IC: Scene 1 - A party to remember

An old house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: zielonobrody

zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

IC: Scene 1 - A party to remember

Post by zielonobrody »

Sunday, March 12, 1922
18:05
Providence, Rhode Island

It's a cold evening. Last weeks snow is still melting in heaps on some lawns. As you make your way to the party, a dog jumps out at you from its doghouse frightening you with its menacing barking. Fortunately you hear the sound of an uncoiling chain before jumping out of your skin and suddenly the dog stops in its track with a loud yelp and resumes its barking from the end of the chain.

The streets are empty and a chill is in the air. This would be a good night for a drink. You know it's not allowed, but you're hoping that there'll be something at least mildly alcoholic at the party.

You draw near your point of destination. It's a fairly new and large house with a whitewashed fence in front. The drapes are drawn and all is silent. As you mount the steps you hear music faintly seeping through the window. The door is opened by someone you don't even know. It's just a party that someone invited you to for no apparent reason. Maybe you let something slip to the right person... Nevertheless you are welcomed warly and shown into the main room, which contains a few people talking to each other here and there.

As you walk across the floor, listening in on conversations of other people you don't know, a maid with glasses of wine passes you. You take the wine and drink it thirstily. After satisfying your thirst and grabbing a sandwich from the table, you continue your stoll around the flat. A pleasant warmth from the wine fills your body.

Soon you find yourself listening in on a story told by an apparent war veteran. A missing leg, and scars on a rather young man are clues enough. It's a strange story about some weird things that he saw during the Great War. People come and go from around the narrator, but when he finally ends his story you are in the company of three total strangers and a fourth - the veteran.

So, I see you found my story interesting, he says. Interested in strange stories are we? Grab a seat and let's chat a bit, eh? Where are my manners. My name is Michael Firdsbee.

"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Re: IC: Scene 1 - A party to remember

Post by zielonobrody »

Dan Morrison

Dan nodded, "Glad to meet you, Name's Dan Marrison," to the veteran as he pulled a chair closer. "My father was in the war, and I didn't get to hear any of his stories... considering he was put out by some of that gas the Germans were fond of." Sitting down he folded his arms and leaned back in the seat, "Naturally, I'm interested to hear what others have to say about it."

He looked to the other three and waited to see if they were joining as well.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Mike Peterson

"Mike Peterson, its a pleasure" said Mike taking another chair and sitting down. He took another sip of wine and added, "It was a very interesting story you told, Mr. Firdsbee, I would like to hear more"
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Dan Marrison

Dan looked around. "Is there more wine?" he asked curiously after seeing Mike still had some. "Damn, I shouldn't have drank mine so quickly."
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Pearl Wealstone

"Hello there, I am Pearl, and I am doing some background work for my next role. I would simply love to hear your tale Mr. Firdsbee." She politely nods towarsd Dan and Mike. "Mr. Marrison, Mr. Peterson, I'm pleased top make your aquantances!"
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Will Crigler

"And closing our circle of curiosity Will Crigler, photojournalist on the loose from Views Magazine." After catching eye with each person he adds "Madame, gentlemen I bet we all'd like to hear the story now."
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Dan Marrison

Dan nodded to Will, "Sure thing." He leaned closer to Pearl and said behind his hand, "It's just Dan - unless you're paying me for my time... in which case Mr. Marrison is acceptable." He winked with a smile and motioned with his hand in a circle "Yes, please ... continue."

Dan was not an attractive fellow, but he was large and fit. He filled out his suit quite well, and seemed to have been in more than his share of scraps over the years judging by the scar on his cheek and his crooked nose. Though he didn't seem the type, something about the man seemed to hint of remarkable intelligence. Perhaps it was his his mannerisms, or just his attentiveness to the conversation and surroundings, but he didn't seem like dumb muscle someone might mistake him for.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Michael Firdsbee

So. Once, I was chasing a war criminal. An old bugger he was, but nasty as heck. Old wrinkled and capable of doing the most horrid things you could imagine. Killing babies, raping, destroying property, humiliating people. Somebody was bound to finally find him. This was France, mind you. So I finally caught up with him, I was right on his heels, just a step behind him. Had no idea where he was going. I found him in a small village. It was a run down place, with crumbling houses. I walked into the crooked house he was staying in and there he was, sitting unconscious in an armchair. The old ugly fart. And there right next to him, a thing of beauty, the prettiest girl I've ever seen, all in white and, by golly, I swear, almost shining. So I make for him, to tie him up and drag him away. But the girl raises her hand and says something to me. I was never good with French. She leans down and kisses the nasty bugger, full on the lips! I was so shocked I just stood there dumbfounded. The man opened his eyes, mumbled merci and slowly, ever so slowly started to crumble into ash. Can you believe that? He was just a pile of rubbish in less than a minute. I didn't know what to do. I was supposed to bring him back. I started making my way back, all dumbfounded. Funny thing is, I fell into a ditch and broke my leg. By the time someone found me it was beyond repair. So you see I'm not really a war hero, but I didn't have to explain about the kiss of death either. How's that for a creepy story?
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Dan Marrison

Dan lifts his hand and shakes his head as he says, "Wait ... wait a minute. So you're saying this girl in white planted a big sloppy kiss on this butcher, and he disentegrated? Pardon me for asking, but are you so sure you weren't just delirious?"

ooc: I'd like to make a roll on my psychology skill to see if I can gauge the level of this man's sanity in order to better accept or dismiss his story.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Pearl Wealstone

At the appropriate points in the story, Pearl gasps and covers her mouth with the back of her hand. "Oh my How terrible, how utterly terrible!!"

With an imperious flick of her head Pearl covers her mouth with her hand and coughs;

"I wouldn't be so sure of that Mr. Marrison - there are many things that cannot be explained these days, and there always has been. If you look at people from say 100 years ago they wouldn't be able to explain much we take for granted today. It would be impolite for me to call you ... Dan was it? Though maybe if we were to know each other for more than a few moments ... "

Pearl looks away coquettishly, yet with a certain degree of mischief in her eyes

OOC - would I make/request an occult roll here to see if I have heard of any similar tales before?
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Dan, psychology: 56
ImpInTraining,The guy seems relatively sane. He actually believes he saw all of this happen.
Pearl, occult: 96
Cearlan,The story vaguely reminds you of one with a princess and a prince that was a frog. When she kissed him, he became pretty again. But that's children stories. Or is it?..
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Dan Marrison

"Eh, suit yourself. A lot of dames have called me worse," Dan says with a smirk to Pearl. He couldn't tell if the vet was recalling facts, or what he just believed to be facts... but it was entertaining at any rate.

"Alright, alright," Dan said waving his hands, "Let's say for argument's sake that this really happened..." and he shot a glance at Pearl as he interjected, "... which we all know it's pretty impossible..." then looked back toward the story teller, "... wouldn't the guy have left behind some dog tags or rank and insignia or something? Or did all of his belongings crumble up too?"
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Michael Firdsbee

You know, I wasn't really thinking clearly at the time. I was too shocked to do the normal investigations I'd have done. I sort of just ran away. Trust me, you'd have done the same. He twitches in his seat. All these accusations seem to be making him uncomfortable. He rubs his stump of a leg.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Pearl Wealstone

"Although I follow the spitiualistic path and although I have not heard anything like this before .... it does not mean it does not happen." Pearl furrows her brow in concentration, but cannot recall anything even remotely similar to the tale she just heard.

"Mr. Firdsbee, from your tale, and I am not saying you are wrong or right here, it strikes me that the man seemed almost relieved, at peace if you will after the ..." Pearl colours here, "... after that kiss, is that what you meant to convey to us? And the shocking nature of the kiss, ... oh my ... let me collect myself a moment, hmm yes, the shocking nature of the kiss seemed wildly out of sorts coming from a young girl."
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Michael Firdsbee

It seems like he went there specifically for this: to be annihilated into dust. He must have known what he was receiving. Ah... He sighs and takes a deep breath, clearly calming down.

This is a strange world we live in. For instance my landlord keeps telling me about this haunted house that he bought. He wants me to go there and investigate, but I'm not fit for field trips. He keeps whining "Why did I buy it? It was just a waste of money." I wish he'd stop. I've enough weird tales to tell as it is.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Dan Marrison

Dan nodded, "For a fee, I could investigate it. Don't much buy into all this ghost talk anyway. My mother used to say she saw them, but I ain't never experienced anything unusual... few cold drafts, some strange noises, a shadow out of the corner of my eye ... but nothing like a physical manifestation right before my eyes - nor people crumbling from a kiss." He folded his arms and leaned back in his chair.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Mike Peterson

"Ghost house you say... Did your friend mention that he actually seen a ghost?"
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Michael Firdsbee

I'm afraid I'm not in on the details. I can give you the address and you can talk to him if you like. I'm sure he'd pay you though.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Will Crigler

With some uncertainty where it may lead him Will said "I'm not much of a believer with ghost stories... but maybe at least that house will be interesting sight." Picking small black notebook from breast pocket of his beige jacket he adds "So how can we contact that friend of yours?"
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Pearl Wealstone

Pearl purses her lips and looks thoughtfully down at the floor.

"Well if you would care to give us the deatails, if there is a trapped spirit in your friends house then I feel we should go and see if we could help it, seeing as your friend may well be willing to pay us too. Assuming you three Gentlemen are up for it that is. Where does your friend live?"

Return to “The Haunting (Redux)”