IC: Scene 3 - The meeting

An old house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: zielonobrody

zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

IC: Scene 3 - The meeting

Post by zielonobrody »

Monday, March 13, 1922
around 8:00
Providence, Rhode Island

After leaving the landlord's residence the previous day, you decided upon a meeting place. Everyoneagreed to meet at the town hall at 10AM in order to check any records of the house as Dan suggested.

Dan and Pearl
As the morning sun sheepishly creeps into your rooms, you awake to the most horrid headache you've experienced in at least a year. Must have been all the booze the previous night. These are troubling times indeed.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: IC: Scene 3 - The meeting

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan's hand goes to his head as he tries to sit up and feels his head pounding. "One glass too many, I think," he says to himself and then struggles to make his way to his feet. A trip to the bathroom was necessary... take care of some business, splash some water on his face and get a glass to drink... then some nice strong coffee would be best, yes.

Once he was done with all that, he dressed himself in respectable clothing so as to make the right impression upon the town hall employees. He dragged a razor across his stubbled cheeks and chin, and then found his way down to get some coffee.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

One thing working on the stage taught Pearl, how to be punctual. If you were late for ANY appointment, you lost out - it was a tough lesson to learn, but it didn't take long to sink in. So having woke up in a strange room, it took her a few moments to recognise her new lodgings. When the realisation sank in, then came the nausea and the pounding hangover.

"The fact I have to downsize is only a temporary glitch I'm sure," you tell yourself, trying to force some order on the inside of your head. Though deep down you cannot admit, not even to yourself, that this is the third downsize in the last fourteen months.

After getting a quick comfort break, a wash down and brushing your teeth, you are ready to take the world on ... well you would be if you had come caffiene inside of you ... and if your head din't feel like a dance troupe were doing their thing on the inside of your head. Normally you don't get hangovers, but it must be bacause you hadn't anything to eat before you started drinking.

It is just gone half eight and so you have plenty of time to grab a quick bite to eat and a coffee before you need to be at the Town Hall at ten. You are looking forward to seeing Dan once more, he seemed better than the usual class of fella you wind up with! Maybe he will ... steady girl, you only just met him last night! Is there a chemist on the way you wonder.
Last edited by Cearlan on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan saw Pearl make her way in to the restaurant and nodded with a smile... though the smile seemed somewhat strained. Seemed he was suffering with his own little headache at the moment. He'd hoped the answer to relief was at the bottom of his cup of coffee.
Last edited by ImpInTraining on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Well that's a bold assumption :D

Having found her way to a chemist on her rather wobbly legs and despite the Turkish March being danced in her head, Pearl manages to get herself an aspirin and slowly walks to her destination. The fresh air and the drug slowly clear her head from the pain and she decides to try to find a cafe near the meeting place. She finds one just vis'a'vis the Town Hall. An even more pleasant surprise is waiting for her inside... The cafe grandfather clock boldly strikes nine times.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Standing just inside the doorway as the clock stikes, Pearl grimaces for the first couple of strikes and then hangs her head, slowly shaking it from left to right. Any positive effects from the Asprin have just been chased away by the loudest clock ever made. Damn the Swiss and their insidious evil machines.

When she opens her eyes she can see a friendly face smiling wanly back at her.

Trying to put her best actresses skills to the fore she smiles and tries to hide the pain in her head, the queasiness in her stomach.

"Hey there Dan, how are you this morning. Thank you she adds to both the waitress and to Dan By all the Gods I really need this." She gets another couple of Asprin out and offers the bottle to Dan. "My head is fit to burst this morning - don't know about yours. Do you want some Aspin?"

"A lot of ground to cover ... we better get stocked up on supplies then."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan accepts the bottle of asprin and pops a couple tablets in his palm, throws them to the back of his mouth and drinks the last of his coffee. "Thank you, Pearl," he said as he replaced the asprin bottle cap and pushed it back to her. "Yes, lots to do. There is the research, of course... and we need to stock up on supplies as you suggested."

Dan rubbed his temples to try to get his brain back into detective mode and thought about what all they needed to undertake.

"Once our other two friends show up, we should split up. Two of us who have spent a good deal of time in libraries and researching ... to town hall. We need to get floor plans and boundary lines for this place, history of all the previous owners, wouldn't hurt to get the names and addresses of all the neighbors too." He stopped rubbing his forehead and looked around the room at all the others, wondering if any of them felt nearly as bad as he and Pearl did.

"After that, they could make a stop to the local library, do some digging in the news archives and see if there is anything to this history of ill fortune to the residents of this place. Any sort of history on the house or its residents would be great." Dan looked back at Pearl. "The other two of us could go to the store and procure some necessities. What exactly do we need? We're not going camping, but we can expect to stay there a few nights at least. Food, bedding, camera and film, maybe some other items that we could use to try to trap or signal an intruding by outside parties. I've heard of some people using supernatural folklore to lower the price of property, and maybe that's what's happening here."

"When they're done shopping, they can meet the other two at the library to help with historical research. After all, it will be the proverbial needle in a haystack to find anything about that house," Dan advised.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Pearl looks slightly crestfallen;

"I really do wish I could plan things out as thoroughly as that Dan ... I can follow instructions and remember stuff, a result of being an actress I suppose, remembering lines and all that. But when it comes to looking at a situation and working it all out ... <sigh> ... I'm just not cut out for it I suppose." She looks at Dan her eyes wide. "Each to his ... or her own I suppose."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

kouchpotato,So where is it exactly that Calum is currently?
everdarkgreen,You say your goodbyes to Will and decide to head out to the meeting point. You managed to get a rather good description of the people you're to be meeting. You get there a tad early, and start looking around for a place to sit down. There's a cafe just on the other side of the street. You decide to enter it. An elderly grandfather clock strikes the half hour. You sit down, order something and start looking around. As you scan the people, a couple at a nearby table strikes you as curious. You slowly realize that they fit Will's description rather well.
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by kouchpotato »

zielonobrody,Do I post in this thread about what Calum is doing?
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

@ cearlan - are you using a black skin here that you're writing in red? I typically use red as ooc you know.
@ kouckpotato - yes please :)
normski
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by normski »

OOC - It shall be blue from now on Cap'n
Take Care,

Normski
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Calum Childs woke with a start, turning over in his bed and looking at his alarm clock. He woke, showered, ate and was out the door in good time, still half asleep. Last night had been a late one, examining an early Chinese artifact that one of the professors at the museum seemed to think was some sort of mechanical device. He walked out to his car, and placed the bag into the back. It contained the tool for an archaeological dig, as well as a basic aid kit in case of injury and several other items of importance. The drive to the arranged meeting spot was rather uneventful.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan smiled as the waitress refilled his coffee mug and thanked her. Then looking back to Pearl, he stirred a spoon full of sugar in without looking as he said "I wonder if maybe it might be a good idea to cover more spiritual necessities? Like some holy water? A bag of salt? What sort of things are good against ghosts anyway? Garlic?"
everdarkgreen
Layman
Layman

Post by everdarkgreen »

Karl smiles coyly to himself and interrupts, "A stiff drink and a healthy distrust for all you see, hear and have been told... Or so I have been told." He stands and extends a hand in greeting to Dan but almost loses his balance, side effects of a home distilled gin and absinthe breakfast. "Mr. Werner, Karl."
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

kouchpotato,You look around the plaza in front of the Town Hall. You don't see anybody standing around in a huddle discussing important matters, nor for that matter anyone fitting the description you've been given. Out of the corner of your eye you spot something that draws your eyes. "The Pharaohs Coffee House". The decorations are in so many ways wrong you start counting them and berating the designer in your head. A couple in the window strikes you as odd, drinking coffee and talking to some chap standing over their table. Their heads are turned away from you but somehow you get the feeling that these are the people you are looking for. [color=#FF0000]You can continue for all to see.[/color]
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan, not being completely devoid of manners, stands and shakes Karl's hand, "Hi, I'm Dan Marrison, and my lovely associate here is Pearl Wealstone. Can't say that I object to your views, but being as how such things are illegal these days..." he eyes the room looking for anyone else overhearing their conversation. "Won't you join us, Mr. Werner? We were just waiting for a couple friends to join us, but there seems to be no shortage of chairs."

Dan is a tall and broad man, in excellent condition, with wavy hair greased in style and parted on the side. He was clean-shaven, and the red puffy eyes gave away his own hangover. He was an average looking man to look at far as good looks were considered... but there was something in his eyes that hinted of an intelligence one might not normally assume a large man such as himself to possess.
everdarkgreen
Layman
Layman

Post by everdarkgreen »

Karl bows to Pearl "Frauline.", he smiles, "How very nice to meet you both." He pulls up a chair and seat himself at the table, "Now, before you both start wondering 'who is this man?' or 'what in the world does he want from us?' or perhaps 'what terrible things will he do to us? oh no!' or 'what is this man trying to sell us quick get the police!' or... uh...", he pauses, confusion in his face, his grey, bloodshot eyes darting, "Uh, where was I? Oh yes! Mr. Crigley! He's feeling a bit under the weather today, I'm here in replacement from the Miskatonic Trident." Karl spies a waiter approaching his previous table and alerts him of his new position. He thanks the waiter as he places the coffee before him, eying him as he walks away. After a few quick glances over his shoulder he reaches into his coat pocket to produce a flask, pouring its contents into his coffee and returning it to his pocket, quite swiftly. With a few more cautionary glances about he turns his attention back to the conversation with a sly smile as he lifts the cup as if to say "look what I can do", "Freshly squeezed juice, good for the nervous system." He winks.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Pearl looks aghast at the newcomer and places her hand on his arm;

"Mr. Werner, Please! Are you trying to get us all in trouble ... who knows what supporters of Volstead and his nanny-state followers there may be in here ... A bit of discretion, I beg of you!" Pearl blushes as she hastilly removes her arm from Karl's arm.

"I don't mean to be rude, but why are you here Mr. Werner? And what does the Miskatonic Trident have to do with our meeting here this morning? " Her eyes look to Dan for some sort of explanation.

"Sorry, I meant no offence Mr. Werner, Karl was it? Lord knows we could do with more help ... and we all seem to have a monster hangover today What did you say was wrong with Mr. Crigley again?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Dan leaned back in his seat, folding his arms across his chest with a sly smile as Pearl and Karl went on. He too casually glanced about to see if they were drawing unwanted attention before saying, "Well, if Mr. Crigley has fallen ill, then I guess a replacement is just as good. He didn't strike me as a gutsy fellow anyway. Probably would have been the first to go running out the front door."

Return to “The Haunting (Redux)”