OOC Discussion & Chat

The fabric between dimensions is weakening, and portals to other worlds begin opening all over Arkham, unleashing strange creatures into the city. A band of crazed cultists attempts to summon Yog-Sothoth, putting all of humanity in danger. Psychic author Gloria Goldberg, renowned archaeologist Monterey Jack, and powerful magician Dexter Drake are all that stand in the way of total destruction of all we hold dear. Can they succeed in their desparate race against time?

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: OOC Discussion & Chat

Post by Tabs »

We can list discarded cards at the end of our Investigator Sheet. Okay, I shall start the game; any questions, comments, advice, do not hesitate to post them here.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Ok. I will post my upkeep at night (it was easy to organize the game, after all, I just open the box this week :D )
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Actually, we should have a separate post (or thread) to list drawn and discarded cards, and the order the cards are discarded for each deck.

I intend to leave my sliders alone, spend one movement point reading Nameless Cults, and then spend the other 3 going to the Historical Society and picking up the 2 Clue Tokens. I'll make an IC post once I finish setting up my board.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

New thread for discarded cards is up.

kabukiman, Mr. Handy is right about the Easttown streets - although if the Mi-Go flies Monterey can gain a Unique Item, your call.

Lovely text Mr.Handy. Miriam Beecher: a famous name to Strange Eons enthusiasts, and the Historical Society ley line: how true.

Sword of Glory & Find Gate - excellent.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Nice post Mr Handy! But your putting the stakes high ;) .
It was my (bad) decision, so I will suffer the consequences. No other way to learn.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It's not too late, as you were only stating your intentions and it was still the Upkeep phase. Now it's the Movement phase, so you make whatever move you want. Since we're past Upkeep, you can no longer adjust your Speed slider, but you can still reach Independence Square, the Unvisited Isle, or The Unnamable with 3 movement points. I had thought of the Mi-Go swooping down on you, but it can't reach you in one move. Since it's in a location and nobody is adjacent to it, any movement will put it in the Sky. Even if it did come after you, you wouldn't be able to fight it until the following turn, thus spending a second turn.

Thanks for the compliments. Chances are my other posts won't be as long or as good, but I was inspired for that intro post. I've never seen Strange Aeons; I got the name from the Arkham Horror encounter cards in Ye Olde Magick Shoppe that mentioned her. I was also just guessing about the ley line, unless I unconsciously remembered something I'd read in another encounter card.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy, I always look for hidden or alternate meaning in words, with your mention of ley lines I thought you were being uber clever. Look at the game board, the Historical Society does have a line through it - the only location to have this.
I just realised your rolls for Nameless Cults were via Invisible Castle, which is fine, however I was simply going to roll the dice; as you know certain situations require lots of rolls and I felt that it would become a nuisance. What do you think?

kabukiman, you are doing fine, in fact better than my first try of the game. Do you think newbies to Arkham Horror will benefit from the pace of a pbp game?
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Thanks! Well, remember that I can read the rules when I have some doubt and that's a great advantage (but I don't master the subleties).
About newbies: it depends of their previous experience in other game. I have played games awfully complicated (like advanced squad leader), so Arkham horror seems almost simple. And id demands patience, I don't know if newbies like to play a game for weeks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Arkham Horror requires patience even when playing it as a tabletop game. Play-by-post could be a good way to introduce newbies to the game and get them interested as well as used to the rules. For impatient types, it might help more if they read it after it's completed rather than play, as play-by-post is slow by its very nature.

Kabukiman, remember that it's your turn to have an Arkham Encounter at the Unvisited Isle. I've been waiting for you to post so I can have my encounter at the Historical Society. After that, Tabs (as the first player) can resolve the Mythos Phase and the first turn will be completed (unless one of us gets sucked through a gate). Then Kabukiman becomes first player and the second turn can begin with the Upkeep phase. I usually only have free time to post during the day on weekends. I'll be able to post for the rest of the day, but during the week I won't be able to post until the evening (Eastern U.S. time, so it's already night in Europe). However, the following week I'm off from work, so I'll be available to post during the day then and I'll have more free time.

I didn't notice any line through the Historical Society. I was just referring to the fact that it's an unstable location. Invisible Castle will actually be more convenient for making lots of rolls, especially when rolling more than 5 dice; it even counts your successes. If you want to roll real dice, that's fine.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I know ASL by reputation only, and it is a fearsome one. The heaviest board games I have played are those like Caylus, usually I play medium to light board games like Settlers or Ave Caesar - and, of course, Arkham Horror. The difficulty with AH are the number of rules and exceptions to them. Mr. Handy has already pointed out rules I have got slightly twisted; in my defence, though, as a solo player this has not been important :).
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Settlers is the most popular game here. I used to play only heavy games-ASL, The great battles of Caesar, etc. But now I don't have the time, neither my friends and the new players only play eurogames like Carcassone and Settlers.
Just made my turn.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've never played ASL either, but I have played crunchy wargames before and have a number of them (though I also have no time to play them). I tend to play a lot of eurogames like Settlers, Carcassonne, Caylus, and Power Grid at Philcon, the local convention that takes place every November. I was hoping to play Arkham Horror there, but nobody there wanted to play it. Those conventions are also where I bought my copies of Arkham Horror and its expansions.

Another great game I was just talking about on another board is Betrayal at House on the Hill, which I've played at Philcon too. Unfortunately, I found out that it's out of print and will never be reprinted. If I see it somewhere, I'll be sure to buy it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Okay, it is now turn 2, Monterey Jack Upkeep.

Gloria wants to fight the Zombie and then enter the gate at the Science Building or pick up the 2 Clue Tokens at The Witch House.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Monterey only has 3 Clue Tokens, not 4, since he started with 1 instead of 2. He has a few choices where to go. It's risky going around with 2 Sanity, so you might want to visit the asylum and get it raised back to 3 instead of having an encounter - this won't even cost any money. If you go insane, you'll either lose half of your stuff or be forced to take a crippling Madness. If you go insane in an Other World, you'll be lost in time and space and Yog-Sothoth will devour you. You might also go to the Curiosity Shoppe and go shopping. You'd get to draw 4 cards instead of 3 and then purchase one of them. There's a good chance an Elder Sign would come up. Or you can visit some other location that has a clue token.

I advise Gloria to go to the Witch House first before going into a gate. At this point in the game, there's little point in closing a gate unless you can also seal it, and for that you need at least 5 clues. I intend to go to the Silver Twilight Lodge, but if neither of you two want to go to the Witch House I'll go there instead - somebody should pick up those clues before a gate opens there.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Already corrected, I saw the unique items unstead the clue tokens.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The Zombie has not moved so Gloria can kill it at the end of her Movement and travel to Celeano in the Encounter Phase - both this turn; this is too tempting for Gloria.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

I will go to the witch house collect the clues. They are 2, correct?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, there are 2 Clue Tokens in the Witch House, which will bring you to 5 in all. That's enough to try to seal a gate, provided you don't need to use any for other purposes. Travel to Other Worlds is risky, especially with only 2 Sanity, so you may want to visit the asylum before venturing through a gate. Gloria will only be able to close the gate, not seal it, unless she lucks out and picks up another two clues in Celeano. I'll head to the Silver Twilight Lodge and pick up the clue there.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Yes, I will do that. So, with 5 clues and the full restored sanity, I should be able to survive any encounter (I hope!).
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

I have draw my card (i'm going to sleep now, because if I didn't do that, I will only be able tomorow night when I would return home, and it's not affecting the game), but I won't post until Tabs make his movement.
The witch house. You find a banquet laid out in the dining room...
I had 1 sucess, so in turn 3 I will stay at the witch house.

Return to “Episode 1 - The Rise of Yog-Sothoth”