a total dullard. But Pearl felt that she was on to something at the library. I told her to carry on while I rendezvoused with you lot."
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Well," Dan says "we have the cots covered. But we could probably use the blankets and cooking gear sure enough." He looked at Calum and said, "So to the library then?"
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

"I don't mind delaying lunch for a bit, if you fellows want to visit the library. I seem to have rather charmed the librarian, Miss Brunnhilda."
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Re: IC Scene 5 - Convergence (Everybody)

Post by zielonobrody »

You make your way back to the library and Karl shows you to the old clippings. Pearl hardly notices you come in. As you start looking at the stacks of newspaper clippings Pearl shouts out:

"I have it!"
Exhausted, she hands you the clipping and leaves the room to take a breath of fresh air:

Code: Select all

August 7, 1835
The brand new house at Narrow Lane 34 has changed ownership due to the serious illness of Mr. Nichols. Mr. Nichols, a prosperous merchant of 45 has been hospitalized for the time being and the doctors don't see any chance of him leaving the hospital soon. The doctors have not said what this illness is, but assure us that it's not an easy one to cure, and that Mr. Nichols is in a serious condition. Without prospects of leaving the institution Nichols has decided to sell the newly built house to a Mr. Walter Corbitt, esquire.
The article is from the Providence Insider. You've never heard of this newspaper before. It must have gone out of business some time ago.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Good show, Pearl!" Dan commends. "Quite a find. I wonder how much bearing it will have on our investigation? A serious and mysterious illness had befallen the original owner. Nothing else noteworthy ... to find then?" He frowned, "I was hoping for something a little more eye-opening."
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

"Hmmmm. I was hoping for something more recent," Karl mutters, "I'm not much surprised at doctors a hundred years ago being unable to diagnose an illness. Most were quacks and pill-pushers from what I understand. I rather doubt that poor Mr. Nichols is haunting his former residence.

"I wonder if we can find anything out about the fate of this Walter Corbitt. Of course, he probably died before the Civil War. From whom did our employer purchase the property? I cannot believe that this city has no records on the transferrence of property!

"Miss Brunhilda,"
he calls, crossing to the reference desk, "Where should we go to look up a property in town and who has owned it over the years? I appeal to your encyclopedic knowledge, schoene Frau."
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Brunhilda

She appears out of the thin air in no time at all.
I don't think you'll have easy access to that type of file. I would assume they'd be at the High Court. You might have better luck at the Providence Journal, they're the oldest and they've been most esteemed newspaper for decades. Although they don't have anything earlier than 1878. That's when their building burned down. Anything earlier than that you'll find here. We've yet to finds someone to keep these clippings organised. I personally appologize for the disarray.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan Marrison

Dan listened quietly while the two conversed and shrugged indifference. "I think maybe we should just head over to the house. Once there and having explored it thoroughly, we can discuss if any additional research is necessary."
ooc,I'm sorry, I can't remember who Walter Corbitt is. Should I know the name in character?
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

OOC: None of you have heard of Walter Corbitt before.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"So who is Walter Corbitt?" Dan asked trying to fill in his gaps of ignorance.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

Karl points to Corbitt's name in the clipping. "Apparently, he was the second owner of the property in question," he smirks. "I propose that we have some luncheon and then adjourn to the house before it grows later in the day. I shall have to swing by my digs to get some gear, but Miss Wealstone can help out with that while you chaps set up our base camp, as it were. Come, let us be off."
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

OOC. There are still things to be learned in the Library and other places. I suggest returning after dinner.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan Marrison

Dan says "I'll drop the stuff we have here in the car over at the house, then make my way back to the library for some more legwork through the dusty archives."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

As you all leave the Library, you pass Pearl on the steps outside, leaning against a baulstraude.

"It's so da ... sorry it's so stuffy in there, I had to get out for some air, and it ain't done nothing for my head. I think that I need something to eat, pretty quick too by the sounds my tummy's making." Pearl giggled and covered her mouth in mock horror as her stomach rumbled. "Oh my - I do apologise!" She fans her face to try and cool herself down a little, and to hide her crimson cheeks.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

You spot a nearby diner. The food is tasty and warm and fills your stomach quickly. You relax over a cup of tea after finishing.

Calum
I recon we go back for some stuffy air if you don't mind. That article about Mr. Corbitt sounds like it's just the beginning of the story. I'm sure we'll find more information on him and the house between the time of the article and the fire in the Providence Insider. There's nothing like having a good background before you start digging at the site my professors always told me.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Karl Werner

"And my mentors at the the Society for Psychical Research in London, England always warned against clouding one's perceptions with pre-conceived notions. But to each his own, right?" Karl smiles evenly at Calum, "Why don't Dan and I collect my gear and take everything to the house, while you and Miss Wealstone continue at the library? That way we can set up in daylight, rather than stumble around with only lanterns. Did you buy kerosene?"

Karl pushes his plate away and puts down enough coins to cover the cost, plus a small tip. As he starts to rise, he is struck by a sudden thought and sits again.

"Oh, I almost forgot. My attorneys advise that I require any associates involved in psychical research with me to become members of The Seer Society. Dues are only one dollar per month and we are then all mutually protected against liability. I will collect a month's dues now and bring membership cards for you from my office. Unless you wish the annual deal of only ten dollars for twelve months -- including a subscription to The Seer monthly journal?"
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Calum
To each his own of course. Once we encounter anything psychic to research I will consider your offer. Calum returns to sipping his tea with a sattisfied smile on his face.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Kerosene... hmm... not any more than comes with the lanterns off the shelf, which I figure is none. We'll have to make a quick stop on the way," Dan responds to the inquiry.

When he hears about this Seer Society and the dues, he is taken aback and furrows his eyebrows. With Calum's response, he chuckles and says, "And my boxing club manager advises that I require anyone who is accompanying me in possible physical altercations to become members of the club - for your own safety's sake of course. What a surprise, the fee just happens to be a dollar as well. You'll get free access to the boxing ring with a membership."

Return to “The Haunting (Redux)”