OOC Discussion & Chat

The fabric between dimensions is weakening, and portals to other worlds begin opening all over Arkham, unleashing strange creatures into the city. A band of crazed cultists attempts to summon Yog-Sothoth, putting all of humanity in danger. Psychic author Gloria Goldberg, renowned archaeologist Monterey Jack, and powerful magician Dexter Drake are all that stand in the way of total destruction of all we hold dear. Can they succeed in their desparate race against time?

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

OOC Discussion & Chat

Post by Tabs »

Hey! It's fun doing this. :D

About this game, it will be the base set only, except:
Choice of any official investigator - there will be an Investigator thread to note their status.
Madness/Injury Cards (from Dunwich) - any player who does not have them can ask me to draw one.

The Ancient One will be drawn at random.

We shall start with our investigators, see the Investigator thread.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Re: OOC Discussion & Chat

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Just wanted to drop in and wish you good luck in Arkham!
/Dave
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The picture for Gloria Goldberg came from here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/thi ... te=alltime
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

I have only read the first 4 pages. So we can choose our investigator? And who will be the GOO?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

No problem kabukiman, we will play one step at a time and we can give you Monterey Jack's options - I am sure you will pick up the rules after a few turns.
Speed & Sneak / Fight & Will / Lore & Luck, are grouped together, so if you want Monterey to have a Speed 3 (blue), his corresponding Sneak is 1 (red) - decide now, Monterey's Focus can change these during the Upkeep Phase.

BTW do not forget Monterey's Random Possessions, 2 Unique Items and 1 Skill - shuffle those decks, take the cards and note them under your Investigator Sheet.

....And the Ancient One, I will randomly choose it tomorrow.
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by TakeSolo »

Hey, how are you guys doing this? I played an online game over at FFG forums that lasted a while. The GM running the game set up a plot seed that would get everyone started as to the "story". Everyone's turn consisted of a narrative that explained what their character was doing, each player created their own story arc within the greater plot. It was pretty awesome. Some people wrote a LOT and others just a small paragraph but it was great to see each person's story unveil itself slowly as the game went on and see characters cross each other. Are you guys doing something similar or just basic turns and movement info etc? Just wanted to say hi and see what you guys were up to!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Hi! You'd be welcome to join us. The game is best with four players, I've heard. I think we are planning on having an IC thread where we can narrate our characters' actions and encounters as part of a story.

In order to preserve the decks' integrity with multiple people drawing, we should maintain lists of which cards have already been drawn. That way we can remove the cards from our own appropriate decks and shuffle the remaining cards before we draw. For instance, you've already drawn a Food and a .45 automatic from the Common Items deck, a Wither and a Flesh Ward from the Spells deck, and a Lore card from the Skills deck, so we should remove these cards from our own decks before drawing, in order to avoid conflicts. Really, drawing possessions is skipping ahead in the setup, but we can go ahead and do it if it doesn't affect anything. I won't have time to separate out my game components until at least Wednesday, and possibly not until Friday, but Tabs, you can draw for me in the meantime if you need to and you've reached that point in the setup (Step 9).

Also, we don't have to decide yet where to place our sliders. That's in Step 10. It may be more beneficial to wait and see how the rest of setup goes up to that point before making those decisions.

I'll be playing Dexter Drake, the Magician. Keep in mind that his special ability as well as Monterey Jack's apply during setup. We draw 3 cards from the relevant deck and then choose which 2 to keep.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

TakeSolo
It will be fun to roleplay Arkham Horror and to add a story, but at first I just wanted to get the game up and running so I have not thought about a story; I will check out the threads at FFG. Also, if you are interested in joining, then please do.

Mr. Handy
I knew you would be a rules junkie :) . I must confess to a sloppy approach - whatever feels correct I do, although I try to be consistent. It must be a couple of years since I read the Rulebook. I agree with you regarding Items, Spells and Skills; remove these if another Investigator has already drawn them.
Edit: I have just been reading the Rulebook and it explicitly confirms what you say Mr. Handy, so :oops: , I will make sure I follow it, so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

The Ancient One will be Yoggy, I have started a thread for it & Mythos Card. I thought I would copy the card drawn by the 1st player in the IC Arkham Horror thread to the Yog-Sothoth & Mythos Card thread, because an Environment Mythos Card can remain in play for several turns, which will effect our checks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

We can add an IC thread to narrate our actions and encounters once the game proper starts, but we're still in setup. I do like to follow the rules as well as I can. If I don't, it doesn't really feel like a victory when I win. There have actually been four Common Items drawn: Monterey Jack has fixed possessions of a Bull Whip and a .38 Revolver, so these need to be removed from the deck as well before anyone else draws. Monterey Jack also starts with 1 Clue Token, not 2. I'm glad you guys have guns. I hope I get one too (or at least an Axe), as it won't be easy going up against Yoggie and his cultists with Dexter Drake. Trying to use magic on them is like trying to drown a Deep One.

We seem to have skipped Step 3, choosing the first player and establishing the turn order. For simplicity's sake, we can just make the order the same one in which we posted our investigators. That would make Tabs the initial first player, kabukiman second, and me third. TakeSolo, you'd be fourth if you join. I'll draw my initial cards on Wednesday night if I have a chance, but kabukiman and I should wait until TakeSolo's investigator (if any) is known, as he or she may have fixed possessions that are dealt out first before the decks are shuffled.

Not only do Environment cards remain in play, but so do those nasty Rumors as well as certain Headlines.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The turn order sounds good to me. As the first player I shall draw the Mythos Card (Game Setup 14.) and post Phase I: Upkeep - I will do it sometime Friday.

I want Gloria Goldberg to close or seal as many gates as she can and possibly avoid combat, maybe she could trade her .45 Automatic with Dexter Drake? ...We will see how things pan out.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Maybe we should make our characters complementary? I making my character strong to fight, so he can be the "sturmtruper" of the group;a nother one could be the "intelectual" of the group (I'm still in page 12).
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

How about:
Monterey Jack - Physical Monsters
Dexter Drake - Magical Monsters
Gloria Goldberg - Other Worlds. With Yog-Sothoth as the Ancient One anyone Lost In Time and Space is Devoured, so a Sneak bonus would be useful...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

While our characters can specialize, we all may need to do some things. Gloria may not want to be in combat, but sometimes it can't be avoided - and when it can't, you'll be glad you're armed. Maybe she can give Dexter her gun if they cross paths and he doesn't have one of his own at that point, but we can wait to make that decision. Gloria should definitely go to other worlds and close and seal gates, but she can't be the only one doing it - we all need to! Gloria's special ability makes it easier for her to survive trips to Other Worlds, and her Lore will help her shut those gates (which is now harder, as 2 successes are now required normally instead of 1). However, we're all going to need to accumulate at least one gate trophy (and save it, not spend it). If Yog-Sothoth awakens, we'll need those gate trophies (especially Monty and Dexter, who have the lowest Will), and the only way to stop him from awakening is to shut the gates down.

TakeSolo hasn't posted an investigator yet, so we still don't know which fixed possessions to remove from the decks before dealing out the random ones. It's also possible that TakeSolo won't join us. I'll wait until tomorrow night to draw my random items, and kabukiman could do it during the day on Thursday, perhaps. The turn order is good in another way - it moves from east to west, thus ensuring we can usually cycle through one phase per day in the proper order.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

I'm in page 20. Escaping monster is much better than figting them! Well, but I guess we still need one player to make that dirty work. I will post my draw itens this night.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Depends on the monster, some are easy to beat, but some are haaaard! Lets hope no Rumor Mythos Card is drawn - these cards can be really tough to deal with.

After I have posted in the IC Arkham Horror thread - Gloria Goldberg Upkeep - it will be kabukiman's go, therefore - Monterey Jack Upkeep.

See you at the asylum.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I went ahead and drew my Common Item: it's a Knife. Well, it's better than nothing. At least now I'll have a better chance against cultists. I also drew my Spells. The three cards were Wither, Mists of Releh, and Mists of Releh. I discarded one of the Mists of Releh cards and kept the other two, which are nice ones (and they don't cost Sanity!). Note that a Mists of Releh card is now at the bottom of the Spells deck; it should be set aside when reshuffling your own decks before you draw and then placed on the bottom. Some abilities and encounters allow you to take from the bottom of a deck, so it's important to keep track of this.

I'll wait a little before drawing from the Unique Item and Skill decks to give Kabukiman a chance to draw and post those draws first.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kabukiman, I see you've drawn your cards, but what was the third Unique Item that you discarded? I need to remove it and place it at the bottom of my deck. If you forgot to draw a third Unique Item, please do so and choose one of the three to discard.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Already done (finally finished the rules). I draw a Warding statue and a sword of glory; both seem good to fight. As a skill I have Bravery (is it good?). I discarted silver key.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Bravery is good, as it'll allow you to reroll Horror checks and keep your precious Sanity (Monty only has 3 maximum). It's also very fitting for your character. Sword of Glory is a great one too, though it won't help against Yog-Sothoth or his cultists. Warding Statue is excellent, especially if you can save it for the final battle! I drew Nameless Cults, which is appropriate for Dexter (and he can use his special ability to draw an extra Spell and choose between two of them). I was hoping at least one of us would get an Elder Sign, but at least they're all still in the deck somewhere. I drew Luck for my skill. Nice!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Just read your post now! Luckily, I had answer without knowing it. Where do I write the cards I discard? In the Investigador thread? Because the OOC isn't a oficial thread of the game.

Return to “Episode 1 - The Rise of Yog-Sothoth”