OOC Discussion & Chat

The fabric between dimensions is weakening, and portals to other worlds begin opening all over Arkham, unleashing strange creatures into the city. A band of crazed cultists attempts to summon Yog-Sothoth, putting all of humanity in danger. Psychic author Gloria Goldberg, renowned archaeologist Monterey Jack, and powerful magician Dexter Drake are all that stand in the way of total destruction of all we hold dear. Can they succeed in their desparate race against time?

Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: OOC Discussion & Chat

Post by Mr. Handy »

It's better to seal more gates sooner rather than later, especially considering how many turns it takes to have the opportunity. Each of us has 5 Clue Tokens, so if we're very lucky we can get three gates sealed quickly. This will give us space to breathe a little easier.

Remember that you can return to either the Science Building or Independence Square. The square has the Ghost on it, and while you don't have to encounter it on the turn you come back, I think you still have the option. It would be a tough fight even with the Wither spell, but Gloria does have higher Will than the rest of us. Neither location has a gate open all that frequently, but it might be better to shut the one on the Science Building because of its special ability. I wouldn't trade in gate trophies considering that Yoggie is the Ancient One, and there are probably better uses for monster trophies, but if we get desperate for clues it's nice to know it's there. Not a single Elder Sign has come up yet, but hopefully we'll be able to find at least one at some point. If you don't get two successes when you try to close the gate, it may be better to wait and try again next turn than to burn clues and prevent yourself from being able to seal it. Remember that you don't have to leave the location the following turn, and you retain your explored marker as long as you stay there.

Okay, you can draw all of the Gate cards, and I'll draw the Mythos cards.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

There are so many possible options, it is easy to forget - I remembered in Gloria's post she could return to Independence Square but did not remember in my previous OOC post here. Gloria does not fancy fighting the Ghost so she will return to the Science Building.
Regarding fighting a monster on returning from other worlds I always played an investigator has a turn's grace in order to close/seal a gate, period. I have the Rulebook in front of me and it states, "...an investigator does not have to..."; so yes, the option is open.

kabukiman - it is your turn, encounter at The Witch House. And how is your back?
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

Hi guys! I'm better. Yesterday I couldn't even dress myself; after several hours in the hospital waiting, they examined me and concluded it just a problem with my muscles (they were afraid I had a problem with my lungs). Heavy medication and in a couple of days I should be fine. I can work thanks to the painkillers, but must be careful, so I will post slowly.
I will draw today my encounter card (couldn't do it yesterday, it was too painful to move).
About the upkeep: I corrected, but please confirm if I have done it. I simply forgot that the focus limited the amount of points I could change in the skills.
By the way, can I draw another clue? Or since I have already draw it once, I cannot do it again?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

kabukiman, it sounds like you are ill, take it easy; we need you to complete this game!!!!!!!!!!!!
Upkeep looks okay now, and you do not get another Clue Token.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome back, and I'm glad you're doing better! After you draw your encounter in the Witch House, I'll carry out the Mythos phase, and then Turn 4 will begin with Tabs as the first player.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

With so low sanity, I must be really careful. I can try to kill that cultist (I have weapons that alowed that). Should I increase the will?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Congratulations Mr. Handy, nice draw. :P

Gloria will return to the Science Building from Celeano, try to seal the gate this turn and fight the Dark Young next turn; fingers crossed. Edit: I forgot Gloria's Flesh Ward Spell, maybe she'll fight the DY on her return.

kabukiman, Cultists have Magical Immunity and a Combat rating of -1, but I reckon your .38 & Bull Whip should do the job; so yes, increase your Will. And you have the Bravery skill, (is that a re-roll of a Horror check?).

Turn 4 Player Order
Gloria Goldberg
Monterey Jack
Dexter Drake
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I have created a new thread 'Arkham Horror Board' and included the game status, gates, monsters etc. Any mistakes, please shout.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, Bravery allows rerolling of Horror checks. Cultists don't have a Horror rating, so Monterey doesn't need to worry about that this turn. His Fight skill plus his weapons give him a total of 5 dice, and he only needs one hit. He can also use the whip's special ability to reroll a die if they miss, effectively giving him 6.

Be careful about the Dark Young. Remember that it has Physical Resistance, so your .45 only gives you +2. Wither will help a lot, but even so, with 3 Toughness and only 6 dice it's anything but certain you'll win. You need to be sure that the gate gets sealed, as if you go unconscious you'll lose your explored marker, so I'd decline to encounter the DY this turn. Next turn you can raise your Fight and get an extra die and then have an encounter at the Science Building if you win the fight (or make a second attempt to seal the gate if the first one fails).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Combat takes place during the Movement phase, so Monterey should go ahead and waste that cultist. That way the street will be clear when it's my turn to move.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

I will do that this night.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy, your OW encounter:

Other
Pass a Luck (-1) check to discover a cache of ancient papers containing valuable information about the Mythos. Gain 1 Clue token for every success you rolled on your Luck check.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Nice! I'll go process my Encounter phases, and then I'll draw the Mythos card.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

That was a great post for your movement phase, kabukiman. The ending, 'Monterey immediately shot him.' is classic.

Mr. Handy, that is a hell of a set of poor dice results; my rolling has been phenomenal, my luck will change and now I fear for Gloria fighting the Dark Young.

Mythos Phase, would you do it, thanks.

Turn 5 Player Order
Monterey Jack
Dexter Drake
Gloria Goldberg
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

No problem. At least I got a turn of good luck with my Other World encounter. Still short by 2 Clue Tokens, but maybe I'll get something in my second encounter next turn. I'd settle for not going insane, though.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Thanks! I thought it was really the time to make a special post. By the way, I have several persons in my house the next days, so I will be a bit more irregular (since I need to babysitt the persons).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Before Monterey can go to the Asylum, he has to deal with the Mi-Go that's with him in the Downtown streets (either by evading or fighting it). If you successfully sneak past it, you won't face it at all and can make it to the Asylum, but if you fail it will do its combat damage to you before the fight starts. Once the fight starts, your movement for the turn will end in the Downtown streets. You'll need to make the Horror check to avoid going insane (and getting to the Asylum a different way); remember that you have the Bravery skill if you fail the roll, as it will allow you to reroll. You also have 5 Clue Tokens saved up in case you need them. If you win the combat, you'll actually get to draw 2 Unique Items and pick one to keep (discarding the other), and that Mi-Go will be removed from the game. I'm not sure what you mean about drawing an extra Clue Token; how would you get one?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

kabukiman, I would fight the Mi-Go, you are bound to win and can gain a Unique Item, like Mr. Handy says.
Also there are only 3 Clue Tokens on the board at the moment that can be picked up: Hibb's Roadhouse, Black Cave and Historical Society.

I have listed everything, (monsters, gates, etc.) under the Arkham Board thread. Personally, I have packed away my board, it was getting in my way.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

I thought there was a clue to get in the asylum. Ok, I will fight the Mi-Go.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Good job beating that Dark Young! You also only lose 3 Sanity, not 4. Nightmarish 1 means you lose 1 Sanity if you succeed at your Horror check. If you fail (which you did), you just lose the normal 3.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 1 - The Rise of Yog-Sothoth”