OOC Discussion & Chat

The fabric between dimensions is weakening, and portals to other worlds begin opening all over Arkham, unleashing strange creatures into the city. A band of crazed cultists attempts to summon Yog-Sothoth, putting all of humanity in danger. Psychic author Gloria Goldberg, renowned archaeologist Monterey Jack, and powerful magician Dexter Drake are all that stand in the way of total destruction of all we hold dear. Can they succeed in their desparate race against time?

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: OOC Discussion & Chat

Post by Tabs »

kabukiman, this site is okay for me. A new computer always causes a headache.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I haven't had any problems either.

After I have my Arkham Encounter, it'll be Gloria's turn to have one at The Unnamable. After that, Monterey has his encounter in the Plateau of Leng and gets back 1 Stamina. Then I'll do the Mythos Phase, followed by my Upkeep Phase in Turn 15.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Looks like you skipped Gloria's Upkeep phase, Kabukiman. You also might want to reconsider not adjusting your sliders. If you actually intend to close the gate, you should use your Fight score, but you don't have enough Focus to get it up to 5 because you didn't raise it last turn. If you move it so that your Fight is 3 this turn, you can get it to 5 in the following turn if you fail to close the gate with Lore this turn. However, it may be better to not even try to close the gate. You can't seal it, but Gloria or Dexter can, so if you leave it open one of us could do so. The other gates are blocked off by monsters, and R'lyeh is next to impossible to seal under the current conditions without an Elder Sign.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy, does the Dhole return to the cup? I'm unsure, however somewhere in the expansion rules it states 'in Arkham' also refers to Dunwich and Kingsport; so, for me, that includes the outskirts as well. (Anyway, the Dhole remains at the Outskirts.)
The Ghouls move from Southside to Uptown & Gug moves from Downtown to Northside - did you get this wrong or is something else going on?, or am I wrong? :D

kabukiman, as Mr. Handy says, do not close the gate to Plateau of Leng when you return from there this turn. Gloria will enter there next turn, armed with 5 Clues to seal the gate.

Player Order Turn 15
Dexter
Gloria
Monty
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

Ok, I will not close the gate. Since I have several trophies and cannot expend them, maybe it's better that I give one to Gloria?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The Dhole remains in the Outskirts. From how I read the rules, monsters in the Outskirts don't count as "in Arkham." They are returned to the cup when gates are closed because the rules specifically say monsters "in Arkham, in the Sky, and in the Outskirts." The Sky is mentioned elsewhere as being considered in Akrham, but the Outskirts are not. The Gug moved from Uptown to Southside (it traded places with the Ghouls). I accidentally said Downtown instead, but I edited it.

Trophies are not transferrable. They must be earned. You can spend them, though.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I believe the Press Pass is in Kingsport Horror, so you should draw a different item.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Bum. Will do.

Edit: Shotgun

Player Order Turn 16
Gloria
Monty
Dexter
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

What do you think more important? To continue the hunt of monsters, or trying to get an elder sign in the curiosity shop?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'd say killing monsters, especially considering that you don't quite have the $5 needed to buy an Elder Sign if you come across one, and that Gloria and Dexter are on their way to seal the last two gates needed to win. If you happen to find one in an encounter, great. If one of us doesn't survive, we'll need your help. You can also get three clues at the Science Building to bring yourself up to 5 (one lying around and two more from selling monster trophies). However, this turn you'll need to fight that Nightgaunt. You won't be able to sneak past it, and you can't risk getting thrown into the gate. If Gloria seals it while you're still in the Other World, you'll be eaten by Yoggie.

I think it might be less risky for Dexter to sneak past the Gug rather than fight it. If I fight it, even in the best case, I still lose 1 Sanity and 1 Stamina minimum (and I won't have the powder any more), and I'm injured enough as it is. By sneaking I can avoid all that, though I may need to burn some Clues. If I get hit once, I go down. Once I seal the Dreamlands gate, all Gugs and Nightgaunts will go back to the cup anyway.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy, here is your OW encounter:
The Dreamlands
Touring the perfumed jungles of Kied, you come across an ancient ivory palace. Pass a Luck (-1) check to explore it without getting caught. Draw 1 Spell. If you fail the check, lose 1 item of your choice.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Both of our Gate cards have already come up since the last time I know the Gate deck was shuffled. Did you draw The Stars Are Right at some point?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

No, I did not draw The Stars Are Right, but I have played another 3 games of AH using the gate deck.
Here is another for you:
Yuggoth Celeano Other
Monsters lurk everywhere. Pass a Sneak (-2) check or stay here next turn.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Oh, that explains it. I haven't played any other games during this one, and I've left the board set up the whole time. Your own Gate card was also one of the ones that had already been drawn. I thought you were keeping track of which Gate cards had already been drawn (whether used or discarded) and removed them before drawing. Your own Gate card was already drawn too, so you'll need a new one for yourself too, and yours would come first. That means this would be a card that you would have drawn for your own encounter, and then discarded since Plateau of Leng doesn't have blue as one of its colors.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I have just drawn a gate card for Gloria, Red: Abyss Plateau of Leng Other. A monster appears from the shadows! I will go and draw a monster from the cup... Formless Spawn - Arrrgggh! Hang on, I forgot Gloria's special ability, draw a 2nd gate card, Green: The Dreamlands Celeano Other. Pass a Fight (-2) check to pry open a grate you find built into the wall. Inside you find something fascinating. Draw 1 Unique Item - Holy Water.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Remember that you can always use the Dragon's Eye to draw a new one. After you resolve your encounter, please draw a Gate card for me. I'll then process my own encounter and the Mythos card.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Red: Plateau of Leng The Dreamlands Other.
Avalanche! Pass a Speed (-1) check or lose 3 Stamina.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Any monster you need to be killed? Or do you prefer a loan of 2$? 8-)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You'll have to kill the Witch before you do anything else. You can't sneak away from her and still get anywhere good. You also can't trade stuff with us while we're off in other dimensions. You're the first player for Turn 17, so go ahead and do your Upkeep Phase. Then I'll do mine. I'm still going to cast Find Gate and close the Dreamlands gate even though I can't seal it, as it'll send those Gugs and the Nightgaunt back to the box. After that I'll head to the Silver Twilight Lodge.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy, the gate card was a stinker, a 3 Stamina loss for a failed check is harsh.

kabukiman, she is beautiful (the Witch), but I bet she is not friendly!

Innsmouth Horror is due out in the USA next week, the rulebook pdf link is here:
http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_c ... _rules.pdf

Return to “Episode 1 - The Rise of Yog-Sothoth”