IC Arkham Horror

The fabric between dimensions is weakening, and portals to other worlds begin opening all over Arkham, unleashing strange creatures into the city. A band of crazed cultists attempts to summon Yog-Sothoth, putting all of humanity in danger. Psychic author Gloria Goldberg, renowned archaeologist Monterey Jack, and powerful magician Dexter Drake are all that stand in the way of total destruction of all we hold dear. Can they succeed in their desparate race against time?

Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC Arkham Horror

Post by Mr. Handy »

Dexter Drake Arkham Encounter - Turn 2
OOC,"Care to join the order?" Carl Sanford and several of his henchman ask... [b]Dexter[/b] decides to join the Silver Twilight Lodge. He spends $3 and gains a Silver Twilight Membership.

As soon as Dexter enters the lavishly decorated lobby of the lodge, he is met by a tall, grim-looking man and several muscular men surrounding him, all of them wearing black robes. The tall man approaches Dexter with a smile on his face. "Greetings," he says. "I am Carl Sanford, leader of the Silver Twilight Lodge. And you, I can tell by your aura that you are a seeker of arcane knowledge. You have much talent...Dexter Drake."

"My reputation precedes me," says Dexter. "Yes, I am a magician of some renown, and I do come seeking knowledge of things magickal, of gates, and of Yog-Sothoth."

"All this knowledge and more would be available to you...if you were to become one of us. We share your interests, Mr. Drake. Care to join the Order? I do not extend this offer to everyone, only to those worthy of membership."

Dexter doesn't hesitate. Though he doesn't trust Sanford for a second, he knows that joining this group may be the best way to get the information he seeks. "Thank you. I gratefully accept."

"There is the small matter of lodge dues. Three dollars, paid regularly. Your first payment is due upon joining."

"Of course." Dexter reaches into his pocket and withdraws three silver dollars, then hands them over.

"Welcome to the Order of the Silver Twilight."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

Gloria Goldberg Encounter - Turn 2
Great Hall of Celeano
OOC,A glimpse of home gives you hope. Gain 1 Sanity.
In the shadow of the Science Building she sees a curious heat haze, it shimmers like blazing sun on a hot tin roof. Gloria steps into the gate, immediately she finds herself in a cloud wracked world with a towering, pyramidal structure ahead. The clouds briefly part and Gloria glimpses an image of Arkham; she will soon be home again.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

Mythos card

The story continues...
Shuffle the mythos deck, being sure to include this card in it. After the deck is shuffleed, drama new mythos for the turn.

Big Storm sweeps arhkam!
All monsters in the sky and Oustise are returned to the Cup.
Clue appears at:
The Unnamable
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Finishing up Turn 2's Mythos Phase: A doom token is added, raising the total to 3. Another gate to the Great Hall of Celeano opens in Independence Square (the Clue Token there is removed from the board). A Ghost emerges there. A Clue Token is added to The Unnamable. No monsters move. The Ghost's moon symbol matches, but it is a stationary monster.
Dexter Drake Upkeep - Turn 3
OOC,[b]Dexter[/b] increases Speed from 3 to 4 and decreases Sneak from 3 to 2 [b]Dexter[/b] plans to go to the Unnamable.

"If you want to learn more about the gates," says Carl Sanford, "I recommend you visit a house in the Merchant District known only as The Unnamable. Strange things are said to happen there, and the fabric between worlds is weak in that place." He gives Dexter directions to get there.

Dexter nods. "Thank you," he says. "I shall check it out the first chance I get."

"Good luck, Mr. Drake. Feel free to return any time you need further guidance."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Gloria Goldberg Upkeep -Turn 3
OOC,Speed < 2 to 2 Sneak > 2 to 2
In the distance Gloria spies another exit from Celeano.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC,Speed-4<3,Sneak-0>1,Fight-4<3,Will-1>2
Monterey decide to stay in the house and investigate a bit more. Suddenly he heard a sound...
Last edited by kabukiman on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Dexter Drake Movement - Turn 3
OOC,[b]Dexter[/b] spends 4 movement points moving to The Unnamable. He collects 2 Clue Tokens there, bringing his total to 5. [b]Gloria[/b] will move to the second area in the Great Hall of Celeano in her movement, and [b]Monterey[/b] doesn't move; he only stands back up. I'll go ahead and process my encounter phase too: "Pass a Luck (-1) check to find a hidden cache concealed in the wall of an upstairs bedroom. Draw 1 Unique Item." [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2010831/]Luck (-1) check in The Unnamable (2d6.hits(5)=1)[/url] [b]Dexter[/b] succeeds at his Luck (-1) check. He finds Cultes Des Goules.

Dexter leaves the Silver Twilight Lodge and walks through the streets of Arkham. Eventually he reaches the Merchant District, and it doesn't take him long to find the house that Carl Sanford told him about. The building is derelict, and though he gets an odd sensation about it, he doesn't see anything out of the ordinary yet. "Doesn't look so bad," he says. Still, his hairs stand up as he approaches the front door and tries it. It is unlocked, so he goes inside.

Dexter Drake Arkham Encounter - Turn 3
Dexter searches the house systematically. It appears completely abandoned, and he doesn't find anything of interest on the ground floor. When he goes upstairs and begins searching the bedrooms, though, he hits the jackpot. One of the walls in the master bedroom has a section that doesn't quite fit the rest of the wall. When he taps on it, he hears an empty, hollow sound. After looking around some more, he discovers that twisting one of the bedknobs causes a secret compartment in the wall to slide open. Inside he finds an ancient, dusty book. He carefully removes it and wipes the dust off so that he can read the title: "Cultes Des Goules." He opens the cover and sees that the text is in French, but he knows the language well from his service in France in the Great War. Flipping through it, he sees references to Yog-Sothoth, as well as other, unfamiliar names. "This is what I'm looking for!" he says. He tucks his prize under his arm and heads downstairs, preferring to study it somewhere less spooky.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Gloria Goldberg Movement & Encounter - Turn 3
OOC,2nd area of Celeano. Pass a Luck (-1) check to discover a vital document. Gain 2 Clue Tokens. Rolling dice: Luck 3-1=2, result 4 6.
Amongst the rubble in the Great Hall Gloria discovers a discarded scroll, it contains vital information about Yog-Sothoth.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Monterey Movement turn 3
OOC,Delayed
Jack decide to investigate the sound. "This is only my imagination, there is nothing to be afraid", said Monterey to himlself, trying to not get in panic.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Monterey Jack Encounter turn 3
OOC,You feel the house actually breathe....Lose 1 Sanity
The sound come from upstairs; it was a voice calling a name. When he arrived at the end of the stairs he heard the name: Monterey Jack... The sound come from everywhere, the floor, the walls, the ceiling. Jack started to scream and runned from the house who was still telling him: "Come back Jack, join us"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Ouch! Now that you're down to 1 Sanity, you really need to get to the asylum. It'll cost $2 to get back up to maximum now, but it's worth it. Unfortuantely, it'll take 2 turns to get there even with Speed at maximum. You should stop somewhere safe along the way - perhaps Velma's Diner; I think there's at least one encounter that can give you back Sanity, but maybe that's in an expansion. Actually, now that I've drawn my Mythos card it doesn't matter. You can only get Sanity back at the asylum now.
Mythos Phase - Turn 3,[b]Dreams of a Sunken City[/b] Environment (Mystic): Investigators cannot gain Sanity except by receiving psychiatric care at Arkham Asylum (or from Carolyn Fern). Gate: Independence Square = Monster Surge (3): Cultist at Independence Square, Dark Young at Science Building, Cultist at Woods (D'oh!) Clue appears at: The Unnamable (automatically picked up by [b]Dexter Drake[/b]) Monster movement: Cultist at Independence Square moves Downtown, Ghost does not move (stationary monster), Cultist at Woods moves to Uptown Sorry about that awful draw! I want to go to Independence Square next turn, but I'd have to use Mists of Releh to bypass the Cultist, or I'll be stuck fighting in the street and won't get to the gate. This means increasing my Lore to maximum and hoping I'm lucky. Or Monterey could increase Speed to 4, move to the Downtown streets, and kill the Cultist there, since he goes before I do. I think I can take the Ghost if I have to, but it may cost me too much Sanity. I can't face the Dark Young instead, as Gloria goes before I do during the Arkham Encounters phase. She'll (hopefully) seal the gate before I can get sucked through. Alternatively, she can go back to Independence Square and I can kill the Dark Young before going through the Science Building's gate.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Gloria Goldberg Upkeep - Turn 4
OOC,Return to the Science Building from Celeano. Lore (3) > 1 to 4, Luck (3) < 1 to 2 Fight (1) > 1 to 2, Will (4) < 1 to 3
Gloria senses a monstous thunder of hooves, something despicable awaits her at the Science Building.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Monterey Jack Upkeep - Turn 4
OOC,speed 3>4, sneak 1<0; fight 3<2, will 2>3
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Dexter Drake Upkeep- Turn 4
OOC,[b]Dexter[/b] increases his Fight from 1 to 3 and decreases his Will from 3 to 1. I'm going to go to Independence Square to fight the Ghost and go through the gate there, but I'll need Monterey Jack to kill the Cultist in the Downtown streets first so I can get through. This should be no problem for him, since he can fight well and has a .38 and a whip. I probably would fail the Horror check anyway even with 3 Will, but I need to raise my Fight skill to have a good chance of beating it with Wither. I'm going to lose 2 Sanity, so I can't cast Shrivelling (I need to save one for Find Gate later). If I make it back, I plan to go to the asylum after sealing the gate.

As Dexter leaves the house, he senses something in the air. He focuses on the energies floating around, and his newfound ability to find and recognize gates to other worlds tells him that there is one such gate at Independence Square.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Gloria Goldberg Movement - Turn 4
Celeano - Science Building
OOC,The Dark Young's toughness is too great, so Gloria will wait until next turn to fight it.
The way to Arkham is open, Gloria slips back to our world.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Monterey Jack Movement - Turn 4
OOC,Jack moves to downtown to fight the cultist
Monterey after leaving the cursed housed, continued to run in the city. It was still night, and the city was desert. When he finnaly stoped, he thought it was better to go to Asylum. But suddenly, in Downtown, he saw a familiar figure...
-You! You killed my father- he said to the robed figure.
-Really? I don't remember. I have killed so many people, you cannot expect that I keep the record- he said with sarcasm
- But it doesn't matter, the stars are right, the number of killings is done, and all I need is some small details of the ritual to open the gate to the master.
-Master?-asked confused Monterey
-Yes, Yog-Sothoth! The master of time! He will give me power behind my wildest dreams! The walls of our reality are shaken, and some monsters are awakening from their slumber. And others like me are working for return of the Great Old Ones. But I will be the first!
Monterey thought that the place of that man was in the asylum. He was mad. But he remembered his crimes. And all he had saw this night.
-Now, you will have the privilege of being my first sacrifice for my Master as soon as he will be walking in the earth- the cultist said taking a dagger; Monterey immediatly shot him.
OOC,Fight(2)+.38revolver(3)+Bullwhip(1)+combat rating of cultist(1)=4,4,6,1,5,5,1 Dead cultist and 1 Monster Trophy
The cultist died with several shots in the heart. Monterey decide to leave the place to avoid explanations to the police.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Dexter Drake Movment - Turn 4
OOC,Well done! Reminds me a little of the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indiana Jones is confronted by a sword-wielding goon, and he pulls out his gun and shoots him (the script originally called for him to disarm him with his whip, but Harrison Ford improvised during one take by using the gun and Spielberg decided to keep it). Cultists have a combat rating of -1 instead of +1 because of Yog-Sothoth, but you still got him. The Ghost was tough for me; it would have been better for Gloria to take it on while I went after the Dark Young, but it's too late now. [b]Dexter[/b] automatically fails the Horror check and loses 2 Sanity. [b]Dexter[/b] attempts to cast Wither and fails, exhausting the Spell: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2016696/]Lore (+0) roll casting Wither (3d6.hits(5)=0)[/url] [b]Dexter[/b] attempts to cast Shrivelling and fails, exhausting the Spell and spending 1 Sanity: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2016699/]Lore (-1) check casting Shrivelling (2d6.hits(5)=0)[/url] [b]Dexter[/b] spends a Clue Token to add a die to the previous roll, and fails: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2016700/]Spending a Clue Token to add a die to the Lore check for casting Shrivelling (1d6.hits(5)=0)[/url] [b]Dexter[/b] spends a second Clue Token, and fails: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2016706/]Spending a second Clue Token to add to the previous Lore roll (1d6.hits(5)=0)[/url] [b]Dexter[/b] spends a third Clue Token, and fails: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2016707/]Spending a third Clue Token to add to the previous Lore roll (1d6.hits(5)=0)[/url] [b]Dexter[/b] spends a fourth Clue Token, and fails: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2016708/]Spending a fourth Clue Token to add to the previous Lore roll (1d6.hits(5)=0)[/url] [b]Dexter[/b] spends a fifth Clue Token, and (finally!) succeeds: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2016711/]Spending a fifth Clue Token to add to the previous Lore roll (1d6.hits(5)=1)[/url] [b]Dexter[/b] defeats the Ghost in the first round and claims it as a trophy: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2016712/]Combat check (3 Fight + 6 (Shrivelling) - 3 (Ghost's Combat rating = 6 dice) fighting the Ghost, round 1 (6d6.hits(5)=2)[/url] Sorry about that, but I had too big a run of bad luck. If Wither had worked I'd have been fine. I had to go to Shrivelling and burn my next-to-last Sanity point, so I can't cast Find Gate, and I burned five Clue Tokens just to beat the stupid Ghost, so I won't be able to seal the gate even if I manage to survive. Tabs, after you try to close and seal the gate on your Arkham Encounter phase, you can draw my Gate card for my Other Worlds encounter at Celeano.

Dexter makes his way through the streets of Arkham until he reaches the downtown area. Up ahead is Independence Square. His feeling of trepidation increases, and he knows he is getting close. He could see the shimmering hole in the air in the middle of the square. The place is deserted, and he could soon see why. A translucent ghost is flying around the open portal, from which it had evidently emerged, moaning and wailing. Then it sees Dexter and swoops after him. The sight itself is enough to unnerve him. He tries to summon all of the arcane energies at his command, knowing that his knife would be useless. All of his careful study of magick is required in order for him to channel the power. He points his hand at the spectre, and a mystic beam strikes it, causing the spirit to disperse into nothingness. With the guardian out of the way, he approaches the gate.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Gloria Goldberg Encounter - Turn 4
Science Building
To close Celeano,Lore (4) +1 Skill, -1 gate modifier, two successes required; 4d6 result: 2 6 6 6. Gloria also seals the gate using 5 Clue Tokens. **I am in a rush this Good Friday morning, I shall edit the post later and add a story. My daughter rolled the dice for that fantastic result BTW.**
Ignoring the beast which is rampaging outside the Science Building, tearing at and up-rooting trees, Gloria instead focuses on the gate that she has just stepped out of. All her learning at her command, the gate, with an odd zip noise, contracts to a pin hole and then disappears. "Hey!" she shouts in pleasure. Immediately she expends her Mythos knowledge and seals the gate.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Monterey Jack Encounter - Turn 4

Jack was still recovering from his ordeal.
-Need to get calm, need to get calm- he mumbered for himself.

OOC,That was bad luck Mr Handy! You really beat me! Well, at least Tabs is going very well. I didn't knew that point about the cultist/yogh-sothoth, but since the dices were cast in order, all we would have to do was to eliminate the last dice cast. I know that I don't have a encounter, but I have put it just for the flavour text. And I love that scene from Indiana
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Dexter Drake Arkham Encounter - Turn 4
OOC,[b]Dexter[/b] gets 2 successes on his Luck check (woot!) and gains 2 Clue Tokens. He now has 3 in total. Sure glad I didn't increase my Lore yet! [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2017709/]Luck (-1) roll to get Clue Tokens in Other World encounter (2d6.hits(5)=2)[/url] For the Mythos card, I drew Southside Strangler Suspected! Do you want to process it, Tabs, or should I?

Dexter strides boldly up to the gate, intent on closing it down using the knowledge he gained from reading Nameless Cults and his other investigations. Though his mind is near the breaking point, he is determined to see this through. Just as he is about to intone the words of power, a fierce wind picks up and he loses his footing. He is blown screaming straight into the gate!

Dexter Drake Other World Encounter - Turn 4
Dexter finds himself in a tremendous hall filled with bookshelves lined with books and scrolls of all shapes, sizes, and colors. Though he knows he is in an alien world, he would recognize a library anywhere. Curious, he begins to peruse the shelves and soon hits the jackpot! He finds multiple documents that refer to Yog-Sothoth and gates like the one that brought him to this place. Apparently, the more gates that open, the more power Yog-Sothoth will gain. Once enough gateways have been formed, the fabric between worlds will be weak enough that Yog-Sothoth can enter our world! The information in the papers will no doubt help him on his quest to close the gates and keep Yog-Sothoth from reaching Earth.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 1 - The Rise of Yog-Sothoth”