OOC Discussion & Chat

The fabric between dimensions is weakening, and portals to other worlds begin opening all over Arkham, unleashing strange creatures into the city. A band of crazed cultists attempts to summon Yog-Sothoth, putting all of humanity in danger. Psychic author Gloria Goldberg, renowned archaeologist Monterey Jack, and powerful magician Dexter Drake are all that stand in the way of total destruction of all we hold dear. Can they succeed in their desparate race against time?

Moderator: Tabs

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Re: OOC Discussion & Chat

Post by kabukiman »

Cool! Unfortunely I will only be able to buy new expansions after october.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I saw that on the FFG site earlier, and I've been looking forward to Innsmouth Horror for a long time. I knew they were saving the best for last! 8-) I probably won't have a chance to buy it until late November.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Monterey should go ahead and decide which monster trophies he's selling now, since he's the only one having an encounter in Arkham. The Star Spawn is currently worth 4 Toughness while R'lyeh Rising is in effect, so maybe you should cash in that one and one of the 1 Toughness monsters (zombie or cultist would be a good choice).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy, your OW encounter-
Yellow: City of the Great Race Yuggoth Other
An alien mind forces its way into your body. Pass a Luck (-2) check to guess a way to drive it out, gaining 2 Clue tokens in the process, or else stay here next turn, serving as its host body.

I just noted Dexter's Luck is 3, 1 success away from victory! (Well, in a short while, and if Gloria and Dexter can seal their gates.)
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

I'l keep the cultist for sentimental reasons :mrgreen:
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, I'll assume you trade in the Star Spawn and the Zombie for 2 Clues. My encounter doesn't require me to draw a monster from the cup anyway, so it won't affect me yet. The Witch and the Fire Vampire also had only 1 Toughness, but they're even more dangerous, and the Witch has sentimental value too. ;) The Zombie can be dangerous too, but at least it's susceptible to magic, unlike the Cultist.

The really nice thing about my encounter is that the Luck skill allows me to spend one Clue to get an extra two dice if needed, and if I succeed I'll be back up to 5 (or 6 if I manage to succeed without needing to spend the Clue). This doesn't mean automatic victory, however. Rolling to close those gates will be tough. Even if Gloria keeps her Blessing, she still has a significant chance to fail to get 2 successes with 4 dice (but she can always stay and try again next turn). I'll only have 3 dice to get 2 successes, so I'm unlikely to pull it off in one go. In theory we can win in Turn 19, as I can use Find Gate to get back.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Did you forget you have the Dragon's Eye? Wouldn't it make more sense to spend 1 Sanity to draw a new card instead of risking death?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Yes, I did forget Dragon's Eye - I enjoyed my little story, too. I'll draw another gate card tomorrow, 3rd time lucky.

Edit- I drew a nice encounter and have amended my post. Importantly I still have 5 Clues.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Nice! In light of recent events, I have a new plan for us for the next couple of turns. If two more gates open on the Black Cave and Silver Twilight Lodge, Yoggie wakes up and we'll probably lose. We need to win first. Gloria will return this turn and should try to close and seal the gate. If the roll fails, don't burn any Clue tokens. Just stay there and try again next turn. Closing gates without sealing them will just make Yog-Sothoth wake up faster. I shouldn't have closed the gate at the Unvisited Isle, but I thought we'd win quickly and wasn't expecting a gate to open right on the same spot before I could move off. Monterery needs to take his 5 Clue tokens and go through the gate at The Witch House to the City of the Great Race. If he makes it through, it'll be Turn 21 when he gets back and tries to seal the gate. On that turn he'll need to have his Fight at 5 so he has the best chance to close and seal that gate. Likewise, he can't afford to spend any Clue tokens unless that's the only way to avoid being devoured. Dexter will cast Find Gate this turn and kill the Cultist (I'll up my Fight and Lore by 1 each). Then next turn I'll probably head to the Easttown streets and pump all of my Clue tokens into keeping Good Work Undone suppressed. We don't need to pass the Rumor, just keep it from failing until the game's over. I'll try to read Cultes Des Goules before I move in the hopes of getting an extra Clue. If no new Clues are added to the rumor at the end of this turn, I may move to the Science Building instead and pick up 2 more, hoping to be able to shut down that rumor in one go on Turn 21. Then we'll all get a Unique Item (Monterey gets 2 draws), and if one of them is an Elder Sign that will guarantee sealing a gate for either of you two. If I get an Elder Sign I can still make for a gate if either of you two didn't make it, or I could run for a gate instead of defusing the rumor and hope to seal it before time runs out.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Sounds like a plan!

Player Order Turn 19
Gloria
Monty
Dexter
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I think Monterey should increase his Luck to 3. Luck is the skill most often checked in encounters, and you'll need all of the help you can get since you can't afford to use any Clue tokens.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

How many clue tokens do Monterey have? 4?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I have not kept track :P , but Mr. Handy reckons 5 Clue tokens for Monty.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Strange, I only remember 4. Well, better then.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Monterey does have 5 Clues. He got 2 when I thwarted The Great Ritual, 1 more when he moved into the Science Building last turn, and then another 2 when he sold the monster trophies. After Gloria moves back to the Graveyard, Monterey can go to the Witch House where the gate opened. Then I'll cast Find Gate to try to get back to Arkham. Gloria will try to seal the gate during the Arkham Encounter phase. I won't have an encounter if I successfully get back to Arkham, so in that case Tabs should draw a Gate card for Monterey at that point.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I thought Play@YSDC and this game were gone forever!
Carcosannoble
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Carcosannoble »

Hurray! I love Arkham Horror!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome back, Carcosannoble! I love Arkham Horror too, and this is the only chance I've had to play with other people so far, though it's great fun playing solo too. This game is almost over, but maybe we could start a new one afterwards, perhaps with an expansion, if you'd like to play too.

Monterey now needs to move to the Witch House where the gate opened. Then Dexter can cast Find Gate and try to come back to Arkham.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Carcosannoble
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Carcosannoble »

Thanks Mr. Handy! I'd be more than pleased to play in the next game. I happen to own all of the expansions... I bet you can't guess which one is my favorite! *laughs*
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome! I've got all of the expansions too (except Innsmouth, which just came out). The King In Yellow is a fun one, and we could add that in next game. For the second game we should probably only use one expansion, and one of the smaller ones at that. If we get enough people wanting to play again, I can add a subforum to store the threads from the first game after it's over.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 1 - The Rise of Yog-Sothoth”