Page 1 of 1

OOC Discussion & Chat

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:22 pm
by Tabs
Hey! It's fun doing this. :D

About this game, it will be the base set only, except:
Choice of any official investigator - there will be an Investigator thread to note their status.
Madness/Injury Cards (from Dunwich) - any player who does not have them can ask me to draw one.

The Ancient One will be drawn at random.

We shall start with our investigators, see the Investigator thread.

Re: OOC Discussion & Chat

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:23 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Just wanted to drop in and wish you good luck in Arkham!
/Dave

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:01 pm
by Tabs
The picture for Gloria Goldberg came from here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/thi ... te=alltime

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:01 pm
by kabukiman
I have only read the first 4 pages. So we can choose our investigator? And who will be the GOO?

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:02 pm
by Tabs
No problem kabukiman, we will play one step at a time and we can give you Monterey Jack's options - I am sure you will pick up the rules after a few turns.
Speed & Sneak / Fight & Will / Lore & Luck, are grouped together, so if you want Monterey to have a Speed 3 (blue), his corresponding Sneak is 1 (red) - decide now, Monterey's Focus can change these during the Upkeep Phase.

BTW do not forget Monterey's Random Possessions, 2 Unique Items and 1 Skill - shuffle those decks, take the cards and note them under your Investigator Sheet.

....And the Ancient One, I will randomly choose it tomorrow.

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:31 pm
by TakeSolo
Hey, how are you guys doing this? I played an online game over at FFG forums that lasted a while. The GM running the game set up a plot seed that would get everyone started as to the "story". Everyone's turn consisted of a narrative that explained what their character was doing, each player created their own story arc within the greater plot. It was pretty awesome. Some people wrote a LOT and others just a small paragraph but it was great to see each person's story unveil itself slowly as the game went on and see characters cross each other. Are you guys doing something similar or just basic turns and movement info etc? Just wanted to say hi and see what you guys were up to!

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:43 am
by Mr. Handy
Hi! You'd be welcome to join us. The game is best with four players, I've heard. I think we are planning on having an IC thread where we can narrate our characters' actions and encounters as part of a story.

In order to preserve the decks' integrity with multiple people drawing, we should maintain lists of which cards have already been drawn. That way we can remove the cards from our own appropriate decks and shuffle the remaining cards before we draw. For instance, you've already drawn a Food and a .45 automatic from the Common Items deck, a Wither and a Flesh Ward from the Spells deck, and a Lore card from the Skills deck, so we should remove these cards from our own decks before drawing, in order to avoid conflicts. Really, drawing possessions is skipping ahead in the setup, but we can go ahead and do it if it doesn't affect anything. I won't have time to separate out my game components until at least Wednesday, and possibly not until Friday, but Tabs, you can draw for me in the meantime if you need to and you've reached that point in the setup (Step 9).

Also, we don't have to decide yet where to place our sliders. That's in Step 10. It may be more beneficial to wait and see how the rest of setup goes up to that point before making those decisions.

I'll be playing Dexter Drake, the Magician. Keep in mind that his special ability as well as Monterey Jack's apply during setup. We draw 3 cards from the relevant deck and then choose which 2 to keep.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:58 am
by Tabs
TakeSolo
It will be fun to roleplay Arkham Horror and to add a story, but at first I just wanted to get the game up and running so I have not thought about a story; I will check out the threads at FFG. Also, if you are interested in joining, then please do.

Mr. Handy
I knew you would be a rules junkie :) . I must confess to a sloppy approach - whatever feels correct I do, although I try to be consistent. It must be a couple of years since I read the Rulebook. I agree with you regarding Items, Spells and Skills; remove these if another Investigator has already drawn them.
Edit: I have just been reading the Rulebook and it explicitly confirms what you say Mr. Handy, so :oops: , I will make sure I follow it, so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

The Ancient One will be Yoggy, I have started a thread for it & Mythos Card. I thought I would copy the card drawn by the 1st player in the IC Arkham Horror thread to the Yog-Sothoth & Mythos Card thread, because an Environment Mythos Card can remain in play for several turns, which will effect our checks.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:21 am
by Mr. Handy
We can add an IC thread to narrate our actions and encounters once the game proper starts, but we're still in setup. I do like to follow the rules as well as I can. If I don't, it doesn't really feel like a victory when I win. There have actually been four Common Items drawn: Monterey Jack has fixed possessions of a Bull Whip and a .38 Revolver, so these need to be removed from the deck as well before anyone else draws. Monterey Jack also starts with 1 Clue Token, not 2. I'm glad you guys have guns. I hope I get one too (or at least an Axe), as it won't be easy going up against Yoggie and his cultists with Dexter Drake. Trying to use magic on them is like trying to drown a Deep One.

We seem to have skipped Step 3, choosing the first player and establishing the turn order. For simplicity's sake, we can just make the order the same one in which we posted our investigators. That would make Tabs the initial first player, kabukiman second, and me third. TakeSolo, you'd be fourth if you join. I'll draw my initial cards on Wednesday night if I have a chance, but kabukiman and I should wait until TakeSolo's investigator (if any) is known, as he or she may have fixed possessions that are dealt out first before the decks are shuffled.

Not only do Environment cards remain in play, but so do those nasty Rumors as well as certain Headlines.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:44 am
by Tabs
The turn order sounds good to me. As the first player I shall draw the Mythos Card (Game Setup 14.) and post Phase I: Upkeep - I will do it sometime Friday.

I want Gloria Goldberg to close or seal as many gates as she can and possibly avoid combat, maybe she could trade her .45 Automatic with Dexter Drake? ...We will see how things pan out.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:58 pm
by kabukiman
Maybe we should make our characters complementary? I making my character strong to fight, so he can be the "sturmtruper" of the group;a nother one could be the "intelectual" of the group (I'm still in page 12).

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:13 pm
by Tabs
How about:
Monterey Jack - Physical Monsters
Dexter Drake - Magical Monsters
Gloria Goldberg - Other Worlds. With Yog-Sothoth as the Ancient One anyone Lost In Time and Space is Devoured, so a Sneak bonus would be useful...

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:32 am
by Mr. Handy
While our characters can specialize, we all may need to do some things. Gloria may not want to be in combat, but sometimes it can't be avoided - and when it can't, you'll be glad you're armed. Maybe she can give Dexter her gun if they cross paths and he doesn't have one of his own at that point, but we can wait to make that decision. Gloria should definitely go to other worlds and close and seal gates, but she can't be the only one doing it - we all need to! Gloria's special ability makes it easier for her to survive trips to Other Worlds, and her Lore will help her shut those gates (which is now harder, as 2 successes are now required normally instead of 1). However, we're all going to need to accumulate at least one gate trophy (and save it, not spend it). If Yog-Sothoth awakens, we'll need those gate trophies (especially Monty and Dexter, who have the lowest Will), and the only way to stop him from awakening is to shut the gates down.

TakeSolo hasn't posted an investigator yet, so we still don't know which fixed possessions to remove from the decks before dealing out the random ones. It's also possible that TakeSolo won't join us. I'll wait until tomorrow night to draw my random items, and kabukiman could do it during the day on Thursday, perhaps. The turn order is good in another way - it moves from east to west, thus ensuring we can usually cycle through one phase per day in the proper order.

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:30 am
by kabukiman
I'm in page 20. Escaping monster is much better than figting them! Well, but I guess we still need one player to make that dirty work. I will post my draw itens this night.

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:58 am
by Tabs
Depends on the monster, some are easy to beat, but some are haaaard! Lets hope no Rumor Mythos Card is drawn - these cards can be really tough to deal with.

After I have posted in the IC Arkham Horror thread - Gloria Goldberg Upkeep - it will be kabukiman's go, therefore - Monterey Jack Upkeep.

See you at the asylum.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy
I went ahead and drew my Common Item: it's a Knife. Well, it's better than nothing. At least now I'll have a better chance against cultists. I also drew my Spells. The three cards were Wither, Mists of Releh, and Mists of Releh. I discarded one of the Mists of Releh cards and kept the other two, which are nice ones (and they don't cost Sanity!). Note that a Mists of Releh card is now at the bottom of the Spells deck; it should be set aside when reshuffling your own decks before you draw and then placed on the bottom. Some abilities and encounters allow you to take from the bottom of a deck, so it's important to keep track of this.

I'll wait a little before drawing from the Unique Item and Skill decks to give Kabukiman a chance to draw and post those draws first.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Kabukiman, I see you've drawn your cards, but what was the third Unique Item that you discarded? I need to remove it and place it at the bottom of my deck. If you forgot to draw a third Unique Item, please do so and choose one of the three to discard.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:34 am
by kabukiman
Already done (finally finished the rules). I draw a Warding statue and a sword of glory; both seem good to fight. As a skill I have Bravery (is it good?). I discarted silver key.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:41 am
by Mr. Handy
Bravery is good, as it'll allow you to reroll Horror checks and keep your precious Sanity (Monty only has 3 maximum). It's also very fitting for your character. Sword of Glory is a great one too, though it won't help against Yog-Sothoth or his cultists. Warding Statue is excellent, especially if you can save it for the final battle! I drew Nameless Cults, which is appropriate for Dexter (and he can use his special ability to draw an extra Spell and choose between two of them). I was hoping at least one of us would get an Elder Sign, but at least they're all still in the deck somewhere. I drew Luck for my skill. Nice!

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:46 am
by kabukiman
Just read your post now! Luckily, I had answer without knowing it. Where do I write the cards I discard? In the Investigador thread? Because the OOC isn't a oficial thread of the game.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:31 am
by Tabs
We can list discarded cards at the end of our Investigator Sheet. Okay, I shall start the game; any questions, comments, advice, do not hesitate to post them here.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:54 am
by kabukiman
Ok. I will post my upkeep at night (it was easy to organize the game, after all, I just open the box this week :D )

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:19 am
by Mr. Handy
Actually, we should have a separate post (or thread) to list drawn and discarded cards, and the order the cards are discarded for each deck.

I intend to leave my sliders alone, spend one movement point reading Nameless Cults, and then spend the other 3 going to the Historical Society and picking up the 2 Clue Tokens. I'll make an IC post once I finish setting up my board.

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:23 am
by Tabs
New thread for discarded cards is up.

kabukiman, Mr. Handy is right about the Easttown streets - although if the Mi-Go flies Monterey can gain a Unique Item, your call.

Lovely text Mr.Handy. Miriam Beecher: a famous name to Strange Eons enthusiasts, and the Historical Society ley line: how true.

Sword of Glory & Find Gate - excellent.

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:43 pm
by kabukiman
Nice post Mr Handy! But your putting the stakes high ;) .
It was my (bad) decision, so I will suffer the consequences. No other way to learn.

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:19 pm
by Mr. Handy
It's not too late, as you were only stating your intentions and it was still the Upkeep phase. Now it's the Movement phase, so you make whatever move you want. Since we're past Upkeep, you can no longer adjust your Speed slider, but you can still reach Independence Square, the Unvisited Isle, or The Unnamable with 3 movement points. I had thought of the Mi-Go swooping down on you, but it can't reach you in one move. Since it's in a location and nobody is adjacent to it, any movement will put it in the Sky. Even if it did come after you, you wouldn't be able to fight it until the following turn, thus spending a second turn.

Thanks for the compliments. Chances are my other posts won't be as long or as good, but I was inspired for that intro post. I've never seen Strange Aeons; I got the name from the Arkham Horror encounter cards in Ye Olde Magick Shoppe that mentioned her. I was also just guessing about the ley line, unless I unconsciously remembered something I'd read in another encounter card.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:27 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy, I always look for hidden or alternate meaning in words, with your mention of ley lines I thought you were being uber clever. Look at the game board, the Historical Society does have a line through it - the only location to have this.
I just realised your rolls for Nameless Cults were via Invisible Castle, which is fine, however I was simply going to roll the dice; as you know certain situations require lots of rolls and I felt that it would become a nuisance. What do you think?

kabukiman, you are doing fine, in fact better than my first try of the game. Do you think newbies to Arkham Horror will benefit from the pace of a pbp game?

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:25 pm
by kabukiman
Thanks! Well, remember that I can read the rules when I have some doubt and that's a great advantage (but I don't master the subleties).
About newbies: it depends of their previous experience in other game. I have played games awfully complicated (like advanced squad leader), so Arkham horror seems almost simple. And id demands patience, I don't know if newbies like to play a game for weeks.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:58 pm
by Mr. Handy
Arkham Horror requires patience even when playing it as a tabletop game. Play-by-post could be a good way to introduce newbies to the game and get them interested as well as used to the rules. For impatient types, it might help more if they read it after it's completed rather than play, as play-by-post is slow by its very nature.

Kabukiman, remember that it's your turn to have an Arkham Encounter at the Unvisited Isle. I've been waiting for you to post so I can have my encounter at the Historical Society. After that, Tabs (as the first player) can resolve the Mythos Phase and the first turn will be completed (unless one of us gets sucked through a gate). Then Kabukiman becomes first player and the second turn can begin with the Upkeep phase. I usually only have free time to post during the day on weekends. I'll be able to post for the rest of the day, but during the week I won't be able to post until the evening (Eastern U.S. time, so it's already night in Europe). However, the following week I'm off from work, so I'll be available to post during the day then and I'll have more free time.

I didn't notice any line through the Historical Society. I was just referring to the fact that it's an unstable location. Invisible Castle will actually be more convenient for making lots of rolls, especially when rolling more than 5 dice; it even counts your successes. If you want to roll real dice, that's fine.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:02 pm
by Tabs
I know ASL by reputation only, and it is a fearsome one. The heaviest board games I have played are those like Caylus, usually I play medium to light board games like Settlers or Ave Caesar - and, of course, Arkham Horror. The difficulty with AH are the number of rules and exceptions to them. Mr. Handy has already pointed out rules I have got slightly twisted; in my defence, though, as a solo player this has not been important :).

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:21 am
by kabukiman
Settlers is the most popular game here. I used to play only heavy games-ASL, The great battles of Caesar, etc. But now I don't have the time, neither my friends and the new players only play eurogames like Carcassone and Settlers.
Just made my turn.

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:34 am
by Mr. Handy
I've never played ASL either, but I have played crunchy wargames before and have a number of them (though I also have no time to play them). I tend to play a lot of eurogames like Settlers, Carcassonne, Caylus, and Power Grid at Philcon, the local convention that takes place every November. I was hoping to play Arkham Horror there, but nobody there wanted to play it. Those conventions are also where I bought my copies of Arkham Horror and its expansions.

Another great game I was just talking about on another board is Betrayal at House on the Hill, which I've played at Philcon too. Unfortunately, I found out that it's out of print and will never be reprinted. If I see it somewhere, I'll be sure to buy it.

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:12 am
by Tabs
Okay, it is now turn 2, Monterey Jack Upkeep.

Gloria wants to fight the Zombie and then enter the gate at the Science Building or pick up the 2 Clue Tokens at The Witch House.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Monterey only has 3 Clue Tokens, not 4, since he started with 1 instead of 2. He has a few choices where to go. It's risky going around with 2 Sanity, so you might want to visit the asylum and get it raised back to 3 instead of having an encounter - this won't even cost any money. If you go insane, you'll either lose half of your stuff or be forced to take a crippling Madness. If you go insane in an Other World, you'll be lost in time and space and Yog-Sothoth will devour you. You might also go to the Curiosity Shoppe and go shopping. You'd get to draw 4 cards instead of 3 and then purchase one of them. There's a good chance an Elder Sign would come up. Or you can visit some other location that has a clue token.

I advise Gloria to go to the Witch House first before going into a gate. At this point in the game, there's little point in closing a gate unless you can also seal it, and for that you need at least 5 clues. I intend to go to the Silver Twilight Lodge, but if neither of you two want to go to the Witch House I'll go there instead - somebody should pick up those clues before a gate opens there.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:59 am
by kabukiman
Already corrected, I saw the unique items unstead the clue tokens.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:01 am
by Tabs
The Zombie has not moved so Gloria can kill it at the end of her Movement and travel to Celeano in the Encounter Phase - both this turn; this is too tempting for Gloria.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:23 pm
by kabukiman
I will go to the witch house collect the clues. They are 2, correct?

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:44 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, there are 2 Clue Tokens in the Witch House, which will bring you to 5 in all. That's enough to try to seal a gate, provided you don't need to use any for other purposes. Travel to Other Worlds is risky, especially with only 2 Sanity, so you may want to visit the asylum before venturing through a gate. Gloria will only be able to close the gate, not seal it, unless she lucks out and picks up another two clues in Celeano. I'll head to the Silver Twilight Lodge and pick up the clue there.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:16 pm
by kabukiman
Yes, I will do that. So, with 5 clues and the full restored sanity, I should be able to survive any encounter (I hope!).

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:53 pm
by kabukiman
I have draw my card (i'm going to sleep now, because if I didn't do that, I will only be able tomorow night when I would return home, and it's not affecting the game), but I won't post until Tabs make his movement.
The witch house. You find a banquet laid out in the dining room...
I had 1 sucess, so in turn 3 I will stay at the witch house.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:04 am
by kabukiman
Congratulations! The Fortune smiles to the brave!

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:22 am
by Tabs
Phew, I had a vision of the combat turning out badly. One baddie down and out.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:14 pm
by kabukiman
Well, I was lucky too, in 4 dices only one sucess. If I had no sucess, I would been insane (by losing 3 sanity points).

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:13 am
by Tabs
kabukiman, are you happy to do the Mythos Phase, or shall I do it?

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:46 pm
by kabukiman
I will have only my board at night (after 11pm). So I guess you can draw it.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:48 pm
by Tabs
A hell of a reception awaits Gloria the turn after her return from Celeano, so that is turn 5; is someone prepared, at that time, to move to the Science Building, trade weapons and one of us take on the monsters? Gloria's .45 Automatic is +4. Is that idea okay Mr. Handy?

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:35 am
by Mr. Handy
High Tides is not in the base game's deck. I think you must have taken it from Kingsport Horror or another expansion. If that's the case, you should draw a fresh Mythos card and redo the phase (or let Kabukiman do it instead).

I'll also need to know which Gate cards you discarded (and the order in which you discarded them) so we can remove them from our decks before shuffling, unless you want to draw Gate cards for us from your own deck. The second card you drew with your special ability should be discarded, as should any cards that were neither green nor blue. We'll have to do this sort of thing for every Other World encounter.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:52 am
by kabukiman
Bad news guys (actually, goo news for me): I will be out this weekend, and I don't know if I will have acess to the net. But in my first 2 phases I cannot do anything (upkeep and move), just in the encounter.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:09 am
by Tabs
By Hastur! The King in Yellow has been playing with my Mythos Deck. I will delete my post.

kabukiman, if you get the chance draw the Mythos Card, if not I shall do it this weekend instead.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:19 am
by kabukiman
Just after 7 pm (when I arrive at home).

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy
Kabukiman, you do still get an upkeep phase. Being delayed (which is what happened to Monterey) means you don't do anything in your movement phase except stand back up. The Mythos Phase still needs a gate to be opened at Independence Square and a monster to be placed there (and then possibly moved).

Tabs, there are two blue Gate cards with Abyss, Yuggoth, and Other. Which one did you discard using your special ability?

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:02 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy. Other: The insanity of this place finally hits you. Lose 1 Sanity.
kabukiman said he would be away this weekend, shall we do the gate and monster?

Are you happy with going through your Mythos & Other World decks every time?

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:36 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks. I'll do the gate and monster, since I have to do the Upkeep phase first anyway in Turn 3. It's not that much trouble going through the decks each time a card is drawn. It does need to be placed on the bottom of the deck (after reshuffling the other cards) so it isn't drawn again. You two will need to remove them from your decks as well, unless you want me to draw all the cards for you. Early on we can easily remember which cards have come up, but later on there will probably be too many cards to remember. That's why I'm keeping track of all of them in my post in the discarded cards thread. Right now there is only one discarded Mythos card, as The Story Continues caused the deck to be reshuffled with the discards mixed in again.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:46 pm
by Tabs
Why don't we share responsibility, you Mythos and me Other World, to avoid the need to keep track? - It seems a nuisance to me. However we will carry on noting discarded Items and Spells.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:53 pm
by Mr. Handy
Okay, sounds good to me. I do the Mythos Phase in Turn 3 anyway. I'll draw your Gate cards when we reach the Other Worlds Encounters phase. Luckily I'm off from work all of next week, so I'll be online during the day.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:30 am
by kabukiman
This weekned was terrible. On sunday I was in a tournement of a war game; there was an accident in the highway and i arrived very late. Yesterday I had a problem in my backs, and I now I can hardly can write, so until I get better, I will post as low as possible.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:44 pm
by Tabs
Sounds awful.

You are Delayed at The Witch House anyway so you will miss the movement and encounter phases for this turn.

To make you feel happier I expect Man Utd to beat Porto on Tuesday evening :) .

Your Upkeep, it looks like you have used more than your Focus of 2: Speed/Sneak 3 + Fight/Will 1 which = 4.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:35 pm
by Mr. Handy
Kabukiman, I hope you feel better soon. Take your time recovering.

Being delayed only means you don't get any movement points. You still have an encounter. I think you probably meant that you're reducing Speed to 3 and increasing Sneak to 1.

Since everyone else's movement is predetermined, I'll do my movement and then my encounter at The Unnamable.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:26 pm
by Mr. Handy
Technically Monterey's encounter at the Witch House happens first. I'll wait for that to be processed before doing the Mythos phase.

It was really lucky Gloria found those clues! Now she has enough to actually seal the gate when she returns.

What Gate card did you discard using your special ability? Were there any Gate cards that you discarded because the color didn't match?

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:36 pm
by Tabs
It was either 1 Clue Token guaranteed or 2 Clue Tokens with the Luck check; it was a risk which I felt was worth the try. Now, can Gloria manage the two successes to close the gate, and without using a Clue? Also I am wondering if she should save her Clues and seal another location that is more likely to have a gate opening upon it?

I will do everyones' Gate Card, okay, and you everyones' Mythos Card.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:17 pm
by Mr. Handy
It's better to seal more gates sooner rather than later, especially considering how many turns it takes to have the opportunity. Each of us has 5 Clue Tokens, so if we're very lucky we can get three gates sealed quickly. This will give us space to breathe a little easier.

Remember that you can return to either the Science Building or Independence Square. The square has the Ghost on it, and while you don't have to encounter it on the turn you come back, I think you still have the option. It would be a tough fight even with the Wither spell, but Gloria does have higher Will than the rest of us. Neither location has a gate open all that frequently, but it might be better to shut the one on the Science Building because of its special ability. I wouldn't trade in gate trophies considering that Yoggie is the Ancient One, and there are probably better uses for monster trophies, but if we get desperate for clues it's nice to know it's there. Not a single Elder Sign has come up yet, but hopefully we'll be able to find at least one at some point. If you don't get two successes when you try to close the gate, it may be better to wait and try again next turn than to burn clues and prevent yourself from being able to seal it. Remember that you don't have to leave the location the following turn, and you retain your explored marker as long as you stay there.

Okay, you can draw all of the Gate cards, and I'll draw the Mythos cards.

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:03 am
by Tabs
There are so many possible options, it is easy to forget - I remembered in Gloria's post she could return to Independence Square but did not remember in my previous OOC post here. Gloria does not fancy fighting the Ghost so she will return to the Science Building.
Regarding fighting a monster on returning from other worlds I always played an investigator has a turn's grace in order to close/seal a gate, period. I have the Rulebook in front of me and it states, "...an investigator does not have to..."; so yes, the option is open.

kabukiman - it is your turn, encounter at The Witch House. And how is your back?

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:36 pm
by kabukiman
Hi guys! I'm better. Yesterday I couldn't even dress myself; after several hours in the hospital waiting, they examined me and concluded it just a problem with my muscles (they were afraid I had a problem with my lungs). Heavy medication and in a couple of days I should be fine. I can work thanks to the painkillers, but must be careful, so I will post slowly.
I will draw today my encounter card (couldn't do it yesterday, it was too painful to move).
About the upkeep: I corrected, but please confirm if I have done it. I simply forgot that the focus limited the amount of points I could change in the skills.
By the way, can I draw another clue? Or since I have already draw it once, I cannot do it again?

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:07 pm
by Tabs
kabukiman, it sounds like you are ill, take it easy; we need you to complete this game!!!!!!!!!!!!
Upkeep looks okay now, and you do not get another Clue Token.

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, and I'm glad you're doing better! After you draw your encounter in the Witch House, I'll carry out the Mythos phase, and then Turn 4 will begin with Tabs as the first player.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:57 am
by kabukiman
With so low sanity, I must be really careful. I can try to kill that cultist (I have weapons that alowed that). Should I increase the will?

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:51 am
by Tabs
Congratulations Mr. Handy, nice draw. :P

Gloria will return to the Science Building from Celeano, try to seal the gate this turn and fight the Dark Young next turn; fingers crossed. Edit: I forgot Gloria's Flesh Ward Spell, maybe she'll fight the DY on her return.

kabukiman, Cultists have Magical Immunity and a Combat rating of -1, but I reckon your .38 & Bull Whip should do the job; so yes, increase your Will. And you have the Bravery skill, (is that a re-roll of a Horror check?).

Turn 4 Player Order
Gloria Goldberg
Monterey Jack
Dexter Drake

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:37 pm
by Tabs
I have created a new thread 'Arkham Horror Board' and included the game status, gates, monsters etc. Any mistakes, please shout.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:52 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, Bravery allows rerolling of Horror checks. Cultists don't have a Horror rating, so Monterey doesn't need to worry about that this turn. His Fight skill plus his weapons give him a total of 5 dice, and he only needs one hit. He can also use the whip's special ability to reroll a die if they miss, effectively giving him 6.

Be careful about the Dark Young. Remember that it has Physical Resistance, so your .45 only gives you +2. Wither will help a lot, but even so, with 3 Toughness and only 6 dice it's anything but certain you'll win. You need to be sure that the gate gets sealed, as if you go unconscious you'll lose your explored marker, so I'd decline to encounter the DY this turn. Next turn you can raise your Fight and get an extra die and then have an encounter at the Science Building if you win the fight (or make a second attempt to seal the gate if the first one fails).

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Combat takes place during the Movement phase, so Monterey should go ahead and waste that cultist. That way the street will be clear when it's my turn to move.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:49 am
by kabukiman
I will do that this night.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:08 pm
by Tabs
Mr. Handy, your OW encounter:

Other
Pass a Luck (-1) check to discover a cache of ancient papers containing valuable information about the Mythos. Gain 1 Clue token for every success you rolled on your Luck check.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:14 pm
by Mr. Handy
Nice! I'll go process my Encounter phases, and then I'll draw the Mythos card.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:37 pm
by Tabs
That was a great post for your movement phase, kabukiman. The ending, 'Monterey immediately shot him.' is classic.

Mr. Handy, that is a hell of a set of poor dice results; my rolling has been phenomenal, my luck will change and now I fear for Gloria fighting the Dark Young.

Mythos Phase, would you do it, thanks.

Turn 5 Player Order
Monterey Jack
Dexter Drake
Gloria Goldberg

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:49 pm
by Mr. Handy
No problem. At least I got a turn of good luck with my Other World encounter. Still short by 2 Clue Tokens, but maybe I'll get something in my second encounter next turn. I'd settle for not going insane, though.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:06 pm
by kabukiman
Thanks! I thought it was really the time to make a special post. By the way, I have several persons in my house the next days, so I will be a bit more irregular (since I need to babysitt the persons).

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Before Monterey can go to the Asylum, he has to deal with the Mi-Go that's with him in the Downtown streets (either by evading or fighting it). If you successfully sneak past it, you won't face it at all and can make it to the Asylum, but if you fail it will do its combat damage to you before the fight starts. Once the fight starts, your movement for the turn will end in the Downtown streets. You'll need to make the Horror check to avoid going insane (and getting to the Asylum a different way); remember that you have the Bravery skill if you fail the roll, as it will allow you to reroll. You also have 5 Clue Tokens saved up in case you need them. If you win the combat, you'll actually get to draw 2 Unique Items and pick one to keep (discarding the other), and that Mi-Go will be removed from the game. I'm not sure what you mean about drawing an extra Clue Token; how would you get one?

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:28 am
by Tabs
kabukiman, I would fight the Mi-Go, you are bound to win and can gain a Unique Item, like Mr. Handy says.
Also there are only 3 Clue Tokens on the board at the moment that can be picked up: Hibb's Roadhouse, Black Cave and Historical Society.

I have listed everything, (monsters, gates, etc.) under the Arkham Board thread. Personally, I have packed away my board, it was getting in my way.

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:12 am
by kabukiman
I thought there was a clue to get in the asylum. Ok, I will fight the Mi-Go.

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:26 pm
by Mr. Handy
Good job beating that Dark Young! You also only lose 3 Sanity, not 4. Nightmarish 1 means you lose 1 Sanity if you succeed at your Horror check. If you fail (which you did), you just lose the normal 3.

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:40 pm
by Tabs
Oh, goody, I didn't realise.

Here is the gate card:
Celeano
You find secret lore hidden in the mosaics on the wall. Make a Lore (+2) check and gain Clue tokens equal to your successes.

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
Woohoo! That's the best possible outcome I could have hoped for. I just picked up another 4 Clue Tokens thanks to an extremely lucky roll, so I should have no trouble sealing that gate! 8-)

I'm saving the link to my roll here so I can post it into my IC thread later, but Gloria does go first in this case. She's still in Arkham and has an encounter at the Science Building. As much as she needs clues, I'd hold onto the gate trophy (you'll need all you can get later!) and you don't have quite enough monster trophies to cash in yet. Other World encounters always take place after Arkham encounters.

Lore (+2) roll in Celeano encounter to gain Clue Tokens (5d6.hits(5)=4)

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:38 pm
by Tabs
Mr. Handy, if you feel like it, action the Mythos Card.

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:16 pm
by kabukiman
The asylum is so close... and so far.

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:22 pm
by Mr. Handy
At least the Fire Vampire is easier to sneak past, and even if it stops you it can't cost you Sanity. It may burn you if you fail to evade it, but your sword can slaughter it easily enough. I'm hoping I can seal the gate this turn. That will return the Fire Vampire to the cup if you don't kill it, and it will also prevent new monsters from popping out of Independence Square.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:17 am
by Tabs
Turn 6 Player Order

Dexter Drake
Gloria Goldberg
Monterey Jack

Gloria intends to kill the Cultist this turn, move to Historical Society next and maybe clear out the Woods after that. :lol:

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy
It might have been better to grab the clues first. What if a gate opens on the Historical Society and we lose them? Too late now, though. With only 2 movement points, you can't make it there.

Monterey can try to evade the Fire Vampire and get to the asylum this turn, but if his Evade roll fails he'll get hit for two damage and be forced to stay and fight. If he chooses to fight and wins in the first round he won't get hurt, but he'll have to wait until next turn before he moves to the asylum (and there's another Mi-Go in the Sky that could swoop down). If I can shut the gate at Independence Square this turn, the Fire Vampire will go back to the cup.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you've left your Sneak at 0, so you'll have to fight the Fire Vampire.

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:02 am
by Tabs
Oh well. I was keen to collect the Monster Trophy anyway. Now, after the Historical Society, Gloria will be blessed at the church and then go to the Woods - that is her plan at the moment.

kabukiman, you have some pretty tasty magical weapons, after the asylum, maybe head for a gate with a nasty monster?

This game is a strange one. Turn 6 and only 2 gates! Unless catastrophe strikes we could gain victory over Yog-Sothoth.

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:18 am
by kabukiman
I was thinking to use the magical weapons, but I need to first get ti the asylum. But first, the fire vampire.

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy
Make that one gate! I wasn't expecting to recover all those clues and seal this gate so fast. We've sealed two and now only have four to go. Of course, the open gate goes to R'lyeh. I wouldn't set foot there with anything less than an Elder Sign, but I'm sure more gates will open before long. Next stop for me is the nut house. Since Monterey will be there at the same time next turn, we might want to trade stuff. He already has 5 Clue Tokens, which gives him the potential to seal a gate. I actually have 2 left over, so I'm well on my way to amassing enough to seal another one. With Find Gate, my trip will be shortened as well - as long as I save enough Sanity to use it next time! Since nobody else will have an encounter this turn, I'll go ahead with the Mythos phase. Gloria will be first player in Turn 7.

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:34 am
by kabukiman
Well, I just hope I can move this turn, so I can do anything else beside cleaning the streets of monsters.

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:22 am
by Tabs
Player Order - Turn 7
Gloria Goldberg
Monterey Jack
Dexter Drake

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:41 am
by Mr. Handy
Note that Gloria did not actually gain 1 Sanity from her encounter, since Dreams of a Sunken City is in effect. At least she avoided being Cursed!

Monterey could go to the Curiostie Shoppe in turn 8. His special ability means he'll get to draw 4 Unique Items and choose one to buy (discarding the other 3), which increases the odds of an Elder Sign coming up. It costs $5, so you can just afford it. Even if you don't find one, it'll help cycle through the deck faster. Instead, you could go to The Unnamable, fight the Zombie, and go through the gate. City of the Great Race isn't as hard as some Other Worlds, you already have 5 Clue Tokens (which is enough to seal the gate as long as you don't spend any), and closing that gate will also get rid of that annoying Cthonian. If you want more clues, Hibb's Roadhouse or the Black Cave each have one token. I'll head to Hibb's unless you want it, in which case I'll go for the Black Cave instead.

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:16 am
by kabukiman
Ithink I will try my luck with the gate.

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:31 pm
by Tabs
Poo, 1 Sanity deducted from Gloria.

kabukiman, your encounter for Turn 7 was 'spend $2 to regain max Sanity', so you do not get another at the asylum with Drake; sneaky of you! (Like Gloria claiming 1 Sanity.)

Player Order Turn 8
Monterey Jack
Dexter Drake
Gloria Goldberg

Mr. Handy, Monterey Jones, hey! Sounds like Dexter's sanity is still in question.

Turn 8- Gloria will be blessed at South Church.

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:40 am
by Mr. Handy
He didn't actually have another encounter at the asylum, but it is his Upkeep phase in Turn 8. We can feel free to talk to each other in the IC thread during the other phases. Fighting the zombie and going for the gate is a good idea. If we can get some more gates sealed quickly, we'll help ensure victory. If you want to give me the powder at the start of your Movement Phase, I'll accept it. I don't know what else I can offer in exchange. I have no money, you really don't want to read my book, you've got better weapons than my knife (and I really need it anyway), and I can use the spells better than you can, as my maximum Lore (and Sanity) is higher.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:12 am
by kabukiman
Sorry for not posting before, but I haven't receive my new computer yet (they are taking their sweet time in the store). I'm giving you the powder, Mr Handy, losing 1 sanity is too risky.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:14 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks! The actual handoff will happen at the start of the movement phase. If you like, I could lend you Find Gate since you're going to an Other World and it'll be a few turns before I'm ready, but considering the Sanity cost it would be very risky for you to use it.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:17 am
by kabukiman
No, the most important is to seal the gates. This is a cooperative game after all...

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
Monterey, you should go ahead and fight the zombie. Combat happens during the Movement Phase.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:08 am
by Tabs
kabukiman, I will draw the Gate Card for you for Monterey's Other World encounter, and post it here; this will be after Gloria's Arkham encounter.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:03 pm
by kabukiman
Ok.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:08 pm
by Tabs
Monterey Jack's OW encounter:

City of the Great Race
Sometimes, violence is the answer. Pass a Fight (-1) check to break free from your captors and return to Arkham.

kabukiman, Mr. Handy, can Monterey go ahead and close/seal the gate this turn?

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:20 pm
by Mr. Handy
Not this turn, as that is done during the Arkham Encounter phase, and we're already past that (with his Fight score where it is now, he'd be highly unlikely to get 2 successes anyway). However, if Monterey succeeds at the Fight check, he will return to Arkham and gain an explored marker. Then all he has to do is not leave The Unnamable during the Movement phase and then attempt to close the gate during the Arkham Encounter phase. However, his Fight score is currently set to 2, which gives him only a small chance to succeed unless he burns Clue Tokens, which would not leave him with enough to seal the gate (and we really need that gate sealed). Further, he would only have one Upkeep phase before his first attempt to seal it to increase his Fight, so he would raise it to at most 4. This will make it difficult to seal the gate, but if his first attempt fails he can choose to remain there the following turn and try again when his Fight is up to 5. If he fails this Fight check, he should raise his Fight to at least 3 next turn during his second Other World encounter, and then raise it to 5 on the turn he comes back to Arkham.

I recommend he just make the Fight (-1) check as is and hope for the best, and if it fails, don't spend any Clue Tokens.

Don't forget that Gloria automatically keeps the Blessing during next turn's Upkeep phase, so there's no need to roll for it this time.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:28 pm
by kabukiman
Sorry guys, failed my fight check. I will improve to 4 next time.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:13 am
by Mr. Handy
That's okay, it was only a 1 in 3 chance anyway, and you were lucky to get that card in the first place. You can raise your Fight to 3 in the coming turn if you like, since the following turn you can still raise it to 5. With your Sanity at 3, you might need that Will of 2 for your next encounter.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:13 pm
by Tabs
Player Order Turn 9
Dexter Drake
Gloria Goldberg
Monterey Jack

I will update the Mythos thread etc. tonight.

Mr. Handy, I suppose you can not Find Gate and whizz off because you are delayed?

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:21 am
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, that's what I said in the IC thread. Otherwise I would have raised my Lore now, but I may need Luck in an Other World encounter. It would be kind of cheesy to be able to instantly use Find Gate and not have any encounters in an Other World, and I'm sure that's not what the intention of the rule is. All I can do during the Movement Phase is stand up. Gloria's in Arkham, so her encounter is next. Then you'll need to draw my Gate card for my encounter in The Dreamlands, followed by Monterey's in the City of the Great Race.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:06 pm
by Tabs
Dexter Drake, OW encounter:
The Dreamlands
At the south gates of Thran, you are stopped by a red-robed sentry until you can tell three dreams beyond belief. Pass a Luck (-1) check to tour the golden spires of Thran, gaining 2 Clue tokens in the process. If you fail stay here next turn.

Monterey Jack, OW encounter:
Other
Wedged beneath a fallen stone is a scroll. Draw 1 Spell.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:15 pm
by kabukiman
That was a good draw. Let's see what spell I will have...

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:52 am
by Tabs
Player Order Turn 10
Gloria Goldberg
Monterey Jack
Dexter Drake

Mr. Handy, I have just updated the Arkham Board thread and count 7 monsters, so one should go to the outskirts. Do you agree, and which one?

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:48 pm
by Mr. Handy
You're right, I missed that! Since the Dhole was the last one I drew, it goes to the Outskirts instead. Lucky us! You can kill the Cultist if you like.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:43 pm
by Mr. Handy
Remember that Heat Wave is in effect and gives a -1 penalty to all Fight checks (including Combat checks). However, Gloria still has a hand free, so you can cast Wither (and Heat Wave gives +1 to Lore checks, including Spell checks) to get the extra dice you need. Otherwise, you'll get hit and have to fight another round.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:04 pm
by Tabs
Brain overload. However, Gloria is Blessed, so the 4 is a success!

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:16 pm
by Mr. Handy
Oh, yeah, that's right! Carry on, then. 8-)

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:23 pm
by Mr. Handy
Gloria couldn't have cast Wither anyway; Cultists have Magical Immunity. She won't have anything to encounter in the Easttown streets, so Monterey should go ahead with his encounter and try to close and seal the gate. Since Heat Wave gives +1 to Lore checks, that gives him 5 dice, but he needs 2 successes. If you don't get that many, I'd suggest saving your Clue Tokens and just trying again next turn (after fighting the Star Spawn). You have just enough to seal the gate, but only if you don't spend any. That's a locatinn where gates open fairly often, so we definitely need it sealed. I'll get 7 dice on my attempt, since The Dreamlands gives +1, as does Heat Wave, so I've got a very good chance (and 2 extra Clue Tokens, but I'd rather save them if I can). If we're lucky, we'll have sealed 4 gates out of 6 needed in 10 turns!

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:48 am
by kabukiman
Sorry guys, those days had been awfully busy. But at least I have close a gate.

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:20 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, and great job! Don't forget to spend your 5 Clue Tokens to seal that gate!

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:39 pm
by kabukiman
Thanks for the info!

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:23 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome! The Cthonian went back to the cup, but it (or another one) came back when the new gate opened. We've sealed 4 gates, and we only have to seal 2 more in order to win! Monterey is first in Turn 11, so go ahead and do Upkeep when you're ready. Heat Wave is no longer in effect, but Icy Conditions is the new Environment card. Remember that you'll have to either evade or fight the Star Spawn, so adjust your sliders accordingly. With its -3 Horror rating, you will lose the Horror check no matter what if you don't evade since you're out of Clue Tokens, so there's no point in raising your Will. You probably want to increase your Fight, unless you want to try to slip away. For that, you'll need to increase your Sneak by 2 and be very lucky. If you try to evade and fail, you'll get hit by the Star Spawn before making the Horror check and then fighting. If you fight, you should use your sword, and remember that the whip can still allow you to reroll a die even if it's not in your hand. Your movement will also end in The Unnamable in that case, but at least you'll be able to have an encounter there later. If you do escape, you'll only have one movement point, which will put you in the street.

I'm planning to head for Independence Square. If I get another 4 clues fast, I can seal another gate and we'll be very close to victory. Gloria might want to visit the Curiositie Shoppe. If she's lucky, she'll be able to buy an Elder Sign.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:44 am
by kabukiman
I think I will try to fight the monster, then as soon as possible I will go to the curiosity shop to try to buy (and maybe find the elder sign).

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:49 am
by Mr. Handy
You'll probably be better off going to the Asylum, unless Gloria happens to be going to the Curiositie Shoppe next turn instead of this one and is willing to give you $2. You're probably going to need $2 just to get your Sanity restored to maximum, though you can get 1 point back for free per turn at the Asylum. If you do buy an Elder Sign, you'll want to have more than 1 Sanity, or using it will drive you insane. Of course, if you do get an Elder Sign you can always give it to someone else instead of using it yourself.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:14 pm
by Tabs
kabukiman, you have to Fight or Evade the nice Star Spawn this movement (Turn 11).

Gloria was going to the Curiostie Shop, I think now she will try the Newspaper or Train Station. Maybe Gloria and Monty can meet next turn at the Curiostie Shop and she can give you $2?

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:03 am
by kabukiman
I killed the thing. Next time it's probably better to go to the asylum. With just one sanity point, I can't resist another encounter like this one.

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:28 am
by Mr. Handy
Good job! You actually had your Fight at 5, so you had an extra die, and the whip would also have given you a reroll of one die if you'd needed it. It would have been better to use the sword, as this monster didn't have Magical Resistance/Immunity. Now that you have 6 toughness worth of monster trophies, you can cash them in at various places. The River Docks' special ability will give you $5, for instance. But yes, you should get your Sanity restored first. It's a good idea for Gloria and Jack to both go to the Curiositie Shoppe in Turn 12. Gloria could use her Sanity restored too, but maybe she can make some extra money at the Newspaper Office.

I could trade stuff with Gloria as I walk past, but I don't know if there's really anything we should exchange at this point.

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:15 am
by Mr. Handy
Monterey still has to draw an encounter card at The Unnamable.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:01 am
by Tabs
kabukiman, Gloria will meet up with Monterey at the Asylum and give him the $2 he needs. She will try her luck with the encounters at the Asylum. I shall post in the IC thread later today.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:07 pm
by kabukiman
I have already my new computer! But now I need to installed everything. My games, office, everything... :cry:

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:51 am
by Tabs
kabukiman, would you give back to Gloria the $2? If so she will try the Blood Magic to gain Clues. BTW, it is Gloria to go first Turn 13, but no matter!

Mr. Handy, good job ridding us of the Rumor.

Edit
Rather than Blood Magic, Gloria can pick up the Clue at the Unnamable.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:28 pm
by kabukiman
Sorry about that! I will give you the 2$.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:16 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, Tabs! Now I may need some spells to replace the ones I lost. Monterey is more likely to be able to spare them, as he has the Sword of Glory (not to mention his gun and whip). I may also need some money to get my Sanity and/or Stamina back, though if I have no other choice I can sell a Gate trophy or take a loan from the Bank. By the way, Gloria already has $1, so Monterey really only needs to give her one more.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:31 pm
by kabukiman
So, since I don't have any chance to seal a gate, maybe it's better that I go to the same place with one of you to kill any monster and serve as bodyguard? And I can give the rest of the money to Drake?

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, that would help out a lot! You can move to French Hill, trade with me, and then fight the monsters in the Movement Phase. If you defeat them both, I'll be able to move away freely on my Movement Phase. I plan to sneak past the Cthonian and through the gate to Another Dimension. I'd fight it, but I need to hold onto my Sanity and my Clue tokens. Besides, we're in the endgame here. If we can seal two more gates fast, its presence won't matter. Maybe I'll be able to do something about it after coming back.

I need the Spells more than the money. If Monterey gives me Shrivelling and Wither, I'll be in decent shape. He should only give me $2 and hold on to the remaining $2 for himself. After these fights, he may need his Sanity restored yet again!

Actually, it's better that Monterey be the one to fight the Mi-Go, since he'll get to draw 2 Unique Items and choose which one to keep. Maybe he'll even get an Elder Sign! Just make sure the 5 Unique Items in my discarded cards list (as well as the ones we're holding) aren't mixed in with the deck when you draw.

EDIT: Actually, never mind. It's a very bad idea for Monterey to go to French Hill and fight the monsters, since his current Will score is 0. This means he'll automatically fail both Horror checks (unless he uses his Clue tokens, and even then he could still fail). That will cost him 3 Sanity, driving him insane. He should definitely go somewhere else. I'll fight the monsters.

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:10 pm
by Mr. Handy
Monterey will be pulled through the gate to the Plateau of Leng. I won't have an encounter since I'm in the middle of the street, so Tabs should go ahead and draw a Gate card for Monterey's Other World encounter. After that's processed, I'll do the Mythos Phase.

Now that Monterey left, he won't be able to trade with me. I can either take a chance on sneaking past the Cthonian and into Another Dimension with only 2 Sanity (hoping to save 1 for Find Gate), or I can play it safe and go to the River Docks, where I can sell a Gate trophy for $5 and pay to get my Sanity back. That'll take a few turns and could prolong the game, but I'd also have a couple of chances to read The King In Yellow and get some extra Clue tokens along the way. I'll make up my mind after the Mythos card is resolved.

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:12 am
by kabukiman
But before, should I draw an encounter card?

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:02 am
by Mr. Handy
No, you don't draw an encounter card at the Graveyard; you are pulled through the gate and into the Plateau of Leng instead. You'll have an Other World encounter, but Tabs needs to draw your card to ensure that an already drawn card isn't drawn. We don't know all of the cards that were taken from the Gate deck and discarded.

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:42 pm
by Tabs
Monterey's OW encounter.
Plateau of Leng
You wander the frozen wastes. No encounter.

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:03 pm
by Mr. Handy
Well, since there's no encounter, I'll go ahead and do the Mythos Phase now. Then it'll be your turn for Upkeep first.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:17 pm
by Tabs
Turn 14 Player Order:
Monty
Dexter
Gloria

We are almost there! Gloria wlll pick up the Clue at the Unnamable, then she will have 5 and be ready to jump through a gate.

Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:47 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy, Dexter has 9 Clues, old yoggy is dust!

kabukiman, Monterey is now at the Plateau of Leng 2nd area, and here is the OW encounter:
Other
You find a quiet spot to rest and recuperate. Gain 1 Stamina.

Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:48 pm
by Tabs
kabukiman, this site is okay for me. A new computer always causes a headache.

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:41 am
by Mr. Handy
I haven't had any problems either.

After I have my Arkham Encounter, it'll be Gloria's turn to have one at The Unnamable. After that, Monterey has his encounter in the Plateau of Leng and gets back 1 Stamina. Then I'll do the Mythos Phase, followed by my Upkeep Phase in Turn 15.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:00 am
by Mr. Handy
Looks like you skipped Gloria's Upkeep phase, Kabukiman. You also might want to reconsider not adjusting your sliders. If you actually intend to close the gate, you should use your Fight score, but you don't have enough Focus to get it up to 5 because you didn't raise it last turn. If you move it so that your Fight is 3 this turn, you can get it to 5 in the following turn if you fail to close the gate with Lore this turn. However, it may be better to not even try to close the gate. You can't seal it, but Gloria or Dexter can, so if you leave it open one of us could do so. The other gates are blocked off by monsters, and R'lyeh is next to impossible to seal under the current conditions without an Elder Sign.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:34 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy, does the Dhole return to the cup? I'm unsure, however somewhere in the expansion rules it states 'in Arkham' also refers to Dunwich and Kingsport; so, for me, that includes the outskirts as well. (Anyway, the Dhole remains at the Outskirts.)
The Ghouls move from Southside to Uptown & Gug moves from Downtown to Northside - did you get this wrong or is something else going on?, or am I wrong? :D

kabukiman, as Mr. Handy says, do not close the gate to Plateau of Leng when you return from there this turn. Gloria will enter there next turn, armed with 5 Clues to seal the gate.

Player Order Turn 15
Dexter
Gloria
Monty

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:44 pm
by kabukiman
Ok, I will not close the gate. Since I have several trophies and cannot expend them, maybe it's better that I give one to Gloria?

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:19 pm
by Mr. Handy
The Dhole remains in the Outskirts. From how I read the rules, monsters in the Outskirts don't count as "in Arkham." They are returned to the cup when gates are closed because the rules specifically say monsters "in Arkham, in the Sky, and in the Outskirts." The Sky is mentioned elsewhere as being considered in Akrham, but the Outskirts are not. The Gug moved from Uptown to Southside (it traded places with the Ghouls). I accidentally said Downtown instead, but I edited it.

Trophies are not transferrable. They must be earned. You can spend them, though.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:21 pm
by Mr. Handy
I believe the Press Pass is in Kingsport Horror, so you should draw a different item.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:31 pm
by Tabs
Bum. Will do.

Edit: Shotgun

Player Order Turn 16
Gloria
Monty
Dexter

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:53 pm
by kabukiman
What do you think more important? To continue the hunt of monsters, or trying to get an elder sign in the curiosity shop?

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:24 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'd say killing monsters, especially considering that you don't quite have the $5 needed to buy an Elder Sign if you come across one, and that Gloria and Dexter are on their way to seal the last two gates needed to win. If you happen to find one in an encounter, great. If one of us doesn't survive, we'll need your help. You can also get three clues at the Science Building to bring yourself up to 5 (one lying around and two more from selling monster trophies). However, this turn you'll need to fight that Nightgaunt. You won't be able to sneak past it, and you can't risk getting thrown into the gate. If Gloria seals it while you're still in the Other World, you'll be eaten by Yoggie.

I think it might be less risky for Dexter to sneak past the Gug rather than fight it. If I fight it, even in the best case, I still lose 1 Sanity and 1 Stamina minimum (and I won't have the powder any more), and I'm injured enough as it is. By sneaking I can avoid all that, though I may need to burn some Clues. If I get hit once, I go down. Once I seal the Dreamlands gate, all Gugs and Nightgaunts will go back to the cup anyway.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:28 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy, here is your OW encounter:
The Dreamlands
Touring the perfumed jungles of Kied, you come across an ancient ivory palace. Pass a Luck (-1) check to explore it without getting caught. Draw 1 Spell. If you fail the check, lose 1 item of your choice.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:35 pm
by Mr. Handy
Both of our Gate cards have already come up since the last time I know the Gate deck was shuffled. Did you draw The Stars Are Right at some point?

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:38 pm
by Tabs
No, I did not draw The Stars Are Right, but I have played another 3 games of AH using the gate deck.
Here is another for you:
Yuggoth Celeano Other
Monsters lurk everywhere. Pass a Sneak (-2) check or stay here next turn.

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:12 pm
by Mr. Handy
Oh, that explains it. I haven't played any other games during this one, and I've left the board set up the whole time. Your own Gate card was also one of the ones that had already been drawn. I thought you were keeping track of which Gate cards had already been drawn (whether used or discarded) and removed them before drawing. Your own Gate card was already drawn too, so you'll need a new one for yourself too, and yours would come first. That means this would be a card that you would have drawn for your own encounter, and then discarded since Plateau of Leng doesn't have blue as one of its colors.

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:50 pm
by Tabs
I have just drawn a gate card for Gloria, Red: Abyss Plateau of Leng Other. A monster appears from the shadows! I will go and draw a monster from the cup... Formless Spawn - Arrrgggh! Hang on, I forgot Gloria's special ability, draw a 2nd gate card, Green: The Dreamlands Celeano Other. Pass a Fight (-2) check to pry open a grate you find built into the wall. Inside you find something fascinating. Draw 1 Unique Item - Holy Water.

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
Remember that you can always use the Dragon's Eye to draw a new one. After you resolve your encounter, please draw a Gate card for me. I'll then process my own encounter and the Mythos card.

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:06 pm
by Tabs
Red: Plateau of Leng The Dreamlands Other.
Avalanche! Pass a Speed (-1) check or lose 3 Stamina.

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:11 pm
by kabukiman
Any monster you need to be killed? Or do you prefer a loan of 2$? 8-)

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:55 pm
by Mr. Handy
You'll have to kill the Witch before you do anything else. You can't sneak away from her and still get anywhere good. You also can't trade stuff with us while we're off in other dimensions. You're the first player for Turn 17, so go ahead and do your Upkeep Phase. Then I'll do mine. I'm still going to cast Find Gate and close the Dreamlands gate even though I can't seal it, as it'll send those Gugs and the Nightgaunt back to the box. After that I'll head to the Silver Twilight Lodge.

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:16 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy, the gate card was a stinker, a 3 Stamina loss for a failed check is harsh.

kabukiman, she is beautiful (the Witch), but I bet she is not friendly!

Innsmouth Horror is due out in the USA next week, the rulebook pdf link is here:
http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_c ... _rules.pdf

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:32 pm
by kabukiman
Cool! Unfortunely I will only be able to buy new expansions after october.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:00 am
by Mr. Handy
I saw that on the FFG site earlier, and I've been looking forward to Innsmouth Horror for a long time. I knew they were saving the best for last! 8-) I probably won't have a chance to buy it until late November.

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy
Monterey should go ahead and decide which monster trophies he's selling now, since he's the only one having an encounter in Arkham. The Star Spawn is currently worth 4 Toughness while R'lyeh Rising is in effect, so maybe you should cash in that one and one of the 1 Toughness monsters (zombie or cultist would be a good choice).

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:51 pm
by Tabs
Mr. Handy, your OW encounter-
Yellow: City of the Great Race Yuggoth Other
An alien mind forces its way into your body. Pass a Luck (-2) check to guess a way to drive it out, gaining 2 Clue tokens in the process, or else stay here next turn, serving as its host body.

I just noted Dexter's Luck is 3, 1 success away from victory! (Well, in a short while, and if Gloria and Dexter can seal their gates.)

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:51 pm
by kabukiman
I'l keep the cultist for sentimental reasons :mrgreen:

Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:33 am
by Mr. Handy
Okay, I'll assume you trade in the Star Spawn and the Zombie for 2 Clues. My encounter doesn't require me to draw a monster from the cup anyway, so it won't affect me yet. The Witch and the Fire Vampire also had only 1 Toughness, but they're even more dangerous, and the Witch has sentimental value too. ;) The Zombie can be dangerous too, but at least it's susceptible to magic, unlike the Cultist.

The really nice thing about my encounter is that the Luck skill allows me to spend one Clue to get an extra two dice if needed, and if I succeed I'll be back up to 5 (or 6 if I manage to succeed without needing to spend the Clue). This doesn't mean automatic victory, however. Rolling to close those gates will be tough. Even if Gloria keeps her Blessing, she still has a significant chance to fail to get 2 successes with 4 dice (but she can always stay and try again next turn). I'll only have 3 dice to get 2 successes, so I'm unlikely to pull it off in one go. In theory we can win in Turn 19, as I can use Find Gate to get back.

Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
Did you forget you have the Dragon's Eye? Wouldn't it make more sense to spend 1 Sanity to draw a new card instead of risking death?

Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:40 pm
by Tabs
Yes, I did forget Dragon's Eye - I enjoyed my little story, too. I'll draw another gate card tomorrow, 3rd time lucky.

Edit- I drew a nice encounter and have amended my post. Importantly I still have 5 Clues.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Nice! In light of recent events, I have a new plan for us for the next couple of turns. If two more gates open on the Black Cave and Silver Twilight Lodge, Yoggie wakes up and we'll probably lose. We need to win first. Gloria will return this turn and should try to close and seal the gate. If the roll fails, don't burn any Clue tokens. Just stay there and try again next turn. Closing gates without sealing them will just make Yog-Sothoth wake up faster. I shouldn't have closed the gate at the Unvisited Isle, but I thought we'd win quickly and wasn't expecting a gate to open right on the same spot before I could move off. Monterery needs to take his 5 Clue tokens and go through the gate at The Witch House to the City of the Great Race. If he makes it through, it'll be Turn 21 when he gets back and tries to seal the gate. On that turn he'll need to have his Fight at 5 so he has the best chance to close and seal that gate. Likewise, he can't afford to spend any Clue tokens unless that's the only way to avoid being devoured. Dexter will cast Find Gate this turn and kill the Cultist (I'll up my Fight and Lore by 1 each). Then next turn I'll probably head to the Easttown streets and pump all of my Clue tokens into keeping Good Work Undone suppressed. We don't need to pass the Rumor, just keep it from failing until the game's over. I'll try to read Cultes Des Goules before I move in the hopes of getting an extra Clue. If no new Clues are added to the rumor at the end of this turn, I may move to the Science Building instead and pick up 2 more, hoping to be able to shut down that rumor in one go on Turn 21. Then we'll all get a Unique Item (Monterey gets 2 draws), and if one of them is an Elder Sign that will guarantee sealing a gate for either of you two. If I get an Elder Sign I can still make for a gate if either of you two didn't make it, or I could run for a gate instead of defusing the rumor and hope to seal it before time runs out.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:58 pm
by Tabs
Sounds like a plan!

Player Order Turn 19
Gloria
Monty
Dexter

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:12 am
by Mr. Handy
I think Monterey should increase his Luck to 3. Luck is the skill most often checked in encounters, and you'll need all of the help you can get since you can't afford to use any Clue tokens.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:07 am
by kabukiman
How many clue tokens do Monterey have? 4?

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:03 am
by Tabs
I have not kept track :P , but Mr. Handy reckons 5 Clue tokens for Monty.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:15 pm
by kabukiman
Strange, I only remember 4. Well, better then.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:00 pm
by Mr. Handy
Monterey does have 5 Clues. He got 2 when I thwarted The Great Ritual, 1 more when he moved into the Science Building last turn, and then another 2 when he sold the monster trophies. After Gloria moves back to the Graveyard, Monterey can go to the Witch House where the gate opened. Then I'll cast Find Gate to try to get back to Arkham. Gloria will try to seal the gate during the Arkham Encounter phase. I won't have an encounter if I successfully get back to Arkham, so in that case Tabs should draw a Gate card for Monterey at that point.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:00 am
by Tabs
I thought Play@YSDC and this game were gone forever!

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:27 pm
by Carcosannoble
Hurray! I love Arkham Horror!

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:28 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, Carcosannoble! I love Arkham Horror too, and this is the only chance I've had to play with other people so far, though it's great fun playing solo too. This game is almost over, but maybe we could start a new one afterwards, perhaps with an expansion, if you'd like to play too.

Monterey now needs to move to the Witch House where the gate opened. Then Dexter can cast Find Gate and try to come back to Arkham.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:54 pm
by Carcosannoble
Thanks Mr. Handy! I'd be more than pleased to play in the next game. I happen to own all of the expansions... I bet you can't guess which one is my favorite! *laughs*

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:08 pm
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome! I've got all of the expansions too (except Innsmouth, which just came out). The King In Yellow is a fun one, and we could add that in next game. For the second game we should probably only use one expansion, and one of the smaller ones at that. If we get enough people wanting to play again, I can add a subforum to store the threads from the first game after it's over.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:30 am
by kabukiman
I have only one expansion, the Dunwitch, so to play another expansion, someone should draw the cards for me.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:26 pm
by Tabs
For another game lets include Dunwich since kabukiman has that expansion. And currently, it is Monty's movement turn 19 :).

Carcosannoble, it will be great if you join too.

I intend to post our IC thread on boardgamegeek as a session. What do you think?

On the Monday after Play@YSDC went down I got Innsmouth. I played (over 3 days, off and on) a mega solo session with 8 new investigators against um, Q I thingy; the AO with the Dust deck. Anyway, it was good fun and as you may already be aware, Innsmouth is themetastic - Mr. Handy & kabukiman, put it at the top of your wish list.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:12 pm
by kabukiman
Done!

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy
I probably won't have a chance to get Innsmouth until November, but I've been looking forward to it ever since I first got Arkham Horror and noticed the distinct lack of Deep Ones. I knew they were saving the best for last! Although, who says it has to be the last? There are so many boards, cards, and other components now, but there's no reason FFG couldn't produce more - or better still produce stand-alone Arkham Horror variants (perhaps with their own expansions) in other settings and/or eras. Gaslight-era London would rock!

Next game we'll play Arkham+Dunwich, then.

I really like the idea of posting the IC thread on boardgamegeek. We've put a lot of work into it, and it's working out great. I just hope we win!

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:11 am
by Tabs
Monty's OW encounter, City of the Great Race.
Yellow: R'lyeh Yuggoth Other
You are not safe here. A monster appears!

Dexter's OW encounter, Yuggoth.
Blue: Abyss Celeano Other
Pass a Fight (-1) check to hang on to your prize despite the wind. Draw 1 Spell.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:05 am
by Mr. Handy
Monterey's encounter is listed above. A monster (drawn from the cup) appears and he has to fight or evade it. As much as I'd like him to have a couple of extra Clues, the encounter will need to be edited. Then I'll resolve my own encounter and then the Mythos phase.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:27 am
by Tabs
Ha, ha! You meanie, Mr. Handy :). However, I have posted the OW encounters so far, so we should not change our procedure. When you draw a monster kabukiman, double check it is not on the board or a trophy.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:37 pm
by kabukiman
Sorry guys, but I thought that the text that we had to use was from the city where the character was in. My mistake.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:58 pm
by Mr. Handy
That's okay. If your dimension's name isn't shown on the card, you just use the Other encounter (as long as the color matches). Also, don't forget that two Mi-Go have been returned to the box after being cashed in for Unique Items and are out of the game. If you like, I can draw a monster for you instead, as I have everything already set up. Don't forget that you have the Bravery skill if you fail your Horror check.

The monsters that shouldn't be in the cup are:
Mi-Go, Mi-Go (removed from the game)
Cultist, Ghoul, Ghoul (in Arkham)
High Priest, Warlock, Maniac, Ghost (in the Outskirts)
Cultist, Cultist, Cultist, Fire Vampire, Nightgaunt, Witch, Ghost, Byakhee (taken as trophies)

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:23 am
by kabukiman
Well, if it isn't ask too much, I would prefer that you draw the monster...

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:31 am
by Mr. Handy
Congratulations! It's another Witch! No Horror check needed, 1 Toughness, and -3 Combat rating (causing 2 Stamina damage). Your whip and .38 should make quick work of her. The Sword of Glory would only give you +3 because of her Magical Resistance. This gives you 5 dice looking for one success, plus you can use your whip's special ability to reroll one even if they all fail.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:02 am
by Tabs
A Witch, will Monterey have any stamina left, after his last encounter?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:25 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, he still has the maximum of 7 Stamina. Even if he loses the first round, he'd still just take 2 damage and have 5 left. It's Sanity that he has to watch out for, as he's down to 2, but fortunately the Witch does not have a Horror rating or cause Sanity damage. I was wrong above, he'll only have 4 dice (plus one reroll) with the .38 and the whip, but that should still be enough for one success. Even if it's not, he'll just get hurt a little and will probably win in round 2. Kabukiman, go ahead and fight the Witch. After that's done, I'll handle my encounter and the Mythos phase so we can wrap up Turn 19.

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy
All right, it's now Turn 20. Monterey Jack is now the first player. We're in good shape thanks to Gloria sealing that fifth Gate and on track to hopefully win in 2 turns! Just in case we need to buy more time, Gloria should go to the Science Building, pick up the Clue, and cash in a Gate trophy for 2 more. On Turn 21 she can go to the Easttown streets to keep Good Work Undone suppressed. I'll do the same thing that turn (next turn I'll be returning to Arkham).

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:40 am
by Tabs
Player Order - Turn 20
Monty
Dexter
Gloria

Yep, okay, Gloria will go to the Science Building.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:30 am
by Tabs
kabukiman, here is Monterey's OW encounter for the City of the Great Race.
Green: City of the Great Race Celeano Other
You find yourself in an ancient and abandoned temple. Pass a Luck (-1) check to find a golden statue worth $10. However, if you take it, you are Cursed.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:39 pm
by kabukiman
Can I refuse to take the statue?

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:14 pm
by Tabs
yes, you can refuse.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:00 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, and that's a good idea. You'll probably never be able to close the gate if you're Cursed, and money doesn't mean anything at this stage. I'll process the Mythos Phase now, and then my Upkeep Phase in Turn 21. We're in the home stretch now!

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:33 pm
by Tabs
Player Order Turn 21
Dexter
Gloria
Monty

kabukiman, we and all of Arkham are relying on Monterey to seal the gate next turn - no pressure!

Edit: This turn (21).

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:31 pm
by kabukiman
I have the bad habit of rolling one dice after the other. When it was time to roll the last dice, I had just one "5",and I thougth it would be improbable to have any luck in the last, but after all, the stars weren't right...

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
Nicely done! It turns out that we were 19 Mythos cards away from a Gate opening at the Silver Twilight Lodge (never did get a chance to use my membership), so we had plenty of time after all. Arkham would have most likely been overrun by monsters well before we got to that point if we weren't sealing gates.

Our final score is as follows:
Doom track length: 12
- Terror level (4): 8
+ unspent gate trophies (4; includes the final Gate): 12
+ batches of 3 unspent monster trophies (3; 10 trophies in all): 15
+ sane, surviving investigators (3): 18

That's a much better score than I've ever gotten with a single investigator!

I'll create a subforum where you can move the old threads from the first game. Then when you're ready to start a new one, you can put the new threads in the main forum.

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:03 am
by Tabs
18 - this is a fine score.

I am going to do the session report using the IC thread, I thought to reveal the OOC button and then copy a page; shall I post it here first? Edit: On second thought I may post a link to the IC thread.

For Arkham + Dunwich I will post in the '...I'm Thinking Of Running A Game' thread, with a view to starting in a few weeks. So are we hoping for 1-2 more players or another 5?

Mr. Handy, you did a good job handling the Mythos Phase, thank you.

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:24 am
by kabukiman
And thanks for the patience with my mistakes. By the way, I will make a report about the game in a forum of rpg/boardgames I belong in Portugal, to publicize it

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome! We already have 4 players now that Carcosannoble is joining us, which is ideal, but we can support up to 4 more if we get enough interest.

You can make a new post in your original Arkham Horror thread instead of making a new thread.

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:16 pm
by Tabs
Regarding the session report, I have done some testing and have decided to post the IC thread at BGG. It will take a week or so, when done I will put a link here.