Character Ideas and Generation

An old house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: zielonobrody

zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Character Ideas and Generation

Post by zielonobrody »

Here we'll discuss your ideas for Investigators and where I'll tell you how to do it.

I'd like rolls for your characters to be done via http://www.invisiblecastle.com/roller which is how many of the games everywhere roll dice. For this portion of the game, please use Campaign name: Haunt and your username as the character name.
You can roll STR, CON, POW, DEX, APP, and EDU all at once. Put 7 in for the number of rolls and 3d6 for the dice. This will give you one more roll then necessary so you can drop the lowest and then assign the other rolls as you see fit. Don't forget to add 3 to your EDU roll. Do the same for SIZ and INT except only do two rolls (no dropping the lowest) and change the dice accordingly (2d6+6). Let me know if anyone has trouble with this.

There will be a link you can use to post in this thread like so:
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1450600/

Next when you've chosen your skill class, there are some eight "occupation skills" to which you may assign EDUx20 points to. These skills are class dependant. I'll be using my trusty CoC 5.1.1 handbook (it's not mine actually...). If you don't know what classes you can choose from, let me know and I'll supply you with the skills for them. I couldn't find this info in later editions of the handbook.

Then you get Intx10 skill points to assign to any skills you want.

Extra rule from me: don't go over 80 in any skill.

Idea = INTx5
Luck=San=POWx5
Know=EDUx5

Creativity will warrant awards. There will be four, I'll let you know when we finish. It is possible for one Investigator to take them all .

Bonus 1 of 4.

ImpIntraining gains a Karma point for the first description of an Investigator. Yeah, so you all introduced yourselves, but what the heck do you look like?

Explaining the Karma point. With it you can change any one Investigator FAIL into a SUCCESS. The greater the fail was, the greater the success will be. So for example a roll of 100 will turn into a 1. Just once mind you. it's valid till the end of the game. Have fun with it.

kouchpotato and sushibite get to work :)
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
everdarkgreen
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Character Ideas and Generation

Post by everdarkgreen »

They see me rollin':
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2203921/
and SIZ & INT
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2203928/

And here's my character:

Name: Karl Werner
Colleges, Degrees: Miskatonic University, MA
Birthplace: Vienna
Mental Disorders: kleptomaniac
Sex: m Age: 29

STR: 11 DEX: 11 INT: 16 Idea: 80
CON: 12 APP: 8 POW: 9 Luck: 45
SIZ: 11 SAN: 45 EDU: 14 Know: 70

99-Cthulhu Mythos: 99 Damage Bonus: none

Accounting 10%
Anthropology 1%
Archaeology 1%
Astronomy 1%
Bargain 5%
Biology 1%
Chemistry 1%
Climb 40%
Conceal 30%
Credit Rating 40%
Cthulhu Mythos 0%
Disguise 31%
Dodge 40%
Drive Auto 20%
Electrical Repair 10%
Fast Talk 45%
First Aid 30%
Geology 1%
Handgun 20%
Hide 30%
History 20%
Jump 25%
Law 5%
Library Use 25%
Listen 25%
Locksmith 1%
Machine Gun 15%
Martial Arts 1%
Mechanical Repair 20%
Medicine 5%
Natural History 10%
Navigate 10%
Occult 5%
Operate Hvy. Machine 1%
Other Language: Afrikaans 36%
Other Language: German 81%
Persuade 40%
Pharmacy 1%
Photography 70%
Physics 1%
Psychoanalysis 1%
Psychology 45%
Ride 5%
Rifle 25%
Shotgun 30%
Sneak 17%
Spot Hidden 40%
Submachine Gun 15%
Swim 25%
Throw 25%
Track 30%
Fist/Punch 60%
Head Butt 10%
Kick 25%
Grapple 25%
Small Knife* 25%

Possessions:
Pocket knife
Photographic equipment
Cigarettes
Matches
Writing materials (inc. several notebooks)
Hip flask containing foul smelling homebrewed spirits

When Karl's great-aunt decided to shuffle off this mortal coil and leave him as sole recipient of her entire fortune he used the advantage to bribe his way through Miskatonic University and subsequently further his career as a photojournalist, co-founding an independent tabloid with his brother, Klaus. The paper had mild success due to its generous coverage of supernatural phenomena and Karl now fancies himself a bit of a P.I., a Paranormal Investigator, despite the fact he hasn't the slightest clue as to what he's doing and over half the stories he prints are works of fiction. Karl also likes to distill his own spirits (no pun intended... ok maybe a little) and carries a flask of his own produce with him at all times. Generally Karl is perceived as a trustworthy character, but in all truth he is not to be trusted.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Great! You're all set to go. Waiting upon kouchpotato. Dude, where art thou?
everdarkgreen
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by everdarkgreen »

Starchin' up dem couches no doubt.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Bonus 2 of 4

So the second award for a brave entry that I totally didn't understand goes to everdarkgreen, that means he has a colorful character in mind. Congrats! You get a bonus KARMA POINT!

Bonus 3 of 4

Goes to kouchpotato for having the worst throws by my calculations. You can add 3 points to your stats and upgrade your skills if you add to INT or EDU accordingly.

Bonus 4 of 4

Goes to ImpInTraining for the most thorough character BIO and description in this thread. That's a second KARMA POINT for you.

BTW. Beware of BAD KARMA.

Return to “The Haunting (Redux)”